The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

My copy shipped from Amazon on Friday. Should have it before the end of this week coming.

With Socom, RockBand 2, Bioshock coming out of my bank these last few days I'm now poor.

[quote name='bigl523']I just got the merch chick. The songs are so much better in Rock Band 2 than they were in 1.[/quote]

Does it run in 1080i or 1080p compared to rock band? I'm thinking of ordering it from CC today. I have 30 dollars of gift cards I need to use, and rb2 is 49.99

hmm got mine today, string of random dongles is not the most elegant solution for wireless. I've noticed the drums acting up a bit. anyone else?

also the sync camera doesn't work very well.

Got my game only copy that I'll be using with RB1 drums and GH3 guitar once my fiance gets home from a work meeting tonight. By the way.. if anyone has an extra copy of Rock Band 1 laying around, and would be willing to let me borrow it PM me. I'll pay for shipping and think of something nice (PSN game?) in exchange.

[quote name='DarthPuma']I don't think so metaly.

So how does rock band handle the world tour drums?[/QUOTE]

World Tour isn't out yet.

uh, these new drums are staring to piss me off a bit.

they're hitting random buttons for no apparent reason even when i'm not pressing anything.
I put it on pause to go get a drink. when after a couple of seconds it kicked itself out of pause.

anyone else getting these problems?

well looks like this problem has hit a few other people on harmonix's board. man for this price I don't want to have to deal with this crap. Going to return this game to BB right now.

returned the game. In case people were curious about what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU70AyGZGo

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel screwed. I was going to order RB2 off of CC today, and now it isn't there to order it online, and I have no store near me. I was going to use some gift cards on them because I don't know nothing else to use them on.

[quote name='Zoglog']uh, these new drums are staring to piss me off a bit.

they're hitting random buttons for no apparent reason even when i'm not pressing anything.
I put it on pause to go get a drink. when after a couple of seconds it kicked itself out of pause.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU70AyGZGo[/quote]

Man. My biggest reservation about ordering this was that there might be some insane hardware flaw. But I figured it was probably safe since after all the broken strum bars/bass pedals last year, they must have put this new round of instruments through extra extensive testing, right? RIGHT?!?!??

:|

[quote name='MasterSun1']World Tour isn't out yet.[/quote]

I know, I just wanted to know if there was a preview showing how rock band 2 works with the world tour drums.

[quote name='metaly']Man. My biggest reservation about ordering this was that there might be some insane hardware flaw. But I figured it was probably safe since after all the broken strum bars/bass pedals last year, they must have put this new round of instruments through extra extensive testing, right? RIGHT?!?!??

:|[/QUOTE]

ditto on that one. I'm majorly disappointing, but there's no reason to sink your money into this defective hardware at the moment.

I mean I never had that much issue with my RB 1 set, besides the mushy strum bar. My drum pedal never broke and my drums never had much issue w/ cross-talking. Plus RB1 was unique for this market, and provided a semi-similar experience to what I used to play w/ guitarfreaks/drummania systemlink all at home.

Somehow I'm not sure it's always purely a design issue since sometimes during mfr process things get wonky. Now i'm not saying all the sets out there have my issue, but from the harmonix forums there are quite a few people experiencing the same/similar issues. At the price of this set, it's really not worth the headache, I'm perfectly fine skipping out on this $200 plunker.

I'm glad/disappointed to hear about these problems. Disappointed because I really wanted it real soon. I'm glad though because I can just save my BBV credit for other things.

forgot to mention 1 thing.
the packaging on the RB2 is impressive. They fit quite a bit in a much much smaller box.

I was pretty surprised how much smaller the box seemed when I saw it at Best Buy yesterday...

I just picked up the game only version, I figured I'll wait until all the various music games for the year are out and wait for deals on whatever set is considered "The best".. like the Guitar Center deals we saw a couple months ago... I figure my RB1 set will hopefully last me.

But playing RB2 I am having a LOT of trouble on guitar-- my guitar seemed fine the last time I played RB1 a week or so ago, but I'm missing a lot of notes, etc. I changed the batteries which seemed to maybe help a little but it still seems much harder to get the timing down than RB1 was.... I'm not sure if I was just too tired to play last night, or if my launch-RB1 guitar is finally biting the dust, or they maybe REALLY tightened the timing? Has anyone else noticed it's a lot harder to hit the notes?

Did you do a calibration for the lag and what not? I followed the prompts and it said I had a 58ms video lag and when I played I was missing notes all over the place. Went in and modified it to 30ms (about the value I had for RB1 and the default for lcd) and I was back to hitting all the notes.

Playing RB2 for the first time last night, after all that wait...

...and the spring on my whammy bar snapped! :(
(I'm well past the 60-day warranty, so I've put in a rubber band for the time being....we'll see how well it works.)

I'll eventually pick up either a RB2 Strat -or- the GH:WT guitar as a replacement in a few months. Until then, I'll keep an eye out for people having trouble with these new guitars.

[quote name='Justin42']I was pretty surprised how much smaller the box seemed when I saw it at Best Buy yesterday...

I just picked up the game only version, I figured I'll wait until all the various music games for the year are out and wait for deals on whatever set is considered "The best".. like the Guitar Center deals we saw a couple months ago... I figure my RB1 set will hopefully last me.

But playing RB2 I am having a LOT of trouble on guitar-- my guitar seemed fine the last time I played RB1 a week or so ago, but I'm missing a lot of notes, etc. I changed the batteries which seemed to maybe help a little but it still seems much harder to get the timing down than RB1 was.... I'm not sure if I was just too tired to play last night, or if my launch-RB1 guitar is finally biting the dust, or they maybe REALLY tightened the timing? Has anyone else noticed it's a lot harder to hit the notes?[/quote]

Yeah the same is happening to me also. there is no way I shouldn't be able to Gold Star So Whatcha' Want the first time I played it. I didn't have to set the calibration on my game for the first rock band..looks like I have to do it this time. oh well those new guitars do look good though. :)

Glad I'm not the only one. I was debating trying calibration, but I've never had to on any past GH/RB game so I was a bit concerned I'd mess things up worse trying to calibrate. But I will go ahead and try it tonight (and try RB1 to make sure I still know how to play the game!)

But at least I know I'm not the only one struggling with RB2!

the auto calibration in RB2 is pretty horrid. It's best you do a manual calibration.

heh I ended up buying RB2 again.
live cashback = $136 shipped, so I couldn't resist since I was going to get the game + guitar anyway which owuld have been the same amount

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, calibration fixed the problem.. songs I was struggling to get 3 stars on I am now getting 5 no problem... (And RB1 played fine when I checked it). I have a much better impression of Rock Band 2 now. ;) (Well, except for the fact when I try to redeem the code on the back of the manual I am being told it's already been redeemed.. .:p I've opened a support ticket with EA over that already)

Too bizarre, since I have never had to calibrate anything before. Thanks for suggesting it!

I spent about 15 minutes failing songs and messing with the calibration until I got it to where I like it. Even though it could still use some tweaking, I'm too fed up with it right now to keep messing with it. Almost makes me want to bust out the CRT.

Also, does anyone's RB2 guitar have some incredibly loud fret buttons? I've got the weird hybrid guitar from the special edition bundle, PS3 version. Orange and blue sound about how I remember, but green, red and yellow are LOUD! In addition to the normal, hollow sound, there's a loud click that's almost as loud as the original GH Gibson's strum bar. It's incredibly obnoxious and I hope it goes away. Otherwise, I'm looking forwad to my strum bar breaking and trying my luck with a replacement.

But enough complaining. The game itself is as great as I expected, and I'm having a blast getting caught up with the DLC. I just need my RB1 disc to get here from Gamefly so I can rip Wave of Mutilation and do a complete playthrough of Doolittle. :D

I remember when I got RB1 and the strum bar and frets were silent. Then my strum bar only worked about 80% of the time so it went back and what returned was a fixed strum bar and loud clickly fret buttons. When I bought a second guitar it was the same. I'm assuming that they are continuing down the path with loud clicky fret buttons which is rather unfortunate.

[quote name='bjkrautk']Playing RB2 for the first time last night, after all that wait...

...and the spring on my whammy bar snapped! :(
(I'm well past the 60-day warranty, so I've put in a rubber band for the time being....we'll see how well it works.)

I'll eventually pick up either a RB2 Strat -or- the GH:WT guitar as a replacement in a few months. Until then, I'll keep an eye out for people having trouble with these new guitars.[/quote]
I've broken 3 whammy bars so far! That shit is too flimsy.

You can open the guitar and fix it yourself using a rubberband. Just check out youtube for a walkthrough. I did it myself and it worked okay -- till the rubberband snapped. :cry:

PROTIP: Buy a GH3 Les Paul instead of using the Strat. ;p

The local Best Buy has a GH:WT demo station set up and the new guitars have a strum bar similar to the RB Strat, but not mushy. Overall it was pretty decent, I wish the asshats at Best Buy calibrated the damn set up proper so that it was actually playable. But on medium, it was alright.

after messing with the calibration some last night, It is better now. I can 5 star wanted dead or alive as that was my litmus test for the calibration, but I must say after using the new guitars my rb1 guitars feel very horrible. looks like I will have to upgrade the whole set come black friday.

I picked up the game yesterday, but unfortunately no store in town seemed to have the new guitars as a stand alone.

I played for a little last night, but out of curiousity is there a fast way to unlock songs for quickplay which doesn't involve replaying the same songs 15 billion times or using the cheat code and disabling saves? I'm mostly a solo player so the old "play through a list of songs unlocking more difficult ones as you go along" style of play was much prefered for song unlocking.

I'm cool with playing "tour mode" to unlock costumes/venues, but there are some songs I was really looking forward to playing and am not sure what is the best/quickest way to unlock them.

Plus did the charts seem a little vertically compressed for anyone else? I think I got used to it eventually, but when I first started playing, the layout for guitar notes felt different.

So at the moment I'll just summarize my feelings after about 2-3 hours of play as such:

Like:
The improved song selection options for quickplay (although still far from perfect especially if you have a lot of DLC and the imported RB1 songs)

Being able to use the same character for different instruments.

Having stand in characters (although it is a shame you cannot have the same character stand in for more than one spot. I want an entire clone band dammit!!!!)

Some of the new venues. I got the "trippy music video" type one on a quickplay and thought it was awesome.

The continued support of RB1 songs and DLC. Now you don't have to worry about having access to song great song at a party without switching discs (provided you have the harddrive space anyway.)

Dislike:
The mess that is Tour mode for unlocking stuff. I could really see how this works for a band, but not for the individual player (yeah yeah I know it is a social game, but I don't care).

I'm still annoyed by the pricing of stuff in the "Rock Shop." How many expert 5-star performances does it take to buy some of that crap? (this in general falls under my "I hate having customization options limited by how many billion hours I've played the game." I really hope that you can transfer stuff unlocked in RB2 to RB3, because I will not be buying the same pieces of clothing a 3rd time in a new game.)

I feel like I'm nitpicking, but this is stuff I feel detracts from the overall experience which in general is pretty awesome.

[quote name='josh_animebum']

I played for a little last night, but out of curiousity is there a fast way to unlock songs for quickplay which doesn't involve replaying the same songs 15 billion times or using the cheat code and disabling saves? I'm mostly a solo player so the old "play through a list of songs unlocking more difficult ones as you go along" style of play was much prefered for song unlocking.

Plus did the charts seem a little vertically compressed for anyone else? I think I got used to it eventually, but when I first started playing, the layout for guitar notes felt different.

So at the moment I'll just summarize my feelings after about 2-3 hours of play as such:

Like:

Being able to use the same character for different instruments.

The continued support of RB1 songs and DLC. Now you don't have to worry about having access to song great song at a party without switching discs (provided you have the harddrive space anyway.)

Dislike:
The mess that is Tour mode for unlocking stuff. I could really see how this works for a band, but not for the individual player (yeah yeah I know it is a social game, but I don't care).

I'm still annoyed by the pricing of stuff in the "Rock Shop." How many expert 5-star performances does it take to buy some of that crap? (this in general falls under my "I hate having customization options limited by how many billion hours I've played the game." I really hope that you can transfer stuff unlocked in RB2 to RB3, because I will not be buying the same pieces of clothing a 3rd time in a new game.)

I feel like I'm nitpicking, but this is stuff I feel detracts from the overall experience which in general is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

I think that one of the problems is that we're in the early venues. The cash goes up the further in to the game that you get (or at least it did in the solo mode in RB1). I spent a few hours 5-staring songs at medium difficulty (where I'm comfortable...I just want to unlock things quickly), and received a fraction of what I would have earned in RB1.

On the other hand, I think that the note recognition (guitar) is generally better than it was in the first game. If I miss one note in a long streak, it's more likely that I was off-beat than it was a non-registered note (Play 'Seven' in both games and see how you do).

RE: the vertically compressed guitar track....I think what you may be seeing is that the game doesn't shift from single-player to multi-player display like the first game did. That space at the top goes to the vocalist. (Haven't actually multi-played yet, but that's my guess).

MY Dislikes:
- Having to start a second band just to make money, since I'm saving my old band for multiplayer with my HS / College friends (re-created from RB1). I used to use the solo tour mode for cash. Maybe I missed something, but it didn't look like you get cash for solo quickplay.
- There's no obvious way to unlock every song in the game, or even an 'easiest path' to unlock the songs you want to start playing (e.g. 'Everlong').

...and that's about it.

I love the 'Battle of the Bands' feature; it's finally a reason to start adding PSN friends (who will decimate my scores). I hope that the matchmaking improves, though....I was randomly paired with another band, despite having spent significant time having 5-starred a number of songs, and it just feels wrong to average ~ 50,000 / song, when your opponent is hovering around 9k.

Smart move allowing you to save & quit during challenges; I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure I will at some point (did the 9-song import challenge last night before bed, and got notably worse as the challenge went on.)

My RB1 strat is working fine with the replacement rubber band (until that breaks).

I've been reading that going through challenges up to the point where you can unlock the endless set list is the best way to get all the songs unlocked. I guess once endless set list is unlocked, all the songs are opened up for play?

Hopefully, not playing the actual endless set list, because that'll take like 6 hours. But then again I plopped down 4 hours on the game easy just last night. D:

Yeah, I read that too. The challenges will have some repetition, but it probably beats going through the Tour as far as quick unlocks.

Also you can stop challenges in the middle and it will save your progress, which makes completing that challenge a little bit more likely.

Well I can't say that I know who many (or almost any) of these bands are, but I genuinely enjoyed about half of the bonus tracks in Rock Band 1 so I'm willing to give these a shot. My only real complaint is that (for reasons of which I have yet to see an explanation) we are unable to delete individual DLC tracks like they can on the 360.

A couple of major bands on the list would have been nice, but as the saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Man. I'm looking forward to seeing what the GHWT guitar is like, because I'm reminded of how much the Strat's strum bar sucks. I forgot that was half the reason why I got rid of RB1, since there was no guitar compatibility patch in sight a year ago.

GAME IS STILL GREAT BUT I LOVE COMPLAINING

Wow, what a crappy list. I got excited when I saw Chevelle, but I did I double take and saw it was The Chevelles. Lame. I was hoping the Sepultura rumor was true. I guess we'll see Refuse/Resist as DLC.

RE: unlocking songs.

You don't have to play every challenge to unlock the songs; I noticed after playing last night that I had unlocked a handfull of songs I hadn't played yet. From the looks of it, once you unlock a challenge, you unlock all the songs in the challenge. (You don't need to beat the particular challenge to unlock those songs, but beating the challenge will unlock a new challenge, and the songs in that new challenge.)

Expanding my love for 'battle of the bands' -- I like seeing the different scoring systems in the challenges. Last night, for instance, most of the battles involved the number of stars, and not simply the score (putting medium - difficulty scorers in parity with Experts)....but the most enjoyable challenge was based on your longest note streak in "Carry On Wayward Son." (I finished around 330, after missing a note ~ 80 in.) Having these challenges last for a limited time gives me a reason to try playing that mode instead of the regular tour events....which changes things up.

Oh, and hooray for trophies! (First game I've purchased that supports them.)

This is getting me mad!I'm playing the setlist to get something and I'm on the third song "Livin' on a prayer" and like around half way,my drums turn off. 80% of the song,My drums discconnect but the Playstion button is lit so I know the batteries arent the problem.Is it my batteries?I was amazed that it came with energizer batteries and I put in Duracell batteries but it only lasted a day and it's doing it again!I have the new drums btw.

Apparently there is something fucked up with the way the batteries are held in the drum.

I'm honestly really glad I broke my RB1 kick pedal the other day. I was on my way to go buy the new set, as soon as I finished the song. Since it's the family set, I just hid the evidence in my room and ordered the hit kit from best buy.

Had it not broke I would have ended up with the RB2 set, and probably would have been very unhappy, since I didn't know about all the problems.

(broke on the last fucking note of The Hand That Feeds on hard too.)

My pedal broke from RB1 just last night, when I purchased RB2. Just my f'ing luck. I've taken really good care of my things too. Snapped in half. My friend is giving me his pedal though, so all is good.

The RB2 drums require batteries?? I wasn't aware of that. Now I need to find out the same for the GH drums.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']My pedal broke from RB1 just last night, when I purchased RB2. Just my f'ing luck. I've taken really good care of my things too. Snapped in half. My friend is giving me his pedal though, so all is good.

The RB2 drums require batteries?? I wasn't aware of that. Now I need to find out the same for the GH drums.[/quote]

I think it's impossible not to break the kick/bass pedal on the RB1 drum kit. I broke mine earlier this summer and my replacement is starting to feel a little flimsy.

The RB2 drum kit is wireless, so it needs batteries. I'm not sure if the GH:WT kit is wireless.

Nirvana track pack is up now.

Next week's DLC:

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Hong Kong Gardens
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Kiss Them For Me
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Killing Jar
Blink-182 - Dammit
Silversun Pickups - Melatonin
Silversun Pickups - Well Thought Out Twinkles
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty in Pink

I didn't realize that there would be challenges based solely around your DLC. I was pleasantly surprised to see Disturbed and Metallica challenges added.

Yeah, that is nice. Not only do they have challenges for your DLC, but for the original Rock Band disc as well. They did a nice job with that portion of the game.

[quote name='Lint21']Nirvana track pack is up now.

Next week's DLC:

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Hong Kong Gardens
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Kiss Them For Me
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Killing Jar
[/quote]

HOLY fuck!!!! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Just got this today. Only have the guitar but I can beat the game on expert so hit me up, always willing to play my favorite game if I'm not busy :)

bread's done
Back