The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']
kLHUo.png

:lol:[/QUOTE]

Does G4 and IGN have an audience with people that follow games, even?

When I think "gaming journalism" I think Polygon, RPS, Giant Bomb, etc.

So yes, comments and images like that make me roll my eyes. Because who was taking those people seriously to begin with? Pointing out their irrelevance seems unnecessary.

Please play the XBL demo before biting on Kareteka. It is not an inspiring game.

Activision drops prices on their licensed games more freely. 007 Legends could be had for cheap over BF if memory serves but that could also be caused by the dire reviews.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Does G4 and IGN have an audience with people that follow games, even?

So yes, comments and images like that make me roll my eyes. Because who was taking those people seriously to begin with? Pointing out their irrelevance seems unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps (flights, free food/drinks/whatever) -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.

I got a good chuckle the other day when Total Biscuit complained about how low the average was on the Humble THQ Bundle and sarcastically quipped about why developers are less than keen to support the PC market. That from a guy who doesn't even buy the games he plays -- they're all comped to him.

[quote name='Mooby']I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.[/QUOTE]

I get a shitload of game codes from contests and promotions. You should probably not listen to my opinion if I post it on CAG.

[quote name='louiedog']I get a shitload of game codes from contests and promotions. You should probably not listen to my opinion if I post it on CAG.[/QUOTE]

Apples and oranges. Although for what it's worth I recognize my tastes diverge quite a bit from the majority of posters here so I take opinions with a grain of salt.

I just caught up on the thread...

That Biglen kid really did send me a PM; I thought he was joking!

"hey any chance you can pm a code of skyrim? saw u said u have another. just not at home to activate if you was to post it and i have been dying to finally try that game out"

[quote name='Eldredpe']Naw, I was just foolin' around.

You can map them now.[/QUOTE]

'tis truly a horrible port. I had to go into the user.cfg file to change the graphics driver smh

[quote name='SeymourGams']I just caught up on the thread...

That Biglen kid really did send me a PM; I thought he was joking!

"hey any chance you can pm a code of skyrim? saw u said u have another. just not at home to activate if you was to post it and i have been dying to finally try that game out"[/QUOTE]

I should have grabbed an extra copy of Skyrim during that $10 Microsoft Store sale and posted the key here. Someone would be like HOLY CRAP IT REALLY WAS SKYRIM! Then the meme would be fueled for eternity.

[quote name='Mooby']I should have grabbed an extra copy of Skyrim during that $10 Microsoft Store sale and posted the key here. Someone would be like HOLY CRAP IT REALLY WAS SKYRIM! Then the meme would be fueled for eternity.[/QUOTE]

If only someone was to do that...

[quote name='Eldredpe']Does G4 and IGN have an audience with people that follow games, even?[/QUOTE]
Well, I gotta do something with my IGN Prime membership now...

[quote name='Eldredpe']Does G4 and IGN have an audience with people that follow games, even?

So yes, comments and images like that make me roll my eyes. Because who was taking those people seriously to begin with? Pointing out their irrelevance seems unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

IGN and G4 and all of those guys factor into Metacritic and I see people going 'I was going to buy that game but it had a low metacritic score' all the time.

They don't have to be a well read and well followed or trusted site to have a direct effect on game sales. All they have to do is get Metacritic to recognize them as "professional".

Also note that the professional score is the ONLY one Metacritic number that populates to Steam. So even if most of the users hated a game if the 'professionals' get bought off love it then that is the number that will populate to Steam and that will make the game look like a masterpiece.

Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.

Motoki, welcome back! :)

EDIT: haven't visited the Steam thread lately so don't know how long you've been back, but whatever. :D :)

[quote name='Mooby']I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps (flights, free food/drinks/whatever) -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.

I got a good chuckle the other day when Total Biscuit complained about how low the average was on the Humble THQ Bundle and sarcastically quipped about why developers are less than keen to support the PC market. That from a guy who doesn't even buy the games he plays -- they're all comped to him.[/QUOTE]

I see no reason to continue down this line of discussion.

However, I did want to note that you've used the term "cottage industry" twice today (here and in the Amazon thread), and that I saw it happen.

I noticed Mooby.

I noticed.

[quote name='Motoki']IGN and G4 and all of those guys factor into Metacritic and I see people going 'I was going to buy that game but it had a low metacritic score' all the time.

They don't have to be a well read and well followed or trusted site to have a direct effect on game sales. All they have to do is get Metacritic to recognize them as "professional".

Also note that the professional score is the ONLY one Metacritic number that populates to Steam. So even if most of the users hated a game if the 'professionals' get bought off love it then that is the number that will populate to Steam and that will make the game look like a masterpiece.

Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.[/QUOTE]

That's not a problem with game reviews, it's an issue with aggregates. And I would argue that most AAA games invariably get high aggregate scores because reviewers are wowed by polish and budget, not because they've been paid. I'm all for bashing most game reviewers and 'journalists' for being fairly mediocre and having a herd mentality when it comes to hyped up titles, but I think the notion of large-scale payoffs that are rampant through the industry makes people sound like they're talking about chemtrails or 9/11 conspiracies.

EDIT: And in responding to Motoki I sort of did continue the line of discussion. Oops. Also, to head you off at the pass for the obvious joke, I have indeed been paid by gaming journalists to deflect suspicion away from their lack of ethics on internet forums.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I see no reason to continue down this line of discussion.[/QUOTE]

Not intending to offend anyone. Nor persuade others to agree with my opinion. It's not one I developed just for the sake of being anti-establishment or whatever and, if you're so inclined, you can check out an article here that I largely agree with and points out a number of issues. It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.

However, I did want to note that you've used the term "cottage industry" twice today (here and in the Amazon thread), and that I saw it happen.

I noticed Mooby.

I noticed.
Totally subconscious of me. I guess when a term is floating around in my head it'll get used in multiple instances when I put hand to keyboard. Or... was it subconscious...

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

[quote name='Mooby']Not intending to offend anyone. Nor persuade others to agree with my opinion. It's not one I developed just for the sake of being anti-establishment or whatever and, if you're so inclined, you can check out an article here that I largely agree with and points out a number of issues. It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.

Totally subconscious of me. I guess when a term is floating around in my head it'll get used in multiple instances when I put hand to keyboard. Or... was it subconscious...

im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg
[/QUOTE]

From reading about half of that article so far (I'm going to finish it, but this is the internet and you should never ever read an entire article before stating your opinion about it) I can certainly agree with most, if not all the points that are brought up. But I think that most of the worst offenders aren't who I would consider games journalists (sites like Polygon and RPS, as I stated before) but the massive games enthusiast blogging community that attempts to pass its work off as journalism. Those are the people that get swayed by swag and free flights. When the guys who have been covering games since the mid-90's get offered a free flight to Hawaii, they're just pissed off because you're taking up four days to do what you could have done at their office in San Francisco in an afternoon.

And I only feel comfortable calling the sites that I do examples of journalism because if you take at least sites like Polygon and Giant Bomb (almost exclusively Patrick Klepek's work) they're attempting to do features that require investigation and reporting rather than simply reprinting or responding to PR releases.

[quote name='Mooby']Apples and oranges. Although for what it's worth I recognize my tastes diverge quite a bit from the majority of posters here so I take opinions with a grain of salt.[/QUOTE]
You're telling me.

Part of me wants to buy that Sega pack to legitimize my rom collection but I've paid for these games so many times over the years. Is that Sega pack good in any way?

And Sine Mora is still terrible no matter how many times I try to convince myself to like it. And if you tell me it's because I don't like shumps I will strangle you.

[quote name='RollingSkull']
And Sine Mora is still terrible no matter how many times I try to convince myself to like it. And if you tell me it's because I don't like shumps I will strangle you.[/QUOTE]

You don't like shmups that don't star female anime characters.

You have to wonder how many people are going to buy Earth 2160 as the daily deal when it was just in the Groupees bundle. Or still is, for a matter of fact. Even if it's in the second level...

I always wonder why they time things like that.

[quote name='pantsattack']How awesome is playing Deus Ex on my laptop and couch in front of my new self-installed wood burning stove?

SO AWESOME!
[/QUOTE]

Is that part of a bundle somewhere?

Green Man Gaming perhaps?

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any sales on wood-burning stove. That's a Steam code, though, right?

[quote name='Idiotekque']You have to wonder how many people are going to buy Earth 2160 as the daily deal when it was just in the Groupees bundle. Or still is, for a matter of fact. Even if it's in the second level...

I always wonder why they time things like that.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it helps drive bundle sales? If someone wants Earth 2160 and is then pointed in the direction of the groupees bundles, they are likely to buy it. I imagine it doesn't hurt combined sales, anyway.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Perhaps it helps drive bundle sales? If someone wants Earth 2160 and is then pointed in the direction of the groupees bundles, they are likely to buy it. I imagine it doesn't hurt combined sales, anyway.[/QUOTE]
I really don't know. In one of the Groupees bundles, Kaptain Brawe was included, and then suddenly the publisher said "Woops, we're running a $5 sale on Kaptain Brawe on Steam on the second day of your bundle, so we changed our mind and aren't giving you anymore Steam keys."

It SEEMS like having the game in a bundle is going to hurt any sales on Steam. And I can imagine the publisher is getting a larger cut from a Steam sale rather than a Groupees sale. While one has a part of the money going to Steam, the other has part of the money going to Groupees, charity, and probably Steam as well if it's a Steam key.

But I'm clueless to business side of it. Just seems odd.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Is that part of a bundle somewhere?

Green Man Gaming perhaps?

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any sales on wood-burning stove. That's a Steam code, though, right?[/QUOTE]

Definitely not on sale, but it was build-my-own-bundle.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']i bit on afterfall inasanity. i'll post up impressions later lol[/QUOTE]

please do, very interested in that game

Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was. Double Fine's Autonomous project brought this to mind.

[quote name='pantsattack']Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was.[/QUOTE]

Captain Power, I believe.

[quote name='Motoki']
IGN and G4 and all of those guys factor into Metacritic and I see people going 'I was going to buy that game but it had a low metacritic score' all the time.

Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.[/QUOTE]

Diablo 3 is better example, though the gap has closed, 88 to 3.8. DA2 is 82 to 4.2. Disparity of 10% is often interesting.

I'm still puzzled (and full of nerd-rage) over the fact that Torchlight 2 hasn't been listed in the "Current PC Games" column on the right side while they list less significant "indie" games, e.g. Krater or Tiny & Big.

I probably find metacritic more useful than most, but it's probably because of my reading skillz. Read a high, mid, and low rated review to get a bigger picture, so the same for a few user comments. I also tend to like to read reviews on theguardian.co.uk or reghardware.com (part of theregister.com) to get a review outside the "games journalism industrial complex."

[quote name='asheskitty']Diablo 3 is better example, though the gap has closed, 88 to 3.8. DA2 is 82 to 4.2. Disparity of 10% is often interesting.

I'm still puzzled (and full of nerd-rage) over the fact that Torchlight 2 hasn't been listed in the "Current PC Games" column on the right side while they list less significant "indie" games, e.g. Krater or Tiny & Big.

I probably find metacritic more useful than most, but it's probably because of my reading skillz. Read a high, mid, and low rated review to get a bigger picture, so the same for a few user comments. I also tend to like to read reviews on theguardian.co.uk or reghardware.com (part of theregister.com) to get a review outside the "games journalism industrial complex."[/QUOTE]

I honestly think that Diablo 3 is a worse example because a large portion of the audience wasn't complaining about gameplay, but rather down-rating massively based on DRM and the presence of the RMAH. Neither of which I honestly give a shit about.

I understand that the game was also disappointing for many based on its gameplay, but the user score wouldn't have been NEARLY that low had it been based on reasonable people giving scores that properly reflected their feelings of the game (guessing it would have been in the 5-7 range then) rather than knee-jerk 0-point ratings based on some of Blizzard's dumb moves surrounding it.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I honestly think that Diablo 3 is a worse example because a large portion of the audience wasn't complaining about gameplay, but rather down-rating massively based on DRM and the presence of the RMAH. Neither of which I honestly give a shit about.

I understand that the game was also disappointing for many based on its gameplay, but the user score wouldn't have been NEARLY that low had it been based on reasonable people giving scores that properly reflected their feelings of the game (guessing it would have been in the 5-7 range then) rather than knee-jerk 0-point ratings based on some of Blizzard's dumb moves surrounding it.[/QUOTE]

In terms of actual opinion, I agree. I was just highlighting point-split. Actually early bulk of user downrating was due to fucking ridiculous server download that people couldn't play during. It's not like they'd have gained any experience with that in 7.5 years of running WoW servers. The RMAH didn't go live for over a month, iirc.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
That's not a problem with game reviews, it's an issue with aggregates. [/QUOTE]

But the aggregates are based on reviews and so many sites, especially Steam since they don't allow user reviews period, are leaning way too heavily on Metacritic. As far as I am concerned it's still a problem with the reviews and also in which ones metacritics deems worthy and 'professional'.

Personally, I think in this day and age with as networked and connected as we are the idea of a 'professional' review when it comes to games seems very silly to me. I don't think those people's opinion's should carry any more weight than anyone else's, especially since I find many of them to be ill informed and they also never bother to revisit when game updates are done.

[quote name='asheskitty']Diablo 3 is better example, though the gap has closed, 88 to 3.8. DA2 is 82 to 4.2. Disparity of 10% is often interesting.

I probably find metacritic more useful than most, but it's probably because of my reading skillz. Read a high, mid, and low rated review to get a bigger picture, so the same for a few user comments. I also tend to like to read reviews on theguardian.co.uk or reghardware.com (part of theregister.com) to get a review outside the "games journalism industrial complex."[/QUOTE]

I do that too but most people don't. They don't even venture off the Steam page. They just go 'Oh low metacritic number?' PASS or 'Oh high metacritic number?' BUY.

*Edit: Replied before I saw Eldredpe's post; we essentially said the same thing.

But really on the D3 most of that I think is just a huge backlash on the always online DRM. If you took that piece of it out I think the user reviews would be MUCH higher. The game itself is not terrible.

Dragon Age 2 on the other hand, most of that was a backlash about the game itself both in that it was nothing like the original as you might expect a sequel to be, and simply on it's own shortcomings which were many.

[quote name='pantsattack']Random question: Does anyone remember a TV show from maybe around 1990? It was sci-fi, good guys bad guys stuff, robots and small space ships (think X-wing). The main hook though was characters and various enemy turrets had metallic iridescent panels on them that you could shoot as the show played. So if you had the toy of the space fighter it doubled as a pistol and when you took enough shots from enemies on TV (!) it would eject your pilot.

It was a pretty cool concept and I'd love to know what it was. Double Fine's Autonomous project brought this to mind.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness, reading this post left me flabbergasted; This toy (and corresponding video tapes and some TV shows) occupied my mind incessantly for a few months, yet I had completely forgotten about it until you brought it up! Haha, it was such a neat concept, I had never experienced anyone trying to make "interactive videos" in quite the same way as Captain Power. Thanks so much for reminding me of this :)

...goes to eBay to find some old Captain Power toys before the wife finds out...

I'm tired and my brain hurts so I'm not doing any fancy tricks just a spoiler tag

Greed Corp

*Edit: got Greeded

[quote name='Motoki']I'm tired and my brain hurts so I'm not doing any fancy tricks just a spoiler tag

Greed Corp

A5S22-8TQEA-JPS58-DYJW6-QCNBZ

I have a few more but I'll spread them out so one person doesn't grab them all.[/QUOTE]

Yuck, it got lurked. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back