The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

I made the poor choice of paying 20 dollars at an EB for the official Rock Band drum silencers a while ago to use with my RB1 drums.

They do help in silencing your hits but at the cost of your ability to actually hit notes. I only play drums on hard but after sticking the silencers on I was only able to hit about half of the notes I'd normally hit.

It's probably better to just avoid the silencers, plus they leave residue on the drum pads if you ever decide to take them off.

I want my 20 dollars back... :lol:

I actually do something really ghetto to silence the drums. I take some foam weatherstripping and roll it around the tips of my sticks and then wrap it all up in duct tape so it looks like a marshmallow is on top of your sticks. Reduces the sound fairly well although it does make your sticks a bit top heavy, but I've gotten used to it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']One of my friends actually went as far as to just wrap socks around his pads. I wouldn't want to get close enough to smell them.[/quote]Yeah,I believe that was the way Azuritereaction said it would reduce double hits and most of his old videos with the RB1 set have socks on them.

I was in the area of my local CC last night and decided to try to stop by and see if they still had the Track Pack Volume 2 for PS3 (I had seen it there shortly ago), but now all of their games are thrown into bins instead of on the shelf. I saw numerous 360 and PS2 copies, but I couldn't find a PS3 copy. Granted when I got there they were closing in 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's worth a trip back there to try to look again. I figure if I can get a track pack there, 30% off of the $30 is approximately $20.xx, and secondspin.com shows that they pay $11 for it, meaning if FYE would give cash at that value, I could download the Track Pack Volume 2 for approximately $10. Just an idea for those who have Circuit Cities and FYEs closeby.

I have an ACDC track pack dlc code for sale,my brother traded the disc only in but left the book at my place. Im selling ACDC dlc for $15 (cheaper than stores), pm me if interested. thanks

[quote name='DeskLaser']I was in the area of my local CC last night and decided to try to stop by and see if they still had the Track Pack Volume 2 for PS3 (I had seen it there shortly ago), but now all of their games are thrown into bins instead of on the shelf. I saw numerous 360 and PS2 copies, but I couldn't find a PS3 copy. Granted when I got there they were closing in 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's worth a trip back there to try to look again. I figure if I can get a track pack there, 30% off of the $30 is approximately $20.xx, and secondspin.com shows that they pay $11 for it, meaning if FYE would give cash at that value, I could download the Track Pack Volume 2 for approximately $10. Just an idea for those who have Circuit Cities and FYEs closeby.[/quote]

clearanced at target for $15 now.
I bought this and it won't work with my world tour guitar. It keeps stating plug in a microphone. Anyone know anything about this?

That is odd.

It should work with the World Tour stuff. Are you playing the Track Pack as a stand alone? Can you even do that?

I think the issue is that all of the track packs (AC/DC included) run off of a "shell" Rock Band 1 engine, which is not updated to support other game instruments. If you want or need to use a non Rock Band guitar, you will have to download the tracks to the hard drive and play them on Rock Band 2 (or 1, if it is also updated). Or, if you have a Frontman guitar, you could set it to Rock Band mode and that should work.

Thanks for the tip about Target, I'll have to check there. I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing any there for a while, but it won't hurt to look.

Anyone getting the White Zombie tracks today? I am :)

So I stopped in to my local Circuit City today to get a PS3 Saint's Row 2 CE that I had been eyeing up, and I see they had taken the games out from being thrown into bins and put the remaining all on one shelf. Because of this, I was able to find the one PS3 Track Pack Volume 2 that was left, cost $15 after 50% off. The only thing that worries me is it has a "display box" sticker on it, hopefully nobody wrote down the code and ran off. Hopefully, if they did, I can call up EA and bitch about a code in a sealed copy not working and hopefully they will give me a new one. I'm about to try it out in a few minutes after I get settled in.

[quote name='DeskLaser']So I stopped in to my local Circuit City today to get a PS3 Saint's Row 2 CE that I had been eyeing up, and I see they had taken the games out from being thrown into bins and put the remaining all on one shelf. Because of this, I was able to find the one PS3 Track Pack Volume 2 that was left, cost $15 after 50% off. The only thing that worries me is it has a "display box" sticker on it, hopefully nobody wrote down the code and ran off. Hopefully, if they did, I can call up EA and bitch about a code in a sealed copy not working and hopefully they will give me a new one. I'm about to try it out in a few minutes after I get settled in.[/quote]

Let's hope it works, btw nice find.
I went to my circuit city today, and it was basically empty in the game section.

Just put in the code, worked fine, am downloading now. The funny thing is, I went to Target first to try to find a $15 copy, no luck there, but then I find one for $15 at CC lol. I had dug through those bins pretty well to find it before, as I remember there being a copy there before, I just couldn't find it buried in there. I'm also downloading the White Zombie tracks now.

Norcal, up for any more world tour mode when I am finished with my downloads? I'm almost finished World Tourer lol. BTW, if anyone needs any help with their World Tour mode, feel free to ask me, I don't mind playing in other people's tours at all (I still get cash from it lol, which I still need for the Clothes to the Edge trophy). I just ask other people to play with me if they want since it's more fun not to play alone :)

[quote name='DeskLaser']I think the issue is that all of the track packs (AC/DC included) run off of a "shell" Rock Band 1 engine, which is not updated to support other game instruments. If you want or need to use a non Rock Band guitar, you will have to download the tracks to the hard drive and play them on Rock Band 2 (or 1, if it is also updated). Or, if you have a Frontman guitar, you could set it to Rock Band mode and that should work.

Thanks for the tip about Target, I'll have to check there. I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing any there for a while, but it won't hurt to look.

Anyone getting the White Zombie tracks today? I am :)[/quote]

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. The track pack can be played as a stand alone. I figured it was some kind of compatability issue. I'll just grab a cheap rb1 or 2 game and import it. I really don't need a rock band guitar.

Hi all! Need major help. Still need the RB group achievements, like the 90 second overdrive, 8x times multiplier, 3x save, and one million points. Aside from the drum trainer, these are the trophies I need before I can go platinum. Anyone up to help? I do expert vocals and average about 4.75 stars per song.

My AIM is riccabonesaw, let me know.

Sure, I'll help you out, just message me anytime you see me on. Some CAGs here helped me get those trophies and I really don't mind helping someone else out. The main issue is getting 3-4 people online at a time to get the savior, bachman turner, and 8x multiplier though. Or, if you're like me, you can play guitar and hold the mic against your chest under your chin on a talky song while playing with another player to get the savior trophy lol. The one million point trophy is easily doable with two players on expert.

Hey everyone, check your Targets, today I found a First Act 222 Electric Guitar Starter set (includes guitar, practice amp, strap, and picks) on clearance for $37.98 (regular price $150). I've read it's a great starter guitar, and for $38, why not (even if it is Adam Levine "inspired"). Maybe I can really learn a guitar well and have the excuse to drop the cash for a Mustaine signature someday down the road lol.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Hey everyone, check your Targets, today I found a First Act 222 Electric Guitar Starter set (includes guitar, practice amp, strap, and picks) on clearance for $37.98 (regular price $150). I've read it's a great starter guitar, and for $38, why not (even if it is Adam Levine "inspired"). Maybe I can really learn a guitar well and have the excuse to drop the cash for a Mustaine signature someday down the road lol.[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to get a guitar for the sake of learning but my parents don't seem interested in paying hundreds of dollars for one.

I played a little today and I five starred Blackened,Teen Age Spirit and Everlong. I haven't played in a while due to having to Work 35-40 hours,College Classes, and High School. High School is easy but I sleep like 4-5 hours a day so I get pretty tired. I haven't played those songs in a while and Finally Five Starred those three.Pretty Weird.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, spend more than $160 on a beginners guitar. The truth about guitars though is that half of the cheap ones are the same as the Fender MIM's which are like $600.

Feel free to add me if you want to play online (send me a PM here so I know to check it). My PSN name is FusionHype.

I'm expert on most songs for guitar/bass and hard for drums. I can sing decently :D

[quote name='snakelda']I played a little today and I five starred Blackened,Teen Age Spirit and Everlong. I haven't played in a while due to having to Work 35-40 hours,College Classes, and High School. High School is easy but I sleep like 4-5 hours a day so I get pretty tired. I haven't played those songs in a while and Finally Five Starred those three.Pretty Weird.[/quote]

NO ONE CARES!

Hey guys,

For some reason, I can't seem to get the one trophy for getting a 100% on a guitar solo on expert while using only the solo keys. I have done this multiple times on Social Distortion - I Was Wrong (imho the easiest solo in the game), full comboed the solo w/100%, and still no trophy. I use only the solo keys and don't strum at all with the strum bar (obviously), and still no go. Any ideas as to why this may be happening? I've been playing the song in world tour mode.

Also, how does one go about getting the along for the ride trophy? I can't seem to fully figure out what it wants. Am I just supposed to get a second person to play along while I play an instrument specific challenge?

Thanks for the help, guys.

The Flawless Solo trophy is pretty tricky. You can't use the solo buttons ANYWHERE except for the solo you 100%. For example, you 100% one solo, but use the buttons and mess up another, it will cancel out. Also, using the solo buttons along with the strum bar outside of a solo will cancel it out. I also think you have to make sure you completely hold out any note holds during the solo or else it won't count either.

For the Along for the Ride trophy, the method you mentioned will work on the PS3, since all players still count as your username. But generally, your username/account would have to play a different instrument on a specific instrument challenge (for example, play drums on the Impossible Guitar challenge).

[quote name='DeskLaser']The Flawless Solo trophy is pretty tricky. You can't use the solo buttons ANYWHERE except for the solo you 100%. For example, you 100% one solo, but use the buttons and mess up another, it will cancel out. Also, using the solo buttons along with the strum bar outside of a solo will cancel it out. I also think you have to make sure you completely hold out any note holds during the solo or else it won't count either.

For the Along for the Ride trophy, the method you mentioned will work on the PS3, since all players still count as your username. But generally, your username/account would have to play a different instrument on a specific instrument challenge (for example, play drums on the Impossible Guitar challenge).[/quote]

Thanks! I was using the solo buttons for the whole song and not just the solo section. That explains that.

I'm still a little confused about the along for the ride trophy. I understand the concept, but how do I get to play another instrument during an instrument specific challenge. Doesn't it only let me choose the specific instrument the challenge pertains to :whistle2:s?

Thanks again for pointing out the flawless solo to me. I'd never be able to get it without your explanation.

You can't pick a different instrument for a specific instrument challenge if you are the only one playing. There has to be another player involved. Let me know when you will be online and I can do a challenge with you. For example, I'll play drums, you play guitar, so pick a drum challenge.

When I quit RB2 from the XMB there is a pause and them the whole PS3 reboots. It hasn't always done this and it only seems to happen with RB2.

Anyone else experience this and have an idea what might be going on?

Weird shit like this always make me worry about consumer electronics.

A couple of questions about the Track Pack 2.

I have RB2. I also had no problem importing the RB1 songs onto my console for use in RB2. But when I go into the Track Pack 2 disc, I see no option to export the songs. Am I missing something?

Also, when I try to go into Tour or Quickplay in the TrackPack2, it tells me I don't have a microphone connected and I can't go any further. I'm using the guitar to navigate thru the menus. Has anyone run into this?

Thanks!

[quote name='amheck']A couple of questions about the Track Pack 2.

I have RB2. I also had no problem importing the RB1 songs onto my console for use in RB2. But when I go into the Track Pack 2 disc, I see no option to export the songs. Am I missing something?

Also, when I try to go into Tour or Quickplay in the TrackPack2, it tells me I don't have a microphone connected and I can't go any further. I'm using the guitar to navigate thru the menus. Has anyone run into this?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

To download the tracks, put in the code in the PSN store where you have the option to redeem codes. Then it will download all 20 tracks in one download to your hard drive. As to your guitar issue, ONLY Rock Band instruments will work when running the track pack off the disc. The game engine it runs has not been updated to be compatible with any other instruments.

On a side note, hooray for All I Want for next week's DLC. May happy memories of Crazy Taxi flood you all :D

Thanks guys. That explains both issues.

On a side note (I know its old news by now). Just downloaded Texas Flood and Mary Had a Little Lamb from SRV. What fun songs to play.

This is somewhat off topic, but is anyone planning on getting Guitar Hero Metallica when it comes out? We should get a CAG band together to work on the trophies and do online band vs band.

I have an 1 ACDC and 1 RB2 track pack Volume 2 dlc code (ps3) for sale $10 each or $15 for both. pm me if interested.

[quote name='DeskLaser']I was in the area of my local CC last night and decided to try to stop by and see if they still had the Track Pack Volume 2 for PS3 (I had seen it there shortly ago), but now all of their games are thrown into bins instead of on the shelf. I saw numerous 360 and PS2 copies, but I couldn't find a PS3 copy. Granted when I got there they were closing in 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if it's worth a trip back there to try to look again. I figure if I can get a track pack there, 30% off of the $30 is approximately $20.xx, and secondspin.com shows that they pay $11 for it, meaning if FYE would give cash at that value, I could download the Track Pack Volume 2 for approximately $10. Just an idea for those who have Circuit Cities and FYEs closeby.[/quote]Or you could just grab a gutted copy off the shelf at GameStop and write down the code on the back of the manual :roll:

[quote name='TimPV3']Or you could just grab a gutted copy off the shelf at GameStop and write down the code on the back of the manual :roll:[/quote]just don't get caught and maybe write down two...in-case someone already had that idea...if you get an extra working code though....I'll pay ya

[quote name='TimPV3']Or you could just grab a gutted copy off the shelf at GameStop and write down the code on the back of the manual :roll:[/quote]

I was gonna post that months ago, black Friday, when I noticed GS had the Trak Packs opened with the Manual, but I figured CAG would get pissed off for such naughty ideas.

I can't wait for future track packs.

Someone I know pointed this out, which is interesting:
Warner's Latest Digital Music Stalemate: Track Prices In MTV's 'Rock Band'

Yet another example of how music labels just can't get along with digital content companies ... *Warner Music Group* (WMG) and MTV Games are in a standoff over pricing for Warner artists' tracks in the Rock Band franchise, an impasse that could ultimately mean no new WMG tracks in the game's weekly updates this summer. According to Billboard, MTV has stopped requesting licenses for new tracks, since the two parties can't agree on pricing terms.

It's familiar territory for WMG: there's the nasty standoff it has going with YouTube over fees for the rights to its music videos; it kept tracks from artists like Estelle and Kid Rock off iTunes last year over pricing disagreements; and declined to renew its contract with Last.fm over track pricing as well. But while Warner has chosen to stick to its guns about the money, analysts like Wedbush Morgan's Michael Pachter have argued that the label will do more damage to its own artists (and sales), than to the game publishers with this particular fight.

—It's true that gaming companies need a constant influx of new music for their franchises to thrive beyond the initial purchase: MTV has increasingly released Rock Band add-on packs with tracks from WMG artists like the Grateful Dead and the Pretenders; losing access to popular songs could hurt future downloadable content sales. Meanwhile, if rival Activision (NasdaqGS: ATVI - News) hadn't worked out a favorable deal with *Sony* BMG, it wouldn't have been able to release Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, which cleared $25 million in its first week of sales (per Rolling Stone).

—But gaming companies aren't beholden to any one label to get it: Gamers have gobbled up more than 6 million DLC levels and song tracks; the best-selling tracks have come from a plethora of bands and labels like Metallica, the Police, Foreigner and Weezer. Publishers like MTV and Activision also don't have to go directly to the labels to get tracks; Billboard notes that one of the top 10 best-selling Rock Band tracks is a cover of Black Sabbath's Paranoid that MTV didn't have to get the master recording rights for.

Given the exposure to vintage classics that some DLC packs provide (thanks to Guitar Hero, my 12-year-old sister bought Aerosmith's 1993 hit Livin' on the Edge on iTunes), you'd think that WMG might be willing to make concessions to get its artists' tracks into music games. But last summer, WMG CEO Edgar Bronfman told Reuters why the label would demand more from game publishers that wanted to use its artists' tracks going forward: "The amount being paid to the music industry, even though their games are entirely dependent on the content we own and control, is far too small ...".
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Warners-Latest-Digital-Music-paidcontent-14583710.html

This isn't just for Rock Band, but for YouTube, last.fm, SingStar DLC (it seems), and others. This kind of reminds me of the issue SCEE London has with licensing UMG stuff.

if anyone is interested i'm starting up a Rock Band 2 DLC Gameshare group, we'll be voting on what content we want to buy, and i'll be making the purchases. PM me if interested.

bread's done
Back