The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

my girl was playing vocals on expert with my joystick in her mouth and we rocked it shes so great!! try it with your gf/wife its funtimes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:[quote name='m_d_amore']with my joystick in her mouth and we rocked it shes so great!! try it with your gf/wife its funtimes[/quote]

about the exporting songs. so if i put my RB1 disc in there and paid 4.99 for the export key.... transferred export the songs to the HDD, then i can play RB1 without putting the disc in there? All i need is the RB2 disc in the system?

[quote name='trunks982']about the exporting songs. so if i put my RB1 disc in there and paid 4.99 for the export key.... transferred export the songs to the HDD, then i can play RB1 without putting the disc in there? All i need is the RB2 disc in the system?[/QUOTE]

Well, you will have access to all of your rock band one songs, so, if you mean using the rock band 1 game engine, then, no.

I believe there are rock band one themed challenges you can complete, but don't quote me on that.

You also lose 3 (2?) rock band one songs, Paranoid (cover of Sabbath), and Enter Sandman (Metallica), and a third, which i can never remember (run to the hills?).

So you can safely get rid of your rock band one disk once you do that, provided you dont long for sandman.

Was there ever a reason given for such a heavy edit on Lacuna Coil's Our Truth? The wailing at the beginning and end is cut to have long gaps in it, and the chorus is muffled and played at about 1/2 volume.

Also on the DLC of the song Closer there's a random loud squeak near the end of the song before the vocals come back in.

[quote name='jonlubbe']Well, you will have access to all of your rock band one songs, so, if you mean using the rock band 1 game engine, then, no.

I believe there are rock band one themed challenges you can complete, but don't quote me on that.

You also lose 3 (2?) rock band one songs, Paranoid (cover of Sabbath), and Enter Sandman (Metallica), and a third, which i can never remember (run to the hills?).

So you can safely get rid of your rock band one disk once you do that, provided you dont long for sandman.[/quote]
Tour Challenges or Battle of the Band challenges? I've seen a few of the BotB challenges mention songs from RB1, but those will include almost any DLC you could have. I haven't gotten far enough in Tour Challenges to see what all of those are.

Run to the Hills is the third song that didn't make the cut.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Tour Challenges or Battle of the Band challenges? I've seen a few of the BotB challenges mention songs from RB1, but those will include almost any DLC you could have. I haven't gotten far enough in Tour Challenges to see what all of those are.

Run to the Hills is the third song that didn't make the cut.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression they are tour challenges, but I will have to check, and i have not yet really played much in that mode either. ;)

Roy Orbison 01-09-2009

Claudette
In Dreams
Mean Woman Blues
Oh, Pretty Woman
Ooby Dooby
You Got It

The 3 my bro, 10, is looking forward to.

[quote name='D_Icon']Just opened the RB2 bundle. I got a steel blue pedal, I guess they come with the SL drums.[/quote]You can take off the blue sticker off the pedal.

I need to find some of you and play online sometime. Only thing left in the game for me to do really is earn stars to do the endless setlist and I'm not to keen on doing that again. Took 6 hours when I did it on xbox.

[quote name='wcraigw']I need to find some of you and play online sometime. Only thing left in the game for me to do really is earn stars to do the endless setlist and I'm not to keen on doing that again. Took 6 hours when I did it on xbox.[/QUOTE]

what do you play/what difficulty?

Either Guitar on Expert. I'm not a singer and I'm not buying drums for the ps3 when I have them for xbox. Too much plastic crap heh.

I can play a lot better now on the ps3 that I found a new guitar since the wireless on the PS3 Les Paul is god awful. Bought a Nyko "front Man" guitar for 20 bucks and it works so much better, I only miss notes if I actually miss them now. I recommend it. Just takes a while to get used to the buttons and it has a weird d-pad.

[quote name='wcraigw']Either Guitar on Expert. I'm not a singer and I'm not buying drums for the ps3 when I have them for xbox. Too much plastic crap heh.

I can play a lot better now on the ps3 that I found a new guitar since the wireless on the PS3 Les Paul is god awful. Bought a Nyko "front Man" guitar for 20 bucks and it works so much better, I only miss notes if I actually miss them now. I recommend it. Just takes a while to get used to the buttons and it has a weird d-pad.[/QUOTE]I have a Les Paul and never had issues with it on PS3. I also have the RB guitar and Nyko Frontman though.

I bought GHWT guitar/game today. Is that the Les Paul? I still need one more guitar. What do you guys recommend?

[quote name='metaly']Mana, bump your guitar up to expert and you will want to smash that Les Paul on the floor. :)[/quote]

As he said, you won't notice it until you're on hard or expert.

I am curious though, did they fix the problems for the world tour guitar for anyone that has it?

Actually I was thinking of the Strat. :oops: I'm not sure if I've used the Les Paul.

The GHWT guitar is excellent, though. Maybe better than the original GH Gibson, except the neck is a little thick. What problems with the Les Paul are you hoping it fixed?

Probably tilt sensor issues. But I think that plagues all the guitars regardless of make. GH:WT's guit has it right by having a huge bar you can slam to activate star power/overdrive. :p

Anyone up for some games tonight? I will probably be on at around 8PM EST, and can manage lower tier hard drums and might still be able to play guitar on hard (it's been awhile since I've played guitar). I have the RB1 songs, and some random DLC (most notably the No Doubt set, everything else is just singles).

[quote name='wcraigw']Either Guitar on Expert. I'm not a singer and I'm not buying drums for the ps3 when I have them for xbox. Too much plastic crap heh.

I can play a lot better now on the ps3 that I found a new guitar since the wireless on the PS3 Les Paul is god awful. Bought a Nyko "front Man" guitar for 20 bucks and it works so much better, I only miss notes if I actually miss them now. I recommend it. Just takes a while to get used to the buttons and it has a weird d-pad.[/QUOTE]

So maybe that's why I've been doing so bad on the PS3 version. All this time I thought I either couldn't calibrate my system right or I was just sucking from not playing in a while. I seemed to do better with it than the World Tour guitar though. Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the fret keys on it are too "mushy" to play fast sections with. How does the feel of the Frontman compare to the Xplorer on the 360 (the main guitar I'm used to)? I'll have to look into getting one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
That See You Never challenge in the Battle of the Bands is pretty cool. You just try to get the longest streak you can in either Go Your Own Way or Where'd You Go?, which are both on-disc songs. Forgrim's already put it almost out of reach for me, so I'm going to try to see if I can beat 452 notes in a row. There's also another one ending tonight that has on-disc songs, too, which is called In The Battle and seems to be a normal high score challenge.

It would be nice if these had an icon on the main BotB menu to let you know which ones feature songs you can play. They should also pair you up with a band with the average score in the leaderboards instead of the guy in last place with 200 points.

Maybe I'll make posts here when new ones go up so you guys can know to hop on and play ones you can enter.

[quote name='DeskLaser'] How does the feel of the Frontman compare to the Xplorer on the 360 (the main guitar I'm used to)? I'll have to look into getting one of those.[/quote]

Oh the Xplorer is still my favorite of the guitars. I honestly wish they'd make wired an option with the newer guitars. The Frontman has a port in the bottom of it and it comes with a fairly long usb wire, you can plug it into one of the usb ports on the ps3 but it's only for power if you don't want to use batteries, you can't actually play the guitar through that, which I find an odd design choice but whatever.

As for the feel of the frontman, it's shaped almost exactly like an xplorer. The fret buttons feel weird and take time to get used to but it's nothing all that bad (they had a used one at gamestop I tried out before I bought it to make sure it didn't suck) and they don't make noise.

The plus-pad for some reason they replaced with this weird joystick like thing that doesn't work that well honestly but I can make due without a plus-pad.

Strumbar is clicky, makes some noise.

The whammy bar is really stiff and it doesn't move on it's own which I like.

The one thing about the frontman that didn't work was the "rock band" setting. It has one of those things on the guitar like the official rock band guitar where you can change the type of noise it makes for the whammy bar or whatever. If I changed the guitar into rock band mode the guitar was un-usable. Buttons would activate without being pushed and stuff, it was very weird. Works fine in "guitar hero" mode though and I couldn't care less about the whammy bar setting thingie.

frontman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the World Tour guitar lag also? I've been trying to use that now, now that I am aware that the Les Paul DOES lag, but I'm still having lots of trouble. For example, I've gone to being able to pass Visions guitar expert on the 360 Xplorer just fine but now on the PS3 I can barely get into it before I fail. Same being for any fast solo, I don't hit any notes at all. It makes it really frustrating when I can't pass all the songs I could pass just fine on the 360. What's even worse is because of this, I'm sure I will not be able to pass endless setlist on expert, since I can't even pass Visions on bass now.

Managed to get into the top 1000 of the See you NEVER BotB challenge.

There's a new Bang Camaro Battle featuring the three songs off of, I'm guessing, RB1, RB2, and the one DLC song they released. It's available for Hard/Expert only and expires Thursday night.

I tried taking my whole stereo system out of the picture, and that is helping out a lot. Now my sound is just running through my TV's stock speakers through HDMI, audio latency set at -18 MS. I'm using a Vizio VX32L through HDMI and have video lag set at 32 MS. I was able to play fine with that stereo on the 360, the PS3 just seems to really give me a hassle. I was able to get through Visions on bass, and can do well on guitar when I don't mess my rhythm up. I either hit all of the hammer ons or near none. Best shot on guitar expert so far was getting to the outro, but I think I can attribute that to still getting used to the bigger buttons on the world tour guitar than the xplorer. I was also able to pass Painkiller expert, but it wasn't pretty. I also got to solo d on a sightread of Damnation Game, so it's definitely getting better. I think Caprici di Diablo is pretty much out of my skill range though :lol:

Now to see if I can still pass all the Megadeth songs, as they are my favorite content, and will be quite annoyed if I can't.

You'll have to use a USB hub. However, if one of your guitars is the World Tour guitar, the dongle comes with 2 USB ports on it, meaning you will be able to connect 4 devices in total. The WT guitar, 2 devices to the USB ports on the WT dongle, and then the 4th in the 2nd PS3 USB port. The other nice thing about this is you won't have to use a powered USB hub this way. However, since the PS3 seems to have a trouble with introduced latency using USB dongles, this may further that problem more, but I haven't tested it out to know for sure.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Managed to get into the top 1000 of the See you NEVER BotB challenge.

There's a new Bang Camaro Battle featuring the three songs off of, I'm guessing, RB1, RB2, and the one DLC song they released. It's available for Hard/Expert only and expires Thursday night.[/quote]
What rank are you?I'm 491,I'd be higher but those two songs are pretty tricky

[quote name='DeskLaser']You'll have to use a USB hub. However, if one of your guitars is the World Tour guitar, the dongle comes with 2 USB ports on it, meaning you will be able to connect 4 devices in total. The WT guitar, 2 devices to the USB ports on the WT dongle, and then the 4th in the 2nd PS3 USB port. The other nice thing about this is you won't have to use a powered USB hub this way. However, since the PS3 seems to have a trouble with introduced latency using USB dongles, this may further that problem more, but I haven't tested it out to know for sure.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, that should work well then since I'm planning to get GH World Tour with one guitar, then the Rock Band 2 package with the other 3 instruments.

Anyone else using the GHWT controller find that it sucks ass? The first one I got didn't even sync, so I exchanged it and this new one will periodically drop its signal. Sometimes for a fraction of a second, sometimes a few seconds. Am I having bad luck or is this a wide spread problem? I'm going to see about returning but it was bought with GCs so I'll probably get some credit at Best Buy. Their selection sucks though. RB2 guitar only isn't even listed on their site. http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?logon=&langid=EN&catid=27027

[quote name='DeskLaser']You'll have to use a USB hub. However, if one of your guitars is the World Tour guitar, the dongle comes with 2 USB ports on it, meaning you will be able to connect 4 devices in total. The WT guitar, 2 devices to the USB ports on the WT dongle, and then the 4th in the 2nd PS3 USB port. The other nice thing about this is you won't have to use a powered USB hub this way. However, since the PS3 seems to have a trouble with introduced latency using USB dongles, this may further that problem more, but I haven't tested it out to know for sure.[/QUOTE]
The RB2 guitar dongle also has 2 USB ports on it.

Anybody up for going through the band challenges and trophy trading for Comeback Kid? I can win online matches fine, the problem is losing to someone and then facing that same person again. I also need to get in a 4 player game for the 8x multiplier, 1 million point, band savior, and 90 second overdrive trophies. Let me know if anyone wants to get any games going. I would also be up for helping someone with an instrument challenge, to get the Along for the Ride trophy.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Probably. I don't see any other reason for not going bluetooth.[/QUOTE]It's actually because the PS3 bluetooth that's sectioned off for controllers, only some people within SCEI have access to it. I remember reading an article one that one reasons games use a dongle isn't just because of price, but because the bluetooth interfacing (with controllers 1-4) is not available for publishers/developers. Sony is considering doing it one day, but they may have to do some re-configurations.

Okay, I found the article:
PS3 guitar peripherals for Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3 will not use Bluetooth technology at launch.

The news was unearthed by 1UP, who noticed a large and unwieldy wireless dongle drooping around a foot in length from the bottom of the Guitar Hero 3 axe.

When contacted about it, RedOctane spokesperson Bryan Lam said it had developed its own wireless solution so it could launch in time, because currently Bluetooth tools only cater for the Sixaxis controllers.

This was later confirmed by Rock Band developer Harmonix, which stated its first-generation of guitars would not feature Bluetooth. Let's hope a USB wireless dongle-hub is provided so all instruments can be played at the same time, then.

Some observers feel the hold-up is due to Sony not issuing adequate tools to allow third-parties to make use of the Bluetooth connectivity. Others suggest RedOctane and Harmonix looked to develop their own technology because of Sixaxis connection problems in the past.

Nintendo, however, doesn't have the same problems, as its peripherals will tap into the existing Bluetooth signals from the controllers. Microsoft will also not have to fart around with dongles, as it has a receiver built in to the Xbox 360.

Guitar Hero 3 is due out on PS3, PC, 360, Wii and PS2 on 23rd November. You can see how it is shaping up over in our Guitar Hero 3 gamepage, where you will also find the most up to date track list and our hands-on impressions.

Rock Band will be released in the first quarter of 2008. PS3 bundle packs will have wireless guitars while 360 boxes will feature wired peripherals and a USB hub to connect them all - wireless axes can be bought separately. Pop over to our Rock Band gamepage for more.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/no-bluetooth-for-ps3-guitars

[quote name='DeskLaser']Anybody up for going through the band challenges and trophy trading for Comeback Kid? I can win online matches fine, the problem is losing to someone and then facing that same person again. I also need to get in a 4 player game for the 8x multiplier, 1 million point, band savior, and 90 second overdrive trophies. Let me know if anyone wants to get any games going. I would also be up for helping someone with an instrument challenge, to get the Along for the Ride trophy.[/QUOTE]
I need the 1 million pointer and 90 sec overdrive. PSN name would help ;)

bread's done
Back