CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy schnikes...! The people who buys these astronomically over priced digital party favors are nuts! NUTS!

Damn, that's a really good point actually. Once the Snow Globe card market becomes flooded with thousands of new cards after the 3rd vote I think prices will drop .10-.20 at least. However, the introduction of F2P items and unlimited Holiday badge crafting does muddy the water. Hmm. This is a little more difficult to project with these new variables.

For whatever reason I have 2 complete sets of Snow Globe cards. It's somewhat tempting to craft one badge, but if you sell 10 cards at $0.60 on average that's $6 GabeN bucks. The smart CAG should take the easy money and run, but it's 1 AM and I might not be feeling too particularly smart right now...

No whammies... no whammies... no whammies...
They'll all be $0.16 when you wake up

Holy schnikes...! The people who buys these astronomically over priced digital party favors are nuts! NUTS!

Damn, that's a really good point actually. Once the Snow Globe card market becomes flooded with thousands of new cards after the 3rd vote I think prices will drop .10-.20 at least. However, the introduction of F2P items and unlimited Holiday badge crafting does muddy the water. Hmm. This is a little more difficult to project with these new variables.

For whatever reason I have 2 complete sets of Snow Globe cards. It's somewhat tempting to craft one badge, but if you sell 10 cards at $0.60 on average that's $6 GabeN bucks. The smart CAG should take the easy money and run, but it's 1 AM and I might not be feeling too particularly smart right now...

No whammies... no whammies... no whammies...
The real question is, why do you even have 2 full sets of snow globe cards?

The soundtrack is well worth $.70, and since you didn't already have it from Groupees I don't think you should be regretting that in the least.

Unless of course you never play or listen to it, but you wouldn't do that now would you?
Um, uh, <blush> of course not.

Actually I'm rather interested in it. I'll at least give it a try-out soon. ...as soon as you pry this racing wheel out of my cold grasp.

I'm about to buy Spec Ops The Line for $5, if anyone opposes speak now. I never paid attention to this game before, thought it was some shitty multiplayer fps but I learned tonight that its a third person shooter with single player focus and a good story.

I'm about to buy Spec Ops The Line for $5, if anyone opposes speak now. I never paid attention to this game before, thought it was some shitty multiplayer fps but I learned tonight that its a third person shooter with single player focus and a good story.
y u no buy it when it was $2.49 after EC credit on amazon. now u pay 2x da price

And hard choices. That's sums it up. I highly recommend it, a handful of other CAG regulars liked it as well.

Thanks dudes. I sampled the demo for 5 minutes and was horrified by the lack of AA but seems there's a flag to force it in Nvidia Inspector so whatever. Going to pick it up from a CAG for $5 whenever he's online next. Seems like a really cool game!

tumblr_ml5ekfbgxY1s372xzo1_500.gif

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the holiday sale has started after a day of disappointment. Looks like I'll finally be getting Electronic Super Joy and Monaco. Nearly bought both in the last sale.

They'll all be $0.16 when you wake up
Undoubtedly this is a real possibility. The spoderman is so wise. Blessed be us CAGs.

The real question is, why do you even have 2 full sets of snow globe cards?
I'd rather answer your unreal question first. But if you must know, I acquired them through my alternate Steam accounts by card idling then crafting on my main account.

The two most likely answers are steam sale bingeing or he just just crafted a bunch of normal badges.

There's the less embarrassing possibility that he was hording them pre-sale.
The less embarrassing possibility is the correct answer. I just figured it was worth hording until GabeN's money making scheme was unveiled.

I've come to my senses, I'm selling them all.

Um, uh, <blush> of course not.

Actually I'm rather interested in it. I'll at least give it a try-out soon. ...as soon as you pry this racing wheel out of my cold grasp.
If only you could play platfomers with a racing wheel.

...if only, if only...

And hard choices. That's sums it up. I highly recommend it, a handful of other CAG regulars liked it as well.
I've already vouched for it, while taking part in the cesspool that is tebow's chat. One of the most surprising games I have played in recent memory, highly recommend for any interested in a dark unflinching narrative wrapped around a surprisingly solid third-person shooter.

Spec Ops is a good game, but people completely give it too much praise for the moral "choices" and how the game makes you think about war. A lot of the choices are predetermined or don't have any real effect and the only way I can see it affecting someones views on war and violence is if you idealize them and view most military games as a mirror of what it's like in real life.

Spec Ops is a good game, but people completely give it too much praise for the moral "choices" and how the game makes you think about war. A lot of the choices are predetermined or don't have any real effect and the only way I can see it affecting someones views on war and violence is if you idealize them and view most military games as a mirror of what it's like in real life.
I took it as less about the morals of war, but as a commentary to the violent desensitizing nature of many modern video games.

But I'm sure that probably just sounds like hipster speak, and I can't come up with anything to back my points at 4AM.

Undoubtedly this is a real possibility. The spoderman is so wise. Blessed be us CAGs.

I'd rather answer your unreal question first. But if you must know, I acquired them through my alternate Steam accounts by card idling then crafting on my main account.

The less embarrassing possibility is the correct answer. I just figured it was worth hording until GabeN's money making scheme was unveiled.

I've come to my senses, I'm selling them all.
Not trying to be an asshole or anything, but I'm truly curious as to why even craft the cards into a badge in the first place? It almost never seemed worth it to me to craft the cards into badges except in the steam card beta when it was required to receive foil card drops from idling.

Like do you get more money from crafting certain badges? Are you just trying to up your level to get more booster pack drops? Do you just like getting game badges for certain games you love?

Not trying to be an asshole or anything, but I'm truly curious as to why even craft the cards into a badge in the first place? It almost never seemed worth it to me to craft the cards into badges except in the steam card beta when it was required to receive foil card drops from idling.

Like do you get more money from crafting certain badges? Are you just trying to up your level to get more booster pack drops? Do you just like getting game badges for certain games you love?
Done lurking now that someone has asked the question I want to know. I'm not sure I get the benefit of crafting badges. Should I reuse the Gaben bux I earned from selling my cards high when they drop off or should I say forget it and take some money off of my game purchases? Any rewards that are worth having for crafting badges?

Edit: This cleared up my question nicely - http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1j3g5v/

Spec Ops is a good game, but people completely give it too much praise for the moral "choices" and how the game makes you think about war.
A lot of the choices are predetermined or don't have any real effect and the only way I can see it affecting someones views on war and violence is if you idealize them and view most military games as a mirror of what it's like in real life.
#1 Spoilers

The basic theme is war is hell. Individuals are acting with imperfect information. Actions have unforeseen consequences. Real choices aren't black and white, and others may view one's course of action quite differently.

I took it as less about the morals of war, but as a commentary to the violent desensitizing nature of many modern video games.

But I'm sure that probably just sounds like hipster speak, and I can't come up with anything to back my points at 4AM.
Video games aren't solely to blame, it's American culture, media, TV, Movies, social norms. Heinous acts of violence in media are socially tolerated. My boobs are not. There's something wrong with that.

But I really don't feel that's what Spec Ops The Line is about... it's a personal narrative.

I think the Snow globe cards are spiking, I just listed at $.66 and it sold in less than a minute.  Should have gone higher :(  I'll get a new one after the vote anyway so I'll know if it's worth continuing selling or if they drop off a cliff.

Re: Spec Ops, it's totally worth $5.  The action is unspectacular but competent, and it gets dark as hell in a really interesting, (IMO) thoughtful way.  I also think it's the cool thing to do to call it overrated.

For posterity: Steam Community Vote Results

The unwashed masses voted:

29% - Waking Mars

35% - Mafia II

36% - Alice

Hmm, Painkiller H&D @ 80% or Hard Reset @ 85%... I don't care that much. I've played some of HREE and I suspect it's better than the Painkiller reboot, but it has been bundled... still $4 Painkiller reboot isn't cheap enough for me.

Edit: I'm picking Painkiller, because a painkiller sounds good right now.

Time to hire some hitmen. Shouldn't take many.
I keep some on retainer, but the holiday overtime rates are a killer.

Video games aren't solely to blame, it's American culture, media, TV, Movies, social norms. Heinous acts of violence in media are socially tolerated. My boobs are not. There's something wrong with that.

But I really don't feel that's what Spec Ops The Line is about... it's a personal narrative.
Agreed, I didn't mean to say video games are the only form of entertainment that indulges in glorifying violence, more that Spec Ops is one of the only games I've played that ever stooped to say "hey, this is pretty 'effed up".

And agreed, I'm still baffled at how it is somehow sexuality is considered wrong and taboo and yet murder and violence are socially accepted. At least in the backwards country of America anyways.

And I suppose I can see that as well. Really it can be taken many different ways, and will mean different things to different people that play it, which I feel is just one of the many strengths of the story. Things that aren't so readily explained and/or inspire debate and discussion are much more interesting to me than something that will play out the same for everyone that sees/plays it.

asheskitty said:
Your boobs will always be tolerated here. Unless you have pancake nips, in which case maybe that's the problem.

Hmm, Painkiller H&D @ 80% or Hard Reset @ 85%... I don't care that much. I've played some of HREE and I suspect it's better than the Painkiller reboot, but it has been bundled... still $4 Painkiller reboot isn't cheap enough for me.
All of the current choices suck, but I went with P:H&D.. for the DLC. Everyone has Hard Reset, and Citadels is meh.

Guess I should just sell the snow globe cards.  Guessing only the TF2 and Dota2 ones fetch high prices… so that's like… 1/100 odds or worse excluding the uncommon stuff.

I picked Hard Reset cause it has the coolest picture.

Got my first snow card, wanted to craft the badge but if I can get around 40 cents each I'll sell. I listed this card at the all time high even tho its currently 30 cents less, just to see if it'll go back up.

Annnnnd there goes the value of snow globes

Still debating between Painkiller and Hard Reset hmm
Snowglobe freebies killed the market, for sure. I wonder if enough of them will burn off during the day so that they spike again before the next (3rd) vote in 24 hours?

I'm fairly happy I've unloaded all of mine so far.

Video games aren't solely to blame, it's American culture, media, TV, Movies, social norms.  Heinous acts of violence in media are socially tolerated.  My boobs are not.  There's something wrong with that.

Both should be acceptable and tolerated. If someone has trouble distinguishing between violence in TV/Movies/Games and real life, then that individual has deeper issues and likely needs help. Now obviously kids are different and parents should monitor what they watch and play, but adults should be able to handle all the violence and sex they want in media and then be able to go out and still be decent human beings realizing violence against other people is wrong in most cases.

Both should be acceptable and tolerated. If someone has trouble distinguishing between violence in TV/Movies/Games and real life, then that individual has deeper issues and likely needs help. Now obviously kids are different and parents should monitor what they watch and play, but adults should be able to handle all the violence and sex they want in media and then be able to go out and still be decent human beings realizing violence against other people is wrong in most cases.

Also, voted for Hard Reset to piss off Spoder more.

That's a fair question, I take no offense. Crafting badges for the most part isn't worth it to be completely honest. I've sold a ton of cards on the market, well over 400 I'd estimate and according to Enhanced Steam my sales total is $340.58 to date.

I guess the lackluster answer would be boredom. However, I've crafted badges because A) it's cheap when you end up paying close to nothing for a full set with using multiple Steam accounts, B) when crafting a badge might net you a rare chance at a high valued emoticon/background to sell on the market that's worth more than the card set combined, and C) for when I might like a certain game badge for fun (but that's a rarity).

I've also increased my Steam level in the process, but I never had a certain level I was reaching towards. It just happened. I get a booster pack maybe once every 9-10 or so days, but to craft for an increase in booster drop rates is rather silly and trivial.

Thankfully I sold all my Snow Globes before the market just dropped like expected. The 1st 3-vote freebie cards definitely diluted the market. I expect the next big drop to happen tomorrow night. These cards will probably adjust to a .15-.20 average by Sunday/Monday is my guess.

Snowglobe freebies killed the market, for sure. I wonder if enough of them will burn off during the day so that they spike again before the next (3rd) vote in 24 hours?

I'm fairly happy I've unloaded all of mine so far.
Yea sold all mine beforehand and was pretty happy. They might go up again but there's also a lot of people who can't vote every time and there might just be a steady flow of free cards. Plus more cards from people buying games. And I assume the major buyers are going to get tired eventually. But who knows ^^

Also, voted for Hard Reset to piss off Spoder more.
Media is a subversive tool designed to maximize profit. You aren't supposed to feel comfortable with your body so you can get cosmetics and plastic surgery to be more accepted. We wouldn't have use for either sex or violence if both weren't so easy to extort for money. And after establishing a global market, I don't think it'll ever change back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back