CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read Alice & Kev a week or two ago which is a blog about a homeless father and daughter in Sims 3. Worth reading whether you care about Sims or not and really made me want to play it although, with a clearer mind, I realize that I'd probably never do anything remotely as interesting and just make my guys pee themselves in the closet or something.

I should mention that I know the blog is dramatized for the sake of narrative and that the author was involved in directing the Sims. Still a better story than anything I'd do.
I'm not really creative enough to do anything like this. In most games I play a slightly more dickish version of myself (most people can't tell the difference).

Rust

I've put in over 40 hours in this guy the past couple of weeks and I've had some good fun. I think the problem most people have is they join these huge official servers with a large established population and, naturally, get killed moments after spawning in.

I think the best bet is to join a newer, low population server and get established, explore and learn the basics. From there you can stay on that server and play a more chilled out version of the game, or take what you've learned to bigger servers.

The game is definitely a challenge to new players, but with over 4000 servers there's a wide variety of communities out there. If anyone is really interested in a low population, pvp, vanilla server, I have a friend running one we play on right now. There are maybe 10-12 total players and anywhere between 0-6 at a given time. We try to give new guys a chance to get established before taking them out, unless they shoot first. But it's pretty fun and laid back. Your best bet on any server is to find out where most people are at, then find a place away from there. Anywho, if anyone wants that server ip I can get it for you.

Rust

I've put in over 40 hours in this guy the past couple of weeks and I've had some good fun. I think the problem most people have is they join these huge official servers with a large established population and, naturally, get killed moments after spawning in.

I think the best bet is to join a newer, low population server and get established, explore and learn the basics.
After playing on the official servers, I joined a smaller private server that marketed itself as "newbie friendly" in the description. It was an interesting change. I was able to build up much better and accomplish more starting out. On the flip side, once people did locate me it seemed like everyone was hostile. When you heard someone shuffling about in the dark on the public server, it was often a half-naked guy just trying to find a place to light a secluded fire and survive the night. On the private server, it was invariably bandits trying to turn you into a Brinks Home Security commercial.

There's some gems in the mix. Marc Ecko's Getting Up is 75% off and that truck racing game is 70% off.
Hm.. Devolver Digital and Plug in Digital. I'll wait for them to be bundled.

If Mark Ecko's Getting Up wasn't published by Devolver, I'd probably have bought it.

I think I finally have my newest bundle keys sorted out!  Here are my extras so PM me if you want something.  I'm sure Fez will go quick.   :lol:

GONE ---> Trainz Simulator 12 + Settle & Carlisle (Steam keys from IG and BundleStars)

GONE ---> Fez (Steam gift link from HB)

GONE ---> Interstellar Marines (Steam key from IG)

Rush Bros (Steam key from IG)

GONE ---> Beast Boxing Turbo (Steam key from IG)

GONE ---> Dynamite Jack (Steam key from IG) 

Daily Deal
Receiver - $4.99 $1.69

Weeklong Deals
Blackguards - $39.99 $35.99
Droplitz - $4.99 $2.49
Supreme Commander Gold Edition - $19.99 $4.99 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Unity of Command: Stalingrad Campaign - $19.99 $4.99
Truck Racer - $29.99 $9.00
The Ironclads Collection - $49.95 $12.48 [customspoiler=Includes][/customspoiler]
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout - $14.99 $7.49
The Inner World - $14.99 $7.49
Continue?9876543210 - $9.99 $5.99
Hexodius - $9.99 $3.39
Avencast: Rise of the Mage - $9.99 $2.49
Making History: The Calm & the Storm - $4.99 $1.24
Marc Eckō's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure - $14.99 $3.75
Violett - $9.99 $4.99
Aliens vs. Predator™ - $14.99 $3.74
Condemned: Criminal Origins - $14.99 $3.75
Waking Mars - $9.99 $2.00
Stronghold 3 Gold - $29.99 $14.99
Greed: Black Border - $4.99 $0.49

After playing on the official servers, I joined a smaller private server that marketed itself as "newbie friendly" in the description. It was an interesting change. I was able to build up much better and accomplish more starting out. On the flip side, once people did locate me it seemed like everyone was hostile. When you heard someone shuffling about in the dark on the public server, it was often a half-naked guy just trying to find a place to light a secluded fire and survive the night. On the private server, it was invariably bandits trying to turn you into a Brinks Home Security commercial.
That's the flipside problem of smaller servers. A lot of people know each other and won't kill each other, so they work together to hunt down anyone they don't recognize.Rust is best played as a coop game with a friend to work with and watch your back. It's much easier for 2 or more guys to quickly build a secure shelter than one guy on his own.

But would that automatically put them in the official Steam weeklong sales list?

Groupees here we come!
Yes, afaik you can choose to participate on weeklong deals automatically. In fact, there is a few games not even listed yet but already have the discounts!

Alice
Medal of Honor
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

All 75%off. And amazingly, it seems they finally fixed the base price of Alice for Europe!(it was 50 euros base price before)

Is Valve trolling with this 10% off weekly nonsense?!
No, it isn't Valve trolling. It's the devs, as they now can put their games on weeklong deals without Valve's approval.
Well, somebody's trolling. 10% off a $40 MSRP isn't a sale, it's a joke. Where's my pitchfork?
I guess that's the flip side of the crazy 90% random deals. Ridiculous why bother 10% deals. Really if someone wanted that game and is willing to pay that much for it they'd have it by now. And if they aren't willing to pay full price 10% off is not going to sway them. Not sure what the logic is except maybe to try to get the game noticed since it's no longer a new release.

FWIW, I did comment in the forum about it. Of course there are already 'Then don't buy it! White Knights showing up.

There's some gems in the mix. Marc Ecko's Getting Up is 75% off and that truck racing game is 70% off.
Hm.. Devolver Digital and Plug in Digital. I'll wait for them to be bundled.

If Mark Ecko's Getting Up wasn't published by Devolver, I'd probably have bought it.
I thought that too when I saw Devolver but it's an old game and surely they would have bundled it by now, right? Then again the fact that they put it on sale means they are noticing they might be able to sell some copies to deal hunters so I guess that's a good sign.

I really want it but seeing Devolver just makes me think IT'S A TRAP.

Do 99 of you want to split a Luftrausers Air Raid Pack with me? 100 Steam keys + 1 DRM-free download for $749.99.
fuck no... like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXYMDu6dpY

How would anyone consider hosting that...? And how is 7.50 cents a copy suppose to be a deal on something that looks like it should be in a bundle two week/months from now?

Steam Weeklies... Like last week there is some stuff I would consider picking up if someone was around to sale it at a better discount... but as is... (See above.)

Edit: Sorry, couldn't do it... It looked like Sunsasun had hacked my account with all the video/pictures going on.

I wonder if people are still playing Bad Company 2.  I think in the end I enjoyed it more than either BF3 or BF4.

I was interested in Blackguards but it was 10% first week of release, so that's lame.  

Any thoughts on Violett?

Grab bag of poo

5FDCH-A9YYI-R4PJV
N2HR0-RCPP3-EI8AB
82V8G-K8K2X-G4QK0
YTX3T-WL7LR-ARP8H
37VBI-D9AC2-R97P8
R6VLC-MQP30-T63JY
QMHX0-PFJLB-CVA7L

So is this what SteamDB was on about a few days ago? I was hoping for a humble… maybe it'll still happen tomorrow.

And if it does…gotta sucker in those few last-minute buyers, right? Good ol' EA!

So just curious, you don't like Conquistador Brut? It seems like a lot of old schoolers rave about it, though I haven't personally tried it beyond idling for cards. :p
Oh I do (well at least I think I do, haven't had a chance to get back to it) but I already had it. I just bought the bundle for Etherlords and something else that I already forgot about.

Come to think of it, if publishers are able to price their games at whatever they want now, what's the point of them taking part in bundles? Outside of the charity aspect, bundles often seem to average out to .50 per game for the buyer, so why wouldn't most publishers just put their game for that price on steam and avoid the bundle fees? 

1526365_10153748828130093_531967148_n.jpg

Sweet Gaben doing an AMA in an hour, and apparently drinking himself to morbid obesity. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1zg3b8/gabe_newell_ama_100_pm_pst/

Shymalayan twist? TODAY IS 3/3

Come to think of it, if publishers are able to price their games at whatever they want now, what's the point of them taking part in bundles? Outside of the charity aspect, bundles often seem to average out to .50 per game for the buyer, so why wouldn't most publishers just put their game for that price on steam and avoid the bundle fees?
As Ashes pointed out earlier, most indies agree to bundles for the exposure. If your game isn't either a) already on Steam or b) brand-new so that it appears on the front page, people aren't likely to pay much attention to it.

I'm not sure what fees you're referring to; it was my understanding it didn't really cost a dev anything to participate in bundles other than keys. There are fees for getting onto Desura (and rather hefty ones, as I understand it), but other than that I don't know what fees could be associated with this.

In any event, I have a hard time seeing most publishers actually putting games on sale at "bundle" prices. The closest I've seen to this in the past week were the old BI titles that, for the most part, no one would pay more than $1 for at this point anyway. If we see a glut of new 90% off sales on popular (or at least not really obscure) titles, I guess I'll be proven wrong.

Most of the time I think it is for exposure. You also have a better chance of selling your game as if your game doesn't appeal maybe some of the others will to that user.

Why is SteamGuard and/or Yahoo so slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww today?!  I can't get signed on using Chrome so I'm not all jshacklesified.   :cry:

I can't see who plays (owns) Dominions 3 to know if it is a popular game or not.  I can't function without enhancements!  Bahhh!

Why is SteamGuard and/or Yahoo so slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww today?! I can't get signed on using Chrome so I'm not all jshacklesified. :cry:

I can't see who plays (owns) Dominions 3 to know if it is a popular game or not. I can't function without enhancements! Bahhh!
Steamguard is much faster if you use gmail. I suggest using a gmail address for it. It's extremely slow on my comcast account..

Most of the time I think it is for exposure. You also have a better chance of selling your game as if your game doesn't appeal maybe some of the others will to that user.
Outside of this forum, I've never talked to anyone who knew bundle sites existed outside of Humble. I think that a big 90-95% off sign on steam will do just as fine a job as getting in a groupees or bundlestars, depending on the goals of the publusher, of course.

Monday morning discussion point: is Max Payne 3 actually worth playing?

I played a level and a half of it over the weekend and I was just bored by it. I'm sure diving around and doing that bullet-time trick was fun some time ago, but is that it? It has me working as a bodyguard for people I'd rather see dead, there's lens flare/fancy camera angle stuff going on and it nearly have me a headache.

Oh, and those cutscenes. It's no exaggeration to say that half of my playtime was spent watching cutscenes (w/ aforementioned "special" effects).

I'm tempted to delete it and reclaim that 30g of HD space.

What say ye?
I beat it in 9-10 hours. I hadn't played MP1 or 2. It was okay. I had to knock it down to easy though. I was playing it to free up those 30 GB. The story was workable but not the greatest. It gets better late in the game. (When it's not about protecting those 1%er pricks.)

Oh my god I've been waiting so long for a Serious Sam sale because it never goes on sale. I was starting to get worried and beginning to think they would never reduce the price.
I'm afraid to check if there is one old poorly-rates SS game that I don't own... I'll just be comfortable in knowing I own all the newer ones.

Oh, I forgot to mention I have to give up a nearly a foot square spot for a cat bed... The "kitten" is more dog than cat in allot of ways (she plays fetch, never owned a dog who would do that) and she very loyal and always by my feet... So she needs a place to lay down while I'm on the computer.
Manx cat? (tail-less).

Vanguard Princess out on Steam today (fighting game by former Capcom sprite designer). It was a bonus game in Groupees Let's Build a Doujin 2. Unlike some other devs they're not being stingy with the keys.

From http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/187111395/1393856288 --
Finally, a bundle game I'm specifically glad to have on steam. (I know it's supposedly an okay/middling arena combat game.)

Do 99 of you want to split a Luftrausers Air Raid Pack with me? 100 Steam keys + 1 DRM-free download for $749.99.
Two things blow my mind... 100 pack... I could only think of pulling that off with a WoW expansion.

$7.49/each in a 100 pack... wth...

As I recall, Steam changed their policy so they won't host games unless the developer agrees to host all the DLC on Steam as well. EA has their dumb Bioware points and crap which they won't give up so they can't agree to Steam's DLC terms. If Steam didn't have that policy, I think EA would sell their core games through Steam (and have you buy the DLC through them) but that ain't how it shakes out.

Blame seems to be six of one, half dozen of the other. Valve was the one who changed their DLC hosting policies and EA is the one who won't drop their terrible "points" system.
I'd rather own a game + DLC completely on one service. Less ways for it to go wrong. (I hate in-app full-version upgrades too for the same reason... I'd trust it I G-Play knew I owned it.)

Exposure. What warreni already wrote... you need to get your game in front of people some way.

Outside of this forum, I've never talked to anyone who knew bundle sites existed outside of Humble. I think that a big 90-95% off sign on steam will do just as fine a job as getting in a groupees or bundlestars, depending on the goals of the publusher, of course.
Gaming websites post about them all the time and they then have not just their community but everyone else's as well.

For those interested in Japanese train sim/tycoon games, and/or remember the old Maxis game A-Train, the latest iteration on Steam is 75% off:

A-Train 8 - $19.99 $4.99
I saw that but the reviews are not good. :whistle2:/

Well Humble does ridiculous volume. They're pretty much a money printing press for Double Fine and others.

The smaller bundles though, you're right other than Greenlight and maybe if the bundle is known to take a smaller cut (like Blink claims to) then I don't really see much point now.

As Ashes pointed out earlier, most indies agree to bundles for the exposure. If your game isn't either a) already on Steam or b) brand-new so that it appears on the front page, people aren't likely to pay much attention to it.
It seems like maybe they can opt in to weeklong deals now on their own, though not sure on that point. Also I would imagine if Valve get off their arses that at some point they will do a front page feature of sale games similar to the 'recently updated' with a random sampling featured and then a click through that shows updated by date.

Agreed, we are in a bit of a microcosm here and couple of other places like Reddit. The general public at large has probably only ever heard of Humble Bundles. Even on deal sites like Reddit I regularly see people being surprised to hear that there are other bundles and no one else comes close to Humbles volumes.

Maybe Gala does okay once in a blue moon but that's only due to extensions and happy hour shenanigans and I'd be a good portion of their volume goes to flippers and resellers.

Vanguard Princess out on Steam today (fighting game by former Capcom sprite designer). It was a bonus game in Groupees Let's Build a Doujin 2. Unlike some other devs they're not being stingy with the keys.

From http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/187111395/1393856288 --
Great news! Looking forward to this.

On a different note, I've been playing way too much PS4 lately. I loved Resogun (oh so much), but after beating Killzone Shadowfall I immediately felt like a peasant. I need a good PC game to wash the awful taste out of my mouth. Please help.

I'm interested in playing one of the following games on Steam... any recommendations?

The Banner Saga

Borderlands 2 DLC (particularly Tina's RPG dlc)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Kentucky Route Zero

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Metro 2033

Kind of an eclectic mix, I know, but these are all games I've had on my immediate backlog for the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back