The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Blackout']I just downloaded Steam. I've never really played PC games before but I thought I would check it out. I have no idea how it works or anything like that so I hope I can get the hang of it. I probably won't use it that often, but I'll probably check out some multiplayer games. So is Steam better than buying the actual discs?[/QUOTE]

If my mother was able to create a steam acount and download stuff you will be fine ;)

Creating a steam account is as simple as creating an email account with the extra step of their being a program to install. All it is is create an account using your email at their site and then download and install their client. From there its just another little app running in your tray that when you click on you can buy stuff. So pretty much if you can surf the net you can use steam.

As for steam vs disk basked games. There are ups and downs to both but as time goes on I find myself buying more and more of my games on steam. Disk Based games give you that joy of owning a hard copy and a feeling of permanence. Disk basked games also drop in price faster then steam games frequently do. Steam on the other hand means you never have to search and find a disk nor worry about a disk getting scratched. Steam also has lower first day sales then you find for most disk based games. And the best thing of all is that steam offers up HUGE HUGE HUGE sales. Just keep an eye at this topic or the CAGer video game deals forums and in general there are 2 sales a week where a game is marked down 50-90% usually.

Those sales are the reason most of us use steam. Not having disks and what not can be a nice convenience, as can having all your games in one handy list that means your one left click away from playing. However finding games for 50% + off every week simply can not be beat!

[quote name='KaOTiK']Basically with Steam, the biggest cons are you don't have an physical copy of the game (if that matters to you) and you don't have a decent net connection it can take awhile to download larger games.

Plus sides are you can download as many times as you want on different PC's, don't have to worry about looking for discs and cd keys for installs, patches are all automatically downloaded for your game as well.

My recommendation is to try and wait for sales for most games. Steam shines due to it's midweek, weekend, and holiday sales they have marking games from 50-80% off.

As for multiplayer games, Team Fortress 2 if you like FPS. Valve is still releasing lots of new content for it on a regular basis and it has a very large active community, and it is only $20, a steal at that price.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Dont rush in and buy a bunch of games. Instead buy a game that really interests you and will keep you busy then slowly watch as your steam collection grows with the sales. I never intend to buy many games but every month seem to end up with at least 2 or 3 new games and sometimes two or three times that many more. Its just hard to argue with a great little indy game with good reviews for $1-$3 or with a big block buster release for $5-$10!

Edit - Just thought of and wanted to add that I really feel another huge advantage to steam is finding all sorts of games I never would have before. There are tons of games id never have even heard of before and ended up loving because of steam. These games come up on the sale list and I think "huh never heard of that game" and end up loving lots of these games. Some are just cheap impulse buys like Chains which I got for $1 and me and my wife have played the crap out of, others cost a little bit such as Nation Red or Kings Bounty but are freaking amazing titles!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaOTiK']Basically with Steam, the biggest cons are you don't have an physical copy of the game (if that matters to you) and you don't have a decent net connection it can take awhile to download larger games.

Plus sides are you can download as many times as you want on different PC's, don't have to worry about looking for discs and cd keys for installs, patches are all automatically downloaded for your game as well.

My recommendation is to try and wait for sales for most games. Steam shines due to it's midweek, weekend, and holiday sales they have marking games from 50-80% off.

As for multiplayer games, Team Fortress 2 if you like FPS. Valve is still releasing lots of new content for it on a regular basis and it has a very large active community, and it is only $20, a steal at that price.[/QUOTE]

Right now I'm downloading a few of the free games on Steam, like Half like 2 DM, Sam & Max Abe Lincoln, and America's Army 3.

What are the most active multiplayer games on Steam? I've always wanted to play Counter Strike.

So for PC disc games, you can only install it one time and that's it?

[quote name='MSI Magus']If my mother was able to create a steam acount and download stuff you will be fine ;)

Creating a steam account is as simple as creating an email account with the extra step of their being a program to install. All it is is create an account using your email at their site and then download and install their client. From there its just another little app running in your tray that when you click on you can buy stuff. So pretty much if you can surf the net you can use steam.

As for steam vs disk basked games. There are ups and downs to both but as time goes on I find myself buying more and more of my games on steam. Disk Based games give you that joy of owning a hard copy and a feeling of permanence. Disk basked games also drop in price faster then steam games frequently do. Steam on the other hand means you never have to search and find a disk nor worry about a disk getting scratched. Steam also has lower first day sales then you find for most disk based games. And the best thing of all is that steam offers up HUGE HUGE HUGE sales. Just keep an eye at this topic or the CAGer video game deals forums and in general there are 2 sales a week where a game is marked down 50-90% usually.

Those sales are the reason most of us use steam. Not having disks and what not can be a nice convenience, as can having all your games in one handy list that means your one left click away from playing. However finding games for 50% + off every week simply can not be beat![/QUOTE]

I'm not really a PC guy so I'm going to be using Steam very casually, either for free games or dirt cheap games. I'll probably buy AvP 2000 since it's only 5 bucks.

If you buy a disc based game, can you install it through Steam? (if that makes any sense?). I want to play Half Life 1 and the games in that installment. I've seen it pretty cheap at Half Price books. Could I buy it there and play online, get updates, etc with Steam? What about some of the free games linked above? Can you put those in your Steam account (such as this one)? I have no idea how PC games work.

Last edited:
[quote name='Blackout']Right now I'm downloading a few of the free games on Steam, like Half like 2 DM, Sam & Max Abe Lincoln, and America's Army 3.

What are the most active multiplayer games on Steam? I've always wanted to play Counter Strike.

I'm not really a PC guy so I'm going to be using Steam very casually, either for free games or dirt cheap games. I'll probably buy AvP 2000 since it's only 5 bucks.

If you buy a disc based game, can you install it through Steam? (if that makes any sense?). I want to play Half Life 1 and the games in that installment. I've seen it pretty cheap at Half Price books. Could I buy it there and play online with Steam? What about some of the free games linked above? Can you put those in your Steam account (such as this one)? I have no idea how PC games work.[/QUOTE]

To answer questions one at a time.

Most Active Multi player games would probably be Left 4 Dead 1 and 2. They both work with the wired 360 controllers too which would make you feel right at home. Counter Strike im pretty sure does still have a pretty active community though(although it can be a rough game to jump into). Team Fortress 2 is probaly just as active as L4D1/2 as well and its a hell of a lot cheaper.

As for installing games, no you can have as many installed through steam as you want. I currently probaly have about a dozen games installed through steam.

On the subject of games that are on steam being bought then installed through steam. The answer is yes....but not the yes you want. First off any game can be installed and played through steam, however its listed as a non steam game while playing. There are a few games that if you buy you can register your serial code with steam and you will then own the steam copy and be able to download it any time you want....but those are like a few dozen out of the few hundred games available.

Only other thing to add is that there are tons of games that work with console controllers and are pretty cheap. These might be good games for you to get your feet wet with. Most games that are on consoles as well such as L4D, Team Fortress, Bishock and Assasins creed work with controllers. Outside that though to name a few cheap games that do Zombie Driver, Nation Red and Zombie Shooter.

Kings Bounty Question. How do I Mark a map? I have left clicked stuff on my map and labeled it...but then if I close it out it dissapears, and if I click someplace else it moves the label.

[quote name='Blackout']What are the most active multiplayer games on Steam? I've always wanted to play Counter Strike. [/quote]

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
MW2, CS:S, CS, TF2, L4D2 are the most popular. Football Manager 2010 up there as well (is that even an MP game?)

If you buy a disc based game, can you install it through Steam? (if that makes any sense?). I want to play Half Life 1 and the games in that installment. I've seen it pretty cheap at Half Price books. Could I buy it there and play online, get updates, etc with Steam?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

For HL1 and for all games listed in the above link, you can enter your CD key into Steam and forever be able to download it whenever you want on however many computers you want (barring some 3rd party DRM). It's easy to do with Steam. Just go to "Register games" in the client or something like it, put in your cd key, you are good to go.

^ Altho if you buy a used copy of HL1 from Half Price Books, there's a chance that the key has already been registered on Steam.

Don't forget you have the opportunity to install demos of many games straight from Steam, for that try-before-you-buy fresh feeling. I added you to my friends list, so hit me up through the Steam IM feature (Steam Friends) if you have any questions while we're both online.

Topic updated including QotW. I thought of the QotW after realizing that I personally would rather have another huge week long steam sale hit tomorrow then my own birthday ;)

If we still celebrated Christmas id be looking forward to it more then Christmas too ;)

[quote name='KaOTiK']Total War week, 66% off all current Total War games, also a bundle with them all for $20.39. Hell of a deal[/QUOTE]

Was just coming to post that. Not sure about the series, not big on that type of game but maybe ill at least give the Demo a try.

damn you steam!
I totally suck at these games but they are really fun.
Altso the empire: total war price wasnt fubar for euro ppl "only" 3% diff and the others ware so cheap it didnt really matter that it was the 40% extra :p

[quote name='Blackout'] Can you put those in your Steam account (such as this one)? I have no idea how PC games work.[/QUOTE]

You can have STEAM recognize the game and place shortcuts in your Game list window if that is what you want.

When you play them...STEAM will allow you to use STEAM chat and such as you play those games as if it were an official STEAM game.

You don't need STEAM to play them and all of the games I listed that can go online do so on their own.

White Chamber is a single player game so that has no MP.

I'm not a huge RTS buff, only really liking some of the simpler less micromanagy games like Demigod or World in Conflict. How will I like the TW games?

But be advised that not every game for which you add a shortcut to Steam is fully compatible with the Steam overlay/chat functions.

I'm still slightly annoyed to how Steam doesn't detect launches on games that you put shortcuts on.

I usually launch my games by Xfire. But if I want them to have the Steam overlay, I have to open it through Steam.

I'm not about to change my ways and use Steam as my main game launcher...

Ah well, I find Xfire's overlay interface slightly better anyways. Even though Steam's is exactly what you see outside the game.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm not a huge RTS buff, only really liking some of the simpler less micromanagy games like Demigod or World in Conflict. How will I like the TW games?[/QUOTE]

Real Time Tactics. Not like Starcraft or Warcraft. If you liked World in Conflict and Civilization you will like Total War.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']I'm still slightly annoyed to how Steam doesn't detect launches on games that you put shortcuts on.

I usually launch my games by Xfire. But if I want them to have the Steam overlay, I have to open it through Steam.

I'm not about to change my ways and use Steam as my main game launcher...

Ah well, I find Xfire's overlay interface slightly better anyways. Even though Steam's is exactly what you see outside the game.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I left STEAM for some of the reasons you stated. Most of the games I play are indie/freeware and it was not always compatible with them. Meanwhile, on Xfire ppl can click and connect with me with zero problems.

Last edited:
For years I only used Steam for extremely good deals. However, since I have said so long to the :360: and have a new PC I'll be watching the Steam threads more often.

JEBUS, they have Trine at $5! Excellent action-puzzle platformer, which is a recommended must-play, and for that price, a must buy!

My B-day is something up, and when it does I'm considering dipping into some Total War goodness (though I suck at empire management/Strategy games).

Steam question:

If two people buy the same game on two separate accounts do they both have to download it? or can one download it and copy the game files to the other's computer? Trying to avoid having to DL 7 GBs again for another copy of Rome Total War bought in the same house.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Steam question:

If two people buy the same game on two separate accounts do they both have to download it? or can one download it and copy the game files to the other's computer? Trying to avoid having to DL 7 GBs again for another copy of Rome Total War bought in the same house.[/QUOTE]

Source games have their own folder so about 500-1g needs to be redownloaded per individual but non-Valve games generally are in the Common folder which is, well, as the name implies common to all users. No, you don't generally have to.

Been playing the EvE online 14 day demo, looks like I'm likely adding a monthly expense from now on. This game is intensely awesome.

ooo trine is on sale again great game, have yet to ahve a chance to try multiplayer but did get a ps3 controller working with it tad funny controls how i had it set up though.

rather late but, from the holiday sale found out about it from cag i think the day or day before mr robot was on sale.
trine,torchlight, mass effect, morrowind, bioshock, osmos ,braid , shattered horizon(little too late to get in on a 4 pack), and the orange box. Total about 50$ us, regret not buying the big star wars(start wards, wow at my typing.....) pack but oh well might get its equivalent next year we shall see.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Source games have their own folder so about 500-1g needs to be redownloaded per individual but non-Valve games generally are in the Common folder which is, well, as the name implies common to all users. No, you don't generally have to.

Been playing the EvE online 14 day demo, looks like I'm likely adding a monthly expense from now on. This game is intensely awesome.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Worked like a charm. Hopefully the multiplayer is good with this game.

Outside QotW does anyone pay attention to me updating the main page? Dont really see any comments on it, so just trying to gauge if its being used or not.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Outside QotW does anyone pay attention to me updating the main page? Dont really see any comments on it, so just trying to gauge if its being used or not.[/QUOTE]

I forget about it a lot of the time! When I remember, I watch the "games on sale" section like a hungry shark tho.

How often do you update? Maybe each update you could post as a new post as well? I wouldn't mind and probably miss much less. I tend to just jump to a new post by habit.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']How often do you update? Maybe each update you could post as a new post as well? I wouldn't mind and probably miss much less. I tend to just jump to a new post by habit.[/QUOTE]

Iv been updating it every mourning almost. Recently its gotten a bit tiresome, especially since people dont seem to pay attention to it. If people use it ill keep doing it, but if people ignore it or only pay attention to deals then I will stop doing it/just update deals regularly.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Iv been updating it every mourning almost. Recently its gotten a bit tiresome, especially since people dont seem to pay attention to it. If people use it ill keep doing it, but if people ignore it or only pay attention to deals then I will stop doing it/just update deals regularly.[/QUOTE]

Updating posts is sadly a thankless job. I wouldn't die if you decided not to update if you don't feel it's worth it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Updating posts is sadly a thankless job. I wouldn't die if you decided not to update if you don't feel it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, just depends on if people use it or not. I am not going to stop updating it over getting a thank you or not....I would stop updating it over it not being used though ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Like I said, just depends on if people use it or not. I am not going to stop updating it over getting a thank you or not....I would stop updating it over it not being used though ;)[/QUOTE]

I don't use it as I just get the info from going to the steam store.

I just noticed that Lost Planet Colonies Edition is now on steam. I wonder if they will let you add the CD key to steam now, since you can purchase the game on steam. If so I think I might buy the game cheap from Amazon.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I just noticed that Lost Planet Colonies Edition is now on steam. I wonder if they will let you add the CD key to steam now, since you can purchase the game on steam. If so I think I might buy the game cheap from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You can't, unfortunately.[quote name='Steam - Retail CD Keys']Lost Planet: Colonies Edition is not accepted on Steam[/QUOTE]

As for the first post, I rarely check it. I think like most people, I just read the new posts for updates.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I don't use it as I just get the info from going to the steam store.

I just noticed that Lost Planet Colonies Edition is now on steam. I wonder if they will let you add the CD key to steam now, since you can purchase the game on steam. If so I think I might buy the game cheap from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Copy and pasted from https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601
Lost Planet: Colonies Edition is not accepted on Steam

the whole cannot take cd keys on steam is one of my biggest irks. i wish they could figure something out as i have quite a few games that are available on steam, but i cannot enter my cd code. id even be willing to pay a few bucks for a transfer fee or something (for some of them).

So since people dont use it I guess ill just stop updating the main page....ah well saves me some time anyways.

I was going to keep doing the sales at least, but instead ill just give you guys a topic everyone should have bookmarked and keep an eye on.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518670

This topic not only lists everything on sale, but also stuff that has received price reductions. For instance the Penny Arcade games might not be on sale right now, but they just received a several dollar price cut.

Maybe you can add that to first post as your last update?

And I still like having questions every now and then. I'm not really looking forward to much other than the sales. Hoping we get Killing Floor for 4.99 again.

Rome: Total War was a total bust because Gamespy sucks horribly and 2 out of the 5 people who bought it and tried to do multiplayer were never allowed to connect to any games.

Good idea. Ill do that and update the front page with other resources over time(links that might be usefull and maybe start putting together an FAQ if we start seeing common questions from new users like when do sales take place).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat is now on steam. If you have either of the first two Stalkers from steam you get a 33% discount.

Before discount $29.99
After discount $19.99

Weekend deal is up, Mount & Blade 85% comes out to $4.99

Anyone here played it? DL'n the demo now to see but would like to hear from someone that has it

[quote name='KaOTiK']Weekend deal is up, Mount & Blade 85% comes out to $4.99

Anyone here played it? DL'n the demo now to see but would like to hear from someone that has it[/QUOTE]

I bought it on a sale like a year ago after hearing the gamerswithjobs guys rant about it...but still havnt played it. Stupid endless steam backlog

[quote name='MSI Magus']I bought it on a sale like a year ago after hearing the gamerswithjobs guys rant about it...but still havnt played it. Stupid endless steam backlog[/QUOTE]

lol yeah my steam backlog is freaking huge now

The demo was pretty entertaining, I could go either way on it. I might get it though, apparently the game has an incredible mod community

Mount & Blade is incredible. Been playing for ages.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the whole cannot take cd keys on steam is one of my biggest irks. i wish they could figure something out as i have quite a few games that are available on steam, but i cannot enter my cd code. id even be willing to pay a few bucks for a transfer fee or something (for some of them).[/QUOTE]
Where do people get this idea that Steam is supposed to be this service that provides them with permanent, indefinite, free downloads of every retail game they've ever bought from any store (sales that Valve don't see any money from), that Steam just happen to sell as well? I can't go on iTunes and get free downloads of any CD I've ever bought from any store. That is an utterly inane expectation.

At any rate, it up to the publisher to allow this, not Valve. Valve can't go distributing copyrighted content to people, just because you have a CD-key. Publishers have to opt-in to that program.

I found the Mount and Blade demo to be utterly clunky. :) Here are people raving about it, though! Did I miss something?

That's a great deal on the new Stalker, but since I haven't played the first two, I'd better wait. Might be $5 come Christmas!

That's interesting about the thread that keeps track of price drops and stuff. See, that's pretty useful. I would not want to curse anyone with having to update a thread with that kind of info... If it were in the main body here as a post, I'd definitely catch it, but I usually forget to check the top post.

bread's done
Back