The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='Megazell']I noticed a slow down too awhile back. In fact, my entire friend list did not load once and since then I had to re-add friends and group. I've also be unable to gift for like 2 months straight then last week I was able to gift.

I decided to only have 10 to 40 games installed from STEAM at a time and just knock out all of the SP stuff first so that I can leave the MP stuff installed to play with others.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was just me. Steam has gotten progressively worse over time. This week alone I've had to do restarts for inventory not loading, Steam just forever processing an uninstall, and taking forever to activate a key.

[quote name='dfg']I wonder if having less total Steam files installed would improve client performance significantly.
[/QUOTE]

I had a corrupted Steam installation a few months back and I took that opportunity to uninstall Steam, blow the folder structure away, and then reinstall onto a new internal hard disk. The only real change I noticed was that Steam started up faster. Everything else seeemed about the same to me. But I also don't keep more than 5-8 games installed at a time. But wow, there were so many old sub-folders from games and demos that I had previously installed/uninstalled.

Don't forget that if you want to try something like this, you don't have to re-download all of your games. You can use the game backup utility in Steam to backup your games somewhere else. Then reinstall from the backups after you've reinstalled Steam. It's not fast by any means, but it's faster than downloading, unless you have access to a really fat pipe.

I wish, when a game updates, that clicking on "View Details" would actually give me details, instead of taking me to the game's entry in my Library, where more often than not, there is no info about what the hell the update was about.

[quote name='dfg']I wish, when a game updates, that clicking on "View Details" would actually give me details, instead of taking me to the game's entry in my Library, where more often than not, there is no info about what the hell the update was about.[/QUOTE]

The update info is considered "News".

From the Downloads page, click "View News" (it's right next to "View Details".)

From the library, right-click on your game, select "View News".

Or, from the store page, click "Read Related News" in the right column at the very bottom.

Sometimes, the actual update information takes an hour or two to show up in the game's News feed. If, by chance, you're looking for the update info for the Civ 5 patch that hit today, it's already there in the news feed; lots of details.

[quote name='red flare graf']I think you guys have bad luck, I've had the same Steam install since Windows 7 came out and no issues at all. :cool:

Crap, knock on wood..[/QUOTE]

How many games do you have installed on STEAM?

[quote name='Megazell']How many games do you have installed on STEAM?[/QUOTE]

62, recently uninstalled some to clear up disk space but not many. I have 130ish games.

mine is all bollocksed up. A couple weeks ago I reinstalled steam according to their process and my entire library of installed games was greyed out. the files themselves were never moved and were still in place. Steam will sometimes verify the files when i tell it to install and be done in seconds, other times it will redownload the entire game as if it was a fresh install. Steam support was useless.

[quote name='gcorlett']The update info is considered "News".

From the Downloads page, click "View News" (it's right next to "View Details".)

From the library, right-click on your game, select "View News".

Or, from the store page, click "Read Related News" in the right column at the very bottom.

Sometimes, the actual update information takes an hour or two to show up in the game's News feed. If, by chance, you're looking for the update info for the Civ 5 patch that hit today, it's already there in the news feed; lots of details.[/QUOTE]

Not Civ 5, but Killing Floor. And there is nothing in the recent KF news feed regarding the update. I surmise it has something to do with an RO2 update, such as how TF2 updates push through DOD:S too.

I was aware of the two buttons right next to each other, but I guess what I'm bitching for is a changelog or something to accompany the update, and to appear when clicking View Details. As in, view-the-details-of-this-transient-update-item. The News area should be reserved for the industry babble that regularly overpopulates that section.

[quote name='dfg']Not Civ 5, but Killing Floor. And there is nothing in the recent KF news feed regarding the update. I surmise it has something to do with an RO2 update, such as how TF2 updates push through DOD:S too.

I was aware of the two buttons right next to each other, but I guess what I'm bitching for is a changelog or something to accompany the update, and to appear when clicking View Details. As in, view-the-details-of-this-transient-update-item. The News area should be reserved for the industry babble that regularly overpopulates that section.[/QUOTE]

Totally with you on this. Love that Steam auto-updates, but I'd like to know what I'm getting, if I care to.

Regarding your theory about an RO2 update -- could be. I wonder if they share common files the way all of the Source games do.

But: Alternative theory! A silent update in preparation for the Summer Sale metagame! KF usually participates.

[quote name='red flare graf']62, recently uninstalled some to clear up disk space but not many. I have 130ish games.[/QUOTE]

When you have over 200 installed is when I noticed problems.

[quote name='Megazell']When you have over 200 installed is when I noticed problems.[/QUOTE]

Ah I see, I've probably never had more than 80 installed.. I've got 1.5TB of disk space and it's still not enough.

Sorry if this isn't the thread to ask, i'm fairly new to buying consistently on Steam. Does anyone sell codes? I'd like one for Mass Effect 3 (IK it's origin) and Serious Sam 3.

[quote name='plus1zero']Sorry if this isn't the thread to ask, i'm fairly new to buying consistently on Steam. Does anyone sell codes? I'd like one for Mass Effect 3 (IK it's origin) and Serious Sam 3.[/QUOTE]

A. There is no Mass Effect 3 on Steam

B. For anything else you want to buy, wait another week or so. The Steam summer sale should be starting at the end of next week, during which nearly everything will be on sale. I would expect to see a strong daily deal on Serious Sam 3 sometime during the sale.

C. If you're just getting into Steam buying, get cozy in the Steam Deals thread. Just be sensible, and no one will bite. You'll also want to read over the guide in my signature.

Also posted in the deal thread, but I felt it deserved the crosspost:

Someone from the Free To Play Fridays group has been sending out phishing links over Steam. Friendly reminder to be careful and don't click links someone sends you promising free games, Steam Wallet, etc.

http://imgur.com/YwLcn

"Steam needs to convert the game content for "Killing Floor" to a new, more efficient format. This will require an Internet connection and a few minutes' time."

Yay?

edit: and then post-conversion, a 454 MB DL of missing content.

This is a minor inconvenience, but I thought the point of keeping a game installed on Steam was that it did this stuff in the background, so that I could just... play. Meh.

I believe that's part of the slow transition of game files so they can download only the pieces that changed instead of downloading the whole file during patching, saving everyone bandwidth.

Is L4D2 community always been this bad? I'm not saying I'm good or anything, but people won't stop bitching. Guess I'll stick to friends for that game.

[quote name='dejeckt']Is L4D2 community always been this bad? I'm not saying I'm good or anything, but people won't stop bitching. Guess I'll stick to friends for that game.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't bad when I played L4D2 more. I actually met some pretty cool people and had a ton of fun about 95% of the time.

[quote name='dejeckt']Is L4D2 community always been this bad? I'm not saying I'm good or anything, but people won't stop bitching. Guess I'll stick to friends for that game.[/QUOTE]

The public servers for me have been more bad than good. I've met 4 decent people/players. The rest are either control freaks or people with anger issues.

This is what happens most of time when I pub in that games:

Get kicked for killing Tank too fast.
Get kicked for doing 25 pt hunter pounces.
Get screamed at for charging out of the window killing a player - Supposedly that's considered a "glitch" and unfair for the other team.
Get screamed at for spitting in the vent during the finale of Mercy Hospital - Supposedly that's a glitch too.

Like you...I just stuck to family and friends for that one. It seems to be the only way to enjoy it.

Just bought the complete Grand Theft Auto collection for 10 bucks. I've played them all on consoles, beaten them all, but having them all on steam is a must.

Anyone want to see my Steam haul...? I've been through several Steam sales. However, this is the first sale in which I decided to buy almost all of the games on my wishlist as well as some games I currently own in physical form. I'm switching completely to digital, so I figured this was a good time to get digital copies of some of my games. :)

Mafia II DLC - Jimmys Vendetta
Mafia II DLC Joe's Adventures
Mafia II DLC - Renegade
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai - Saga Faction Pack DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai - Obama Faction Pack DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai - Tsu Faction Pack DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai - Sendai Faction Pack
Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
Anno 2070 Pack
Toy Soldiers
Alice Madness Returns
Ys Origin
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Pack
Star Wars: KOTOR
Frozen Synapse: Soundtrack
Frozen Synapse: Red DLC
Civ V Cradle DLC: Mediterranean
Civ V Explorers Map Pack DLC
Civ V Wonders of the Ancient DLC
Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham City: Harley Quinn
Hitman Collection
The Walking Dead
Microsoft Flight Summer Sale Bundle
Vessel
Two Worlds II Bundle
Prince of Persia
PixelJunk Eden Soundtrack
Yesterday
Grand Theft Auto Complete Pack
Shoot Many Robots
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Company of Heroes Complete
Dawn of War Complete
Dawn of War II Complete
Saboteur
Chantelise
Sins Trinity
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle
Fortune Summoners
BIT.TRIP.BEAT Soundtrack
Galactic Civilizations II
Red Faction Complete Bundle
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction - Echelon Edition
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Spec Ops: The Line
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Risen
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Oblivion Game of the Year Deluxe
Morrowind Game of the Year
Arma II: Combined Operations (NA)
Dawn of War II: Retribution - Complete DLC Bundle
SEGA Classics: Columns
Delve Deeper + Treasures and Tunnels DLC
Blackwell Deception
Legend of Fae
Inside a Star Filled Sky
SEGA Classics: Columns III
Avernum: Escape From the Pit
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Sega Mega Drive Classics 5 - Complete

Total: $377.48
(Total Retail Prices - If I would have bought the games at current full prices: $1308.22)
(Total Saved: $930.74)
(Percentage of Retail Paid: 28.85%)

It may seem crazy, but if you look at my calculations, I made out like a bandit. :D

YAY! First daily deal after Summer Sale is Jade Empire! It was one of a few games I wanted a good discount on during the sale. Great way to help get over the Summer Sale withdrawal. :D

This was the first Steam sale I really actively took place in. I didn't do too bad. I managed to stay under $60 and walked aways with 12 games in total.

Did anybody posit that it was EA who pulled the 75% discount on Jade Empire stunt the day after the Summer sale? Like, to undermine people's faith in Steam and drive them to Origin and work in tandem with the secret banking cabal to dominate the digital download market?

Anybody seen my tinfoil hat?

[quote name='Megazell']The public servers for me have been more bad than good. I've met 4 decent people/players. The rest are either control freaks or people with anger issues.

This is what happens most of time when I pub in that games:

Get kicked for killing Tank too fast.
Get kicked for doing 25 pt hunter pounces.
Get screamed at for charging out of the window killing a player - Supposedly that's considered a "glitch" and unfair for the other team.
Get screamed at for spitting in the vent during the finale of Mercy Hospital - Supposedly that's a glitch too.

Like you...I just stuck to family and friends for that one. It seems to be the only way to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I don't play all that much, but I've never seen people get kicked for being too good lol. I have seen a lot of whiners/complainers/ragers though. When I get in a pub game, I usually am either kicked for being too "noob" or I get frustrated playing with griefers.

[quote name='sumoboy21']I don't play all that much, but I've never seen people get kicked for being too good lol. I have seen a lot of whiners/complainers/ragers though. When I get in a pub game, I usually am either kicked for being too "noob" or I get frustrated playing with griefers.[/QUOTE]

I got kicked once in a multiplayer game... playing the Spitter and not being aggressive enough got me booted.

I also once quit in embarrassment playing a public survival match. I just didn't have the skills that the other players had and I kept getting tripped up on spots in the map. When they started complaining about me, I just apologized and ducked out in shame, lol.

L4D/2 is definitely a "bring your own friends" game. casual games with people you know are so much fun. The learning curve is very gentle and the game AI goes easy on new players. (An often-unnoticed fact).

Every time you play with a friend who brings a friend who is not a douche, make sure you add that person to your friends list and let them know that you're up for playing. Pretty soon you'll have a big group of regulars who you sort-of know.

And the game is so inexpensive now, you can share 4-packs if you have friends who you want to bring yourself.

[quote name='sumoboy21']I don't play all that much, but I've never seen people get kicked for being too good lol. I have seen a lot of whiners/complainers/ragers though. When I get in a pub game, I usually am either kicked for being too "noob" or I get frustrated playing with griefers.[/QUOTE]

I just played a round right now with 1 friend and 2 pugs.

The game was close by 113 or so points each round. At the end, we had a pug telling me to ditch the Spitter for a Charger - Finale - Mercy Hospital. I stuck with my Spitter while this guy cried on the mic. I had 2 ppl stuck on the vent and 1 player tried to jump over which my gf caught as a smoker and he was dropped dead when they fired on the tongue. We went on to win and this dude would not shut up about the Charger even though we still got the kill. Did not even want to acknowledge it. After the kill he tried to vote kick me out. He got the :roll:.

Speaking of L4D 2 - Recently, I tried talking on the mic while playing and people are saying that it's loud and that they can hear ingame music/sound fx.

I have not change a single setting and my headset is the same for the last 9 years.

Now when I play other games like Killing Floor, AVA and others no one complains and says the mic is working fine.

When I chat with people in STEAM chat - same deal - no problem.

Any clues? Maybe the latest L4D2 or STEAM patch messed with something?

Hello Steam people. I'm about to build a new mid-high range rig (i5 3470, 7870) and I'm brand-new to Steam. I haven't played PC games in ten years. And I have a few questions!

1) I've been building a small, cheap PC library (so far Morrowind and Binding of Isaac from Steam, the four THQ Gold packs that were on sale today, Disciples II from GMG, and the old Bioware set from GameStop). So it's a bunch of old games to play on my fancy new machine. What I'd like is a recommendation for something that will make my eyes bleed in happiness, preferably something that supports gamepads. Any ideas?

2) I have a large console backlog which I'd like to convert into a PC backlog where I can. Are there any particular games that are much better on PC or, conversely, much worse? I've been looking for a site similar to Lens of Truth that makes the comparisons but I can't find anything. I know GTA IV is a PC pig and that Dragon Age and Skyrim are much better on PC. Anything else to know? Anything so much better on PC that I should replay it even if I've played the console version? I've heard the Fallouts are much better but I've played those to death. And specifically how do Arkham City and the Mass Effects compare on PC?

3) Apparently since I bought Supreme Commander from THQ I have two keys. What can I do with the extra one? Can I give it away? Can I trade it? I don't know how this works.

Thanks for the help! I'll be joining the Steam CAG group ASAP.

My brother got kicked like a handful of times while i was watching him play BF3. Usually after killing a certain player a lot. Probably server admins. LOL

So...

Steam is evolving and this thread lies dormant.

Namtrahj, I'll be back to update this with a courtesy reply.

[quote name='namtrahj']Hello Steam people. I'm about to build a new mid-high range rig (i5 3470, 7870) and I'm brand-new to Steam. I haven't played PC games in ten years. And I have a few questions!

1) I've been building a small, cheap PC library (so far Morrowind and Binding of Isaac from Steam, the four THQ Gold packs that were on sale today, Disciples II from GMG, and the old Bioware set from GameStop). So it's a bunch of old games to play on my fancy new machine. What I'd like is a recommendation for something that will make my eyes bleed in happiness, preferably something that supports gamepads. Any ideas?

2) I have a large console backlog which I'd like to convert into a PC backlog where I can. Are there any particular games that are much better on PC or, conversely, much worse? I've been looking for a site similar to Lens of Truth that makes the comparisons but I can't find anything. I know GTA IV is a PC pig and that Dragon Age and Skyrim are much better on PC. Anything else to know? Anything so much better on PC that I should replay it even if I've played the console version? I've heard the Fallouts are much better but I've played those to death. And specifically how do Arkham City and the Mass Effects compare on PC?

3) Apparently since I bought Supreme Commander from THQ I have two keys. What can I do with the extra one? Can I give it away? Can I trade it? I don't know how this works.

Thanks for the help! I'll be joining the Steam CAG group ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Crap, I knew I forgot something.

1. Besides the newest AAA titles, I think PC gamers still like to use Crysis 1 and Metro 2033 to benchmark their shiny new rigs. I don't stay current with that bleeding edge so I can't offer much more than that sorry. Don't forget that quite a few games, even older ones, have mods to improve graphics, so Google those.

2. Not being a console gamer, can't help much here. Hadn't heard of Lens of Truth before but it looks interesting; a lot of PC gamers use Tom's Hardware for reviews but I'm not sure if they do game comparisons as well.

3. I've seen several copies of SC up on Steamgifts. That's one route, or you could sell or trade it.

Sorry there hasn't been much of a response to you from the community here. Like Genocidal said, there's a lot more discussion on the "Deals" thread, but these days it's a lot more off-topic than it used to be. Still, there's some useful info to be found.

Looks like the new Community stuff is live for everyone now.

Steam Greenlight. Cool stuff. Trolled to shit, but now:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/green-for-greenlight-valve-now-charging-100-fee/
Granted, the presences of, say, Rogue Warrior, FlatOut 3, and Bad Rats on Steam proper lend credence to the idea that even Valve’s selection process is far from perfect.
Also, cool that Dejobaan will lend the $100 to a starving dev in need to get on GL:
http://www.dejobaan.com/greenlight100/

[quote name='dfg']Looks like the new Community stuff is live for everyone now.

Steam Greenlight. Cool stuff. Trolled to shit, but now:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/05/green-for-greenlight-valve-now-charging-100-fee/
Also, cool that Dejobaan will lend the $100 to a starving dev in need to get on GL:
http://www.dejobaan.com/greenlight100/[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of it, cuts the list down to a more manageable size and eliminates at least some of the stinkers.

Also, that's pretty nice of Dejobaan to do that. An indie dev helping other indie devs, it just makes me feel all warm inside.

:grouphug:

UPDATE NEWS - STEAM

Latest Update: September 4, 2012
Added Game Hubs[-]
September 4, 2012 - Steam Client Update Released

Client notes:

• Added global Steam Discussions area, accessible in the Community sub-navigation
  • Updated visual look of user group pages
  • Added discussions to user groups
  • Added new Moderator level to user groups
  • Updated user screenshots, videos, and personal Workshop pages
  • Updated visual look of the blotter and renamed it to “Friend Activity”
  • Added "My Activity" in-line with "Friend Activity"
  • Added ability to post a status update and tag it with a game
  • Added "Share on Steam" option for screenshots, videos, and Workshop items detail pages that will post a preview as a status update in “Friend Activity”
  • Pasting YouTubeâ„¢ links into your status update will show a preview of the video and clicking on it will play the video.
  • Added ability to rate up status updates, screenshots, and videos
  • Added display of which friends most recently rated up status posts, screenshots, and other items in the friend activity feed
  • Added BBCode support to descriptions for screenshots, videos, and Workshop items
  • Re-organized the Community sub-navigation to include: Friends, Profile, Game Hubs, Discussions, Workshop, and Greenlight

bread's done
Back