The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

I heard about The Captains like a year ago. I am so stoked it actually got made. I'll be really excited to see the interviews, especially with Avery Brooks since he seems to have disappeared.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']there will prolly never be another Trek series...

...but the movie reboot saved us[/QUOTE]
It saved Trek like Bashir saved Vedek Bareil.

It's a shame TNG doesn't look any better than it did on broadcast. The Netflix stream almost looks like it's a VHS tape, or on par with a syndicated broadcast. I know it's so old that it's probably unrealistic to expect them to clean up the entire series or put it in HD, and I'll still watch the hell out of it, but I think I've gotten spoiled by some of Netflix's other offerings.

[quote name='johnnypark']It's a shame TNG doesn't look any better than it did on broadcast. The Netflix stream almost looks like it's a VHS tape, or on par with a syndicated broadcast. I know it's so old that it's probably unrealistic to expect them to clean up the entire series or put it in HD, and I'll still watch the hell out of it, but I think I've gotten spoiled by some of Netflix's other offerings.[/QUOTE]

UH OH... on a 58 inch plasma the dvd looked like shit :(

Watched a little TNG last night on Netflix. Decided to move randomly, stay away from "big" episodes. A little Reg Barclay in the mix, too, I saw the one where he gets flashed by the light. It was a fun way to pass a few hours.

There were a few things that bothered the scifi part of the brain from the smart Reg episode that I didn't recall from watching it on broadcast. Reg figures out a way to use the Enterprise's existing technology to get from A to B (30,000 l.y. in the show) much faster than any manner of warping.

If it uses existing tech, wouldn't that be the FIRST priority for the crew and federation after the incident of the episode? JLP's voice log at the end says they've got records on this new civilization that will take the federation decades to review, but what about the hyper-warp travel, JLP? I know that Reg was "possessed" to do this, but again, it uses existing technology. That's a big head start. And he did all this using the ship's computers -- granted, it stored his consciousness somehow, but wouldn't it still be in memory after the incident?

I hate when scifi shows do that shit, where they temporarily exceed established limits and then give you the ol' "look over there."

[quote name='dothog']Watched a little TNG last night on Netflix. Decided to move randomly, stay away from "big" episodes. A little Reg Barclay in the mix, too, I saw the one where he gets flashed by the light. It was a fun way to pass a few hours.

There were a few things that bothered the scifi part of the brain from the smart Reg episode that I didn't recall from watching it on broadcast. Reg figures out a way to use the Enterprise's existing technology to get from A to B (30,000 l.y. in the show) much faster than any manner of warping.

If it uses existing tech, wouldn't that be the FIRST priority for the crew and federation after the incident of the episode? JLP's voice log at the end says they've got records on this new civilization that will take the federation decades to review, but what about the hyper-warp travel, JLP? I know that Reg was "possessed" to do this, but again, it uses existing technology. That's a big head start. And he did all this using the ship's computers -- granted, it stored his consciousness somehow, but wouldn't it still be in memory after the incident?

I hate when scifi shows do that shit, where they temporarily exceed established limits and then give you the ol' "look over there."[/QUOTE]

Then you would think he would share this modified use of technology with the crew of Voyager when he was in contact with them...

[quote name='ITDEFX']UH OH... on a 58 inch plasma the dvd looked like shit :([/QUOTE]

Don't expect the stream to look any better, then. It's watchable on my 24" monitor but don't expect any miracles. A lot like older games, this series was made for standard definition and looks best on it.

The worst is the stock footage of the Enterprise coasting through space, the intro, and the credits. I think a lot of it was made during the early run of the series and was never updated or re-done, so it's aged a lot worse than the later seasons. I'm guessing the amount of effort required to clean it up wouldn't be worth the small gains in picture quality short of re-doing some of the sequences like they did with TOS.

[quote name='johnnypark']Don't expect the stream to look any better, then. It's watchable on my 24" monitor but don't expect any miracles. A lot like older games, this series was made for standard definition and looks best on it.

The worst is the stock footage of the Enterprise coasting through space, the intro, and the credits. I think a lot of it was made during the early run of the series and was never updated or re-done, so it's aged a lot worse than the later seasons. I'm guessing the amount of effort required to clean it up wouldn't be worth the small gains in picture quality short of re-doing some of the sequences like they did with TOS.[/QUOTE]

Voyager isn't that great either :| Looks dark as hell. *Sigh* I really wish there was some love from WB to get Babylon 5 remastered and restored for HD.

Streaming TNG proved wonderful over the weekend.
Troi wears the blue minidress uniform in the pilot (which I've never seen before oddly enough) but then goes to her nonstandard jumpsuits in the 2nd show. More mini please.
Dr. Crusher is as hot as I remember, amazing that she was just shy of 40 when the run began.

Those two wasted a lot of kleenexes in my youth...

Even though it's a show about meetings, it's still one of the best things to ever hit TV and I've been loving the hell out of having this and The Kids In The Hall streaming. Life is ok now.

[quote name='dafoomie']You should see who Kate Mulgrew replaced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIZcDWKyw0[/QUOTE]

Continued this from the Netflix thread so I don't clog that discussion up, but OH MY, she's HORRIBLE!!
I watched part 1 and 2 comparing her and Kate Mulgrew and like someone said she's worse than a Vulcan on sedatives, lol..

Yeah shes horrible glad she had a midlife crisis and couldnt handle it and quit/got booted at the same time

On lighter note, watched TNG on Netlix, chose to watch Schisms because like a week or so back it was the talk of the thread

Any other suggestions, Ive seen them all so I cant pick lol

Here are the two videos where you can directly compare the two. I have to admit, after seeing these I have a new respect for KM, even if I didn't like the character of Janeway-

[youtube]6pgAFV2YxLQ&[/youtube]

[youtube]NANUpPaiGG8&[/youtube]

A few things:

1) It's massively unfair to compare KM and GB and conclude that GB was awful. After 7 years of Voyager, anyone else would look wrong, just as it would look unthinkable to replace Picard or Sisko. We are completely used to KM's timing, delivery, and style. The actors, even though they don't write the scripts, have a huge influence on where the characters eventually go and how they're developed.

2) GB is a different take on the character -- more serious and low key. There's no saying it wouldn't have worked in the long run -- both Picard and Sisko certainly needed to loosen up. Hell, it might have even been better. If Voyager had taken its premise and situation seriously, it would have been a radically different (and probably better) show.

3) GB did "win" the auditions. It's not as if they put her in there for no reason at all. That said, what worked in auditions didn't work quite the same way in front of the camera with the rest of the crew. It could be they initially went with GB because they wanted a female captain that people would take seriously. They certainly got the serious part...

4) I've often said that Kate Mulgrew is the only reason Janeway is tolerable. She's underappreciated in that sense because Janeway is a such a hateable character, and Mulgrew is the sole reason some of the episodes even hold together. I'm not a fan of Janeway at all, but I am a fan of Mulgrew and I recognize that she went above and beyond in selling the character and making the shows work.

Did anybody catch William Shatner's The Captains documentary? It aired on Epix yesterday. I thought it was decent overall, if a bit Shatner-heavy. It was interesting seeing Kate Mulgrew and Avery Brooks again. Patrick Stewart was great. The Chris Pine bits were a complete waste of time. But, man, Avery Brooks, I want to know what that guy was on. I suppose if Shatner had asked him, he would have started playing the piano and singing an incomprehensible song about life.

[quote name='Xiaan']Did anybody catch William Shatner's The Captains documentary? It aired on Epix yesterday. I thought it was decent overall, if a bit Shatner-heavy. It was interesting seeing Kate Mulgrew and Avery Brooks again. Patrick Stewart was great. The Chris Pine bits were a complete waste of time. But, man, Avery Brooks, I want to know what that guy was on. I suppose if Shatner had asked him, he would have started playing the piano and singing an incomprehensible song about life.[/QUOTE]

Avery Brooks was on crack

Chris Pine, I like him, but you could just tell he did it for publicity and didnt really care

Patrick Stewart cared, also did Kate Mulgrew

Shatner was just Shatner

Brooks has always seemed kinda strange to me, cool, just a little strange. I think he actually teaches drama, would be cool to be in that class. I wish DS9 was up on Netflix, I'd like to watch Far Beyond the Stars.

Ive been watching Voyager on Netflix

Has anyone ever noticed how stupid any Starfleet person is for always going an away mission with just another person in a shuttle (this case the Delta Flyer)?

Or when Chatkotay went out to find his Indian ghostgrandfather and took a Kazon youngyon under his wing?

So stupid lol

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Ive been watching Voyager on Netflix

Has anyone ever noticed how stupid any Starfleet person is for always going an away mission with just another person in a shuttle (this case the Delta Flyer)?

Or when Chatkotay went out to find his Indian ghostgrandfather and took a Kazon youngyon under his wing?

So stupid lol[/QUOTE]

voyager was a joke.

Curious to see just what gets improved. Glad I never bought the DVDs now. Then again, it will probably be ten years before the BDs become affordable.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Don't know if I would buy, because I'd bet they charge a grand for the whole series.[/QUOTE]

sad but true...paid 100 bucks for each seasons :(

[quote name='CaptainKirk']ouch!!! why? they are like 59.99, 69.99 tops[/QUOTE]

I paid something like $60 for the whole set thanks to CAG!! Probably my best deal.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']For those who dont have Epix

Go to Epix.com...

Sign up for a free trial...with a junk email...and watch The Captains :)[/QUOTE]
Good call sir, I am so doing this.

I saw the Comicon clip with Brooks and Shatner... other than the audio being screwed up, it was a great panel. Avery really has so much humanity and elegance about him... I definitely see that he played a huge part in how the Sisko character was formed.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']ouch!!! why? they are like 59.99, 69.99 tops[/QUOTE]

when they came out they were 100 bucks in 2002....of course they have dropped over the years.

[quote name='lordwow']They were upwards of $120 when they first came out.[/QUOTE]

BB/Walmart had them for like 99.99/90.xx during the first week of release...then it went up in price.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Good call sir, I am so doing this.

I saw the Comicon clip with Brooks and Shatner... other than the audio being screwed up, it was a great panel. Avery really has so much humanity and elegance about him... I definitely see that he played a huge part in how the Sisko character was formed.[/QUOTE]
Brooks also has one of the most recognizable voices ever I think. I know he's done a lot of narration for Discovery Channel shows and he's always easy to recognize.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Annoying Star Trek Characters:
Neelix
Picards Barber (the blue guy)
Harry Kim[/QUOTE]

Annoying CAG Star Trek Wannabe Fanboy:

CaptainKirk

.....let me guess...you still have the hots for 7 of 9? She looks too curvy for the show.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Annoying Star Trek Characters:
Neelix
Picards Barber (the blue guy)
Harry Kim[/QUOTE]
Troi
Ezri Dax

I didn't mind Harry Kim, Mot was intended to annoy the cast though.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Annoying CAG Star Trek Wannabe Fanboy:

CaptainKirk

.....let me guess...you still have the hots for 7 of 9? She looks too curvy for the show.[/QUOTE]

HEY!!! look who has no life!

[quote name='ITDEFX']umm... YOU?

yep! :cool:[/QUOTE]

wow, first time it was like you have no life and it was done...

...but now? seriously?

you sir are why the internet is why it is

[quote name='CaptainKirk']wow, first time it was like you have no life and it was done...

...but now? seriously?

you sir are why the internet is why it is[/QUOTE]

lol

It's good to be the King. Has any other head of state appeared on Star Trek?

King_Abdullah_on_Star_Trek.jpg

presidentobamameetsjord.jpg

bread's done
Back