CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
I see now, thanks.  You could "upgrade" it in past, but don't see an option for that now.  Guess I'm stuck with aged vanilla for now.

>>>For now as in, I'm expecting it (option to upgrade to new version) to return once the sale is over but I could be wrong!

You can technically upgrade but Squeenix is so crappy the 'upgrade' costs the same as buying the game all over again during sales.

Posterity
noun

1.succeeding or future generations collectively: Judgment of this age must be left to posterity.

2.all descendants of one person: His fortune was gradually dissipated by his posterity.

8Hzq3VH.png

There's one thing that really bothered me about TDU. No, it's not the randomly spawning NPC cars that somehow always appear over that crest as you ram into them and lose health; no, it's not that they randomly change lanes and turn or swerve in your direction; it's not even the dumb itinerary planning that is unchangeable to include untraveled roads, or the way you can choose 14 kinds of paint jobs but can't set custom gear ratios or change tires.

No, the thing that really irks me is the car-specific shit. Dude wants me to drive a POS Camaro Z28 15 miles to a safe location without hitting anything or going off the road? I'd rather pay him to get a better car. It's cute that they want you to drive well for 30 minutes, but it's not fun when you can't catch an NPC caravan to pass it. Man, I got a Ducati and a McLaren, and I have to complete these shit sidequests to level up.

And you're welcome for picking you hitchhikers and models up and driving you to your destinations in those unrealistic allotted times. No need to be a dick to me if a tire happens to go in the ditch momentarily, I'm just trying to go 14 miles in 5 minutes like you asked. Oh, and thanks for paying with coupons for fuckING CLOTHES.

has anybody chimed in on Gone Home yet? Is it worth it?
I'd say it's most definitely worth it if you don't mind that it takes only around 2 hours to complete. The story and atmosphere in the house is pretty awesome and I would recommend this game.

TL;DR psst... wait for 140 to be bundled.

So, I took the late night plunge and picked up 140 from the humble bundle store. I had the urge to play a rhythmic platformer and I gambled on it. Word to the wise, wait for it to be bundled. Even $0.99 feels like a bit too much here. This game shouts being bundled and I apparently ignored the tell tale signs... {sigh}

It's too short and not too terribly difficult. The controls are simple (arrow keys/space bar) and easy enough to use. You're a square (standing), Circle (moving), and Triangle (jumping) making your way through each stage to find a small two-color filled circle. This circle is the key to moving on to the next stage by unlocking some warp doorway that takes you to a new beat & the next two-colored stage.

I ended up beating it in 63 minutes on the first playthrough. Then I attempted to run through the game again to pickup the last 3 trophies to be a completionist but I'm too tired, and apparently not enthralled enough to give up sleep to continue onward. If I had to compare this game to anything it's closest comp might be Thomas Was Alone & Sound Shapes in a very loose way. It's too bad there are only three main levels/worlds and overall it comes up short in my opinion. I'll give credit to Jeppe Carlsen, the sole creator of 140, but I would've liked to see more of everything on what this game had to offer. Carlsen was the lead designer on Limbo and I could see a little of that bleed out into 140.

[customspoiler='I kind of feel like this right now']
gifs_07.gif

[/customspoiler]

Nothing for me this round, those that picked up Sanctum 2 from Humble Bundle earlier may want to pick up the season pass but it was slightly cheaper during Autumn sale.

WTF is Dream anyway?

Well, my success for the day was finally getting my DS3 to connect to my laptop via bluetooth and work. My old wired 360 controller started crapping out on me and I was in the market for a new one, but then I said why spend money when I have an extra DS3 laying around and a bluetooth dongle my bro in law sent me.  

It took a while because apparently my on board bluetooth isn't compatible with motioninjoy, but the dongle worked fine and I just tested it on State of Decay and Brothers and ran smooth with no issues.  Love being able to play with a wireless controller on the laptop!

oh and who was the first to ask for Divekick? I'd go back but that's way too many pages to go through

honor system

and I bought insurgency. i want a shooter.

WTF is Dream anyway?

Well, my success for the day was finally getting my DS3 to connect to my laptop via bluetooth and work. My old wired 360 controller started crapping out on me and I was in the market for a new one, but then I said why spend money when I have an extra DS3 laying around and a bluetooth dongle my bro in law sent me.

It took a while because apparently my on board bluetooth isn't compatible with motioninjoy, but the dongle worked fine and I just tested it on State of Decay and Brothers and ran smooth with no issues. Love being able to play with a wireless controller on the laptop!
Check out Better DS3. I prefer it over MiJ's interface.

• I've got Strike Suit Zero.
  • Steam Marines is multiplayer only.
  • Kinetic Void seems kind of interesting but has the lowest discount.
  • This round two of the three Community Vote games are in beta.
**covers eyes and clicks**
Steam Marines is not multiplayer only. Vote Steam Marines ... Strike Suit has been bundled and Kinetic Void is so many degrees of broken it's not even funny.

EDIT: Maybe SSZ hasn't been bundled .. but I have it somehow and I know I didn't buy it outright ...

• Steam Marines is multiplayer only.
I voted SSZ because it's the better choice and the other two are early access (yes, I know it already got a flash or something..)

Steam Marines says single player.   Voted for that.  Potential fundle border but with Early Access it'll be a while.

Steam Marines is not multiplayer only. Vote Steam Marines ... Strike Suit has been bundled and Kinetic Void is so many degrees of broken it's not even funny.
Oh thank you! Insurgency was burned into my brain from the Flash Sales. (boo mp only!)

As luck would have it... my team of blindfolded monkeys voted for Steam Marines.

Kinetic Void is made by one guy and seems like it'll probably take forever to get to release.  So… vote Steam Marines, bros!

Also, question: Sanctum 2 Season Pass worth it at $3?  Gotta be honest, didn't like Sanctum 1 that much and the demo for 2 didn't impress me.  But since I got the base game for pennies in the HIB… hmmmm

WTF is Dream anyway?

It took a while because apparently my on board bluetooth isn't compatible with motioninjoy, but the dongle worked fine and I just tested it on State of Decay and Brothers and ran smooth with no issues. Love being able to play with a wireless controller on the laptop!
I kind of wish the 360 wireless connection thingy was a dongle.

I had to dig into my purchase history to find it, but the $5 indie bundles debuted in the Friends & Family sale of November 2010, when they were doing 6-/8-/10-packs of games for stupid cheap. I bought 3 of the $5 bundles and one included the infamous $1 (if you average the game price out) Recettear. Man people were mad they missed that.

Digging into the purchase history of my account also showed me that I bought my first STALKER game over 4 years ago and have yet to play it. Thanks CAG.

I remember a period where GoGamer had way too much stock of this or something and seemed to be constantly selling it for $0.99 or tacking it onto orders for free.
I miss GoGamer :\ Got some cheap stuff from them, like the previously-UK-only boxed copy of the Sacred 2 expansion that I was going to hack into the original game.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 is one of those games where whenever it goes on sale I wonder why I don't already own it. *clicks through to the store page*

"3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
4 machine activation limit"

Oh right...that's why. :cry:
This remains the dumbest reason I've heard not to buy a game. Has anyone on this forum actually run into this in reality? And no, "it would have been a problem last week for me" doesn't count.

^_^ Thanks all. In appreciation here is a picture of my [customspoiler="two booby."]
[/customspoiler]
I admit I clicked. Sue me. [customspoiler="And then sue me for this!"]
krieger_smokebomb.gif
[/customspoiler]

For anyone that likes turn based strategy game like X-Com or Jagged Allegiance, Silent Storm Gold Edition is now going for $2 at GMG. The turn based game has received many positive reviews, use GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49 for the voucher when you check out.

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive is also $1 after voucher.
Thanks for the tip. It's come to the point where I had to check my bundle key spreadsheet to make sure I didn't already have it :\

re: not buying a game due to activation limits

This remains the dumbest reason I've heard not to buy a game. Has anyone on this forum actually run into this in reality? And no, "it would have been a problem last week for me" doesn't count.
Every time this subject comes up somewhere some apologist feels the need to belittle the person not wanting to get saddled with unnecessary, dranconian, antiquated DRM and tell them it won't happen so it doesn't matter etc.

While I don't have this particular game, I have gotten locked of out games before due to activation limits and I have read many, many accounts over the years at various places from others who got locked out of a game they legitimately own. It's really ignorant to assume that because something never happened to you that it never happens to anyone. It can and does happen. There have even been examples of gaming press getting locked out of a game due to activation limits, like the Guru 3D and Anno 2070 incident a couple of years ago.

Even besides the reality that it does happen, and it does, there's the principle. Paying customers should not be treated this way and subject to ridiculous, unnecessary and antiquated limitations when much more flexible account based DRM has long since replaced the old activation limit DRM. In this case the game is on Steam and that is acting as DRM and should suffice. To continue to buy games on Steam with 3rd party DRM with activation limits is giving a message that sort of thing is okay and acceptable and that's something that myself and many other people just don't agree with.

Yes, I realize it's an old game but they can patch the DRM out or even just raise the activation limit to some very high number. Anything in the 3-5 range is not that much and some people will realistically hit it which is just not an acceptable thing to put paying customers through as far as I am concerned.

I may not ever hit it for this or other games but I might. I don't want to have to worry about it. Not when there's so many other games out there. This practice is not something I want to support. If you disagree and don't care that's your decision but I think it's really rude to call other people stupid for not wanting to deal with or worry about activation limits. It's something I routinely look out for and I believe it's a valid concern.

re: not buying a game due to activation limits

Every time this subject comes up somewhere some apologist feels the need to belittle the person not wanting to get saddled with unnecessary, dranconian, antiquated DRM and tell them it won't happen so it doesn't matter etc.

While I don't have this particular game, I have gotten locked of out games before due to activation limits and I have read many, many accounts over the years at various places from others who got locked out of a game they legitimately own. It's really ignorant to assume that because something never happened to you that it never happens to anyone. It can and does happen. There have even been examples of gaming press getting locked out of a game due to activation limits, like the Guru 3D and Anno 2070 incident a couple of years ago.

Even besides the reality that it does happen, and it does, there's the principle. Paying customers should not be treated this way and subject to ridiculous, unnecessary and antiquated limitations when much more flexible account based DRM has long since replaced the old activation limit DRM. In this case the game is on Steam and that is acting as DRM and should suffice. To continue to buy games on Steam with 3rd party DRM with activation limits is giving a message that sort of thing is okay and acceptable and that's something that myself and many other people just don't agree with.

Yes, I realize it's an old game but they can patch the DRM out or even just raise the activation limit to some very high number. Anything in the 3-5 range is not that much and some people will realistically hit it which is just not an acceptable thing to put paying customers through as far as I am concerned.

I may not ever hit it for this or other games but I might. I don't want to have to worry about it. Not when there's so many other games out there. This practice is not something I want to support. If you disagree and don't care that's your decision but I think it's really rude to call other people stupid for not wanting to deal with or worry about activation limits. It's something I routinely look out for and I believe it's a valid concern.
Combined with the fact that the people most affected by DRM like this, are the very people who are constantly upgrading their systems, or OS reinstalling. Hell, I kill my OS partition and reload from scratch every 3-6 months as a policy (think that's stupid? You don't realize how slow your system gets because it happens so gradually. Do a fresh install and be shocked how everything pulls up "instantly"). That makes it an anti-piracy measure that is specifically designed to be triggered by the customers who are the most likely to purchase their product (gamers). Anywho, I noticed that the following two games were on 75% discount with the current Flash, and I seem to remember them having some air of rarity among them, but I can't put my finger on it.

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War: Soulstorm $4.99

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War: Dark Crusade $4.99

I have with Risen on Steam which used to use Tages. It absolutely ruined my experience with the game and it completely soured me on the franchise as a whole. Tages has since been removed and I still won't play the game because of how rotten it was trying to avoid the activation limit.

Never again...no Tages, no SecuROM, no activation or download limits ever again for me. If a company wants me to purchase their game then those are my terms. I'm not going to be punished with activation/install/download limits while the pirates are having a limit-free experience with your game. All that shit does is hurt legitimate users.

edit: I'm an edge-case for activation limits. I get that. But I'm talking about a DRM system which allowed for 3 machines and had no revoke tool. Do people really think that that wouldn't be a problem?

DRM is certainly a factor in my purchasing decision ever since I couldn't get Manhunt to work on my PC because of DRM. Rockstar has a history of poor ports to the PC and if it wasn't for the help of a CAG here who helped strip out the DRM in the game executable, I would've wasted money on an unplayable game.

So yeah, not buying a game because of DRM is a legit reason. Just because YOU never experience any problems doesn't mean problems with DRM doesn't exist. One reason why I'm prefering purchasing at GOG more and more even though their games are slightly more expensive.

I didn't say "this never happened to me, so clearly it's a false fear".  I asked for examples of it actually happening in regular use cases and you guys came through.  I still won't let it prevent me from buying a game, especially for $5, but that's me.  

I was really hoping for more reactions to SMOKE BOMB, but I hit the thread during a down time.

• Steam Marines is multiplayer only. <-- No! Bad monkey!
(1) Click each game

(2) See how many friends have on their want list

(3) Pick game the most friends want

(4) Not my fault if it's a shitty game, blame my friends. I'm just trying to help them out.

Yeah, like I said, I know that I'm a crazy person when it comes to just randomly trying out some new OS/config/whatever but a ways back Tages activations were setup in a way where the only way that you could get back an activation was to wait 30 days. So if you just happened to hit that machine limit for whatever reason then it was = see ya next month game.

I have with Risen on Steam which used to use Tages. It absolutely ruined my experience with the game and it completely soured me on the franchise as a whole. Tages has since been removed and I still won't play the game because of how rotten it was trying to avoid the activation limit.

Never again...no Tages, no SecuROM, no activation or download limits ever again for me. If a company wants me to purchase their game then those are my terms. I'm not going to be punished with activation/install/download limits while the pirates are having a limit-free experience with your game. All that shit does is hurt legitimate users.

edit: I'm an edge-case for activation limits. I get that. But I'm talking about a DRM system which allowed for 3 machines and had no revoke tool. Do people really think that that wouldn't be a problem?
I wouldn't give up on Risen 2 just yet but the first game--well, you didn't miss much.

I didn't say "this never happened to me, so clearly it's a false fear". I asked for examples of it actually happening in regular use cases and you guys came through. I still won't let it prevent me from buying a game, especially for $5, but that's me.

"Has anyone on this forum actually run into this in reality? And no, "it would have been a problem last week for me" doesn't count."

I was really hoping for more reactions to SMOKE BOMB, but I hit the thread during a down time.

So a troll post to get attention :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back