The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
How Steam can display a release date of Oct 18, 2013 for this game and not get sued for false advertising is beyond me. Original release date, 1993.
Because any judges worth their salt would laugh such a suit out of court, and the lawyer who brought it forth would risk never having his or her cases taken seriously again.

I wonder if I can put a 10 year old car up for sale in a lot, and put "release date 2012" on it and not get sued.
You can. But people will laugh their way out of your lot and you risk them never taking your business seriously again.

Lesson: feel free to stop buying games off Steam if it bothers you so much.

The date is most likely wrong because a computer automatically published the release date according to the first day the game appears on Steam. It's not a systematic problem --a quick survey reveals Commander Keen, Duke Nukem 1-3, Earthworm Jim, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, and the X-Com games all have original release dates -- so it's unlikely that anyone is deliberately misleading you, especially with an incredibly well-known title like The 7th Guest.

If it really bothers you, drop Customer Support a line. But if you don't want them to laugh at you, I recommend couching your request in terms other than "fix it before I sue you."

Today's daily:

Strike Suit Zero: $19.99 $4.99 (-75%)
+ Heroes of the Fleet: $6.99 $1.74 (-75%)
+ Raptor: $2.99 $0.74 (-75%)
+ Soundtrack: $9.99 $2.49 (-75%)

Strike Suit Infinity not discounted.
If memory serves, this was 85% off during the summer sale. If I managed to resist buying it then when my steam wallet was overstuffed with GabeN funbux and I was itching to buy something (because the deals to that point weren't that great) I'm certainly not gonna buy it now.

I guess I'll probably never buy it outside of a bundle.

If memory serves, this was 85% off during the summer sale. If I managed to resist buying it then when my steam wallet was overstuffed with GabeN funbux and I was itching to buy something (because the deals to that point weren't that great) I'm certainly not gonna buy it now.

I guess I'll probably never buy it outside of a bundle.
y u change avatar

How Steam can display a release date of Oct 18, 2013 for this game and not get sued for false advertising is beyond me. Original release date, 1993. I wonder if I can put a 10 year old car up for sale in a lot, and put "release date 2012" on it and not get sued.
Your first inclination when Steam throws up a date that shows when it was released on their service but not when it was released initially is to sue them for false advertising? What a world in which we live.

Did you click on the link to claim it after 24 hours had passed?
Thank you for the pearl, mate. I've been patiently waiting for me key- oblivious that I was suppose to click on that link.

Sidenote: I'm currently playing Saints Row 3 and struggling on normal level. I've heard the game is "easy". So is there a specific gun that is best in the game?

I'm currently annoyed by the gang hangouts and flying my plane around bombing them. The problem I run into is when I get phone calls to survive waves I can't. I have a pistol, shotgun, and SMG. They don't do very much damage. I haven't bought any weapon upgrades yet. I've been purchasing property to increase my hourly income. The game is fun- even though I suck.

Sidenote2: I find it hilarious that in a ultra violent game they felt the need to blur out boobs and vag.

Thank you for the pearl, mate. I've been patiently waiting for me key- oblivious that I was suppose to click on that link.

Sidenote: I'm currently playing Saints Row 3 and struggling on normal level. I've heard the game is "easy". So is there a specific gun that is best in the game?

I'm currently annoyed by the gang hangouts and flying my plane around bombing them. The problem I run into is when I get phone calls to survive waves I can't. I have a pistol, shotgun, and SMG. They don't do very much damage. I haven't bought any weapon upgrades yet. I've been purchasing property to increase my hourly income. The game is fun- even though I suck.

Sidenote2: I find it hilarious that in a ultra violent game they felt the need to blur out boobs and vag.
SR:TT might be trying to avoid AO turf there - which would cause the game to not be sold at most important places like Retail & Steam.

It's one thing to have it here and there like The Witcher games do - but I bet it'd probably be considered another thing (by the ESRB) to allow it at the players' whim at anytime.

Games that allow constant full-blown nudity at any moment in time - i.e. Singles: Flirt Up Your Life + Singles: Triple Trouble in their uncensored versions - yep, those got AO ratings in USA.

Oh whatta you know, I signed into the website and accepted a "terms have changed" form, and now I can log in via the client. Stupid Microsoft for not telling me that's what was required when the client failed to log in, ugh! :headache:

This is weird, I just wanted to uninstall some DLC but the client is telling me it's not even installed, oh well I'll just delete it from the folder then. It's sitting right in my GFWL folder but the client doesn't recognize that.

The only remaining GFW marketplace content I own is some costumes for Fable 3, I can live without that, will probably never play the game again.
I have had whole games not be recognized by the marketplace client after downloading and installing them through it. Luckily they still launched by way of their own .exe. The marketplace client is really just more of a downloader separate from the live service, and the client has always been a little rough around the edges.

y u change avatar
This is why.

chh.gif

OK, that didn't really answer your question. But it makes me laugh every time I see it.

I uninstalled G4WL Marketplace Client program, then re-installed it.

It's now working - go bloody figure.

EDIT:

I tell you, G4WL Marketplace and its in-game client tab is one of the most quirky and pain-in-the-ass programs to get going. I've probably uninstalled/reinstalled it a bunch of times, in this lifetime. Whether G4WL updates don't take properly; or games won't run at splash screen b/c of G4WL itself not working right; or somehow files get trashed/corrupted; or the program doesn't properly open the right ports or keep them open; or for some reason it just stop works - who the hell knows why. It's a half-assed Microsoft program.

And I ain't even counting the numerous problems people have had w/ online and offline profiles; saves corrupting and/or getting trashed; DRM issues; etc - which I never been through w/ this hunk-of-junk.

Never ever been through those kind of problems w/ Steam, UPlay, Desura, or any other damn game-client.
I have had save problems in Dirt 2, Bulletstorm, and I think Red Faction.

I have had save problems in Dirt 2, Bulletstorm, and I think Red Faction.
Yeah - G4WL can be a pain-in-the-ass, to say the least, for whatever reason.

Luckily, I ain't ever hit saved-game issues - if I hit any of those, I'd probably be fuming.

Always been other problems w/ namely the damn G4WL in-game tab/toolbar or G4WL Marketplace client-programs - which are a pain-in-the-ass, but I have got it going again numerous times, thankfully.

G4WL, what a piece of garbage.

Red Sox vs Cardinals...yayyyy...because neither of them have won multiple championships in the past decade, so in no way am I sick of watching them in the World Series.
I'm from Rhode Island and I have to say regardless of if the Red Sox are in the World Series or not, baseball is seriously one of the most lame sports to watch. Honestly, hockey or football is like 10,000 times more exilarating to watch. I'm also drunk off of port wine right now.

bald_eagle_head_and_american_flag1.jpg

git r dun!?

This is why.

chh.gif

OK, that didn't really answer your question. But it makes me laugh every time I see it.

I thought it was a USA and/or cracker dis and now I'm disappointed. I mean, you guys are high-caliber white devils -- it just needs to be said.

I played on Hard and didn't find it bad, you should definitely upgrade some of your guns. The difficulty is probably balanced for upgraded guns.

Because any judges worth their salt would laugh such a suit out of court, and the lawyer who brought it forth would risk never having his or her cases taken seriously again.
You are foolishly naive about how the American court system works. So if your local grocery store falsely advertised week after week after week, you'd just sit idly by? How is Valve any different?

Your first inclination when Steam throws up a date that shows when it was released on their service but not when it was released initially is to sue them for false advertising? What a world in which we live.
You foolishly assume there is some sort of monetary gain to be had. Companies falsely advertise all the time, and the FDA/FCC/Attorney General come down on them all the time. It is entirely possible to sue a company to get them to follow the law or have the law clarified.

Silly people and their silly assumptions

Well guys I finally did it

I now have over 900 Steam games boy oh boy it's been a fun ride hard to believe I started this craze on June 10th 2012 geez time flies but I never thought i'd have this many games in that short span of a year 1/3. Now let's see if I can get 1,000 by the end of the year! :D

I think I have an addiction

help please?

I would appreciate any useful feedback. thanks
If its easier for you go with it but my phone cannot scroll the list (its old and crap) and more preferred browser (chrome) on my tablet cannot even see it...

It doesn't really effect me outside of not being able to plan while at work... but others might be completely blinded by it. (So I figured I would toss an FYI up.)

Steam is not a unique platform. It isn't like it was released on consoles back then and this is the first time coming to PC. If I ask 100 people what the release date is on that store page, they are going to assume that was when the game was actually released on PC. It is shameful and misleading of Valve. Note the release date on the GOG.com page: April 1st 1993.
I trust very little that I read on the Steam store page.

Personally, I played through all of SRTT and SRIV using almost exclusively dual pistols. I know other people like dual SMGs.

Both of those guns can be upgraded to full strength fairly early.

You are foolishly naive about how the American court system works. So if your local grocery store falsely advertised week after week after week, you'd just sit idly by? How is Valve any different?
You're right.

I'm going to sue my local grocer for mislabeling the price of their carrots.

Because I am a jackass.

You're right.

I'm going to sue my local grocer for mislabeling the price of their carrots.

Because I am a jackass.

Personally, I played through all of SRTT and SRIV using almost exclusively dual pistols. I know other people like dual SMGs.

Both of those guns can be upgraded to full strength fairly early.
I haven't unlocked dual pistols yet. I was worried that the aiming would get messed up using two. Thanks for the tip- I'll unlock that next.

4K resolution? Nice, I've always wanted to download a 90GB game for a week.
Still waiting for those 100+ GB worth of textures for us that Carmack mentioned a bit ago for RAGE at that 2011 QuakeCon keynote.

Supposedly, Id's got a 1TB-plus version they have there!

EDIT:

Yup, 4K is coming - hence NVidia pushing the big-time AAA PC titles like Watch Dogs, AC4, Batman: AO, COD: Ghosts, w/ high requirements and NVidia's article on 4K; new consoles coming around the corner; and we finally might see assets not get compressed down like they were often getting in the past.

Gosh, I want Nuclear Throne so much.  It looks so fun, plus the devs. are streaming updates twice a week and still building the game out.

And I dare not bump the IG thread without news, but what's up with no longer Indie Gala happy hour?

Gosh, I want Nuclear Throne so much. It looks so fun, plus the devs. are streaming updates twice a week and still building the game out.

And I dare not bump the IG thread without news, but what's up with no longer Indie Gala happy hour?
Someone actually got a 50% coupon for Nuclear Throne after crafting a badge. Im so jelly, I'd hop on the game for 6 bux.

I've been burnt by two game that i recently bought so far, Day One: Garry's Incident and Dark Matter. I feel so violated! :whistle2:( Take these games of Steam now Gaben! :pray:

Regarding Garry's Incident, seems there's a real life one - http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/20/day-one-garrys-incident/  To summarize - Total Biscuit gets game for review, trashes it, developers get review pulled citing Total Biscuit making advertising revenue off of it.  People are accusing the publisher of also posting fake Metacritic reviews to bump the score up.  The internet has responded in kind as it currently has a user score of 0.7  Review is up on daliymotion - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames

Regarding Garry's Incident, seems there's a real life one - http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/20/day-one-garrys-incident/ To summarize - Total Biscuit gets game for review, trashes it, developers get review pulled citing Total Biscuit making advertising revenue off of it. People are accusing the publisher of also posting fake Metacritic reviews to bump the score up. The internet has responded in kind as it currently has a user score of 0.7 Review is up on daliymotion - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames
Wow, what assholes. I mean if you made a bad game, don't hide the fact that you did. Admit it and make your next game better. By doing this, your only going to publicly humiliate yourself and make people not want to respect you. I could imagine going into a job interview with this credibility, lol.

Eldredpe already answered, but I'll second what he said. The dual pistols upgraded to the max are one of the most powerful weapons in the game. They're accurate and they'll even take out helicopters in seconds.

And don't just go thru the storyline, there is plenty to do outside of the main story to earn extra cash for upgrades/weapons. Also, I play with m+kb for the shooty parts, and controller for driving/flying, better accuracy so things die faster.

And if worst comes to worst, just do co-op.

travathian said:
How Steam can display a release date of Oct 18, 2013 for this game and not get sued for false advertising is beyond me. Original release date, 1993. I wonder if I can put a 10 year old car up for sale in a lot, and put "release date 2012" on it and not get sued.
for a scientist, you sure make some dumb posts ;)

9k6q80.jpg

The End said:
This is why.

chh.gif

Lesson of the Day: Fat Men Can't Slide

Regarding Garry's Incident, seems there's a real life one - http://indiestatik.com/2013/10/20/day-one-garrys-incident/ To summarize - Total Biscuit gets game for review, trashes it, developers get review pulled citing Total Biscuit making advertising revenue off of it. People are accusing the publisher of also posting fake Metacritic reviews to bump the score up. The internet has responded in kind as it currently has a user score of 0.7 Review is up on daliymotion - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15fmac_wtf-is-day-one-garry-s-incident_videogames
TB's response video to the whole mess is pretty good too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0[/youtube]

In it, he shares emails between his company and the developer, provides a quote from the Steam forums where the CEO said Youtube videos were fine by him, points out that there are several other Incident videos making ad revenue from other reviewers still online, and breaks down the shadier details of the project's Kickstarter campaign.

Kotaku is reporting that, following the negative feedback, they will withdraw the original complaint.

So my nephew (man, that makes me feel old...) runs a small gaming startup in China and ordered an Occulus Rift. He had it delivered to my house (in the US) so that I could ship it to him. I took the opportunity yesterday to unpack it and check out what all the fuss is about. I got it set up in Linux and ran the test demo with the headset on. Not even 60 seconds later, I have to rip it off 'cause I can feel my dinner about to climb its way back up my throat and I'm starting to feel dizzy. I'm not especially prone to motion sickness outside of things like rollercoaster rides in the dark ( fuck you, Revenge of the Mummy!) and the demo is just walking around a villa in Tuscany in FPS mode (obviously) but I couldn't stand this thing. I've never gotten motion sickness from a game before in my life (and I've been playing them for over 30 years now) but I don't think I would ever get used to this. I don't know if it would have gone better if I had changed the lenses (it comes with three sets of lenses, depending on your visual acuity) but after a couple more tries which didn't go any better, I just packed it back up. Oh, and I don't think it does anything much better than a good pair of 3D glasses - the resolution (1280x800) is pretty low and you can actually see the "pixels" in the demo. Although I must admit that the scene does seem to "wrap around" you.

Edit: Offtopic, but the WTF of the week: Backdoor found in D-Link router firmware code

Yup, 4K is coming - hence NVidia pushing the big-time AAA PC titles like Watch Dogs, AC4, Batman: AO, COD: Ghosts, w/ high requirements and NVidia's article on 4K; new consoles coming around the corner; and we finally might see assets not get compressed down like they were often getting in the past.
I may be in the minority, but I'm good with 1080p for the foreseeable future. Better stuff to spend my money on than running some games on an expensive 4k monitor requiring 3 expensive gpus and wasting a bucket load of electricity. Games already look good enough for me and 4k seems excessive (much like 1440p phones)

This may change when they make 4k stuff dirt cheap and more energy efficient... penguins will likely get on that bandwagon in 10 years time.

I think we're gonna get better pre-rendered cutscene quality cause they won't compress the crap out of em to fit on a Xbox 360 DVD. I hope.

I don't have plans to go past 1200p, cause then I'd need an even more expensive video card to run games at high settings, not to mention a new monitor.

I may be in the minority, but I'm good with 1080p for the foreseeable future. Better stuff to spend my money on that running some games on an expensive 4k monitor requiring 3 expensive gpus and wasting a bucket load of electricity. Games already look good enough for me and 4k seems excessive (much like 1440p phones)

This may change when they make 4k stuff dirt cheap and more energy efficient... penguins will likely get on that bandwagon in 10 years time.
Agreed. I mean, I'm interested and all, but totally not worth the money for now. I mean, if I had a bunch of extra money sitting around, I'd go for it, but 1080p is more than good enough for me for now.

Saints Row 3 and 4 are not balanced around their HUGE armor/damage variances all that well. You do need to be leveling up the health/guns and scoring headshots until you can. By the end game of each, you'll have to stay on foot for ages to die.

I mean, hell, you can literally just become invincible in SR3 and can't turn it off. Even 75% reduction in bullet damage is just plain nuts along with health boosts. Volition has been phoning it in but that is still quite silly. Don't treat SR games as SUPER SRS DARK SOULS MOST HARDCORE GAMES EVER MUST CHALLENGE SELF. Drop it to Casual in Options if you're getting smacked around. They sure didn't care about balance. You shouldn't either.

You foolishly assume there is some sort of monetary gain to be had. Companies falsely advertise all the time, and the FDA/FCC/Attorney General come down on them all the time. It is entirely possible to sue a company to get them to follow the law or have the law clarified.

Silly people and their silly assumptions
Heaven forbid there isn't some tiny minutiae of life someone can't go complain to mama government about because they feel uncomfortable.

Oh but it's a corporation so nobody really cares if they get fined because they have infinite money.

It was not the profit motive I suspected when I made my remark; it was the sheer silly "tattle-tale" impulse there.

I may be in the minority, but I'm good with 1080p for the foreseeable future. Better stuff to spend my money on than running some games on an expensive 4k monitor requiring 3 expensive gpus and wasting a bucket load of electricity. Games already look good enough for me and 4k seems excessive (much like 1440p phones)

I can hardly tell the difference between 720p and 1080p most of the time, so 4k isn't even in the back of my mind right now...

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut (10/22), Path of Exile (10/23), and Deadly Premonition (10/29) are all card providers.

Wasn't even considering the rebate situation -- dope!

I may be in the minority, but I'm good with 1080p for the foreseeable future. Better stuff to spend my money on that running some games on an expensive 4k monitor requiring 3 expensive gpus and wasting a bucket load of electricity. Games already look good enough for me and 4k seems excessive (much like 1440p phones)

Also agree. 1080p is totally fine. I don't even turn AA on and 1080p still looks awesome. To run anything higher than 1080p with max settings/AA just requires too much money and power. I like pretty graphics, but not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back