CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
The winner of the draw goes to voken, please message me on steam to claim your Risk of Rain. Thanks for participating everyone.

It's not early unlock DLC. I don't think you can get the planes without buying the DLC.
Yeah, there were two ways to read the description on the steam page. One as it being cheat DLC, and the other as you explained it. It was the "All three planes are immediately available" part in the steam page description that had me wondering.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hm.  Catch up on the 87 pages since I clocked out on New Year's Eve for my annual 3-day gaming party, or just post to the newest page and start reading from there?

Hi, all.  Missed ya.

Hm. Catch up on the 87 pages since I clocked out on New Year's Eve for my annual 3-day gaming party, or just post to the newest page and start reading from there?

Hi, all. Missed ya.
You haven't missed much. Except for my posts. Go to my profile and read my posts, and you will have seen everything worth seeing since you clocked out.

How was your party btdubbs? Play anything good?

I played part of the Elder Scrolls Online beta.  It was a lot like playing Skyrim but with more people running around.

The thing is, Skyrim isn't really made better by entering a long abandoned crypt and having someone run in front of you, bunny hopping in circles and shooting off fire bolts randomly at the walls.

How was your party btdubbs? Play anything good?
I got in on a lot of Smash Bros. Brawl and was the last one standing in a Civ V campaign. There was also some Naruto fighting game going on in another room. In the realm of things non-electronic, there were Cards Against Humanity, Betrayal at House on the Hill, and Red Dragon Inn. Also an improv comic passed around that ended up being about Kirby because he's easy to draw, and there was a movie mini-marathon while some people avoided sleeping the second night.

I played part of the Elder Scrolls Online beta. It was a lot like playing Skyrim but with more people running around.

The thing is, Skyrim isn't really made better by entering a long abandoned crypt and having someone run in front of you, bunny hopping in circles and shooting off fire bolts randomly at the walls.
This is in line with what I've heard from friends in the beta. To best sum it up, one said "It's an MMO that makes me wish I were playing Skyrim."

I played part of the Elder Scrolls Online beta. It was a lot like playing Skyrim but with more people running around.

i knew that game would suck the instant i saw it

then MJ laughed when they said it would cost $60 and have a $15 sub

I am in the Beta as well, and this is pretty much my impression of the current state of the game. My preference would be for them to consider going to a Guild Wars 1 style of public towns/gathering spaces, but instanced world. That way I can solo if I want, or just group with friends. Heck, they could have a pseudo-public instance as well, where anyone can jump into it, and that way people who prefer that playstyle can enjoy it too.

[quote name="MrNinjaSquirrel" post="11420991" timestamp="1388982970"]Just popping in real quick to say:

If you're ever feeling down, play Pinball FX

That is all.[/quote]
...just don't look at the leaderboards.

And they're kinda crap games to solo, at least if you're >10 years old. I finished LEGO Batman 2 recently and I'm reluctant to start the Lord of the Rings one, even though I love the IP.
I also think the lego games could be too hard for kids under 10 solo. Well, at least for my son, who's 5.

Honestly, I find the games difficult to solo. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out what I need to do next on some levels.

And they're kinda crap games to solo, at least if you're >10 years old. I finished LEGO Batman 2 recently and I'm reluctant to start the Lord of the Rings one, even though I love the IP.

I also think the lego games could be too hard for kids under 10 solo. Well, at least for my son, who's 5.

Honestly, I find the games difficult to solo. Sometimes I find it hard to figure out what I need to do next on some levels.
Yeah, I was hoping co-op was online sucks it's only local :X the games are perfect for co-op solo sometimes becomes a bit of a hassle especially since you have alternate so much between characters so often just to advance.

LOTR is the first Lego games I've played but I have to admit I'm enjoying it a ton.... if it had online co-op it would be one of my top games for sure.

UFO: Afterlight is back on steam store, looks like the same game but with a different publisher.
And it's a different APP ID entirely. If you own the old version, it'll say you don't own the new version. I'm guessing if you bought it, it'd add a different entry to your library, even though they're the same game.

Actually you may have misunderstood me: they're crap to solo as an adult because it's just dull. All you do is spam an attack button to smash things and hold down a different button to assemble widgets to solve puzzles. Yes, there are some places in LB2 (e.g., The Batcave) where you may need to check a wiki or faq to figure out what order you're supposed to do things in or just what to do next, but it's all so tremendously repetitious that it gets supremely uninteresting after a few levels. Kids of a certain age (and I'm basing this on my slim experience of having been a kid once and having seen the odd nephew or two--I have no children) find things that are repetitive exciting and intriguing but adults--generally, not so much.

I played one of the LEGO Harry Potter games with my wife co-op on PS3 and that was actually a mix of fun and frustrating. The latter because I found I often wasn't quite sure what to do next, but the former because sometimes co-op >>> solo. Frankly these games are made for co-op, so if you're playing solo, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, I was hoping co-op was online sucks it's only local :X the games are perfect for co-op solo sometimes becomes a bit of a hassle especially since you have alternate so much between characters so often just to advance.

LOTR is the first Lego games I've played but I have to admit I'm enjoying it a ton.... if it had online co-op it would be one of my top games for sure.
Well, maybe LotR is the one to buck the trend. . . but I doubt it. I love DC comics too, but after the tedious experience that was LEGO Batman 2, LEGO LOTR has gone to the bottom one-third of my backlog (figuratively speaking). Oh, also, NEVER play these games with a mouse and keyboard, if you value your sanity.

So I am going to try this Rocksmith 60 day challenge to learn guitar the devs claim (not 60 days in a row but 5 or so days a week). One thing I noticed about the game is they give you missions but they don't say ok you should be doing these tutorials first, it's here just dive right in doing anything you want. It shows promise though.
Please keep us updated on how it goes. I am really curious about it. I have heard 2014 is a big step up from 2013.

I am in the Beta as well, and this is pretty much my impression of the current state of the game. My preference would be for them to consider going to a Guild Wars 1 style of public towns/gathering spaces, but instanced world. That way I can solo if I want, or just group with friends. Heck, they could have a pseudo-public instance as well, where anyone can jump into it, and that way people who prefer that playstyle can enjoy it too.
The impression I got is that they are starting people out with the Skyrim content in the outer lying provinces and then sort of slowly nudging everyone to Cyrodiil in the center of the map where end game will be PvP capture the flag type content or some such.

I think it works well as a single player game but I'm not sure that user base will switch over. SWTOR is kind of schizophenic like that too but EA ultimately ended up giving the KOTOR3ish single player content away free more or less and then charging for end game.

I went through a ton of quests in ESO and there was really only one I came across that needed to be done as a group. The rest was all quite soloable. Some of the quest branches were nice too, particular the main one early with the route I took that ended up in Skyrim. I did kind of feel like they threw their best single player quest stuff early on to make a good first impression though and then it tended to get a bit more generic fetch/kill after that. Maybe that will change though, I don't know.

I will say it was nice to play an ES game and actually not feel compelled to have to mod it visually and otherwise.

UFO: Afterlight is back on steam store, looks like the same game but with a different publisher.
And it's a different APP ID entirely. If you own the old version, it'll say you don't own the new version. I'm guessing if you bought it, it'd add a different entry to your library, even though they're the same game.
This bugs me. I use checking the Steam store page and Enhanced Steam constantly to see if I own a game or not but this sort of setup is trickery. If it literally is the same exact game with no change then it should use the same ID. Publisher change is not enough to justify a new ID. Other games have come back with new publishers under the same ID. Most recently Everyday Genius and also pretty much everything from THQ changed publishers but kept the same ID.

You should edit your signature so that the link goes to your Steam profile instead of steamsignature.com :)
how do I go about doing that? I see some people they have it and others it goes to steamsignature such as mine lol

Actually you may have misunderstood me: they're crap to solo as an adult because it's just dull. All you do is spam an attack button to smash things and hold down a different button to assemble widgets to solve puzzles. Yes, there are some places in LB2 (e.g., The Batcave) where you may need to check a wiki or faq to figure out what order you're supposed to do things in or just what to do next, but it's all so tremendously repetitious that it gets supremely uninteresting after a few levels. Kids of a certain age (and I'm basing this on my slim experience of having been a kid once and having seen the odd nephew or two--I have no children) find things that are repetitive exciting and intriguing but adults--generally, not so much.

I played one of the LEGO Harry Potter games with my wife co-op on PS3 and that was actually a mix of fun and frustrating. The latter because I found I often wasn't quite sure what to do next, but the former because sometimes co-op >>> solo. Frankly these games are made for co-op, so if you're playing solo, you're doing it wrong.

Well, maybe LotR is the one to buck the trend. . . but I doubt it. I love DC comics too, but after the tedious experience that was LEGO Batman 2, LEGO LOTR has gone to the bottom one-third of my backlog (figuratively speaking). Oh, also, NEVER play these games with a mouse and keyboard, if you value your sanity.
Some of the LEGO games are much better than others. I really enjoyed Batman, but am not enjoying Batman 2 as much. I liked Harry Potter 1-4, but gave up on 5-7. I also really like Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

I've played most of them completely solo and have had a great time. It doesn't make much difference to me about co-op since it is so easy to switch back and forth between characters. Only on the rare occasion are puzzles more easily solved because of stubborn friendly AI.

LEGO games are puzzle games at heart. If you're just solving the puzzles and moving through the story they are great fun. When you start grinding for studs, golden bricks, hidden pieces - or just compusively feel the need to pick up everything in sight - well, then I can see it feeling very repetitive.

It's no secret that the games all follow the same basic formula, so I definitely wouldn't recommend playing them back to back. But, on the whole, I do enjoy them quite a lot and I play them solo mostly. Decidedly not crap for me.

Edit: this forum software is a buggy POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back