CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh damn that's nice, but that's also a lot of TrackMania

Please tell be you've at least played the free version: TrackMania Nations Forever

if you haven't, go try it now.

TrackMania is all about short(ish) tracks and honing your times... They physics are simple but the whole package comes together nicely. Very accessible, but I don't think it's everyone's cuppa tea.
It's also BIG on custom made tracks and track creation. It's probably the BEST game of its kind for user made tracks.

To break it down more..

Trackmania Stadium is better suited for making crazy loops and shit, it has more variety when it comes to what sort of tricks you can pull off with the track design.

Trackmania Canyon is great for drifting. You can't really drift that well in Stadium or Valley, so if you love drifting, go with Canyon.

I can't comment much on Valley, since I haven't bought/played it. I think it'll take the most hit with GPU/CPU performance than the other 2, Stadium takes the lightest hit in comparison.

The store page says Jan. 3, and so did multiple people in this thread.

They're going to have a lot of pissed off people if the sale ends early on Jan 2nd. For one, I don't know if a lot of people realize that the globes are going away, but they do. However, if people think they're disappearing on the 3rd, and then they disappear on the 2nd, I expect a full on Steam riot.
According to the Globe FAQ, the sale ends Jan 3rd at 11 PST.
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/snowglobefaq

Edit: Now that I think about it, it says the cards disappear on the 3rd. Technically, that means the sale can still end on the 2nd I guess.

I only watched the trailer for the Trackmania Canyon title, but damn does it look hilariously fun. Ashes, would you be able to compare how the driving feels to any other, preferably console, racer? It looks arcade-like to me, but Is it like burnout or kart racer type or otherwise?

Edit: nevermind, I'll just check out the only demo on steam that I actually want to play :D

Oh damn that's nice, but that's also a lot of TrackMania

Please tell be you've at least played the free version: TrackMania Nations Forever

if you haven't, go try it now.

TrackMania is all about short(ish) tracks and honing your times... They physics are simple but the whole package comes together nicely. Very accessible, but I don't think it's everyone's cuppa tea.
Thanks, I'll give the free version a try now. The video that you posted looks like a blast to play. My interest is peaked.

Would make sense to have the cards last another day considering you can still earn them up to the final minutes of the sale via purchases.  Anyway, the globe cards are devaluing so fast by the time January 2nd/3rd rolls around they'll probably be about a nickel each as the sellers madly scramble to offload with dwindling interest from buyers.

Would make sense to have the cards last another day considering you can still earn them up to the final minutes of the sale via purchases.
You have not addressed the home page saying Jan. 3. It still does. If you are literally claiming that there is no way someone can be confused by this, you're nuts.

Would make sense to have the cards last another day considering you can still earn them up to the final minutes of the sale via purchases.
Indeed. Why I'd wait till the last minute anyway, I don't know. Unless I purposely want to bitch about something, which is always an option.

I WAS going to rationalize that the Steam sale only SEEMS lame because we have so many more games, but I honestly DO think this sale is not great. Especially the flash deals.

I WAS going to rationalize that the Steam sale only SEEMS lame because we have so many more games, but I honestly DO think this sale is not great. Especially the flash deals.
It's been pretty stale the last few years given how popular it has become. I didn't think it could get worse but these 5% increase boosts on $2.50 and below games as voting/flash options is beyond moronic.

I only watched the trailer for the Trackmania Canyon title, but damn does it look hilariously fun. Ashes, would you be able to compare how the driving feels to any other, preferably console, racer? It looks arcade-like to me, but Is it like burnout or kart racer type or otherwise?

Edit: nevermind, I'll just check out the only demo on steam that I actually want to play :D
It's pretty simple physics. It's really the track design and time limits, it all just comes together. Definitely watch the video, try the TMNF (free) version.

I'm okay with this set of flash sales. Got me the rest of the pinball tables @ 75% off (besides dr strange). Wasn't expecting to get any tables at that price heading into this sale, so I'm pretty good w/that.

So far, just from Steam, I have bought:

-Rest of the pinball fx 2 tables

-Legend of dungeon

-The Bridge

Got as gifts:

-Bioshock Infinite Season Pass

-Dishonored GOTY

-30 FLights of Loving

Overall I'm pretty happy I guess. It's been a surprising sale for me. I don't think I anticipated getting any of the above games headed into the sale

Would make sense to have the cards last another day considering you can still earn them up to the final minutes of the sale via purchases. Anyway, the globe cards are devaluing so fast by the time January 2nd/3rd rolls around they'll probably be about a nickel each as the sellers madly scramble to offload with dwindling interest from buyers.
Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for at least. It was great selling the globes for 40-60 cents a pop, but even at 20 cents they're still worth selling IMO considering I expect they will be a few cents a piece at some point. Naturally anything of worth that's crafted from the globe will also have been devalued by then as well, but I'm fine with that.

Yes. You are also using improper smilies.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping for at least. It was great selling the globes for 40-60 cents a pop, but even at 20 cents they're still worth selling IMO considering I expect they will be a few cents a piece at some point. Naturally anything of worth that's crafted from the globe will also have been devalued by then as well, but I'm fine with that.

Yeah I'm still selling mine. If the hit sub 10 cents I might consider crafting one. Buddy of mine got lucky early in the sale and got one of the rare TF2 backpacks. Sold it for $50ish worth of TF2 keys.

Here's what I want in the next sale--

All the pinball stuff I don't have yet: 75% off
Almost all of the tables and packs are 75% off currently. One of them went on a flash sale, and the others that were previously 50% off dropped to 75% off.

Note that the two packs that were 75% off (Star Wars Balance of the Force Pack and Ms. Splosion Man Table) both show prices of -$0.01 (negative one cent). However, you can't add those to your cart right now, or at least I haven't been able to. Presumably after this flash sale, they'll return to 75% off.

The Dr. Strange table still shows as full price.

It's been pretty stale the last few years given how popular it has become. I didn't think it could get worse but these 5% increase boosts on $2.50 and below games as voting/flash options is beyond moronic.
Agreed, for the CAG in all of us, these are a slap in the face. But for the average person popping onto steam - the game gets a "bigger" discount and a higher profile, which equates into more sales. This year it's more a gimmick than a good sale.

To the Pinball junkies/CAG,

Which DLCs (outside of those included in the Humble bundle) are especially worthwhile?  Star Wars Balance of the Force seems universally thumbed-up.  Anything else?

Regards,

"A CAG yet to go through all the tables in the Humble Bundle "

Which DLCs (outside of those included in the Humble bundle) are especially worthwhile?
[customspoiler='In depth analysis']
image.png
[/customspoiler]

So buying all those pinball tables is going to cost a ~$24. Seems like an awful lot given the prices of other content during the sale. Should I take the plunge or wait until another bundle comes along if ever? I'm a pinball fan (so feel free to invite me to your group!) and already have a few of these tables on 360 and PS3.

Quick question for you Steam/PC gurus...does Left 4 Dead 2 play fairly well on a Retina Macbook?

I'm stuck here at A-school and am looking for some compatible games for my laptop until I can get my consoles down here. 

Also, would it play well using movement keys and a mouse for looking around? I plan on using my Dualshock when I can get it, but until then, I have to make due with my mouse and the trackpad/keys, etc. Thanks!

Which DLCs (outside of those included in the Humble bundle) are especially worthwhile? Star Wars Balance of the Force seems universally thumbed-up. Anything else?

Regards,

I really enjoy the Excalibur table on the 360 version. Marvel table are all good. Mars is the weekest on the PC version.

So buying all those pinball tables is going to cost a ~$24. Seems like an awful lot given the prices of other content during the sale. Should I take the plunge or wait until another bundle comes along if ever? I'm a pinball fan (so feel free to invite me to your group!) and already have a few of these tables on 360 and PS3.
Did you miss the Humble Pinball bundle? I'd say there is zero chance we see something like that again, so -75% is likely the best you will get. If you are already a fan and want them on PC, there isn't much reason to hold off.

Quick question for you Steam/PC gurus...does Left 4 Dead 2 play fairly well on a Retina Macbook?

I'm stuck here at A-school and am looking for some compatible games for my laptop until I can get my consoles down here.

Also, would it play well using movement keys and a mouse for looking around? I plan on using my Dualshock when I can get it, but until then, I have to make due with my mouse and the trackpad/keys, etc. Thanks!
Left 4 Dead is powered by the source engine so it basically runs on anything. There are a ton of games that will run on that laptop (including L4D), if you give us some genres you like I'm sure there are people here happy to give suggestions. Finally, yes it's a FPS so it will play great with a keyboard and mouse, but trackpad is pushing it. I'd suggest getting a cheap USB mouse if you plan to play it that way, but otherwise you are good to go!

Skyrim and DLC haven't gone 75% off, so its been pretty lame. Even if it somehow did (no hope), I still feel this sale has been a drag. I didn't even get many gifts for my peeps this Xmas as I thought I would by now. There is still time.

Also, would it play well using movement keys and a mouse for looking around?
I just died a little inside. It's a PC game, of course it plays well with M+K. As far as the MacBook… probably. Source engine is fairly antiquated. It will run fine on a GPU as ancient as an Nvidia 9500 or perhaps similar integrated graphics. All of that said, wait until it's a daily/flash deal.

Skyrim and DLC haven't gone 75% off, so its been pretty lame. Even if it somehow did (no hope), I still feel this sale has been a drag. I didn't even get many gifts for my peeps this Xmas as I thought I would by now. There is still time.
Guilt tripping people into giving you something by gifting them a game first generally works ;)

Did you miss the Humble Pinball bundle? I'd say there is zero chance we see something like that again, so -75% is likely the best you will get. If you are already a fan and want them on PC, there isn't much reason to hold off.
Yup, missed it. Would have bought it had I seen it. Pretty much my thoughts on the bundle, not likely to come around again. Then again it was pretty recent so I suppose it could happen again. Who knows. PC discounts (especially in bundle form) are hard to predict.

Which DLCs (outside of those included in the Humble bundle) are especially worthwhile? Star Wars Balance of the Force seems universally thumbed-up. Anything else?

Regards,

I'd recommend Captain America and Marvel Vengeance & Virtue as the standouts. Cap'n is a great combination of challenge and fun, V&V has 2 excellent tables in Moon Knight and Thor, not overly fond of Ghost Rider or X-Men though. After those, MsSplosion Man, Fantastic Four, Excalibur, Civil War, and Mars, in that order. Balance of the Force is probably the best overall, so if you haven't picked it up, get it when it resets back to 75%.

I think it's rather unlikely to see another bundle featuring FX2 DLC tables. If you missed the humble bundle and want to take a dip in the pinball world, Balance of the Force and Marvel Avengers Chronicles are the two best packs to get. For single tables, go Epic Quest and maybe Cap'n America or Earth Defense. Also, post or PM me your steam id and i'll toss an invite.

I just died a little inside. It's a PC game, of course it plays well with M+K. As far as the MacBook… probably. Source engine is fairly antiquated. It will run fine on a GPU as ancient as an Nvidia 9500 or perhaps similar integrated graphics. All of that said, wait until it's a daily/flash deal.
Haha...my apologies. I just see all the guys at our on-base hangout playing most of their computer games using their Xbox controller or PS3 controller, and since I've only played the L4Ds on Xbox, I figured it would work better with a controller, not to mention I'm going to be horribly new to using the W,A,S, and D keys for the most part.

Left 4 Dead is powered by the source engine so it basically runs on anything. There are a ton of games that will run on that laptop (including L4D), if you give us some genres you like I'm sure there are people here happy to give suggestions. Finally, yes it's a FPS so it will play great with a keyboard and mouse, but trackpad is pushing it. I'd suggest getting a cheap USB mouse if you plan to play it that way, but otherwise you are good to go!
Alright, awesome! And yea, I bought a wireless Logitech mouse the other day, so I'm good on the USB mouse.

As far as genres go, horror and adventure RPGs. I downloaded KOTOR off the app store since I never have played it (utter sin, I know!), and I downloaded the new indie game Haunted Memories off Steam earlier today. Also downloaded LOTR online. Figured I'd test out a MMORPG while I have the opportunity.

Alright, awesome! And yea, I bought a wireless Logitech mouse the other day, so I'm good on the USB mouse.

As far as genres go, horror and adventure RPGs. I downloaded KOTOR off the app store since I never have played it (utter sin, I know!), and I downloaded the new indie game Haunted Memories off Steam earlier today. Also downloaded LOTR online. Figured I'd test out a MMORPG while I have the opportunity.
Just a last comment about L4D: wait for it to pop up as a daily/flash/community deal since it always goes for -75%. The general consensus is also to just get 2, but that's for you to decide I suppose.

In terms of games that you might be into that should run on your laptop (it seems to use Intel Iris graphics, if I am looking at the same laptop you have):

RPGs

• The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
  • Torchlight 1/2
  • Titan Quest
  • Bualders Gate Enhanced 1/2
  • Mass Effect 1/2
  • Fallout 3/New Vegas
Horror

• Amnesia The Dark Descent
  • System Shock 2
  • Killing Floor (sense you like L4D)
  • F.E.A.R 1/2/3

I'm sure there are more but I have to run so I can't go into detail. Hopefully this gives you some ideas though to start you on your path to the master race ^_^

I have a MacBook AIr, (though I usually game on my PC). Source Engine games are incredibly well optimized, and should run very well. You can try for yourself with Team Fortress 2 (free), also a Source Engine game.

Just a last comment about L4D: wait for it to pop up as a daily/flash/community deal since it always goes for -75%. The general consensus is also to just get 2, but that's for you to decide I suppose.

In terms of games that you might be into that should run on your laptop (it seems to use Intel Iris graphics, if I am looking at the same laptop you have):

RPGs

• The Elder Scrolls Oblivion
  • Torchlight 1/2
  • Titan Quest
  • Bualders Gate Enhanced 1/2
  • Mass Effect 1/2
  • Fallout 3/New Vegas
Horror

• Amnesia The Dark Descent
  • System Shock 2
  • Killing Floor (sense you like L4D)
  • F.E.A.R 1/2/3

I'm sure there are more but I have to run so I can't go into detail. Hopefully this gives you some ideas though to start you on your path to the master race ^_^
Well a lot of those AAA titles I've played and beaten on Xbox or PS3, but I WAS looking at Amnesia today. The compatibility section showed it didnt support Intel integrated graphics, but I'm hoping I can just alter the screen resolution or something. It is only $3.99 after all, and I've heard its a great horror title. I wanted to snatch up Witcher 2 for $5, but severallll people on a gaming board told me it wouldnt play optimized for my screen, and that it would look like crap, not to mention would work my laptop to death..and that was totally understandable because i know that game is a graphics whore.

Thanks for the tip on L4D2 (the one I was going to get anyways aha!). I'll hold out and save myself $15!

I have a MacBook AIr, (though I usually game on my PC). Source Engine games are incredibly well optimized, and should run very well. You can try for yourself with Team Fortress 2 (free), also a Source Engine game.
Awesome! L4D series are some of my favorite games, not to mention they're really the only game of their type right now that does everything right. i'm sure you know what I'm getting at). Kept thinking I'd have to rebuy a 360 to play them, but when I saw today that they run on Mac, I was pretty stoked!

At 10AM on Jan. 2 PST tell me what the date and time will be in Hong Kong. Valve is likely using a static backdrop on it's site across regions.
and you think that's NOT a mistake? the main hub of your store showing one date and other portions showing another, for the largest target audience they have? i understand time zones, i'm not an idiot

CLARIFICATION EDIT: I am an idiot, but for different reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back