The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V5! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

This is a Wiki post. Please read this
We appreciate you helping keep this thread up to date. The sales change virtually every day so no one person has the time to update them all. If you notice a game is no longer on sale, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see a game is on sale, add it to the list. Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.
for instructions on updating the thread.

Steam Games and DLC on Sale - Updated 12/16

Daily Deal(s)

Midweek Madness Deal(s) Weekend Deal(s)

Other Deals

Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 9/23

Amazon
  • Amazon - Preorders

• Amazon - Current Deals

GamersGate

Greenman Gaming

Preorder Deals - Updated 10/28
Group Buys - Updated 8/14

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff - Updated 4/3

There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card.
The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?

All retail Valve games and a number of third-party games can be registered to your Steam account. All of the following games can be registered through Steam:
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • AI War CD Keys in various formats
  • Aliens vs. Predator (2010 Release) CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Alpha Prime CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Audiosurf CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • BRINK CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is not accepted on Steam
  • Cities in Motion CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Civilization V CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Cricket Revolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dark Messiah CD Keys may also have been printed incorrectly, please see the Dark Messiah article
  • Darksiders CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: The number 2 and letter Z may look very similar.
  • Dawn of War II CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dawn of War II - Retribution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Defense Grid CD Keys in this format (Direct2Drive only): 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Duke Nukem Forever CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Dungeons and Dragons: Daggerdale in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Empire: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-DDEFGH3-IJK4L-MNOPQ-RST56
  • F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • F.E.A.R. 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Fallout: New Vegas CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2010 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2CD3FGH456I7JK8LMNOP9Q
  • Football Manager 2011 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Front Mission Evolved CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Global Agenda CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Keys purchased directly from the Global Agenda website cannot be registered on Steam.
  • GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • GTR Evolution CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Homefront CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • Humble Indie Bundle in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 2 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Humble Indie Bundle 3 in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Just Cause 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: Please input all O's and 0's as Q's for Just Cause 2
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Killing Floor CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lara Croft Guardian of Light CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Last Remnant CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lionheart: Kings' Crusade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition CD Keys are not accepted on Steam
  • Mafia 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Magicka CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Metro 2033 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • MLB Front Office Manager CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: Warband CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7
  • NBA 2K9 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Napoleon: Total War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Order of War CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
  • R.U.S.E. CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Note: R.U.S.E. keys from Ubisoft's Digital River service are not accepted on Steam
  • RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • RACE 07 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Railworks CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Rogue Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Saint's Row 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Serious Sam HD CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Shattered Horizon CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Ship Simulator Extremes CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Silent Hill Homecoming CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Sniper: Ghost Warrior CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Space Trader CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Speedball 2 - Tournament in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Star Trek: D-A-C CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • STCC - The Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Super Meat Boy CD keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Supreme Commander 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Torchlight CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Note: Only keys purchased directly from Runic Games or Perfect World prior to May 19th, 2010 can be registered on Steam.
  • Total War: SHOGUN 2 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Unreal Tournament 3 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-3FGH-456I-K8LM
  • Velvet Assassin CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings in this format: AB-1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM
  • Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009 CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
  • X3: Terran Conflict CD Keys in this format: 1ABC-D3FG-4567-JK8L
  • Zeno Clash CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
Opposing Force CD-keys cannot be registered through Steam. Opposing Force was included in a retail Half-Life package. The Half-Life CD-key included in the package will unlock all of the games in that package, including Opposing Force.
Note: Only the retail games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other retail games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

The Ball (bought @D2D and tested by voken)
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon and tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']I'm playing from the DVD version of the PC release of NFS:U2. I understand there is/was a 2-CD release.[/QUOTE]

Wish I had either so I could try out those mods lol. Looks sick

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Guys, I think I have a problem. I apparently bought Groupees Be Mine 6, and I have no recollection of having done so. :whee:[/QUOTE]

So... what's the problem?

[quote name='wilflare']still not sure whether to bite on FTL.[/QUOTE]

It's a good game it all depends if you're willing to wait another few months for a lower price. At the very least I can't imagine it not being on sale again in about two weeks for the Winter Sale and possibly at a bigger discount. At worst, same discount.

[quote name='Mooby']It's a good game it all depends if you're willing to wait another few months for a lower price. At the very least I can't imagine it not being on sale again in about two weeks for the Winter Sale and possibly at a bigger discount. At worst, same discount.[/QUOTE]

It'll be in a bundle. Stand fast!

[quote name='Drabelincoln']It'll be in a bundle. Stand fast![/QUOTE]

Everything gets cheaper.

I'm really glad that I've had this game for the last two months and put 20+ hours into it here and there. It's been fun talking about the crazy stuff that happens with others who are sharing the experience.

Indeed. It's just a simple matter of time. All people have to ask themselves is: Do I really want to play this game now at the expense of ~$5ish (or whatever the relative price differential will be). It looks like a fun game to me but I can wait. There are about twenty or so games on my Steam wish list that I just have there for 'tracking' purposes such that I'll know to grab a given indie bundle if it has more than one of those games.

The publisher packs don't always stay around between the sales (not that they'd be worth buying non discounted). I'm sure some form of ID pack will be available as the Winter sale has always had them. That said it might not be the 'Quake Con' style pack you're looking for (includes all Bethesda titles, too).

I think Valve has taken a different approach on the publisher packs. Each pack is now around that $50 mark, and Valve custom picks what games to put in there. At least that is the way it was during the summer sale, as opposed to the 2011 winter sale. So a publisher pack from the summer sale might never exist again, as the games may get shuffled a bit. I kind of wish they did it like they have been doing at Amazon, and creating themed packs.

The id pack is a bit of an anomaly in that id was acquired by Bethesda/ZeniMax in the time between when the pack first became available on Steam and now. Also, the publisher, in this case, removed DOOM 3 from Steam all-together before eventually bringing it back due to fans bitching.

My main point being that that particular pack being taken-down/put-back-up and just generally influx makes sense in context of where id was versus where they are now.

[quote name='travathian']I think Valve has taken a different approach on the publisher packs. Each pack is now around that $50 mark, and Valve custom picks what games to put in there. At least that is the way it was during the summer sale, as opposed to the 2011 winter sale. So a publisher pack from the summer sale might never exist again, as the games may get shuffled a bit. I kind of wish they did it like they have been doing at Amazon, and creating themed packs.[/QUOTE]

It does seem like the way to do it, moving forward. Publisher packs have never been appealing to me because I almost always own half or more of the games included. But a nice bundle of newer games that haven't been on sale 30-40 times already is much more likely to get my attention and the attention of Steam buyers who have already been through three years of crazy sales.

[quote name='travathian']I think Valve has taken a different approach on the publisher packs. Each pack is now around that $50 mark, and Valve custom picks what games to put in there. At least that is the way it was during the summer sale, as opposed to the 2011 winter sale. So a publisher pack from the summer sale might never exist again, as the games may get shuffled a bit. I kind of wish they did it like they have been doing at Amazon, and creating themed packs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah they are suckier now. Last year when I first started getting into Steam I bought a few and they were totally comprehensive. I mean the Square Eidos one even came with Flora's Fruit Farm. :p

Now they do a sort of 'best of' and usually don't come with DLC, at least if last summer's offerings were any indication.

[quote name='Eldredpe']It does seem like the way to do it, moving forward. Publisher packs have never been appealing to me because I almost always own half or more of the games included. But a nice bundle of newer games that haven't been on sale 30-40 times already is much more likely to get my attention and the attention of Steam buyers who have already been through three years of crazy sales.[/QUOTE]
Be better if they just didn't make you take the loss on any games you already own. I'd be a lot more inclined to purchase Steam bundles if I actually got everything in the package. Even if I just randomly give it away, I paid for it, it's mine so give me the damn thing.

Well another alternative is to give you a discount on the pack for titles in the pack you already own on steam. The mechanism to do this is already in place and used occasionally. (e.g. discount on Zombie Driver HD if you already on Zombie Driver, or $5 off game X if you own game Y)

Honestly only the old *everything* publisher packs appealed to me. Another thought would be a publisher pack of older titles (that aren't selling much on their own anymore) that you might not buy a-la-carte.

I told those kids to git off mah lawn, but they dint lissen, so I hadta fill their cabooses with buckshot.

Those "achey varmints."

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Can anyone recommended me a Xenoblad Chronicles RPG for steam preferably with achievements? How awesome would Xenoblade with steam with full achievements be? Too awesome.[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls: PTD.

Thoughts.

Karateka grew on me. It's simple as hell but the production values are top notch. There's enough game here to bring you back multiple times to try for the True Love ending. Mechner must have sprinkled magic fairy dust on this game because I SHOULD NOT have liked such a brazenly simple game. That said, once you get the hang of it, you will only stand even the slightest chance of dying at the last three or four fights. So that's 25 minutes of boring pointless junk between you and the only challenge if you are retrying over and over for the True Love ending. Reminds me of shumps, except shumps are generally kind of exciting. When you skid to the stop, a trail of your own blood a half mile back, weakly looking up only to get curb stomped by Yuyuko mere inches from the finish line, you at least had a good time. I recommend Karateka at 50% off and just youtube the endings you don't have the patience to get. Then go back and play Punchout and Rage of the Gladiators, both on Wii.

Saints Row 3, as much as I hate it and as terrible a sequel as it is from SR2, I still pull it back out for mindless shooting action now and then. RFA and SR3 were pretty good at getting the basic shooting down.

Air Buccaneers. A laggy mess. Why did I buy this? The only thing they have done since the UT2k4 mod is add class based XP because that is TOTALLY the best thing about MP games hurr.

Hitman Absolution. It picks up a lot after that dreadful Chicago escape. The stealth isn't as good as it really wishes it were but there is a lot of fun to be had. That said, I don't see myself playing Contracts mode in the long haul because the trial and error reloads of the main game were bad enough. I don't need to see the trial and error reloads of people who exploited the AI for one lucky superkill

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I can report that it's between Sonic Adventure DX and Jet Set Radio, in terms of quality. Like Sonic Adventure DX, Space Channel 5 Part 2 only has keyboard prompts (My 360 gamepad seems to be mapped intuitively, however.) and selecting Full Screen in the Config tool results in a window. (Changing the FULL_SCREEN setting in the "config.ini" file makes no difference.) However, like Jet Set Radio, Widescreen is supported.

Overall, if it's the only way one can play Space Channel 5 Part 2, then it could be worse.[/QUOTE]
For Sonic Adventure DX, I had to go into My Documents/SEGA/Sonic Adventure DX/config.ini and change it there (fullscreen=0 to fullscreen=1). I'd imagine the same is true of Space Channel 5 Part 2, since when I changed the config.ini for SADX in its root folder, nothing happened as well.

[quote name='asheskitty']Whee! Despite my recent purchases, what I am I play atm? NFS: Underground 2. With widescreen fixes (running at 1920x1200), a new (2011) texture pack, and ENB, *sweet*. It's a lovely step up from the NFS:U2 I played the fuck outta on PS2.[/quote]
Oh damn, I'm going to have to lurk eBay for that.

Also, I laughed at your new signature, lol.

[quote name='The End']Ahhhh. My apologies. And here I thought I was being Mr. Helpful. Didn't see that Solid Snake Eyes had already posted it.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure you were helpful to the people who missed Snake Eye's post. :)

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Can anyone recommended me a Xenoblad Chronicles RPG for steam preferably with achievements? How awesome would Xenoblade with steam with full achievements be? Too awesome.[/QUOTE]

Closest thing is probably the Last Remnant but it's kind of meh and not really as good as Xenoblade.

If you can live with seriously retro, the old Genesis Phantasy Stars and Shining Force games are on Steam. You just missed a cheap sale for all of them plus a whole bunch of other Genesis games though.

Other than that, there's not a huge amount of JRPGs on Steam. The Ys games are decent but are more action oriented and also retro. There's Dark Souls but that's pseudo Western style and again more action oriented.

Some of the Winter Wolves stuff is decent if you can live with Desura. I like planet Stronghold and people seem to like Loren the Amazon Princess but I haven't tried it yet.

I'd love Xenoblade or another game like it on the PC but the Japanese aren't really big on the PC. You could always make a Steam shortcut to Dolphin. :p

Reccetear: An Item Shop's Tale is a really good, unique JRPG on Steam. I'm really picky about my JRPGs, and Reccetear immediately grabbed me and kept me playing. Managing an item shop + dungeon spelunking is a really addictive combination.

Plus, it should only be $5 during the Steam sale; perhaps in a cheap bundle with Chantelise (supposed to be pretty good, just extremely hard) and Fortune Summoners. Both of those are JRPGs as well, but I can't comment on them since I haven't played either.

Been playing some more Far Cry 3. I don't know what it is. It's not a bad game, it's good. Something about it though just isn't gripping me. I mean I like the game but it just feels like I done it all before. I might just put it in the backlog for later.

Also bought FTL.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Also bought FTL.[/QUOTE]

This is a game I'm wanting to get now. When it first came out, I was like "WTF, this is supposed to be fun?". But having seen some gameplay youtube videos, I REALLY want to try it out for myself now. The winter Steam sale can't come soon enough.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I can't pull myself away from Fallen Enchantress. I really like this game, one more turn DAMN YOU![/QUOTE]

I'd like to play this. Did you get a deal on it? If so, could you pointer me, I'd love to pick it up.

Thanks for the recommends for Xenoblade like on Steam btw. I appreciate it and will check them out. I apologize as I deeply offended some with my requirement of achievements. Yes, I wish I didn't want them either. But at the same time they fulfill some sick inner psyche thing of mine. I can't help it. (HELP ME)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fignutz32']I wonder how much the sprite swap dlc will be.[/QUOTE]

That was a random first quote you put lol.

Fluxy - yup believe so

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I'd like to play this. Did you get a deal on it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, got it for like $13 I think when it was a daily deal during the Autumn Sale (bought from a person on here). Frankly though, I wouldn't even feel bad paying $20 for it that it was on sale for.

Last night I was like hmm, I'll play Far Cry 3 after playing FE for a short bit to finish expanding to this one spot, shouldn't be longer then an hour. Look at the clock, 5 hours went back. Start bitching at myself and say I'll fire FC3 up in a minute soon as I finish these next 2-3 turns to finish this. Look at the clock again, another 3 hours have gone by and this time it is like 3am so i say screw it and go to bed.

Sigh.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Reccetear: An Item Shop's Tale is a really good, unique JRPG on Steam. I'm really picky about my JRPGs, and Reccetear immediately grabbed me and kept me playing. Managing an item shop + dungeon spelunking is a really addictive combination.

Plus, it should only be $5 during the Steam sale; perhaps in a cheap bundle with Chantelise (supposed to be pretty good, just extremely hard) and Fortune Summoners. Both of those are JRPGs as well, but I can't comment on them since I haven't played either.[/QUOTE]

Reccetear is a lot of fun and has some fairly amusing writing. It seems like the company that has been doing all those localizations puts a lot of love into their work.

I really need to go back and finish the story mode off. Nearly at the end.

There's also apparently a pretty full featured endless mode with all sorts of items and things to sell/play around with. I think you could theoretically pour a hundred hours into this.

I don't think you would want to, though.

[quote name='Fluxy']I WANT THIS WTFH!!! and its free?!!?!?![/QUOTE]

Yes it's free. It'd be pretty messed up if Capcom charged for it when it's a fan made game.

I forgot about Recettear. I like that game though I do think moreso for the shopkeeper part than the RPG part.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']I'd like to play this. Did you get a deal on it? If so, could you pointer me, I'd love to pick it up.

Thanks for the recommends for Xenoblade like on Steam btw. I appreciate it and will check them out. I apologize as I deeply offended some with my requirement of achievements. Yes, I wish I didn't want them either. But at the same time they fulfill some sick inner psyche thing of mine. I can't help it. (HELP ME)[/QUOTE]

This close to the big winter sale definitely wait for that though I second the recommendation on Fallen Enchantress if you like turn based strategy games. It's really well done and completely newb friendly. Even if you aren't familiar with that sort of game they've got a really good tutorial that walks you through everything and even has videos.

Don't worry about the achievement thing. Some people get curmudgeonly about certain things around here but they don't bite...usually.

I'm not so much an achievement hound myself but I do enjoy some of the more humorous ones. Ys has some good ones in that department like "Consult a FAQ already!" achievement you get if you die 10x to the same boss. I laughed when I got that one.

Actually, that's the most common achievement for that game by far so I guess I am good company of people that suck at the bosses sometimes.

http://www.giantbomb.com/ys-the-oath-in-felghana/61-839/achievements/

I also found it interesting that 1/3 of people playing it started on very easy, even if the achievement totally makes you feel lame for doing so. :lol:

Really, I can't see how you could beat Ys Oath in Felghana WITHOUT getting that "Consult a FAQ Already!" cheevo. The bosses are brutally unforgiving and you have to suck down that many deaths to learn the patterns. Especially the crystal asshole and "I'd be a giant dicklicker too if my name were" Chester 2. Even more so if you get to the second boss without that charge shot gemstone.

RE: Recettear's endless mode, you can collect one of everything in the game and do crafting if you're a giant nerd but you might have the end goal of beating all the dungeons and beating both the game's final bosses and then posting all those cutscenes on youtube so I don't have to go through that tedium myself. I know Griff has some giant world-ending finale and there's one after that involving you saving Alouette's fairy and Tear or something

I played Cargo Commander today.

It's ok. Didn't grab me, though. I was afraid that it would end up being time-based, and while there isn't a visible counter, it does work out that way. I'll give it another go, maybe play with randomized levels a bit.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Really, I can't see how you could beat Ys Oath in Felghana WITHOUT getting that "Consult a FAQ Already!" cheevo. The bosses are brutally unforgiving and you have to suck down that many deaths to learn the patterns. Especially the crystal asshole and "I'd be a giant dicklicker too if my name were" Chester 2. Even more so if you get to the second boss without that charge shot gemstone.
[/QUOTE]

With any of the Ys games you can generally get past any boss blindfolded if you overlevel.

Of course the two things wrong with that scenario are that it catches up with you in the end and that it makes the game tedious and really grindy.

That said, I have little patience for getting my ass handed to me over and over so I generally tend to try a few times and then overlevel if I can't get it on the second or third try.

[quote name='DPsycho']I was afraid that it would end up being time-based, and while there isn't a visible counter, it does work out that way.[/QUOTE]

Journey mode (Unlocked relatively early on) should remove the timed element of the wormholes opening, if you want a more relaxed exploration feel for the game.

[quote name='Motoki']With any of the Ys games you can generally get past any boss blindfolded if you overlevel.

Of course the two things wrong with that scenario are that it catches up with you in the end and that it makes the game tedious and really grindy.

That said, I have little patience for getting my ass handed to me over and over so I generally tend to try a few times and then overlevel if I can't get it on the second or third try.[/QUOTE]
Oath seemed pretty well designed to me; I never had to grind, and in fact it seemed like an inefficient strategy, since by the time I was at a boss it would take forever to make significant progress through grinding. I'd die 20 or more times on a few bosses, but it was the right level of challenge on medium.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Been playing some more Far Cry 3. I don't know what it is. It's not a bad game, it's good. Something about it though just isn't gripping me. I mean I like the game but it just feels like I done it all before. I might just put it in the backlog for later.[/QUOTE]
I'm enjoying it and will keep playing but I know what you mean. I think part of it is that it doesn't take long to "see it all". You acquire weapons pretty quickly, it doesn't take long to be exposed to the local fauna and most of the locations look generally the same.

I know it expands from there (main mission has some varying game play & scenery and I've gotten a couple new signature weapons) but I think the initial ramp-up is pretty swift and it plateaus from there.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Reccetear: An Item Shop's Tale is a really good, unique JRPG on Steam. I'm really picky about my JRPGs, and Reccetear immediately grabbed me and kept me playing. Managing an item shop + dungeon spelunking is a really addictive combination.

Plus, it should only be $5 during the Steam sale; perhaps in a cheap bundle with Chantelise (supposed to be pretty good, just extremely hard) and Fortune Summoners. Both of those are JRPGs as well, but I can't comment on them since I haven't played either.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the game has been on my wishlist for awhile. About the only one that I can name off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back