The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Looking for steam friends... NerdyRocker54
also does anyone know where i can get an image of case badges/stickers?
looking for intel, amd 6850, win 7 badges... the only one i got was g,skill when i bought ram...

I'm still getting used to Steam, but does it track your achievements much like the Xbox 360 or PS3 do? Is there a way to view a score or total of all my achievements like you can on consoles?

[quote name='Blackout']I'm still getting used to Steam, but does it track your achievements much like the Xbox 360 or PS3 do? Is there a way to view a score or total of all my achievements like you can on consoles?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Click profile and/or view achievements. Remember achievements/badges started on the PC so the tracking is not even a problem. Enjoy.

[quote name='Blackout']I'm still getting used to Steam, but does it track your achievements much like the Xbox 360 or PS3 do? Is there a way to view a score or total of all my achievements like you can on consoles?[/QUOTE]

Steam itself doesn't give you a total achievement score, as I believe it does on Live with the Gamerscore, but there are several independent websites that track cumulative achievements.

I've used:

http://steamscore.net
http://steam.jsarabians.com/steam/Lookup.aspx
http://steamachievementhunters.com
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/index.php
http://www.achievementstats.com

And then there's Raptr, and GiantBomb which kinda track them.

Thanks guys. I'm going to check out some of those links. I'm still getting used to playing PC games.

Just got the THQ Bundle and trying to enjoy the games but during Metro 2033 and Darksiders - I get nonstop screenshots being taken while I'm playing. Must be a key combo I am hitting that activates it or sometimes. Is there a way to disable screenshots through STEAM all together?

Gabe Newell confirms plans for Steam Box gaming console

In an interview with Kotaku, Valve boss Gabe Newell confirmed the company's plans for its own gaming console. While the console itself will virtually be a PC, the 'Steam Box' will be specially designed for the living room. This can easily be done with the Big Picture mode for Steam, which was launched earlier this month. Newell revealed that the console would be going head to head with next-gen gaming consoles.

Seems redundant.

^ It's not for me but I can see a lot of people at the LAN parties I go to going this route for their weekly meetups.

Anyone know the correct way to back up games that have expansion packs?

I got Company of Heroes in some deal, that included two expansions, Opposing Forces, and Tales of Valor.

When I use the backup tool, should I do all three together? All three separately? When I back up just Company of Heroes it seems to also include one of the two expansions, so maybe I back up those two, and then the other one separately?

In the past I've discovered Steam's backup tool doesn't restore right at all if you back up more than one game at a time, and sometimes even still it'll sit there and download part of the game even though it's supposedly all on disc, so just wondered what the correct procedure was for games with expansions.

Wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a PS3 controller to work with the Source games.. (TF2, L4D and Portal)on a Mac too (just picked up a MBP retina 15)

I can't program the controller to move around, shoot or even control the menus

YouTube has been of no help

[quote name='jgon85']Wondering if anyone has successfully gotten a PS3 controller to work with the Source games.. (TF2, L4D and Portal)on a Mac too (just picked up a MBP retina 15)

I can't program the controller to move around, shoot or even control the menus

YouTube has been of no help[/QUOTE]

I did it for a friend using Joy2Key.

[quote name='contej85']That thread says it's for gift buys and requests.

*edit*

Though looking through, looks like it's been hijacked. lol[/QUOTE]

We have lots of threads here like that. I hope we get it right when new threads are created on CAG 3.0.

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone know if there's a way to search in Steam for 3D supported games?[/QUOTE]

I don't know but maybe people at WSGF or SPUF might know.

I've been doing lots of PC gaming on Steam recently. Mostly Counter-Strike Global Offensive (where I just made it to Gold Nova Master, oh yeah!) and Binding of Isaac recently. I have been HOOKED on Binding of Isaac and have played about 40 hours in the last couple weeks. Yesterday I went to the Cathedral for the first time and won, with ??? no less...it was a pretty crazy run.

[quote name='litepink']Question: if I buy the MS Bundle from Amazon, can I give away some of the codes to international friends? Like the UK and AU?[/QUOTE]

Some games do have region restrictions, often because a country does not allow an unaltered game to be sold for censorship reasons, other times because of licensing issues, others because of big price differences by region.

It wouldn't hurt to find out ahead of time. I don't know of any quick way to find out if a particular game has region restrictions.

[quote name='dfg']You'd think there'd be a way to check game stats for a group, like you can with friends, but apparently not.[/QUOTE]

I think you could view total hours played for games and top played games before they changed the community layout. I'm not 100% sure but I feel like I remember that.

[quote name='TruthinessFC']Is there a Dota 2 thread and/or CAG group I've missed? Been getting into it since the holidays but I know there must be CAGs playing somewhere...[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same thing... However, my searches came up empty :whistle2:k. I do see lots of people playing Dota 2 in the steam community.

[quote name='ultimatex']I was thinking of buying the valve complete pack for $100. Is that a good deal or does it drop in price a lot.[/QUOTE]

It goes on sale during the major sales during summer and winter for $50 and occasionally at other times during the year. Its not an awful deal but it can be had for cheaper.

What you guys think of the beta trading?
I had just come here to talk about this, after seeing a couple of my friends got invites the other day. I've definitely been living under a rock because this is the first I've heard about all of this. It seems like a unique twist on achievements and seems to add more value to the community. I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that I haven't tried to earn badges during the last two sales.

So, um, anybody got any invites?

They added booster packs so now it's even easier to obtain cards. And you don't even have to play a game for it to pop up in your inventory(as long as you meet the requirements). Very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. I want to get in on that Sniper Elite DLC 4 Pack but my paypal account is all sorts of screwed up.

I don't mind if someone else wants to host the pack and I pay them but obviously i can't do a paypal-paypal transfer. Is it possible to send someone money without an account thru like an invoice or something and does anyone wanna group up for that Nazi pack?

ahh found the right thread. nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to sound really dumb, but I'm a newb to Steam. What's the difference between Steam keys and Steam gifts (the way people offer them for trade)?

This is going to sound really dumb, but I'm a newb to Steam. What's the difference between Steam keys and Steam gifts (the way people offer them for trade)?
Steam keys are a code that you redeem in the Steam client. Usually they come from 3rd-party digital vendors, like Amazon or Green Man Gaming, or from bundles (Humble Bundle, Groupees). Sometimes a CD-key will double as a Steam key.

Gifts are items bought in the Steam store but put into the buyer's inventory instead of their library. They can be gifted or traded through the client.

Steam keys are a code that you redeem in the Steam client. Usually they come from 3rd-party digital vendors, like Amazon or Green Man Gaming, or from bundles (Humble Bundle, Groupees). Sometimes a CD-key will double as a Steam key.

Gifts are items bought in the Steam store but put into the buyer's inventory instead of their library. They can be gifted or traded through the client.
Thank you very much for the clarification, I was clueless prior to this xD

Sorry for being a bother, but one more Steam question. Is there a way for me to verify a Steam code before I use it (like on the Xbox 360)?

Just picked up Walking Mars for $2.50. I've been wanting to play this for awhile now.
I was thinking about getting it. Looks neat! I have it on iOS, but I never play anything on my clunky iPhone 4 and don't really want to. If it were on 3DS or Vita for $2.50, it would be an instant buy.

So I have a couple categories, mainly just one for games I will never have an interest in and games that are my favourites and play often.

They keep losing the category and will randomly just go back into the general game list. And it's not because of a game's patch/update, quite a few of them havent been updated in a long time and still do that crap.

Anyone know of the reason why? It's annoying AF

I wonder why they don't fix that.

As far as I know, it's something to do with Steam updating, although I could be totally wrong about that, too!

bread's done
Back