CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Skyrim > all your other games?
It would, if I bought it.

All this chatter about weak sales...how about something for free? I'm going to switch things up and have a guessing game.

Those that are involved in Late Night with tebow are unfortunately excluded as they may already know the answer.
Please only guess if you can use all or most of the gift.

Question: What primary ethnicity/ethnicities am I? (Sorry, changed to use the proper terminology. 8-[ )

Reward: Valve Complete Pack (Steam Key)
Krogan and Korean. Could you imagine them biotic detonation combos....

Korean/italian
And we have a winner! I'll shoot you a PM.

Korean Italian? That's a spicy cabbage!
Correct, but just barely beaten out.

Edit: It's been forever since I've had kimchi.

Sorry, no consolation prizes today. But thanks to everyone who played along.

Italian/Korean? Which is more dominant? Or is that getting to in-depth?
Italian is more culturally dominant, but I'd say Korean is slightly more dominant by appearance.

Well that was a fun way to kill a few minutes, now back to throwing my money at Valve.

Is $2 a good deal for Hotline Miami?  Well, yeah it's a good deal, but is it likely to get better anytime soon.  I already got suckered out of a dollar on Beat Hazard a few days ago and now I'm paranoid.

Well that was a fun way to kill a few minutes, now back to throwing my money at Valve.

Is $2 a good deal for Hotline Miami? Well, yeah it's a good deal, but is it likely to get better anytime soon. I already got suckered out of a dollar on Beat Hazard a few days ago and now I'm paranoid.
Are you saying $2 for a good game isn't enough? I'm picking it up before time runs out. I'll wait till the last moment, just to make this steam sale fun again.

Is $2 a good deal for Hotline Miami? Well, yeah it's a good deal, but is it likely to get better anytime soon. I already got suckered out of a dollar on Beat Hazard a few days ago and now I'm paranoid.
It's a pretty safe bet It will be in a bundle at some point but at $2 it's a good deal if you plan on playing it relatively soon. I know if your backlog looks like mine that probably won't happen. It is a hell of a fun game though.

Outside of a bundle (HIB8) and free for PS+, I'd say yeah as it's the lowest it's been (assuming you don't count the free glitch on last year's Amazon EC list).

Hotline Miami is real good

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqS51B4sdGc[/youtube]

I'm a bit late, but Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!
I can't give the community much this year, but I do have some spare games I can give out. 
PM me if you see anything from the list below that you'd like. Priority goes to the old-timers and active members of the community that I recognize first. 

• King's Bounty: The Legend
  • Satazius
  • NightSky HD
  • Brazen Prototype
  • Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery
  • Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45
  • Fairy Bloom Freesia
  • Two Worlds II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria II
  • Space Pirates and Zombies
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Warlock: Masters of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Greed Corp
  • Star Wolves 3: Civil War
  • Hammerfight
  • The 39 Steps
  • Hacker Evolution Duality
  • Orcs Must Die GOTY
  • Faerie Solitaire
  • Little Inferno
  • Gemini Rue
  • Overlord and Overlord Raising Hell
  • Overlord II
  • The Bard's Tale
  • Solar 2

But this implies that Steam hasn't been popular the last few years which is pretty much the opposite of the truth. If anything these other stores are cutting into their income and Steam is LESS popular now than ever.
In what way is Steam less popular now than ever?

Yes, it's a good deal. It's already been Humble Bundled and it has sold really well since. I'd be surprised to see it in another decent bundle anytime soon.

Didn't like Beat Hazard? It's a pretty well-regarded game and I know I enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, it's a good deal. It's already been Humble Bundled and it has sold really well since. I'd be surprised to see it in another decent bundle anytime soon.
This. It's a good deal, barring the chance of it being a second-week addition in HIB... but they aren't tossing as many darn repeats in the 2nd week additions, I feel.

SONOFABITCH

I saw it at 75% and then came here to catch up and then 10m later see this and be reminded of that shit and confirm hopes deleted.

Every time! Changing back to 50% just discourages me from buying the DLC even when I'm flush with Steam wallet.
It happens every time, so I just buy any non-cosmetic DLC whenever it hits 75% off or lower - it doesn't affect whether or not I want it. However, it does affect my interest in the cosmetic stuff. I usually have a careful look at the skins before buying, and when they're flip-flopping the DLC prices, I can't be bothered checking if it may be double the price by the time I'm done.

I am inclined to support Tripwire by buying DLC, but this crap drives me nuts. Is it really them, though, or Valve? I'm gonna see if I can't get an answer out of that Tripwire employee on the Steam forums.
It's Tripwire. They have the final say over the discount.

All this chatter about weak sales...how about something for free? I'm going to switch things up and have a guessing game.

Those that are involved in Late Night with tebow are unfortunately excluded as they may already know the answer.
Please only guess if you can use all or most of the gift.

Question: What primary ethnicity/ethnicities am I? (Sorry, changed to use the proper terminology. 8-[ )

Reward: Valve Complete Pack (Steam Key)

Gone.
2 things:

-Can tebow replace letterman on late night? Tell me that wouldn't be wayyy more entertaining

-You're oompa loompa. That's not a guess, I just know.

Any opinions on Monaco and Spelunky? I'm going to assume one of those 2 is going to win the community vote.  I always see Monaco and get tempted to buy it, but I'm afraid it's multiplayer only? Is it that true, or is there any single player content in it?

Any opinions on Monaco and Spelunky? I'm going to assume one of those 2 is going to win the community vote. I always see Monaco and get tempted to buy it, but I'm afraid it's multiplayer only? Is it that true, or is there any single player content in it?
Both are good games. Spelunky is ABSOLUTELY worth the buy. Very fun, very addicting. Monaco can be played single player, but you'll need to play offline or create a private lobby (both are easily done) to prevent people from joining your game. It's a lot more difficult (but still fun) single player. Both are good, Spelunky is the better of the two.

I had voted for Spelunky and if it wins I'm strongly considering to buy it to wash away the horrid feel that La-Mulana gave me. Glad to know it's getting such high praise!

Well, you've just helped explain why Steam's sale pricing is getting progressively weaker :D

I'm not blaming you directly, of course. But Steam has found other ways to entice consumers to stay in their system even with sub-standard sale pricing. Cards are genius. I buy a card from you for $5.25 and Valve takes 25¢ of that and gives you $5 in credit. Which you use to buy a $5 game. Valve just made 25¢ over the sale price of the game just by flagging a cheap .jpg image to Account B instead of Account A. And you think you got a "free" game so you love it and some other chump has... a badge.

(prices and percentages for illustration purposes)
Would have been better to use real figures. Valve would make $0.67 off a card that someone bought for $5.25.

Forgot that most of the fee goes to the dev. Valve would make $0.22, the developer would make $0.45, and you'd get $4.58

Didn't like Beat Hazard? It's a pretty well-regarded game and I know I enjoyed it a lot.
Someone didn't like Beat Hazard? :error:

Don't hesitate for a second to buy Spelunky. It's a great game.
Unless you'll hate yourself if it appears in a bundle within a year.

I can buy Skyrim with GabeN money... BUT

1) Will be vanilla, no legendary. And as far as I know, Bethesda doesn't like to discount their DLC too much and ALWAYS is cheaper to buy the "special" edition

2) I'm playing The Secret World, and is really addictive. Maybe it will compete with Skyrim if I bought it. Both are "full time games" xD

3) Haven't finished Oblivion (didn't catch me that much, maybe because the leveling system)

4) Want to buy Spelunky ;)

I can buy Skyrim with GabeN money... BUT

1) Will be vanilla, no legendary. And as far as I know, Bethesda doesn't like to discount their DLC too much and ALWAYS is cheaper to buy the "special" edition.
If you plan to use mods then know that quite a few require that the DLC is present. It's the same with all of their games when it comes to mods...just better to have the complete edition for mod compatibility.

edit: I just looked and Falskaar does not require anything beyond vanilla so that'd be a good large-scale mod to start with using vanilla.

If you plan to use mods then know that quite a few require that the DLC is present. It's the same with all of their games when it comes to mods...just better to have the complete edition for mod compatibility.
I plan to play it vanilla first, then mod it. But I don't know if the story is that great to play it straight before modding it

Well, I gave in to temptation and pulled the trigger on Hotline Miami...and of course my crap computer crashes out of it.  *sigh*  This is why I never buy anything.

I plan to play it vanilla first, then mod it. But I don't know if the story is that great to play it straight before modding it
I always recommend a "vanilla" run with SkyUI and Unofficial Skyrim Patch. Makes the UI so much better for PC and gets rid of a lot of bugs Bethesda left in the game. Also, go ahead and add any graphic mods your PC can handle, if you're into that.

After your first playthrough, go nuts.

Definitely use the Unofficial Patch as it fixes a lot of what Bethesda left broken while maintaining a pure experience. Other than that you might want to use one of the UI mods if you plan to play on keyboard/mouse. (if on a pad then the default UI, I think, is better)

I'm actually real big on having a developer intended type of experience on the first playthrough so sticking with the above and not much else will give you just that. :joystick:

edit: Haha. Yeah what Psydero said.

But... with all that I pointed before... should I but it NOW or just wait for the complete version to go cheaper... or at least end my TSW's addiction? xD

But... with all that I pointed before... should I but it NOW or just wait for the complete version to go cheaper... or at least end my TSW's addiction? xD
Not having the Skyrim DLC isn't a mod killer by any means. Most mods have a DLC/vanilla version, and if they don't, you'll probably be able to find a different mod that accomplishes similar results. Basegame is fine.

Honestly, I'd stick with TSW for now. You've already waited two years for Skyrim, why buy the half-assed version now?

Despite the base game being great, you know you'll regret not having the DLC.

I'd wait for a cheaper complete version. TSW is awesome and better than Rimjob anyways so you'll have plenty of hours to put into it.

If you plan on getting the DLC at some point, the Legendary edition will be cheaper now or later. I would only consider getting the vanilla version if you have no intention whatsoever on getting DLC.

This dumb now it doesn't recognize my steam wallet. Just perfect. Can I not participate in this sale, Gaben? Really?

Massive Ed, was glitched to $20 for a while during the flash, but corrected to $30. Even at $30 it's the best TSW deal (assuming you like and want the extra issues... $30 of issues). Base hit $10 during the flash, and (non-steam) hits $10 base periodically.

The safest advise is watch for another glitch on massive if TSW gets another flash/community/daily, else wait for the last day (2 Jan)

My opinion on Skyrim "complete" is tainted by the fact that I think the DLC is bad.  They're nice additional quests, but i'm probably going to disable them both in my next playthrough.

374781_sc_03_medium.jpg

Massive Ed, was glitched to $20 for a while during the flash, but corrected to $30. Even at $30 it's the best TSW deal (assuming you like and want the extra issues... $30 of issues). Base hit $10 during the flash, and (non-steam) hits $10 base periodically.

The safest advise is watch for another glitch on massive if TSW gets another flash/community/daily, else wait for the last day (2 Jan)
... but I was talking about Skyrim xD

Already have TSW (normal version) and I'm addicted to it. Now that we're on the subject... I read somewhere sometime ago that you can buy Issues with in-game money instead of real money. Is that real? (I'm still on kingsmouth, I'm taking my time)

If you plan on getting the DLC at some point, the Legendary edition will be cheaper now or later. I would only consider getting the vanilla version if you have no intention whatsoever on getting DLC.
I'm obsesive with complete versions of good games (not MP/skins stuff, just SP)

Already have TSW (normal version) and I'm addicted to it. Now that we're on the subject... I read somewhere sometime ago that you can buy Issues with in-game money instead of real money. Is that real? (I'm still on kingsmouth, I'm taking my time)
You get 1200 funcom points after completing 30 missions that you can use to buy 1 issue.

Any decent racing games on Steam 15 bucks or less? I already have Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, and GRID on 360, looking for something else, dont matter if it's sim or arcadey

<vague> I don't think so <unsure>...

^_^ For me Massive ed was a nice way to grab the extra issues, get it steam, and have an extra TSW base key.

Any decent racing games on Steam 15 bucks or less? I already have Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, and GRID on 360, looking for something else, dont matter if it's sim or arcadey
y u not get trackmania when it was a flash sale.

It's not a typical racing game though..

My opinion on Skyrim "complete" is tainted by the fact that I think the DLC is bad. They're nice additional quests, but i'm probably going to disable them both in my next playthrough.
Whats worse is they made and announced plans beyond Dragonborn and never went through with it. They can say whatever they want, but its true. All of that stopped so they can get Skyrim DLC working for PS3 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back