The Rock Band Thread - 10/26: Rock Band 3 Out Now With Free The Doors Pack In-Game!

[quote name='pete5883']I need the 1 million pointer and 90 sec overdrive. PSN name would help ;)[/QUOTE]

Me too! Let me know when y'all play! I'd love to get in on this!

PSN: riccaboni

I noticed two new BotB challenges that were up for the DLC, one for two songs that went up today and another for the Roy Orbison pack, which doesn't come out until next week, right? That would mean the DLC pack's challenge would be over before anyone can enter it. :lol:

The 360 and PS3 probably have the same BOTBs. And the Roy Orbison stuff has been out on XBL for a week now since PSN took a week off to celebrate New Year's. :p

Ah, I thought I had put my PSN name into my profile, but I had not. It is DeskLaser, just like my CAG user name. It should be in my profile now.

They still should have had the foresight if they're mirrored to wait a week if only half the audience would be able to enter the challenge.

With there not being a Rock Band 3 this fall, I'd like to see Harmonix put out some updates to refine or add things, like a shopping cart for the Tour Shop and maybe Youtube video recording with a way to record it without the HUD.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']maybe Youtube video recording with a way to record it without the HUD.[/quote]

I already had the one Rock Band video I had on Youtube taken down because of "song copyrights", which seems like BS as it's a legal recording of a game that has the music in it. Blah I dunno, so anyway maybe they aren't allowed to do something like this?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They still should have had the foresight if they're mirrored to wait a week if only half the audience would be able to enter the challenge.[/QUOTE]
Technically, we're not half the audience. More like 1/4 or 1/3.

[quote name='pete5883']Technically, we're not half the audience. More like 1/4 or 1/3.[/quote]
Yes, we are. One of two platforms not able to take part in a challenge is one half.

That's not really a good excuse for putting up a bad challenge. It doesn't really matter how many copies sold, just that they have control over this stuff and let this mistake through.

I signed up for the 20 free songs, but I am still not getting the email. How long does this normally take?
http://register.rockband.com/

Also, next weeks DLC

"Release Date: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 (Xbox LIVE Marketplace) and Thursday, January 22, 2009 (PlayStation®Store)

Tracks:

Steve Miller Band “Space Cowboy”
Steve Miller Band “Take the Money and Run”
Steve Miller Band “The Joker”
Godsmack “I Stand Alone”
Belly “Feed the Tree”
Ghost Hounds “Wind Me Up”
Mute Math “Typical”
Rob Zombie “War Zone”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

Price:
$1.99 (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track or $5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for the Steve Miller Band 3-pack"

In for
Steve Miller Band “The Joker”
Godsmack “I Stand Alone”

So I found out what may have been the main culprit of my difficulties before, the dying strum bar on the GHWT guitar. After I was missing notes left and right on Sprode, I figured that couldn't be me anymore, so I was able to confirm the strum bar was in fact dying. Now I get to send that back to RedOctane, good thing I still have a guitar hero bundle box to mail the thing back in, since all they do is email you a shipping label, no box

[quote name='D_Icon']I signed up for the 20 free songs, but I am still not getting the email. How long does this normally take?[/QUOTE]
I tried today, and still nothing after a few hours. Just tried a second time.

[quote name='pete5883']I tried today, and still nothing after a few hours. Just tried a second time.[/QUOTE]

check your spam folder

[quote name='pete5883']I tried today, and still nothing after a few hours. Just tried a second time.[/quote]

I even added the RockBand email to my contacts. I've filled out the form several times already, about 5. The first time I didn't capitalize the letters, then I looked at the instructions on the manual and it says that the voucher code is case sensitive. So make sure you capitalize your letters.

I got the email with my 20 free DLC code almost immediately after I filled out the form, got the email to confirm my email, and then clicked on that confirmation link. I am using my ISP's email server, not a "general" one like yahoo, google, etc.

I got the email too, but I got this message:

"There was a problem verifying your email address. Please note that if you completed the registration form more than once with the same key, only the most recent confirmation code sent to you will be active."

Which I did several times. I guess I have to wait.

If it is any consolation, those 20 free songs aren't very good. You're not missing much. Or at least, they don't compare to the songs that you probably actually know. I don't find myself playing them at all if I have a choice.

but i guess free is free . . .

I've enjoyed a couple that pop up during random setlists. I wouldn't go out of my way to play them over the stuff I've bought, but more variety's not a bad thing.

I haven't played too many of them, but I do enjoy the song by X Japan (I think that's their name) every once in a while. I also like "Prequel Before the Sequel" that comes in the free 20 songs.

Anyways, I finally went and bought a Frontman at GS for $20, with my GHWT guitar's strum bar being out, and I can already see a VAST improvement. In the first two songs trying out the new guitar (and with the volume being set low, with people being asleep), I go from struggling to 4 star the Children of Bodom song to getting 5 stars (expert), and passing Visions on expert on PS3, finally. The sections with the back and forth between the middle 3 keys were sort of hairy though, with still getting used to the keys, but as I play with it more I imagine it will work very well for me. Very highly recommended.

I'll definitely be getting the Godsmack and Rob Zombie tracks this week. Hopefully, Dethklok will one day see some DLC, as Harmonix did put them in Guitar Hero 2, but I can only wait and wish :)

I have fairly big hands and I got cramps from the Frontman.I used to play it good and it wouldn't hurt (when I sent my drums for repair) and now It hurts to play it.
On a side note...the Ion Drums FTW!!!I can't believe how awesome they are.

Queestion on DLC. Is there a way to prevent songs you downloaded show up as random songs in a set?
There are a few songs that I have that I would not like to ever hear again, and I really don't feel like deleting all of them and re downloading them, and even then some of those songs are in a bundle form.

Is it better (more points/fans) to get 4 stars on medium difficulty or 3 stars on hard difficulty?

When I drum I usually find myself getting 4 or 5 stars on medium but 3 sometimes 4 stars on hard. Of course on hard, I run the risk of failing out too.

I haven't really tested this but though someone might know.

Thanks

[quote name='Dr. Strangepork']Is it better (more points/fans) to get 4 stars on medium difficulty or 3 stars on hard difficulty?

When I drum I usually find myself getting 4 or 5 stars on medium but 3 sometimes 4 stars on hard. Of course on hard, I run the risk of failing out too.

I haven't really tested this but though someone might know.

Thanks[/quote]

If you can keep streaks going, you'll get more points on harder difficulties because there are more notes. Having a big multiplier is what gets you the serious points though, so it's not worth it if you can't keep a streak.

Streaks on drums are pretty much nonexistant for me at any level, so sometimes I'll bump up the difficulty and put it on no fail mode and just freak out. :)

On a side note, using the Frontman on Rock Revolution (I'm an old school Bemani fan, and it's cheap now, so sue me), on SIGHTREADS of 2 of the songs in the Pantera DLC pack (Mouth for War and Cemetery Gates), I got the #1 score on the PSN leaderboards, lmao. On Cemetery Gates I even beat it by 300,000 or so. On sightreads on Walk and Holy Wars using the Frontman I'm #2 on Walk and in the top 5 for Holy Wars, leaderboard hasn't refreshed yet. Point being, the Frontman is definitely a great option for expert level guitar play, even proven with Rock Revolution's more Bemani like stricter timing windows.

But anyways, why can't Rock Band have Pantera also :whistle2:(

To Dr. Strangepork: Technically speaking, getting more stars will progress you through tour mode quicker (as far as opening up venues, etc), but harder difficulties will get you more fans. But, I would stay at what you are comfortable at for now, and gradually work your way up through harder difficulties.

The DLC songs don't seem to have much people on the leaderboards, but the on disc songs seem like they have a good amount.

Also, anyone feel free to send me a friend request to go through challenges or to work on getting some trophies. I'm about to try to do the band challenges on easy drum / easy vocal, since I'm thinking the charts on drums on easy should be "one handable" so I can hold the mic with the other :lol:. Although I would much rather play a single part on them on expert, to have those count towards the complete so many challenges on expert trophy.

EDIT (as not to put a post right underneath my last one): This week's DLC songs are up in the in game music store. I am downloading the Godsmack and Rob Zombie tracks right now. They however do not show up in the PSN store, and the PSN store has not been updated otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys know of any third party guitars that have buttons similar to the Rock Band 1 guitar but a strum bar that clicks?

[quote name='DeskLaser']The DLC songs don't seem to have much people on the leaderboards, but the on disc songs seem like they have a good amount.

Also, anyone feel free to send me a friend request to go through challenges or to work on getting some trophies. I'm about to try to do the band challenges on easy drum / easy vocal, since I'm thinking the charts on drums on easy should be "one handable" so I can hold the mic with the other :lol:. Although I would much rather play a single part on them on expert, to have those count towards the complete so many challenges on expert trophy.

EDIT (as not to put a post right underneath my last one): This week's DLC songs are up in the in game music store. I am downloading the Godsmack and Rob Zombie tracks right now. They however do not show up in the PSN store, and the PSN store has not been updated otherwise.[/quote]Hey I can play with you.I play expert drums and can pass almost every song. The only songs I can't pass are Teen Age Riot and Panic Attack. I can pass visions but I rather not do that song...

[quote name='snakelda']Hey I can play with you.I play expert drums and can pass almost every song. The only songs I can't pass are Teen Age Riot and Panic Attack. I can pass visions but I rather not do that song...[/quote]

Sign me up too.

I play a mean bass expert, and I can stay alive on expert guitar.

Also, if I have RB2 can I play online with someone who has RB1?

Thanks snakelda and D_Icon, I just sent you both friend requests. And D_Icon, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that you can't play online across games.

I'll send you a friend request also. To clarify, I was only using Visions really as a gauge to find what guitar works the best for me. It's not like I play it all the time or anything :p

I'll be adding a bunch of you guys to my friends list later tonight. I can do drums on some of the lower tier songs on hard (probably most of them on medium) and can do bass expert and guitar expert on the lower tier songs. Not really into hardcore serious play, just would like to mess around and maybe get some trophies in the process. :p

Sure no problem, whatever is fine. Just hope we can get 4 people together sometime since I still need the 8x multiplier trophy and the Bachman Turner award.

Alright, might be awhile before I get to play with you folks, internet went out and cable company won't be showing up till Wednesday. Grrrrr...

bread's done
Back