The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='davo1224']I didn't understand your wording but would like to discuss. What do you mean about the Kazon?[/QUOTE]

Kazon...

...they like any race in Star Trek, movie, or even real life have a select region of space that they had, like how gangs have neighborhoods

...the writers were smart and didnt make the Kazon follow Voyager all the way to Earth because you wouldnt have your whole race follow a ship for 70 years to kill it

...that is why they used the whole Kes becoming something greater to throw Voyager forward like 10 years

[quote name='lordwow']Saw this new book about TNG at B&N today:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-The-Next-Generation/dp/141970429X/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Looks really interesting. Goes chronologically through TNG's pre-production & each episode with new stories from the cast and crew. Some really interesting stuff that I hadn't read on Memory Alpha before. And it's got a ton of new photos from behind the scenes.[/QUOTE]

Is this better than the ST:TNG Companion book from a few years ago?

Star Trek Voyager Season 6 Episode 9 - The Voyager Conspiracy

When Seven is going crazy she legit pulls up a frame of a tracker beam pulling the core of the Caretaker away just like her conspiracy theory claims

There was no explanation to this?

All her other claims can be explained by another reason except that

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Amazon.com has season two down to 79.99. Now we're getting closer.[/QUOTE]

wasn't season 1 59.99 release week?

I hope this isn't going to be trend.

season 1: 59.99
season 2: 79.99
season 3: 99.99
season 4: 119.99
season 5: think about working some over time.
season 6: sell some blood til you pass out.
season 7: star taking out another loan.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wasn't season 1 59.99 release week?
[/QUOTE]
Yes it was, but for the longest time it was 79.99, maybe 76 or so from Deep Discount. 59.99 was revealed in the Best Buy ad, so let's give it a week or so before release before we hit the panic button and question whether or not we have enough equity in our homes for Season 7.

The Enterprise looks a little sharper, the cube looks sharper, but fake as hell. I had hoped they'd just go back and CGI all the ship/space scenes, but I guess not.

[quote name='Clak']The Enterprise looks a little sharper, the cube looks sharper, but fake as hell. I had hoped they'd just go back and CGI all the ship/space scenes, but I guess not.[/QUOTE]

I was really hoping for the borg cube from First Contact. Guess they are trying not to pull a George Lucas.

Well if you're going to spruce up a few things, but not others, and in the same shots no less, that just makes no sense. Do the Borg look more evil in their plastic space cube or something?

Go big or go home I say in this situation.

No matter what they do, it won't please everyone. If they go totally CGI, they'll offend some purists, some of whom will object to the change on principle and some of whom have a hate-on for CGI.

That said, the before/after...well, it's better, but it's not something that I think I'd show off. Some of the other before/after shots have been much more dramatic. I'm sure this will look fine when they're done.

I think season 2 is done and being prepped for retail right now.

But to be honest, they should really use the First Contact cube because of the large amount of detail it has and it doesn't look like a major kit bash like you see in that episode.

Honestly, from an artistic standpoint, I think the Enterprise model (it's fucking gorgeous, especially the larger one they used early on) could hang with a CGI cube without it looking rediculous. But I get their line of thinking. I'm thinking they're really afraid of even slightly coming off Lucas-esque.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Honestly, from an artistic standpoint, I think the Enterprise model (it's fucking gorgeous, especially the larger one they used early on) could hang with a CGI cube without it looking rediculous. But I get their line of thinking. I'm thinking they're really afraid of even slightly coming off Lucas-esque.[/QUOTE]

Considering Industrial Light & Magic did most of the Star Trek movies and it is owned by Lucasfilms then Star Trek as a hole went Lucas-esque :bouncy:

[quote name='Tony Stark']Considering Industrial Light & Magic did most of the Star Trek movies and it is owned by Lucasfilms then Star Trek as a hole went Lucas-esque :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I think the effects house that did TNG was called Image G?

Honestly I wish they would give space more lively backgrounds instead of just stars.

oh and I JUST got my tickets for the TNG Event at the end of the month!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Honestly I wish they would give space more lively backgrounds instead of just stars.[/QUOTE]
B5 went that route, they had to be creative to make their primitive early 90s CGI look good.

[quote name='dafoomie']B5 went that route, they had to be creative to make their primitive early 90s CGI look good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...

man oh man.....JMS and WB better get cracking with B5 HD soon :(

[quote name='dafoomie']B5 went that route, they had to be creative to make their primitive early 90s CGI look good.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they did it because they wanted it to look more like space. Many of the backgrounds in B5 came from the Hubble Space Telescope. And a good number of them, while enhanced, are reasonably close to what they would actually look like if you were there, to the best of our ability to speculate.

B5 didn't really need to make their space shots better, anyway -- those were decent. It was the interior shots and aliens that revealed the limitations of their CGI the most.

(Oh, and since NASA had shared the images with the B5 folks and they were public domain, it was a lot easier to use real images than create new backgrounds.)

I think the best thing they can do right now is make it look good but not too distracting. We all know what it looked like before -- I even hate to think of how many times some of us have seen some of these episodes.

Sometimes less really is more. It's fun to look at the improved quality and even scrutinize the effects or improvements. But too many of them and you lose the whole point. It no longer becomes about what's there, but about what's changed.

I have this crazy feeling that WB/JMS is going to make an announcement for B5 HD sometime next year. It was shot in 16x9....so as long as the footage is in good shape, people did their jobs [like what the editors did for TNG] and the models can be rebuilt it shouldn't be that bad of a restoration project.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/11...Season-2-on-BluRay-Coming-December-2012.shtml

why hello there Transporter operator who's about to get banged by the space pirate :p

you know from the latest screenshots...it's almost like they are comparing the BR HD release to the VHS release..........the DVD's did not look that bad on SDTV's..

EDIT: yes I was right! Look at the top of the SD frames.......those white lines. I have seen them when digitizing vhs to the computer via video capture cards [ATI]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']Well this was a no brainer since it was easier than the TNG HD project considering Enterprise was shot in HD... My guess they are going to upscale the space shots from 72O to 1O8Op instead of redoing it............ I read somewhere that even BSG was upscaled that way as well for the BR release and fans didn't care.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2012/11/11/Confirmed-Star-Trek-Enterprise-Coming-to-BluRay-in-2013.shtml[/QUOTE]

Just to clear things up a bit. Enterprise was shot on 35mm film until season 4 (Then they shot on Sony 1080i HD cameras) TOS and TNG were also shot on 35 mm. I can understand the confusion because Enterprise was an HD on air broadcast throughout its entire run.

Just wanted to clear that up. :D Theres still to this day: NO camera thats "higher" definition than film. Film is the end all be all of HD. (Even the big red 1 uses a traditional 35 mm lens)

[quote name='blandstalker']Actually, they did it because they wanted it to look more like space. Many of the backgrounds in B5 came from the Hubble Space Telescope. And a good number of them, while enhanced, are reasonably close to what they would actually look like if you were there, to the best of our ability to speculate.

B5 didn't really need to make their space shots better, anyway -- those were decent. It was the interior shots and aliens that revealed the limitations of their CGI the most.[/QUOTE]
It was more to make space look interesting than realistic. You're right though, their space stuff still holds up today, it's stuff like the train scenes that really suck but they didn't really have a budget for that anyway. JMS said that DS9's pilot episode alone had a budget similar to B5's entire first season.

[quote name='davo1224']Maybe it's heresy to mention it in this thread but someone brought up Babylon 5. Thoughts? Opinions?[/QUOTE]
Haven't seen a better story from start to finish in a TV series yet. Sad that much of the cast has died and that the movie never materialized.

[quote name='davo1224']Maybe it's heresy to mention it in this thread but someone brought up Babylon 5. Thoughts? Opinions?[/QUOTE]

Best space sci fi drama ever..until BSG :D

[quote name='dafoomie']It was more to make space look interesting than realistic. You're right though, their space stuff still holds up today, it's stuff like the train scenes that really suck but they didn't really have a budget for that anyway. JMS said that DS9's pilot episode alone had a budget similar to B5's entire first season.

Haven't seen a better story from start to finish in a TV series yet. Sad that much of the cast has died and that the movie never materialized.[/QUOTE]

That's true...it's like Star Trek actors last longer than b5 actors..hmm.. Shit even the TNG cast is still alive...........but who will care when Wil Weaton dies? ;)

[quote name='EdRyder']Just to clear things up a bit. Enterprise was shot on 35mm film until season 4 (Then they shot on Sony 1080i HD cameras) TOS and TNG were also shot on 35 mm. I can understand the confusion because Enterprise was an HD on air broadcast throughout its entire run.

Just wanted to clear that up. :D Theres still to this day: NO camera thats "higher" definition than film. Film is the end all be all of HD. (Even the big red 1 uses a traditional 35 mm lens)[/QUOTE]

Well I never saw Enterprise in HD during it's run only in SD but it still looked good. Seeing it in HD in Fios a few year back was pretty good even though I know that the signal is compressed worse than BR's.

Well actually I was thinking of more of a proper wide screen format. Wasn't it shot with widescreen 16x9 in mind?

Is anyone else going to the theater event for Star Trek: The Next Generation on November 29th? It's at select theaters and they're showing 2 episodes from season 2: Q Who? and The Measure of a Man. I went to the one back in July and it was fun and I can't wait for the event on the 29th.

[quote name='Mandy I Am']Is anyone else going to the theater event for Star Trek: The Next Generation on November 29th? It's at select theaters and they're showing 2 episodes from season 2: Q Who? and The Measure of a Man. I went to the one back in July and it was fun and I can't wait for the event on the 29th.[/QUOTE]

is it an event?

or is it two episodes on a movie screen?

meaning what else happens?

[quote name='Mandy I Am']Is anyone else going to the theater event for Star Trek: The Next Generation on November 29th? It's at select theaters and they're showing 2 episodes from season 2: Q Who? and The Measure of a Man. I went to the one back in July and it was fun and I can't wait for the event on the 29th.[/QUOTE]

I am! Taking my wife with me! She is not a trekker but it's something I want to share with her.

[quote name='Tony Stark']is it an event?

or is it two episodes on a movie screen?

meaning what else happens?[/QUOTE]

Yep, 2 remastered episodes on the screen and I think from what other cags said there is an intro from the TNG remaster team, previews of the next season release and some free stuff. Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..

Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..

The only thing I noticed was no audio during one of the commentaries before they showed the episodes. It was a bit annoying and it took a while before they got it fixed. People were getting a little bothered by it and we were all glad that there were no issues during the actual episodes.

I hope there is more trivia this time and not the same questions on a loop.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yep, 2 remastered episodes on the screen and I think from what other cags said there is an intro from the TNG remaster team, previews of the next season release and some free stuff. Some people also reported a signal loss [so I guess it's transmitted] ruining the event..[/QUOTE]

what kind of free stuff? and does everyone get it or only handful of people?

[quote name='Tony Stark']what kind of free stuff? and does everyone get it or only handful of people?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this too. The theater I went to didn't give out anything free or maybe they did and I just didn't notice.

I don't know... it's all from what I read online.........just read a few pages back ....I think Friend of Sonic was at one of these.

Yeah, the season 1 event was cool. I didn't get anything free though. Also, keep in mind Fathom brings their own equipment. It's a stream, not using the nice digital projector or anything the theater has. Still, pretty cool. And these two episodes are much better. Seeing the uncut version of The Measure of a Man will be a special treat.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yeah, the season 1 event was cool. I didn't get anything free though. Also, keep in mind Fathom brings their own equipment. It's a stream, not using the nice digital projector or anything the theater has. Still, pretty cool. And these two episodes are much better. Seeing the uncut version of The Measure of a Man will be a special treat.[/QUOTE]

wait? What do you mean bring their own equipment? Is it some guys with a laptop, a so so projector?

[quote name='ITDEFX']

That's true...it's like Star Trek actors last longer than b5 actors..hmm.. Shit even the TNG cast is still alive...........but who will care when Wil Weaton dies? ;)

[/QUOTE]

Sheldon Cooper that's who

[quote name='ITDEFX']wait? What do you mean bring their own equipment? Is it some guys with a laptop, a so so projector?[/QUOTE]
It's a different projector that's showing a Dish Network satellite feed, so compression is definitely an issue. But it doesn't look terrible or anything. You can just sort of tell you're watching a Fathom Event vs. a movie lol.

[quote name='Tony Stark']Wil Wheaton is one of the most followed people on Twitter

He is at the top of nerdom[/QUOTE]

Yeah..he's the one of the few people in Trek who can explain how the warp engines really work. :roll:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It's a different projector that's showing a Dish Network satellite feed, so compression is definitely an issue. But it doesn't look terrible or anything. You can just sort of tell you're watching a Fathom Event vs. a movie lol.[/QUOTE]

oh wow...was not expecting this. *sigh* :| Maybe I should get my 25 dollars back.

Yeah it's painfully obvious now that the cube is fake in the TNG shot. The lack of internal lighting is one reason, no green glow.

I dunno, was the first contact cube CG or model? I think I read somewhere that the entire battle scene was CG.

They better not fuck up Yesterday's Enterprise or BOBW part 1 and 2.

hmmm wait

from memory alpha

"nable to reuse the Borg cube built for the television series, created out of inexpensive pieces from model kits, a new cube had to be designed. Described by Eaves as "nonsensical", a distinctly new surface was designed, distinguished by interlocking shapes and angles, with a hidden hatchway for Eaves' Borg sphere. Intricate details of ILM's Borg cube model were achieved through the use of recycled paper clips.

As described by visual effects supervisor John Knoll, time allotted for post production visual effects and model building resulted in a "brutal effort". Not only did ILM's team have to construct the Enterprise-E, large models representing the Borg sphere, the new Borg cube, and the Phoenix were also required.

Even more so than the previous film, the First Contact visual effects team also utilized computer-generated imagery, lending itself to sequences that required large numbers of starships. To stand up to the Borg cube alongside the new Enterprise and the old Defiant, ILM art director Alex Jaeger designed sixteen new Starfleet vessels, four of them rendered digitally and appearing in the massive opening battle sequence. The new starships included Akira-class, Saber-class, Steamrunner-class, and Norway-class vessels; the latter starship was lost after production due to a computer glitch, never to appear in Star Trek again. Also included in the melee were a Nebula-class starship, a Miranda-class vessel, and an Oberth-class science ship in its final use. As a joke, the Millennium Falcon CG model (created for the Star Wars Special Editions) was inserted into the Borg attack, though generally indistinguishable.

I'm not surprised it was a model, it was just a much better looking model. They continued using that general look on into Voyager, and I'm sure that doing it in CG wouldn't have been a problem. The Millennium Falcon things is funny though, I'll have to remember that.

bread's done
Back