CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
New Thread:

This thread has been replaced by TSDT v11 :wave:

Daily Deal:
Please check the Steam homepage.

Weeklong Deals:
Steam usually has week-long deals that change on Mondays at 6PM UTC. They mostly feature indie games, and may not run every week.

Sale summary lists:

Key:
⤷ indicates DLC, — specifies part of a pack, + shows alternative versions, ⚠ highlights things worth knowing, ♫ is obvious, and ... denotes a multi-pack.

Holiday Sale 2013 | 19/12/13 through 3/1/14:
Days 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-14.

Spring/Autumn Sale 2013 | 27/11/13 through 3/12/13:
All days.

Steam deals on other stores: (Related threads on CAG.)

Indie* bundle threads: (*Not always indie, nor always a bundle.)

Free stuff:
There are quite a few free games (mostly Free to Play) and mods available via the Steam platform, a comprehensive list of which can be found in this thread on the SPUF.
(NOTE: free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.)

Past Steam Deals Threads:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, the only thing that makes me doubtful of this is I feel that if they really had promised a free copy with an upvote, it would have made its way onto CAG at some point, right? That's the only thing that has me skeptical. We're pretty good at tracking down free with vote offers.
Even on Facebook though? I think most people here seem to be allergic to Facebook.

I'll see if I can dig some more.

nwevpl.jpg

Even on Facebook though? I think most people here seem to be allergic to Facebook.

I'll see if I can dig some more.

nwevpl.jpg
http://www.steamforo.com/t1368-descarga-gratis-el-castle-miner-z

Hmmm, the mystery deepens.

That's all in spanish, but the gist is they gave out free copies of the game (non-steam) if you upvoted them on Steam, liked them on facebook, registered on their forum using the same email you used on facebook, and then uploaded a screenshot showing you had voted and liked.

People in there reported getting an email with a (DRM Free I guess) link to the game immediately after doing so and several people made comments to the effect of "I hope they give you a Steam key once released" or "they better give out steam keys too."

So, wonder if their giveaway was always DRM-Free copy up front and people just expected/wanted Steam keys. Makes sense from a sales perspective.

The review system on Steam is fairly broken. Unless a game is almost universally reviled like War Z or Garry's Incident then pretty much any negative reviews will get downvoted all to hell by fanbois.

I always look at the negative reviews anyway and ignore the useful votes and just skim them and see if what they have to say seems reasonable and sensible or is just flaming nonsense.

The useful not useful system as far as Steam reviews goes just doesn't seem to work. Everyone wants to hear fluffy bunnies or they will downvote you. I suspect some devs have multiple shills or friends downvote bad reviews too in some cases.
Well it's also in Valve's financial interest to sell more (with good reviews shown)... I like the way Metacritic lumps user reviews, green/yellow/red... Red is usually rage/troll, Green Fanboi, Yellow is usually where I can find objective reviews. Also not how Amazon even highlights "The most helpful favorable/critical review"

http://www.steamforo.com/t1368-descarga-gratis-el-castle-miner-z

Hmmm, the mystery deepens.

That's all in spanish, but the gist is they gave out free copies of the game (non-steam) if you upvoted them on Steam, liked them on facebook, registered on their forum using the same email you used on facebook, and then uploaded a screenshot showing you had voted and liked.

People in there reported getting an email with a (DRM Free I guess) link to the game immediately after doing so and several people made comments to the effect of "I hope they give you a Steam key once released" or "they better give out steam keys too."

So, wonder if their giveaway was always DRM-Free copy up front and people just expected/wanted Steam keys. Makes sense from a sales perspective.
The third post says "they haven't confirmed or made a statement (officially announced) if they'll give you a Steam key if the game gets Greenlit."

The third post says "they haven't confirmed or made a statement (officially announced) if they'll give you a Steam key if the game gets Greenlit."
Yeah. I also checked and the only posts I could find about it were either spanish, portugese or russian. And none seemed to have gained a lot of traction. Can devs publish different pages/info/offers to different regions?

My suspicion is they always offered just the DRM free version and it could have possibly been restricted to regions where they didn't expect many sales/money to begin with due to piracy.

The review system on Steam is fairly broken. Unless a game is almost universally reviled like War Z or Garry's Incident then pretty much any negative reviews will get downvoted all to hell by fanbois.

I always look at the negative reviews anyway and ignore the useful votes and just skim them and see if what they have to say seems reasonable and sensible or is just flaming nonsense.

The useful not useful system as far as Steam reviews goes just doesn't seem to work though. Everyone wants to hear fluffy bunnies or they will downvote you. I suspect some devs have multiple shills or friends downvote bad reviews too in some cases.
I agree. I actually posted a negative review of LEGO Batman 2 on Steam with a very detailed explanation of the issues I had with that game and the caveat that a certain demographic would probably love it and it got 2 of 14 people rating it as "helpful." I think the term "helpful" doesn't mean what people think it means. It seems that Steam users interpret the question "Was this review helpful?" as "Do you personally agree with this review?" I feel that review was quite helpful in that it outlined the major characteristics of the game, my opinions of them, and what I felt were its strengths and weaknesses.

Apparently I'm the only person who didn't recommend the game out of 57 reviews, which I find a little astonishing. Maybe I'm really the only person who isn't that fond of LEGO games.

I agree. I actually posted a negative review of LEGO Batman 2 on Steam with a very detailed explanation of the issued I had with that game and the caveat that a certain demographic would probably love it and it got 2 of 14 people rating it as "helpful." I think the term "helpful" doesn't mean what people think it means. It seems that Steam users interpret the question "Was this review helpful?" as "Do you personally agree with this review?" I feel that review was quite helpful in that it outlined the major characteristics of the game, my opinions of them, and what I felt were its strengths and weaknesses.

Apparently I'm the only person who didn't recommend the game out of 57 reviews, which I find a little astonishing. Maybe I'm really the only person who isn't that fond of LEGO games.
I tried to like Lego Batman but the controls just feel so damn floaty...

And if anyone cares, I completed Guacamelee. Got both endings. Now I'm going for all the achievements. :p

I thought Lego batman 2 was pretty good, but then I got carried away and bought Lego lotr right after and got sick of it pretty fast. I find Lego games without superpowers/the force aren't that fun.

Yeah. I also checked and the only posts I could find about it were either spanish, portugese or russian. And none seemed to have gained a lot of traction. Can devs publish different pages/info/offers to different regions?

My suspicion is they always offered just the DRM free version and it could have possibly been restricted to regions where they didn't expect many sales/money to begin with due to piracy.
Interesting thought... play the high-piracy markets for Greenlight votes.

Wow, I just noticed Castleminer Z! It's Minecraft with zombies. Is anybody getting that foolish Flowette itch to buy this right now? If so, let me know. I'm always more likely to do stupid things when in groups.
Well it's an Xbox Live Indie Game, which if you have ever taken a second to look over the games available on the platform is certainly not a compliment or something you should have high expectations for. It's essentially greenlight without the voting process (ie. anyone with $100 can put up a game), and 99% of the stuff turned out from it is MS Paint, below flash game quality copies of other games. There are a few exceptions (Bleed, Escape Goat), but generally if a game is released on the platform you shouldn't expect much of anything from it.

As for CMZ, I find it a bit annoying that they upped the price quite a bit from the original $1 it costed, especially when it sounds like a terrible port. I'd suggest you save your money and go fool around with a Minecraft zombie mod, there's a lot of them to choose from and almost certainly better than CMZ.

Well it's an Xbox Live Indie Game, which if you have ever taken a second to look over the games available on the platform is certainly not a compliment or something you should have high expectations for. It's essentially greenlight without the voting process (ie. anyone with $100 can put up a game), and 99% of the stuff turned out from it is MS Paint, below flash game quality copies of other games. There are a few exceptions (Bleed, Escape Goat), but generally if a game is released on the platform you shouldn't expect much of anything from it.

As for CMZ, I find it a bit annoying that they upped the price quite a bit from the original $1 it costed, especially when it sounds like a terrible port. I'd suggest you save your money and go fool around with a Minecraft zombie mod, there's a lot of them to choose from and almost certainly better than CMZ.
You know, I looked at the Minecraft zombie mods and none of them really looked the same. Maybe you can point me to a good one with guns and stuff? Most just seemed like regular old minecraft zombies, just a ton spawning, and I really hate the minecraft zombies.

Hmm... according to http://isthereanydeal.com/ the all-time low for Civ V: Gods and Kings DLC has been $7.49 on several sites (Steam/Amazon/GameFly) within the past calendar year.

So the second Tier has some nice value, but that BTA price keeps rising. Are people really hitting up Tier 3 without hesitation? Seems odd when Brave New World has been $7.49-$10 many many times itself since this past December.

Edit: However, once you look at it as $15 for both DLCs I guess you can see the reasoning for donating $15.

Seems like Gods and Kings has been much cheaper than that in the past... or at least bundled with vanilla for a better overall deal.

Granted I never played just pure vanilla Civ 5 since I bought one of the bundled editions that included G+K but it didn't seem like the additions were anything great.  Religion just seemed sort of 'meh' compared to Civ 4.

My Civ5 addicted friend has said that no one should play Civ5 without BNW. It adds so much, and changes so many dynamics from the base game that it is a must have.

One unit per tile still kills it for me though.

My Civ5 addicted friend has said that no one should play Civ5 without BNW. It adds so much, and changes so many dynamics from the base game that it is a must have.

One unit per tile still kills it for me thought.
I believe there are Steam workshop mods that increase the number of units per tile.

Hmm... according to http://isthereanydeal.com/ the all-time low for Civ V: Gods and Kings DLC has been $7.49 on several sites (Steam/Amazon/GameFly) within the past calendar year.

So the second Tier has some nice value, but that BTA price keeps rising. Are people really hitting up Tier 3 without hesitation? Seems odd when Brave New World has been $7.49-$10 many many times itself since this past December.

Edit: However, once you look at it as $15 for both DLCs I guess you can see the reasoning for donating $15.
G&K - $3.15 December 2012, GMG

#NeverForget

The second HIB HB tier looked stupid considering that Civ V Gold upgrade was being sold for $5 during every sale... but 2K has removed that from the store. :nottalking:

And WTF at the post flood timer... did someone set it to over 2 minutes? :wall:

Seems like Gods and Kings has been much cheaper than that in the past... or at least bundled with vanilla for a better overall deal.
I thought the same thing. $7.49 didn't seem right.

Yep, $3ish from GMG about a year ago.
G&K - $3.15 December 2012, GMG

#NeverForget
This seems far more accurate. I can only view Isthereanydeal's history back to July 2012 for G&K. Was this a price glitch? I clearly must have forgotten. Enhanced Steam says $7.49 as does Isthereanydeal, but I didn't completely believe it.

Hmm... perhaps I am just not savvy enough to use Isthereanydeal's price history feature. Is there a way to expand the historical range?

Anyone actually purchase the Humble Bundle yet?  If so are they separate gift links/keys or combined?  I have no interest in it, but know someone who does.

Edit: NVM found the answer on SteamGifts - they are all separate keys apparently if anyone else cares :)

I thought the same thing. $7.49 didn't seem right.

This seems far more accurate. I can only view Isthereanydeal's history back to July 2012 for G&K. Was this a price glitch? I clearly must have forgotten. Enhanced Steam says $7.49 as does Isthereanydeal, but I didn't completely believe it.

Hmm... perhaps I am just not savvy enough to use Isthereanydeal's price history feature. Is there a way to expand the historical range?
Nope. It was a planned price and even advertised ahead of time (~5-7 days ahead). There are other price trackers... Sig. See Sig. Also price trackers cant' capture everything... doing a search on slickdeals is worthwhile if really trying to nail something down. But I remember this $3.15...

Just an FYI, Civ3 is widely regarded as the absolute worst game in the series, and by a longshot. Civ4 and Civ5 play widely different, but both are immensely superior games.

I agree. I actually posted a negative review of LEGO Batman 2 on Steam with a very detailed explanation of the issues I had with that game and the caveat that a certain demographic would probably love it and it got 2 of 14 people rating it as "helpful." I think the term "helpful" doesn't mean what people think it means. It seems that Steam users interpret the question "Was this review helpful?" as "Do you personally agree with this review?" I feel that review was quite helpful in that it outlined the major characteristics of the game, my opinions of them, and what I felt were its strengths and weaknesses.

LEGO Batman 2 annoys me as well. I really liked LEGO Batman though... it was much better

Hm. That's the opposite of what I've heard--I remember reading that people recommended Civ II>>>>III.
Both Civ2 and SMAC are far superior to Civ3. There are just too many poor design choices in Civ3 and the game too broken in too many ways for anyone to even bother playing it ever again.

Not that I disagree with the general premise that the review voting system is bad, but just read your review and a few things that might not be working in your favor are: you basically state a few times that you don't like Lego games, abandon them, etc. so people might think you are biased against them; you spoil the entire game in the second paragraph; and you keep making it a point that this game is for children/simple people essentially insulting any adult who happened to like the game.

I do agree it was a well written/explained review, just think you might hit upon a few things working against you.

I bought Civ3 at launch.  Still own the collector's edition tin it came in.

Played it twice, hated it, went back to Civ 2.  It was ten+ years before I'd try another Civ game (Civ V).  What a buggy mess, although I assume it's been fixed by now.

You guys are obviously all on crack, each new version of Civ has been better and more challenging than the previous incarnation.

*plugs ears to avoid hearing contrary opinions*

=P

You know, I looked at the Minecraft zombie mods and none of them really looked the same. Maybe you can point me to a good one with guns and stuff? Most just seemed like regular old minecraft zombies, just a ton spawning, and I really hate the minecraft zombies.
Reign of the Zombie

Based off the hit-series, The Walking Dead, this mod makes you a survivor of a deadly epidemic. You have one morning to prepare, but at night, all hell breaks loose. Fight off hoards of flesh-eating zombies with new and improved weapons including baseball bats and machetes. Improve game-play by setting goals, protecting villages, and establishing safe-holds.

ZombieCraft

Have any of guys gotten bored of crafting and surviving the creepers and zombies at night yet? I hope you haven’t. But I have something quite exciting for some of you that might need a break. Its like Residence Evil I would say, this mod is called ZombieCraft Mod which is already compatible with Minecraft 1.6.2. Now what this Mod does is add a game into your Minecraft where you’ll be able to kill Nazi Zombies.

DayM

A mod similar to the well known DayZ Arma II Mod. However, its not a clone and it has its own unique twist. The mod uses Minecraft 1.4.7 as a base... and its more of a game itself rather than a mod.

Its not compatible with other mods.

The mod includes 3D Modeled guns, New animations and functions such as going prone, blood system, stamina system, weight system...etc

Dead Minecraft Zombie

Do you really like survival Minecraft where you test yourself against relentless nature, enemy attacks, crafting, farming and finding creative ways to keep yourself alive? Do you like taking your sword to the heads of the undead, cleaving them asunder? How about fighting massive hordes of zombies, what if you sprinkled zombies into the mix, more terrifying than the standard zombie? In Dead Minecraft there are six brand new zombie types and thirty-nine (yes, 39!) new weapons! This is an obvious nod to the popular Dead Island game, giving you a ton of new ways to dispatch your rotting enemies.

Not that I disagree with the general premise that the review voting system is bad, but just read your review and a few things that might not be working in your favor are: you basically state a few times that you don't like Lego games, abandon them, etc. so people might think you are biased against them;
Well, I guess I didn't mean for it to sound that way; I wasn't really biased against LEGO games before I played LEGO Batman 2. I was genuinely trying to give it a fair shake. I interpreted my issues with LEGO Batman 1 as being primarily associated with the fact that I tried to play it using mouse+KB.

you spoil the entire game in the second paragraph;
Oops. I always feel like I'm walking a fine line when writing reviews between spoiling a story and giving the potential player a decent plot summary.

and you keep making it a point that this game is for children/simple people essentially insulting any adult who happened to like the game.
I do hammer that home a bit, I guess. I can see how that can come off as smug, but I guess I really feel like these games are made for kids with a few winks and nods at parents who may be playing them. Maybe I'm wrong about the target audience. I probably don't mean this to sound as demeaning as it evidently does.

In any case, I appreciate the constructive criticism, Fox. I tend to either really like or really dislike a game, so I don't have too many middle-of-the-road reviews, but I'm always open to ways to improve my writing.

Nope. It was a planned price and even advertised ahead of time (~5-7 days ahead). There are other price trackers... Sig. See Sig. Also price trackers cant' capture everything... doing a search on slickdeals is worthwhile if really trying to nail something down. But I remember this $3.15...
Thanks for the information and good memory. I use those same price trackers as well which are very handy as long as one remembers to update their tracking lists. They're good for quick references and apparently not always but mostly accurate. I shall dig deeper next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back