The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Gish may have sucked, but Aquaria is AWESOME. You should all have that one too as it was part of the Humble Indie Bundle #1 (which was also included in HIB #2).

It's basically an underwater Metroid. I've put in about 10 hours and I think I'm just over halfway done. Lots of collectibles/secrets and it's got a pretty laid back (but also catchy) soundtrack.

If I had one thing to complain about, is that there is no way to know what you're supposed to do next. There are no mission objectives or waypoints or anything. You just have to keep swimming around different areas and discovering which ones you can access or which ones you can't. This usually isn't a problem as you'll later get a form that will allow you access to these areas, but for me, it involved A LOT of backtracking to places I had already been to twice before. Can get a bit tedious. But I also kind of like this as it lets you freely explore without trying to funnel you through the story. But like I said, it can be tedious if you have to backtrack to areas way on the other side of the map if you didn't catch what you need to do or where you need to go when you were there the first time.

Blah blah coming soon whatever:

And in DLC news:
  • Lots of Magicka DLC
  • Monday Night Combat "Samurai" DLC

Also, I don't really have any evidence to back it up, but I have a faint suspicion that de Blob 2 juuuuuuust might show up on PC at some point, but again, I can't really back thatup.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
  • Sega Dreamcast Collection
[/QUOTE]

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

And let's not take all year to do it Steam, Ulala is wating for me.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
And in DLC news:
  • Monday Night Combat "Samurai" DLC
[/QUOTE]

Can't say I didn't see DLC coming, but that sounds an awful lot to me like a playable class that you may have to pay for. I'll reserve my judgement until I know, maybe it's just an alternate outfit for the assassin, but I'm worried.

[quote name='BitLooter']
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

And let's not take all year to do it Steam, Ulala is wating for me.[/QUOTE]

The resolution of all 4 games are up to 1280x720 only though. And Sonic Adventure is 4:3 only with windowboxing in widescreen resolution.

$29.99 for playing Space Channel 5 on PC is just too much for me. If only Sega sells the games individually for $7.5.

Well, it sucks that the resolution is capped, but since I play most of my games on a laptop it won't affect me much. And honestly, I don't see myself buying it (or almost anything else on Steam, really) until it goes on sale for at least less than $10.

But still. The idea that I could be playing Space Channel 5 on my computer will hold me over until I actually can.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Can't say I didn't see DLC coming, but that sounds an awful lot to me like a playable class that you may have to pay for. I'll reserve my judgement until I know, maybe it's just an alternate outfit for the assassin, but I'm worried.[/QUOTE]

Calm down.

[quote name='didamangi']The resolution of all 4 games are up to 1280x720 only though. And Sonic Adventure is 4:3 only with windowboxing in widescreen resolution.[/QUOTE]

Windowed mode FTW in this case.

Bit Trip Runner comes out on Steam tomorrow. Online leaderboards, new difficulty modes, et cetera. No idea why they're releasing them out of order, but all 6 games in the series are still coming out on PC.

cool,dc collection should be soon. do you know if the 4 games are sold separately too? Also do you remember the year that you saw ff7 and ff8?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Bit Trip Runner comes out on Steam tomorrow. Online leaderboards, new difficulty modes, et cetera. No idea why they're releasing them out of order, but all 6 games in the series are still coming out on PC.[/QUOTE]

Gonna wait on the inevitable Bit Trip complete pack.

[quote name='utopianmachine']So not interested in that Magicka DLC. If I wanted to play a war game, I'd go play a war game.[/QUOTE]
It's still the same gameplay, just a (hilarious) new theme.

I love it and want it right now.

[quote name='Spartan V07']cool,dc collection should be soon. do you know if the 4 games are sold separately too? Also do you remember the year that you saw ff7 and ff8?[/QUOTE]
I don't think the DC games will be available separately, and I dunno about FF7 and FF8.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't think the DC games will be available separately, and I dunno about FF7 and FF8.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Dreamcast Collection is out separately on Gamersgate for $8.95 each or $29.99 for all 4. (complete with Starforce DRM though :lol:)

[quote name='didamangi']Well, the Dreamcast Collection is out separately on Gamersgate for $8.95 each or $29.99 for all 4. (complete with Starforce DRM though :lol:)[/QUOTE]

I think he wasn't sure but i did figure it would be separate since it would make more sense. At least it's finally out somewhere ,now Steam may get it pretty soon.

A little "coming soon" update:

Garshasp: The Monster Slayer should be released on Steam in the coming months. It's a 3rd-person action adventure/combat game, noteworthy because it was developed in Iran (where it was released a few months ago), one of the first commercial, non-propaganda games from that country, and it actually looks pretty decent. It is, as the name implies, based on the actual ancient Persian mythological hero Garshasp.

Just wondering, Amnesia is only $7.98 on D2D, and I'm wondering if you can activate it on Steam or not? I should have just picked it up for $10 last week on Steam, but of course I missed it...

Anyone know if there will be a pre-load for Homefront? Seems dumb to me that people who purchased on D2D can pre-load, yet those that purchased a Steamworks title via Steam still don't have the option.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Just wondering, Amnesia is only $7.98 on D2D, and I'm wondering if you can activate it on Steam or not? I should have just picked it up for $10 last week on Steam, but of course I missed it...[/QUOTE]

Nope.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone know if there will be a pre-load for Homefront? Seems dumb to me that people who purchased on D2D can pre-load, yet those that purchased a Steamworks title via Steam still don't have the option.[/QUOTE]

Well the pre-load for DA2 wasn't available until Sunday (maybe Saturday?). Might be the same for Homefront.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Well the pre-load for DA2 wasn't available until Sunday (maybe Saturday?). Might be the same for Homefront.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping. It'd just be nice to know, because if there isnt a pre-load I'm just going to download a leaked copy and paste the contents into my Steam folder when it goes live. I cant stand downloading at 10kb/s from the swamped Steam servers the day a game launches.

I just posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to post this here too. I can't be the only one that thinks this.

_________

Also, for the record, Steam gamercards piss me off. The whole Steam rating system is based on negativity, "rewarding" you shitty rankings like Teh Suck and Nearly Lifeless if you're not putting 40 hours every two weeks for their service.

And if you decide not to play Steam games for a couple weeks? Your gamercard empties out.

I think it's an absolutely retarded system which does more to negate the service than help it. It's just abysmal advertising.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to post this here too. I can't be the only one that thinks this.

_________

Also, for the record, Steam gamercards piss me off. The whole Steam rating system is based on negativity, "rewarding" you shitty rankings like Teh Suck and Nearly Lifeless if you're not putting 40 hours every two weeks for their service.

And if you decide not to play Steam games for a couple weeks? Your gamercard empties out.

I think it's an absolutely retarded system which does more to negate the service than help it. It's just abysmal advertising.[/QUOTE]

I'm usually at a 10 Steam rating and couldn't give a rat's ass about the gamercards. It's probably because I'm not a multi-platform gamer. Steam stats are built into the UI and if people want to see what I'm doing they can.

Jes sayin'.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I just posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to post this here too. I can't be the only one that thinks this.

_________

I think it's an absolutely retarded system which does more to negate the service than help it. It's just abysmal advertising.[/QUOTE]

I take it you don't realize the ratings are meant to be a goof?

[quote name='SEH']I take it you don't realize the ratings are meant to be a goof?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what their intentions are. The point is advertising. Shitty advertising gets you shitty business. If I want to post a gamercard advertising YOUR service, it would do you well to create a better marketing campaign.

I don't think they particularly care enough to create a better marketing campaign for a little card that goes in forum signatures. Steam has millions of registered users, so I don't think their business is doing shitty, or is going to get insanely better if Steam cards were updated. I know I personally don't look at someones Xbox gamercard and think to myself "Man, I should go play/buy an Xbox so I can get one of those".

[quote name='utopianmachine']Also, for the record, Steam gamercards piss me off. The whole Steam rating system is based on negativity, "rewarding" you shitty rankings like Teh Suck and Nearly Lifeless if you're not putting 40 hours every two weeks for their service.[/quote]
Maybe you're not aware, but any "Steam gamercards" you see in anyone's signatures or whatever, are not run by Steam. They're from third-party sites, that just pull the data from your public Steam community profile, and generate the image.

Steam stopped using those descriptors ("Teh Suck," "Nearly Lifeless," "Eagles Scream," etc) years ago, and just uses the numbers (0 through 10) now. If you see them in any of these "gamercards," that's the design of whatever site is serving those gamercard images, and has nothing to do with Steam. The gamercard sites could put whatever they want there.

Again, these third-party gamercards just pull the data from your Steam community page, which only shows what you've played the past 2 weeks. When that data clears out after two weeks of inactivity, there's nothing for them to show.

Besides, they're supposed to show how active you are. If you're not playing anything, I don't see why it should show anything.

I think it's an absolutely retarded system which does more to negate the service than help it. It's just abysmal advertising.
Again, Steam doesn't run those "gamercards," so it's not their "advertising." They can't control what other people do with public community info.

MNC continues to update, I'm really happy with how Uber has been treating their game. New outfits, bug fixes and a new ranking system to keep the game balanced.

Monday Night Combat Updates

Update 5 3/10/11

Summary
This update focuses on the new player experience. With the influx of players coming from PAX East we wanted to make sure that the new Monday Night Combat fans get to play with other new fans without getting rolled over by veterans. With the new All-Star Rating system players will be able to get an idea of their skill level vs the others on their server. The balance adjustments to armor endorsements and the default class changes were aimed at continuing this goal by making the newer players live longer but the veteran players, who are usually armed with custom classes, be more in balance when they use these endorsements.

New Features
• All-Star Rating System - The All Star system is a system to rate players so that they have more visibility into the overall skill level on each server. The All Star Rating is a continuously adjusting five star rating. Play well, it’ll go up. Play poorly and it’ll go down. We will improve the system in future updates as we get feedback and data.
• New Outlander Gear!
• New Penny Arcade’s Cardboard Tube Samurai Uniform for Assassin!
• New Taunts while wearing Outlander Gear!
• : New votekick functionality. A player initiates a vote by typing in the console. PLAYER can be the player's name or their player number from the . Once a vote is in progress, other players type or in the console. If ⅔ of players vote to kick, the player will be removed and not allowed to return for some period of time. The exclusion period increases greatly with each subsequent votekick.

Fixes
• Fixed issue with grapples after getting knocked into the air
• Fixed rare case of Assassin getting a back grapple when she is actually in front of her target.
• Fixed Ping display in scoreboard
• Dedicated blitz servers immediately end rounds and return to lobby when all players have left the game.

Balance
• Reduced the benefits of armor endorsements for Assault, Support, Sniper and Assassin.

Adjustments
• New Game Summary display before the end game scoreboard
• Altered the default Assassin and Sniper builds to include armor endorsements
• Increased the chance of JuiceBot spawning during a game in honor of PAX East

Dedicated Server
• Dedicated Servers can set the Max Star Rating for the server by adding ?MaxStarRating=[0-4] to the commandline options. This is a zero based index so the actual value is +1 the entry (ie 0 = 1 star)
• Updated commandline and UI support, updated batch files to support AllStar Rating

Hopefully their portion of the paragraph about new players means a sale is on the horizon?

I'm really going to have to get MNC. School's been taking up a ton of time lately so I've had a hard time getting into a multi-player game but the frequent updates show me they are a dev I want to support.

Anyone else really excited for Homefront on Monday night? I've been watching multiplayer vids all day (granted, most of it's Xbox footage, but it's nice to check out the maps). Speaking of maps, those are what I'm most excited for. They seem to be relatively large and they don't focus on one specific thing which means they'll be great for multiple play styles/strategies. They all seem to have a mix of closed quarters combat along with more open areas that allow for sniping and whatnot.

Also, not sure what it is, but I really like the way the game looks. It's definitely not the most visually stunning game on the market (it does support DX11 though, I know that matters to some), but there's just something about it that I like. It looks really gritty, kind of like MAG in my opinion.

Lastly, I really like that the game DOESNT have destructible environments. It's the one thing I really hate about BC2, in that shitties don't have to aim and actually shoot someone, they can just fire a tube or rocket at the side of a building and blow you up. I prefer that to kill someone, in most cases you're going to have to shoot them.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone else really excited for Homefront on Monday night? I've been watching multiplayer vids all day (granted, most of it's Xbox footage, but it's nice to check out the maps). Speaking of maps, those are what I'm most excited for. They seem to be relatively large and they don't focus on one specific thing which means they'll be great for multiple play styles/strategies. They all seem to have a mix of closed quarters combat along with more open areas that allow for sniping and whatnot.

Also, not sure what it is, but I really like the way the game looks. It's definitely not the most visually stunning game on the market (it does support DX11 though, I know that matters to some), but there's just something about it that I like. It looks really gritty, kind of like MAG in my opinion.

Lastly, I really like that the game DOESNT have destructible environments. It's the one thing I really hate about BC2, in that shitties don't have to aim and actually shoot someone, they can just fire a tube or rocket at the side of a building and blow you up. I prefer that to kill someone, in most cases you're going to have to shoot them.[/QUOTE]

I guess I really hadn't considered the MP portion of the game. I was just planning on getting the 360 disc from Gamefly, playing the SP and then sending it back. I didn't think the game would hold my attention long enough to consider spending $50 for the PC version.

I'll pay attention to the critic/comminity reaction though. If it's overwhelmingly positive, then I might look into getting it. The last thing I need though is a MP game to get addicted to. Been trying to work through my backlog and I've been on a roll for the past month or so.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone else really excited for Homefront on Monday night? I've been watching multiplayer vids all day (granted, most of it's Xbox footage, but it's nice to check out the maps). Speaking of maps, those are what I'm most excited for. They seem to be relatively large and they don't focus on one specific thing which means they'll be great for multiple play styles/strategies. They all seem to have a mix of closed quarters combat along with more open areas that allow for sniping and whatnot.

Lastly, I really like that the game DOESNT have destructible environments. It's the one thing I really hate about BC2, in that shitties don't have to aim and actually shoot someone, they can just fire a tube or rocket at the side of a building and blow you up. I prefer that to kill someone, in most cases you're going to have to shoot them.[/QUOTE]

I'm calling it now; $15 or less on the next Steam holiday sale.

Judging by how badly they are trying to get people to pre-order the game, I expect a huge flop. I don't think the game looks bad, just nothing exceptional.

I don't really think they're trying "badly" to get pre-orders. They gave it a pre-order TF2 item, TONS of Steamworks games have been given that treatment.

[quote name='SEH']I don't really think they're trying "badly" to get pre-orders. They gave it a pre-order TF2 item, TONS of Steamworks games have been given that treatment.[/QUOTE]

PS3 and 360 get a freaking headset, PC folks get Metro 2033 plus the TF2 gear if you get it on Steam. I'm not saying it's bad to have pre-order bonuses, hats off to them for incenting players to get in on their game day one, but that's the kind of stuff I imagine they throw in once initial pre-order numbers come in low.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']PS3 and 360 get a freaking headset, PC folks get Metro 2033 plus the TF2 gear if you get it on Steam. I'm not saying it's bad to have pre-order bonuses, hats off to them for incenting players to get in on their game day one, but that's the kind of stuff I imagine they throw in once initial pre-order numbers come in low.[/QUOTE]

It's the most pre-ordered game in THQ history. Did some of those pre-orders come after they added said bonuses? Probably, but I also know quite a few people who've had their copies pre-ordered for months, long before there was any freebies being offered.

I think the game will have a pretty good community. The Steam forums are really active and there's a pretty good buzz going around on Overclock. I don't particularly foresee the game being $15 in the next Holiday sale. I could see them however offering some type of four-pack (which would've been nice from the get go).

[quote name='Chacrana']Homefront is going to be a fucking disaster. It will not be good.

100% sure. I will eat crow if mistaken.[/QUOTE]

What are you basing this off of? Gameplay looks great, the studio heading up PC development has done great things in the past, and they're taking care of PC users?

I'm really kind of tired of this day and age where any new IP that comes along is automatically perceived as shit because it doesn't have a popular franchise name plastered on it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Homefront is going to be a fucking disaster. It will not be good.

100% sure. I will eat crow if mistaken.[/QUOTE]

So what has to happen for it to qualify as "good," so that you'll eat that crow? A certain metacritic score, or you personally have to like it, or what?

[quote name='SEH']What are you basing this off of? Gameplay looks great, the studio heading up PC development has done great things in the past, and they're taking care of PC users?

I'm really kind of tired of this day and age where any new IP that comes along is automatically perceived as shit because it doesn't have a popular franchise name plastered on it.[/QUOTE]

it really sucks, there doesnt seem to be any desire to try new things unless its a spinoff of an established franchise.

[quote name='SEH']What are you basing this off of? Gameplay looks great, the studio heading up PC development has done great things in the past, and they're taking care of PC users?

I'm really kind of tired of this day and age where any new IP that comes along is automatically perceived as shit because it doesn't have a popular franchise name plastered on it.[/QUOTE]
To me it really doesn't look like much more than a Call of Duty clone, which is unfortunate since the premise of the game sounded interesting.

[quote name='YodaEXE']To me it really doesn't look like much more than a Call of Duty clone, which is unfortunate since the premise of the game sounded interesting.[/QUOTE]

So what characteristics make it look like a "Call of Duty clone"? I hope something other than the fact that it's an FPS with set-pieces.

[quote name='YodaEXE']To me it really doesn't look like much more than a Call of Duty clone, which is unfortunate since the premise of the game sounded interesting.[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand this comment. The only thing that Homefront has blatantly aped from COD is perks. Aside from that one mechanic, the gameplay is vastly different. Rather than focusing on fast paced, close-quarter combat, Homefront takes a more tactical approach with larger maps and is much more teamwork oriented.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So what characteristics make it look like a "Call of Duty clone"? I hope something other than the fact that it's an FPS with set-pieces.[/QUOTE]

Didnt you know, COD was the first FPS ever created. Anything that comes after it is clearly a "clone".

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So what characteristics make it look like a "Call of Duty clone"? I hope something other than the fact that it's an FPS with set-pieces.[/QUOTE]

Now, I'm not usually one to say games are rip offs of each other. But the single player looks like another call of duty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRv0dCOWbk

I won't say much about the MP though, I don't know much about it.

bread's done
Back