The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how your first post back is a video link. :rofl:

lol nah it's a pic - second one is a vid

Love your new avatar of Zack Galafianakis as Jesus. I can't think of anything more fitting. :lol:
That's Jim Joe:

21fe0a15-7767-4c03-95c0-b68294be86d1_zps7d43f736.jpg

SteamOS

As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the
environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself.
SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen.
It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Important bit:

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
Well that's...something. I guess it could be cool if you can't easily connect your PC to your TV and wanted to use something like a laptop/netbook (assuming it's possible) to stream your desktop. I'm still not sure how well a linux based console like box is going to do with the current selection of games that support it is going to do, but maybe that could change if big name publishers decide to get behind it (EA is of course out of the question for now, Ubisoft probably the same; Activision and SquareEnix I could see as a maybe, given the right incentive).

I, for one, am moderately excited to see how this whole SteamOS streaming thing works. While it's not a huge hassle to unplug my machine and move it from my office to my living room to play games, it would be so much easier to not have to move it at all.

Just a few of the questions I have ATM:

What specs would a client machine need to have to make this work?

Can any current system pull it off, or will we need a proprietary Steam Box?

How fast does my home network need to be for flawless streaming?

To me, these are the most important statements:

"Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014."  - Woot! No more wasting my life fighting Wine, a fantastic achievement though it is!

"SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers." - This means I can use my existing Linux DVR/game box behind my TV, hopefully without having to get rid of XBMC!

"Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want." - See second point above.

This is as good as I had hoped for.

Other than streaming games, I am not sure how the SteamOS is going to fare against the Android/Apple TV in terms of music and video streaming.

I, for one, am moderately excited to see how this whole SteamOS streaming thing works. While it's not a huge hassle to unplug my machine and move it from my office to my living room to play games, it would be so much easier to not have to move it at all.

Just a few of the questions I have ATM:

What specs would a client machine need to have to make this work?

Can any current system pull it off, or will we need a proprietary Steam Box?

How fast does my home network need to be for flawless streaming?
Take a look at Nvidia Shield. It does the same thing, so the requirements should be similar.

Capitalizing atm indicates Automatische Teller Machine.

I guess the King's Bounty, Night of the Rabbit, Hacker Evolution, and Syberia games are weekly sales....

All you guys saying "What's to stop me plugging my PC into my TV?" are so cute.

"Wife, I'm thinking of moving my PC downstairs and taking over the living room telly".
"No you're not dear."
"Ok honey."

"Wife, I'm thinking of moving my PC downstairs and taking over the living room telly".
"No you're not dear."
"Ok honey."
Eh, a HTPC case looks good in a living room and a machine to play music and video is an asset.

What I'm seeing here is Valve preparing for the possibility of Microsoft shutting Steam (and others) out of some future version of Windows. Or Microsoft discontinuing Windows entirely.

What I'm seeing here is Valve preparing for the possibility of Microsoft shutting Steam (and others) out of some future version of Windows. Or Microsoft discontinuing Windows entirely.
Agreed. Or, just as likely, MS continuing to shoot themselves in the foot and people eventually moving away from Windows alltogether.

Eh, a HTPC case looks good in a living room and a machine to play music and video is an asset.

Agreed. Or, just as likely, MS continuing to shoot themselves in the foot and people eventually moving away from Windows alltogether.
i don't see either of these things happening. M$ isn't about to ditch Windows. why would they? and people leave Windows? really? why? Linux is too "complicated" (their word, not mine) for the average PC user and MAC is too expensive. people have to have a reason (we've had these for a while) to leave AND incentives (not too many of these out there) to do so.

i would like to see Valve use SteamOS (or whatever people want to call it) to compete with AppleTV/Roku players for my Netflix/Amazon streaming...and i can be lazier than normal and not bring my laptop/PC to my TV to play "Big Picture mode"? sign me up!

i don't see either of these things happening. M$ isn't about to ditch Windows. why would they? and people leave Windows? really? why? Linux is too "complicated" (their word, not mine) for the average PC user and MAC is too expensive. people have to have a reason (we've had these for a while) to leave AND incentives (not too many of these out there) to do so.
People are already leaving Windows (which, in many ways, is just as complicated as Linux - it's just that people are used to it). Regular users are migrating to mobile platforms and other simpler appliances - they are not buying PCs like they used to. MS isn't going to ditch Windows, but the combination of them closing up Windows (i.e. with Metro or whatever it's called these days) with the relative failure of their mobile platform means that, unless they react quickly, they will eventually become irrelevant. As an old Unix guy, I couldn't be happier about it (not that I have any love for Apple or even Android).

I'd be all over RIPD and Rabbitnight if they were 75% off :(

I think I'm always for a free OS and if they integrate everything they say they will I could see finally building and HTPC myself. The biggest drawback for me right now is the lack of tiny, cool looking cases that can fit powerful components and I don't know if I see that changing.

i don't see either of these things happening. M$ isn't about to ditch Windows. why would they? and people leave Windows? really? why?
Leave now? Perhaps not. But what about when Windows is a subscription service ($99 for a 1 year license) that's completely closed off to non-MS-store "apps?"

I think I'm always for a free OS and if they integrate everything they say they will I could see finally building and HTPC myself. The biggest drawback for me right now is the lack of tiny, cool looking cases that can fit powerful components and I don't know if I see that changing.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=395

Not exactly tiny, but small enough to fit nicely into a small entertainment center.

People are already leaving Windows (which, in many ways, is just as complicated as Linux - it's just that people are used to it). Regular users are migrating to mobile platforms and other simpler appliances - they are not buying PCs like they used to. MS isn't going to ditch Windows, but the combination of them closing up Windows (i.e. with Metro or whatever it's called these days) with the relative failure of their mobile platform means that, unless they react quickly, they will eventually become irrelevant. As an old Unix guy, I couldn't be happier about it (not that I have any love for Apple or even Android).
The business PC market is waving at your ridiculous argument. Short of specialty computers like PoS terminals and such, Windows totally dominates the business desktop market. Which means they will keep making new versions, and those new versions will still be on the computers that most gamers use to play games. The number of people that roll their own PC and have a choice of OS is much, much smaller than you think.

Easy there, cowboy... Didn't you just get get a gag order for posting this kind of thing?

I honestly don't know.

SteamOS is a stupid name. What about Gaming Linux and Distribution Over Steam?

How many stealth Likes did you earn for this?

What's wrong with posting about trusted spiritual advisors®

All I know is I ain't doin' shit without Jim Joe.

"No you're not dear."
"Ok honey."
✳(Reminder: The USA is the center of the universe)

Is that how y'all get down across the pond?✳ Heave her austere ass in said pond and dredge-up one who negotiates.

Preferably the black Spice Girl.

Not exactly tiny, but small enough to fit nicely into a small entertainment center.
This is the main problem with all HTPCs - if it's small enough to run cool & quiet and look cool, you can never put in enough horsepower to run demanding games. If you want to play Far Fry 3 or Tomb Hairier on the TV at max PC settings, you either need to put up with a big loud rig sitting next to your TV, or stream it (and Steam will now give you that option, though it remains to be seen how much the latency will affect action games).

When I built my HTPC a few years back, I sort of compromised and got a black box slightly bigger than a shoebox (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147131). I tried to find relatively low-power and quiet components & fans that could still play low-end games (though it was mostly meant for my music, film, and picture collections), but it's always a tradeoff.

Hey, awesome deals in the OP! I love Steam, and I love coming here to discuss deals on Steam games.

With that out of the way, hello everybody. Not really feeling it here. Had a chat with some people, silence orders came down from the top. Whether that was a case of "Yeah, whatever, silence them I guess." or a calculated decision, I don't know. All I know is that community rules have never stated posting pictures now and then and some "off-topic" posts as silenceable offenses. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers, I just think those should be added to that page so there's no further confusion.

Not here to argue rules or against the mods (and Cheapy), in any case. I ain't the boss, I'm just cog in the machine. Just wanted to say my spirit is a little bit crushed. I love this place and respect the fuckoutta Cheapy for creating this awesome community, but I'd rather not be paranoid about everything I say or do. That's why I come out of the real world to the internet. I probably won't be very active here at this point.

To all you awesome CAGs and CAGettes: [customspoiler=]
tumblr_lyucdlEFpz1r099cco1_500.gif
[/customspoiler]

To some other people: [customspoiler=]
tumblr_m300p7KiHK1r33r0fo1_500.gif
[/customspoiler]

Peace.

The business PC market is waving at your ridiculous argument. Short of specialty computers like PoS terminals and such, Windows totally dominates the business desktop market. Which means they will keep making new versions, and those new versions will still be on the computers that most gamers use to play games. The number of people that roll their own PC and have a choice of OS is much, much smaller than you think.
Well, at least one person has perspective. I'd guess Windows runs on 80%+ of business workstations (totally pulled that out of my ass) and that isn't going to change. I work in a health care organization and it would basically be impossible to migrate away from Windows at this point - subscription? Sign us up.

Also Spectraball is on my wishlist. Seems neat.

There are a lot of eyebrows being raised in here today.

Once again, I think Valve may have bitten off more than they can chew with this announcement. I guess they had to rip the band-aid off at some point. This seems to be the sticking point, as most people I've seen reacting to the announcement say "What is an OS?"

This particular piece seems to have tripped up the uneducated:

Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
"How does it go straight to my TV?? Will I need to buy a new antenna? Do I need a "Smart TV"? They say this SteamOS is free - so what kind of hardware will it have?"*

* These are actual questions I've been asked or seen asked today about SteamOS

There are a lot of eyebrows being raised in here today.

Once again, I think Valve may have bitten off more than they can chew with this announcement. I guess they had to rip the band-aid off at some point. This seems to be the sticking point, as most people I've seen reacting to the announcement say "What is an OS?"

This particular piece seems to have tripped up the uneducated:

"How does it go straight to my TV?? Will I need to buy a new antenna? They say this SteamOS is free - so what kind of hardware will it have?"*

* These are actual questions I've been asked or seen asked today about SteamOS
Will we need to buy a SteamTV? ;)

Hey, awesome deals in the OP! I love Steam, and I love coming here to discuss deals on Steam games.

With that out of the way, hello everybody. Not really feeling it here. Had a chat with some people, silence orders came down from the top. Whether that was a case of "Yeah, whatever, silence them I guess." or a calculated decision, I don't know. All I know is that community rules have never stated posting pictures now and then and some "off-topic" posts as silenceable offenses. I'm not trying to rustle any feathers, I just think those should be added to that page so there's no further confusion.

Not here to argue rules or against the mods (and Cheapy), in any case. I ain't the boss, I'm just cog in the machine. Just wanted to say my spirit is a little bit crushed. I love this place and respect the fuckoutta Cheapy for creating this awesome community, but I'd rather not be paranoid about everything I say or do. That's why I come out of the real world to the internet. I probably won't be very active here at this point.

To all you awesome CAGs and CAGettes: [customspoiler=]
tumblr_lyucdlEFpz1r099cco1_500.gif
[/customspoiler]

To some other people: [customspoiler=]
tumblr_m300p7KiHK1r33r0fo1_500.gif
[/customspoiler]

Peace.
It's a shame you can't stay, you were the one person that made me want to join CAG and partake in the steam thread. Just make sure to post one pic a week ^_~ hopefully things'll return to be a little more similar to the early steam summer 2013 sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back