The Saboteur - 10/09 - Gen. Discussin & Info

Nealocus123

That's Vagtastic!
Feedback
13 (100%)
the_saboteur_logo.jpg_626.jpg

Probably my most anticipated (new) game coming out this year. A lot of people missed it during E3 so check out the trailer (which is just...just insane) and read some articles. It's going to be great!

BECOME THE SABOTEUR

Pandemic Studios invites you to experience the ultimate open-world action/adventure—as The Saboteur. Avenge the loss of your loved ones by hunting down your sworn enemies in Nazi-occupied Paris. Fight, climb, and race your way through this unique world to destroy the lives of those that have taken everything from you. Enter the seedy world of a saboteur living in a stylized 1940s Paris, where the women are sexy, the missions are epic, and the revenge is satisfying.

DESCRIPTION

Welcome to Nazi-occupied Paris, a unique open world where you are The Saboteur. Play as Sean Devlin, a street-tough Irish racing mechanic seeking personal redemption on a Nazi officer that has taken everything away from him. Now, it’s time for payback—with the help of the French Resistance, British intelligence, an arsenal of weaponry, your own street smarts and brawn, you must exact revenge on those who aimed to destroy your life. Motivated by retribution and armed with tactics of sabotage, blow up zeppelins, derail trains, implode bridges, destroy armored tanks, and level enemy facilities in the name of vengeance.

FEATURES

1st Ever Open-World Paris – Fight, climb, and prowl through the dark alleys, rooftops, burlesque houses, and seedy streets of the City of Lights—the ultimate playground for The Saboteur.
The Art of Sabotage – Being The Saboteur is all about attacking while staying unnoticed. Get your mission intel at underground clubs and cabarets. Eliminate your adversaries with stealth attacks, disguise, distractions, and explosives. Master a variety of weapons, automobiles, and skills to sabotage enemy operations.
The Will to Fight – An action-packed experience and thrilling storyline are made even more engaging by an innovative visual style, characters, and the new “Will to Fight” technology. Experience how the city reacts and changes around you as you free it from Nazi oppression. Only you can restore hope and grandeur to Paris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b4ZkCcTT0M
E3 Trailer

Game Q&A
Larry Marcum over at TalkingAboutGames.com was able to catch up with Pandemics very busy Lead Designer Tom French to nail down some outstanding questions revolving around The Saboteur.

http://talkingaboutgames.com/news/interviews/4325-pandemic-studios-offers-up-details-on-the-saboteur

PS: This is my first Gen Discussion thread so feel free to tell me if I missed any important information.

I'll play it, but it just looks like the godfather meets assassin creed, which sounds good on paper, but we'll see.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']I'll play it, but it just looks like the godfather meets assassin creed, which sounds good on paper, but we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it's more like Grand Theft Auto 4 meets Assasin's Creed 2. I can see how a game like this could go wrong, but with Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2, Mercenaries, Destroy All Humans, and Lord of the Rings Conquest all under Pandemic Studios belt, I have high hopes.

This E3 demo got me to put it on the wish list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzzYrW_ZWKQ

Zepplins have my attention. Though I was irk'ed after seeing his disguise disappear once firing one round off and how he just stuffs the Panzerschreck in his magic pocket; probably not worth full price [in competition to other 2009 holiday releases], but it should redeem Pandemic Studios after Mercenaries 2: World in Flames and LotR: Conquest.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Shrapnellistic']
Though I was irk'ed after seeing his disguise disappear once firing one round off and how he just stuffs the Panzerschreck in his magic pocket;[/QUOTE]

At least they did acknowledge that they did take some liberties on some things. As long as the game is fun, I not too worried about a minor detail about stuffing weapons into a magic pocket.

I would tend to agree with you on the disappearing disguise thing. You should get to keep the disguise until someone sees you firing a weapon at a Nazi.

Been waiting for this one since it was announced, way back in early 07 it seems. I love the art concept. I was burnt out on WWII games (even if its a fave genre/time period for games), but WaW and this have reignited my interest.

Garbage in garbage out... Looks like they skinned Army of Two because the gun sounds just as bad as well as the crosshairs. Apparently, you can take hit after hit and not die.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Garbage in garbage out... Looks like they skinned Army of Two because the gun sounds just as bad as well as the crosshairs. Apparently, you can take hit after hit and not die.[/QUOTE]

They said they made a brand new engine for this, so I don't think they skinned Army of Two. I bet they had some invincibility mode on for purposes of the demo. There was one time he got hit by a rocket and flew across the screen. That probably would have killed him in normal circumstances.

Hmm....when I think of Saboteur I think sneaky dramatic nazi shit. This guy was runnin and gunnin. He should have had a silnced pistol (if needed) and the nazi outfit vanishing after shooting one guy was lame.

noirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoirnoir

I don't think Pandemic has EVER released an "A" level game, with Mercenaries and Battlefront being as close as they have gotten. Mercenaries 2 was fun, but flawed, and Lord of the Rings Conquest was a mess. The last few games they have come out with all suffer from not feeling polished. This could hurt The Saboteur, even though on paper this game could be amazing. Lets hope they break the current rut they have been in. Stealth games, more than just about any other, suffer GREATLY from a game not being polished.

This game does look really great, but Mercenaries 2 and LOTR: Conquest, while fun, needed quite a bit of polish. Pandemic certainly has the potential to make great games, they just need to take that extra time to fine tune and polish the final product.

Regardless, I'm keeping an eye on this one.

[quote name='foxdvd']I don't think Pandemic has EVER released an "A" level game, with Mercenaries and Battlefront being as close as they have gotten. Mercenaries 2 was fun, but flawed, and Lord of the Rings Conquest was a mess. The last few games they have come out with all suffer from not feeling polished. This could hurt The Saboteur, even though on paper this game could be amazing. Lets hope they break the current rut they have been in. Stealth games, more than just about any other, suffer GREATLY from a game not being polished.[/QUOTE]

Uh Mercenaries, Battlefront, Destroy All Humans, Full Spectrum Warrior, all were really great games. Pandemic just can't seem to develop well this console generation for some reason.

[quote name='robin2099']Uh Mercenaries, Battlefront, Destroy All Humans, Full Spectrum Warrior, all were really great games. Pandemic just can't seem to develop well this console generation for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Uh...I said that Mercenaries and Battlefront were good games, but "A" level? They both just missed being a game of that level. Destroy All Humans was fun (but mindless) and Full Spectrum Warrior was so different it won over a lot of people but was not even in the same league as Mercenaries or Battlefront which are probably mid to high 8's out of 10's. I agreed with Gamespot's 7-8 or so review of FSW.

To start a reply with "uh" implies that you are so blown away by the ignorance of my statement that Pandemic has never made an A level game, that you have no words to express your shock other than uh. I don't think Mercenaries or Battlefront deserve that kind loyalty. I do agree with you though that their newer games seem to be going the wrong direction.

The game just recently went gold. Anybody excited for this?

I am hoping this may be sort of a sleeper hit. The game looks great, I am looking forward to some reviews.

Really looking forward to getting to play this game in a few weeks. Got to check out a few levels at Comic Con this summer and I thought it was a blast! Hopefully it can keep up that presentation and fun level in full release.

Looks like it's getting ok reviews. 71% on metacritic. I'm interested in this game,but will wait for a price drop. Any chance the price will drop fast due to Pandemic's folding?

Haha, I picked this up today at Hastings and I feel like I got kinda ripped off. If like Assassin's Creed II except that you can only do that "press a to jump up the building" and you can't just climb up stuff. I dunno, the whole just feels "meh..." but keep in mind, I've only been playing for like an hour.

Also, I didn't notice anyone comment on the "Midnight Show" DLC that comes with the game. Basically, when you buy the game new, you can redeem a code and the game will deliver tits in the options menu. I haven't seen anything else about it so far, but I just think that it's funny that the nudity is restricted to the DLC that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR if you bought a copy where the code has been redeemed. If you're interested, click here.

[quote name='alexconcarne']Basically, when you buy the game new, you can redeem a code and the game will deliver tits in the options menu. I haven't seen anything else about it so far, but I just think that it's funny that the nudity is restricted to the DLC that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR if you bought a copy where the code has been redeemed. If you're interested, click here.[/QUOTE]

they're trying to make money off of used sales.. can you blame them?

[quote name='alexconcarne']Also, I didn't notice anyone comment on the "Midnight Show" DLC that comes with the game. Basically, when you buy the game new, you can redeem a code and the game will deliver tits in the options menu. I haven't seen anything else about it so far, but I just think that it's funny that the nudity is restricted to the DLC that YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR if you bought a copy where the code has been redeemed. If you're interested, click here.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much standard now, especially for EA releases. They did it with their NBA games the last two years, also with Dragon Age, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

[quote name='Scorch']they're trying to make money off of used sales.. can you blame them?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I meant that, I think that, before the game shipped, EA was in their office going, "Crap.... This isn't a multiplayer game, so we can't do what we did with Madden. Wait... There's nudity?! Okay, put stickers on all of the girls boobs, and make them PAY for it."

So it's not so much EA trying to make money off of used games, it's just the content that they chose to make their cash cow. (Does that make sense? :3 )

reviews seem to be fairly the same "good story and creative idea but some hard to forgive flaws." I will eventually give this game a shot when it reaches the $30 or so price point.

[quote name='alexconcarne']Sorry, I worded that wrong. I meant that, I think that, before the game shipped, EA was in their office going, "Crap.... This isn't a multiplayer game, so we can't do what we did with Madden. Wait... There's nudity?! Okay, put stickers on all of the girls boobs, and make them PAY for it."

So it's not so much EA trying to make money off of used games, it's just the content that they chose to make their cash cow. (Does that make sense? :3 )[/QUOTE]

But that's the thing, though. It's not about making people pay for it via DLC. It's about making people "pay" for it by purchasing a new copy. Also, the content is just not nudity. It's suppose to also unlock some sort of mini-game and new hiding places.

This game is awesome, I'm absolutely amazed by the originality of the art design. It's got an interesting story line and the missions are a blast...plus it's got tons of boobies.

I'm really shocked that this didn't gather as much hype and interest as other titles. This sorta resembles Assassin's Creed mixed in with Mercenaries and GTAIV...Love it!

Anyone know what the post cards look like and where they are usually found? I climbed up to the top of the Eiffel Tower expecting to find a post card but I couldn't spot one. I did get the achievement for climbing to the top, and somehow for jumping off and surviving the landing when I landed flat on the sidewalk and died :lol:

Actually I have to say that the DLC for nudity is a pretty clever way to get people to buy the game new and/or to make a little money from people who buy it used, though honestly I can't imagine paying $5 for a video game boob show. Better to spend the $5 on DVD rentals with real nudity. :)

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone know what the post cards look like and where they are usually found? I climbed up to the top of the Eiffel Tower expecting to find a post card but I couldn't spot one. I did get the achievement for climbing to the top, and somehow for jumping off and surviving the landing when I landed flat on the sidewalk and died :lol:[/QUOTE]
They kind of look like hidden packages from one of the PS2 GTA's (the ones that look like bricks of cocaine) and are pretty well-hidden. The only one I've seen was near a mission where the
former priest asks you to kill a snitch for him
, which is at a huge, round building. They're just white dots on the minimap like anything else, so it'll be hard to specifically find them.

Been playing this and I'm kind of liking the exploration more than the story/missions when I've run missions I didn't really like:

-The first mission for the ex-priest, as I couldn't tell who my target really was amongst all of the guys that looked just like him until he was running away.
-The first mission for the other resistance on the west side of town where you have to break one of their guys out of lockup as a sign of trust. The game suggested I create a distraction with an explosion or get a disguise and walk right in, but those Nazis never moved and noticed I was a fraud with ease. I ended up shooting a sniper with my silent pistol and sliding across a wire while in Nazi garb and methodically taking out everyone up top, then inside, and walking him out. I had to do that twice because when I noticed he couldn't climb a ladder, I dropped and landed on him from 6 feet up and killed him.

I did like the
train mission a lot, as it was a pretty cool use of the trains and large map they created.

If it wasn't for every part of the game feeling clunky and lacking a bit of polish, this would probably be close to Assassin's Creed II in terms of great sandbox parkour games this fall.

Anyone know where i can find a list of where to get the cars? I only need the truck with the gun on the back and the bulletproof kaiser.

I have just started playing this and I am enjoying it so far. It is a bit glitchy, but nothing too bad so far. Had this game gotten just a little bit more polish it would have been a great game (based off of what I have played up to now).

I just beat the game and for me the fun factor just isn't really there. The amount of time I have wasted (and will continue to waste) on the freeplay targets might be part of the problem but the building climbing is boring, I think Uncharted and Prince of Persia are the only games that can pull that off and make it fun. Its definitely a well made game but lacks the fun factor which makes good games great. I'd give it a 7/10

I am not that far into the game yet, but I can see how some things become tiresome. A couple of complaints that I have are 1) There is a lot of crossing the entire map to get to the next mission 2) Wish you couple place custom waypoints on the map.

You can place your own waypoints on the map...

To me this is the game that GTA wishes it could be. There's gratuitous violence and all, but at least there's a point to it now instead of steal this car, kill that drug dealer and then escape from the cops.

I'm hoping that I didn't go so far in the main story line that I can no longer do sidequests (85% last I looked)

I have had constant reservations about this game. My friend bought it a while back, didn't want it, gave it to me, and I ended up selling it after three months of sitting on the shelf. The same friend repurchased it a few weeks back, played it, hated it, and sold it within a week. I WANT to like this game... but I'm scared to death to buy, open, and play it.

Maybe it's just the box art that I find appealing.

definitely get it and play it if you like the GTA style of game. It's one of the most underrated and fantastic games I've ever played. Easily in my top ten if not in the top five games I've played in the last decade.

Most underrated game of 2009 by far. If you like AC, GTA, SR, or Red Dead, you'll really enjoy this game. Just be careful around young people or significant others that wouldn't want you to look at bare boobs a lot.

You only get bare boobs if you buy the game new and use the DLC code or something.

I bought mine used and there was no nudity. I didn't even know the game had it till after I beat the game and a friend of mine asked me how the naked girls looked. lol

bread's done
Back