The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
These button things are like a secret society to me since they don't work on mobile. I'm guessing it's for the best in most instances.
So, the buttons are like The Secret World to you? ;) :D

EDIT:

[customspoiler=Still prefer the "original"...]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afnr_lZP-Y[/customspoiler]
Oh - so that's where the sample's from!

Never seen the movie.

"Now they droppin' that yellin', it's a tad bit late.

Nero5iS and MysterD had to Regulate."

Sorry, I know - I don't sing it quite like Nate Dogg (RIP). ;)

All in all, I had a thousand times more fun with EFLC than I did with GTA4. But Saints Row 3 is still the most fun you can have in an open world game (haven't played 4 yet).
So here's my question: should I even bother with GTA IV if I haven't played any of it yet, or should I just skip it and get the expansions? You aren't the first person I've seen that liked the DLC more than the base game, so I'm beginning to think I should just snag it when it's cheap now it's standalone.

Just got an android smartphone yesterday. Spent a while this morning combining all my Humble Bundle purchases under one account, and then downloading a few games onto my device. Canabalt HD is pretty good, but I like endless runners.
If you haven't already, definitely download the Amazon App Store. Yes it's a slow piece of garbage, but they offer up some awesome free apps pretty regularly (a free app everyday guaranteed). I've gotten most of my non humble games such as Cut the Rope (get this ASAP, one of the best games for mobile), 10000000, Fruit Ninja, Jumping Finn Turbo (Adventure Time endless runner, might be worth a look), and a ton of others without having to part with my precious Washington's. The best grabs though were probably Tapatalk (for CAG), and Swiftkey, both of which I HIGHLY recommend to everyone.

Oh, and welcome to the android club, I think you're gonna like it here :grouphug:

Also, mobile needs multi quote. Just to do this I have to quote a post, copy the text, back out, quote the next post, paste the copied text, copy the text, back out, so on and so forth until all posts are quoted together. Dumb.
Don't be dumb, learn to Tapatalk ;)

:rofl: BW is that dude

[customspoiler=Still prefer the "original"...]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afnr_lZP-Y[/customspoiler]

gangsta shit

These button things are like a secret society to me since they don't work on mobile. I'm guessing it's for the best in most instances.

Also, mobile needs multi quote. Just to do this I have to quote a post, copy the text, back out, quote the next post, paste the copied text, copy the text, back out, so on and so forth until all posts are quoted together. Dumb.
played out gif ahead but I hadn't seen this version so fugg it

Solution: Take it to the head, Preedatore‼

Ted-smokingweed.gif

Mend phones!

Oh - so that's where the sample's from!

Never seen the movie.

"Now they droppin' that yellin', it's a tad bit late.

Nero5iS and MysterD had to Regulate."

Sorry, I know - I don't sing it quite like Nate Dogg (RIP). ;)
Do yourself a favor, after you finish GoT, play a bit of F.T.L. and watch Young Guns. I'm not typically a fan of western motif, but it's a really solid movie. (Plus, its kinda got an awesome cast.)

If you haven't already, definitely download the Amazon App Store. Yes it's a slow piece of garbage, but they offer up some awesome free apps pretty regularly (a free app everyday guaranteed). I've gotten most of my non humble games such as Cut the Rope (get this ASAP, one of the best games for mobile), 10000000, Fruit Ninja, Jumping Finn Turbo (Adventure Time endless runner, might be worth a look), and a ton of others without having to part with my precious Washington's. The best grabs though were probably Tapatalk (for CAG), and Swiftkey, both of which I HIGHLY recommend to everyone.

Oh, and welcome to the android club, I think you're gonna like it here :grouphug:
Well, I already have an iPad, so it didn't make sense to get an iPhone too. A friend who has both said it's pretty redundant...obviously.

I looked up Amazon App Store, but all I immediately found was Amazon Mobile. Same thing? Maybe I should search for more than a second. Also, I loved 1,000,000.

Will have to look up the apps you recommend. Also, I love endless runners.

Well, I already have an iPad, so it didn't make sense to get an iPhone too. A friend who has both said it's pretty redundant...obviously.

I looked up Amazon App Store, but all I immediately found was Amazon Mobile. Same thing? Maybe I should search for more than a second. Also, I loved 1,000,000.

Will have to look up the apps you recommend. Also, I love endless runners.
Yeah it definitely is a bit pointless to have both, aside from being easier to sync stuff between the two (though there's dropbox for that).

I think Amazon Mobile is their cell phone carrier service or something like that, but either way here's a link to the app store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android/ref=mas_rw_ldg

You can also find it by attempting to download any app on your PC, as it requires you to first link a phone to your account. As a side note I might as well mention todays free app: Sugar, Sugar. No idea if it's any good, but it looks weird enough to get me to download it so I guess it's doing something right ;)

So here's my question: should I even bother with GTA IV if I haven't played any of it yet, or should I just skip it and get the expansions? You aren't the first person I've seen that liked the DLC more than the base game, so I'm beginning to think I should just snag it when it's cheap now it's standalone.
I rather liked GTA IV as well as both episodes. I'd probably rank the base game and Gay Tony together ahead of Lost and the Damned, but all three were enjoyable and the stories interacted in fun ways.

As for Young Guns, I wouldn't call the cast awesome so much as a definitive 80s brat pack cast.

The thing is - there's a bit of story & character overlapping, where you'll see other characters each piece GTA4: Complete. There's one BIG point in the story where there's a complete intersection b/t the 3 stories of GTA4, Ballad of Gay Tony, and TLATD. To see it & experience it all from all 3 sides, you'll have to play all 3 pieces.

GTA4 (base game) is great, IMHO - yes, it's grounded & tries to be much more realistic than most GTA games; but the game's still all kinds of awesome. It's a bit different in that regard, but it's still GTA experience - and it's a great one. Ballad has that kind of over-the-top and ridiculousness earlier GTA's are known for - like say GTA3, VC, and SA.

I can't speak on TLATD since I ain't touched it (i.e. I needed a GTA break) - but my guess, it'd be somewhere b/t GTA4 and Ballad. Maybe someone can confirm or deny I assumption?

I should start that up TLATD soon, once I finish GOT RPG and possibly touch FTL.

IMHO - I'd say play all the GTA4 content, to get the complete GTA4 experience - to get the realistic (GTA4 base game) and over-the-top experience (Ballad of Gay Tony); and wherever the hell TLATD might fall.

EDIT:

So, should Rockstar and Take 2 worry *that much* about PC piracy on GTA5?

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Xbox-360-Has-Been-Leaked-Torrents-59065.html

GTAIV was the first and only GTA game I've ever played...am I missing something? I thought it was incredibly boring. That being said, having seen some of the previews for GTAV, it does look pretty cool...may give it a whirl when it gets cheap.

Can we official say this is the worst publisher sale on the history of Steam? This weekend has been a bust for daily deals between this and the constant EA Humble Bundle repeats.

Can we official say this is the worst publisher sale on the history of Steam? This weekend has been a bust for daily deals between this and the constant EA Humble Bundle repeats.
no u mean finish collection ea repeats lol and mysterd u forget the rest of candc screw u ea humble u evill humble. on tuesday it will be another ea game then two days after another ea prolly ds lol ea dyingg yo 75% of sale omg ea having a death sale from what they say lol heh

no u mean finish collection ea repeats lol and mysterd u forget the rest of candc screw u ea humble u evill humble. on tuesday it will be another ea game then two days after another ea prolly ds lol ea dyingg yo 75% of sale omg ea having a death sale from what they say lol heh
I would be completely okay with a dead space sale. Need dead space 2, yeah, because they left it out of the humble bundle, but I had already played dead space 1 before the humble, and was planning on getting ds 2/3 when they hit a good price point. I had borrowed ds1 from a friend and played it on xbox, so the humble gave me 1/3 for a dollar, now I just gotta fill in 2. Wish it had been in the bundle, but I won't complain, if it gets down to five bucks I'll get the trilogy for 6 dollars total. Completely okay with that.

The episodes are WAY better than the main game. For one, they're only about 8-10 hours long each (plus side activities if you're keen), so you won't get bored. The missions are way more varied and fun, the new weapons are great (auto shotty with explosive rounds? Yes please), the characters are great (all GTA characters are, except for Brucie, he can die in a fire) and the stories are interesting enough to see through. And this may be all in my head, but I swear it ran better than the GTA4 main game.

All in all, I had a thousand times more fun with EFLC than I did with GTA4. But Saints Row 3 is still the most fun you can have in an open world game (haven't played 4 yet).
^_^ I poked at the reviews and HLTB for TLATD and it it looked sweet and not too damn long. Yeah, I had a blast in SR2 & SR3 as well. EFLC is the highest patch version of the game (I know, I was digging into iceEnchancer for GTA4/EFLC... very patch specific.) I can't tell since it's 3.5 years and a new graphics card since I played GTA5. I decided to put iceEnchancer on hold and just toss on SweetFX (for a little SMAA... GTA4's engine uses deferred lighting, so MSAA isn't available.)

I still need to finish the last bit of GTA SA from years back, and oddly I've never really touched GTA3.

Oh, you and your fibrewire - please don't choke me out. You need someone to race against online, you know! :p

Yeah, your "play them GTA4 Episodes" is a good idea. I certainly do need to go play TLATD DLC. I already played Ballad of Gay Tony DLC and loved it - closest thing to Vice City of late in terms of gameplay (a bit over-the-top), IMHO.
^_^

Yeah, it's also why I sometimes delay parts of a series... so when the new one comes out I can get my fix by playing the last one.

Yeah the new mobile version is still pretty deficient... I tend to forgo quoting when I use it (Linux-phone, no tapatalk).

Don't be dumb, learn to Tapatalk ;)
Tapatalk is the solution to miserable mobile design <glares at Cheapy>

Yes, Cut the Rope it the one mobile game I just flat-out recommend.

You leave my mother out of this!

Actually I can quote and see what's behind them, but that's more work than I care to do. So point and giggle at will.
:D/ :shame: :lol:

:wall:

IMHO - I'd say play all the GTA4 content, to get the complete GTA4 experience - to get the realistic (GTA4 base game) and over-the-top experience (Ballad of Gay Tony); and wherever the hell TLATD might fall.
Honestly, the fact that GTA IV is realistic and serious is what makes me not want to play it. Out of all the rockstar games I've played, the only one I've seriously liked is Bully because of how hilarious and ridiculous it was. As much as I tried to, I just couldn't get into LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption took until the final few hours for me to care about it at all, and even then the actual gameplay was extremely dull for me. On the other hand I had a blast with Sleeping Dogs, because although it was mostly very serious, it still added in enough goofy missions (the wedding planning one stands out most) to keep from getting bogged down by it. I haven't played Saints Row TT yet so I'm not sure if complete balls to the wall insanity would appeal to me, but I expect I would enjoy EFLC much more than GTA IV base.

Or maybe I should go way back and finally play one of the PS2 era GTAs, since I haven't gone that either. I don't know, there's just too many things I need to play, but thanks for your opinion on it.

Honestly, the fact that GTA IV is realistic and serious is what makes me not want to play it. Out of all the rockstar games I've played, the only one I've seriously liked is Bully because of how hilarious and ridiculous it was. As much as I tried to, I just couldn't get into LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption took until the final few hours for me to care about it at all, and even then the actual gameplay was extremely dull for me. On the other hand I had a blast with Sleeping Dogs, because although it was mostly very serious, it still added in enough goofy missions (the wedding planning one stands out most) to keep from getting bogged down by it. I haven't played Saints Row TT yet so I'm not sure if complete balls to the wall insanity would appeal to me, but I expect I would enjoy EFLC much more than GTA IV base.

Or maybe I should go way back and finally play one of the PS2 era GTAs, since I haven't gone that either. I don't know, there's just too many things I need to play, but thanks for your opinion on it.
Since, I'm talking to you, I'd point out GTA4 is *long*, I'd guess it took me 80 hours (maybe 60). I am a quasi-completionist though (completed most side activities, didn't hunt down all 200 flying rats -- I got better things to do.)

I thought GTA VC & SA did a better job of pulling me into the story.

...that reminds me, I still have Episodes from Vice City (PS2) that I've only dabbled at...

I would be completely okay with a dead space sale. Need dead space 2, yeah, because they left it out of the humble bundle, but I had already played dead space 1 before the humble, and was planning on getting ds 2/3 when they hit a good price point. I had borrowed ds1 from a friend and played it on xbox, so the humble gave me 1/3 for a dollar, now I just gotta fill in 2. Wish it had been in the bundle, but I won't complain, if it gets down to five bucks I'll get the trilogy for 6 dollars total. Completely okay with that.
Oh my god... is that was tebow was saying? You understand what he said?

^_^ I poked at the reviews and HLTB for TLATD and it it looked sweet and not too damn long. Yeah, I had a blast in SR2 & SR3 as well. EFLC is the highest patch version of the game (I know, I was digging into iceEnchancer for GTA4/EFLC... very patch specific.) I can't tell since it's 3.5 years and a new graphics card since I played GTA5. I decided to put iceEnchancer on hold and just toss on SweetFX (for a little SMAA... GTA4's engine uses deferred lighting, so MSAA isn't available.)

I still need to finish the last bit of GTA SA from years back, and oddly I've never really touched GTA3.

^_^

Yeah, it's also why I sometimes delay parts of a series... so when the new one comes out I can get my fix by playing the last one.

:wall:
I also never finished GTA:SA - only GTA that I ain't finished; well, that and TLATDM, since I ain't began it. GTA:SA is just....SO BIG. That and the fact that there's always missions in GTA games that have multiple parts to them that don't have an auto-save and drive me nuts b/c you have to restart them - of course, the "austo-save in middle of mission" is something GTA4 DLC's fixed.

About banging your head b/c of the C&C: RA3 sale - not cheap enough to suit you? Or do you already own it?

EDIT:

Oh, I loved Bully and LA Noire: Complete. :D

I still wish Red Dead Redemp would hit the PC.... :'(

GTA5 better come here, too.

Yeah, Sleeping Dogs was awesome.

And SR:TT is just freaking insane, awesome, hilarious, ridiculous, over-the-top - and then some.

I also never finished GTA:SA - only GTA that I ain't finished; well, that and TLATDM, since I ain't began it. GTA:SA is just....SO BIG. That and the fact that there's always missions in GTA games that have multiple parts to them that don't have an auto-save and drive me nuts b/c you have to restart them - of course, the "austo-save in middle of mission" is something GTA4 DLC's fixed.

About banging your head b/c of the C&C: RA3 sale - not cheap enough to suit you? Or do you already own it?
Yes, but SA has variety too... Los Santos, San Fiereo, Los Venturas, & the countryside all have different feels... and by the time you start feeling the need to cross the whole map semi-repeatedly, it's simple enough to steal a plane and parachute out over your destination (or the nearest highway to "borrow" a car.

Well the whole C&C Collection has been $9 a few times...

Since, I'm talking to you, I'd point out GTA4 is *long*, I'd guess it took me 80 hours (maybe 60). I am a quasi-completionist though (completed most side activities, didn't hunt down all 200 flying rats -- I got better things to do.)

I thought GTA VC & SA did a better job of pulling me into the story.

...that reminds me, I still have Episodes from Vice City (PS2) that I've only dabbled at...
:drool:

Well I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact howlongtobeat's average for main story + extras is only half that, but still...with my current level of interest fairly low, I'll probably tackle some other BIG games (Fallout 3/NV, XCOM *playing now*, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts 2, Persona 3, KOTOR, and AC3 first and foremost) before I get anywhere near GTA IV.

It isn't that I inherently dislike long games, I just have a hard time sticking to anything longer than 15-20 hours when I have other stuff I'm also wanting to play in front of me. Because of this I tend to prioritize short (4-5 hour) games so I can finish off a good chunk of backlog in a short span. Obviously there is little (read: zero) chance I will ever finish my whole backlog, but I'd at least like to get under 100 games before I start something all consuming and wind up doubling my backlog in the time it takes to beat.

Well I'm somewhat encouraged by the fact howlongtobeat's average for main story + extras is only half that, but still...with my current level of interest fairly low, I'll probably tackle some other BIG games (Fallout 3/NV, XCOM *playing now*, Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts 2, Persona 3, KOTOR, and AC3 first and foremost) before I get anywhere near GTA IV.
So you'll get to GTAIV in like, 3 years? Haha

Just tried Paranormal on Steam. I played that game some months ago, on Desura, and it was great, very scary game. The developer keeps adding stuff and I like that

Another update: Eador. I'm really loving this game, about 10 hours into it (is a nice number considering the backlog) and still want more. As I said before, is NOT MoM, but is the closer one I've played.

It isn't that I inherently dislike long games, I just have a hard time sticking to anything longer than 15-20 hours when I have other stuff I'm also wanting to play in front of me. Because of this I tend to prioritize short (4-5 hour) games so I can finish off a good chunk of backlog in a short span. Obviously there is little (read: zero) chance I will ever finish my whole backlog, but I'd at least like to get under 100 games before I start something all consuming and wind up doubling my backlog in the time it takes to beat.
The problem with this is you're gonna wind up with a backlog w/nothing but huge RPGs. That's why I like to finish a big game, do 2-3 short games, then take on another big game. Otherwise it feels like you're making progress, then you're like oh crap...all of my games are 50+ hours.

GTA4 was one I really had to set aside time for and decide (and stick to) the fact that I was going to beat it before I played anything else (except racing games, of course).

Skip Persona 3 and jump to Persona 3 FES. ^_~

I have have only played AC2, ACB, & ACR, but I really don't see why AC3 is on that list.

...I really should dig into FO3, FO:NV, DA:O, Morrowind, Skyrim.... -seppuku-

I wonder when he'll get to GTA5, then.

Hmmmm - maybe we'll get a PC port by then...
We should all donate to cryogenics research, that way we can be brought back when they have the medical knowledge to cure whatever ailments were going to kill us, so we can finish our eternal backlogging quest for glory.

I wonder when he'll get to GTA5, then.

Hmmmm - maybe we'll get a PC port by then...
Yes, but then how many years before there are enough patches and I have a new PC sufficiently overpowered enough to play GTAV at 30+ FPS...

Imo, GTA4 deserves SR2's worst-port-ever rep. It's a much bigger and higher profile AAA game that there's really no excuse for. Digging into EFLC... I feel that my CPU (3.2 GHz Phenom II X3 720 BE) is holding back my GPU (GTX 660)... GPU/CPU load bear this out... also GTA4 shadow calculations seem to be done on the CPU instead of the GPU...odd.

We should all donate to cryogenics research, that way we can be brought back when they have the medical knowledge to cure whatever ailments were going to kill us, so we can finish our eternal backlogging quest for glory.
And we need to find out how to become Immortal.

I just might have to ask The Nameless One and Ravel Puzzelwell. ;)

I'm really debating whether to get this. It's on my wish list, but I know I won't play it for a while (probably), so debating if I should just wait. It'll get down to at least 5 bucks on Steam soon enough, and maybe they'll bundle it w/something.
The bundle they debuted over the summer was the Bit.Trip.Runner 2 + Soundtrack + Good Friends Character Pack which sold for 50% off at $9.99. I think it's a safe assumption that this bundle will hit $5 by the winter sale.

Fantastic game, by the way.

Yes, but then how many years before there are enough patches and I have a new PC sufficicently overpowered enough to play GTAV at 30_ FPS...

Imo, GTA4 deserves SR2's worst-port-ever rep.
Bah - I got better performance out of GTA4 PC (after the shadows-revamped patch) when compared SR2 PC.

EDIT:

Bully PC was a MUCH worse port than both GTA4 PC (before shadows-patch) and SR2 PC.

At least on my previous PC, I could actually RUN GTA4 PC and SR2 PC.

Bully PC just wouldn't boot on it, no matter what - and I trashed Bully PC's requirements by a MILE.

Though, Bully PC run on my current rig - go freaking figure.

EDIT 2:

GTA4 was one I really had to set aside time for and decide (and stick to) the fact that I was going to beat it before I played anything else (except racing games, of course).

I have have only played AC2, ACB, & ACR, but I really don't see why AC3 is on that list.

AC3 is said to be...

...like 10 hours just to get by the "first part of the actual epic story", where you're Young Connor.

Granted, I ain't played AC3 yet - but that's what I've heard, from friends and reviews say it takes a while before the story gets really going.

EDIT 3:

OMG - you really need to get to FO3 + NV; DAO; and Skyrim - all of those are great.

If you haven't dug into any of those games, you really owe it to yourself to try them. FO3/NV and Skyrim are some of my favorite games from this generation, and Dragon Age is pretty good also. I just downloaded Morrowind when steam had it on sale for 5 bucks a month ago. Downloaded the overhaul mod, which makes it borderline gorgeous. Played it for a few hours and could see myself getting reallllly absorbed into it, so put it off for later. But yeah...play those.

If you haven't dug into any of those games, you really owe it to yourself to try them. FO3/NV and Skyrim are some of my favorite games from this generation, and Dragon Age is pretty good also. I just downloaded Morrowind when steam had it on sale for 5 bucks a month ago. Downloaded the overhaul mod, which makes it borderline gorgeous. Played it for a few hours and could see myself getting reallllly absorbed into it, so put it off for later. But yeah...play those.
Yeah, all of those games are great. FO3: GOTY + FO:NV Ultimate + Morrowind: GOTY + Skyrim (base game) + DAO Ultimate have EACH themselves taken over 100 hours of my life away.

EDIT:

To add to this - Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe also has taken over 100 hours of my life easily.

Yeah, all of those games are great. FO3: GOTY + FO:NV Ultimate + Morrowind: GOTY + Skyrim (base game) + DAO Ultimate have EACH themselves taken over 100 hours of my life away.
And if you add in mods, it gets even MORE insane. I played all of them vanilla (except Morrowind, which I haven't played at all) and have poured at least 100 hours into them. But they all have additional content you can play w/mods, like Skyrim has that ridiculous Falskaar mod. W/mods you could easily pour 150-250 hours into a single playthrough with some of those games. I feel like I could potentially play nothing but Bethesda games for the rest of my life, and still be satisfied.

The problem with this is you're gonna wind up with a backlog w/nothing but huge RPGs. That's why I like to finish a big game, do 2-3 short games, then take on another big game. Otherwise it feels like you're making progress, then you're like oh crap...all of my games are 50+ hours.
That's a good point, and I suppose I'm not only playing short games now, just for the most part. As I said I'm currently playing XCOM EU, which is apparently a good 30+ hours per playthrough, and am about 30 hours deep in Skyrim with the main + college quests completed (working on Thieves guild and civil wars ATM), so I still find time for these big experiences, it just has to be something I'm dying to play which most of the games I listed aren't. So I suppose my philosophy is actually fairly similar to yours, I just hadn't looked at it that way :)

FES actually is the version I have ^_^

AC3 is only on there by default, as I was basically listing the super long games I already own. I haven't even gotten to Brotherhood yet, let alone Revelations/3, so it might actually be further down the line than any GTA in the grand scheme of things (I haven't actually gone as far as to map out my gaming timeline for the next decade so nothings set in stone).

EDIT:

To add to this - Oblivion: GOTY Deluxe also has taken over 100 hours of my life easily.
Omg. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls, and what really got me into video games. I played it on my roommate's Xbox in college. It inspired me to buy my own Xbox, where I lost my save, got Oblivion, and played it all over again. This year I popped it back in, played it AGAIN, and decided to try to 100 percent it (like, explore every cave, get every nirnroot, type of 100%). I got bored after 180(!!!) hours and being so overpowered that I obliterated everything in like 2 swings. Sooo yeah in total Oblivion has easily eaten about 300 hours up out of my life.

That's a good point, and I suppose I'm not only playing short games now, just for the most part. As I said I'm currently playing XCOM EU, which is apparently a good 30+ hours per playthrough, and am about 30 hours deep in Skyrim with the main + college quests completed (working on Thieves guild and civil wars ATM), so I still find time for these big experiences, it just has to be something I'm dying to play which most of the games I listed aren't. So I suppose my philosophy is actually fairly similar to yours, I just hadn't looked at it that way :)
I definitely get apprehensive booting up a longer game. A game like XCom wouldn't bug me, 30 hours isn't too much...it's those hugggge games, like Elder Scrolls, where at the beginning, I'm like, okay, if I start, this is all I'm doing for like, the next 2 or 3 months. The game I just bought that I want to get into but at the same time don't is Civilization 5. I haven't played a Civ game in awhile (3, a few years back), and I remember easily losing entire days at a time to it. Civ is one of those games that you just don't stop playing. There's no satisfying endpoint. When you run through the entirety of a game, you're like "hmm, guess I'll boot up a new one then."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back