The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Warband is $15 again, too... Is that Strategy First? Lots of stuff on sale for whatever reason.

It's too bad Disciples III isn't still Strategy First. Then again, it looks kinda disappointing anyway. :/

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Warband is $15 again, too... Is that Strategy First? Lots of stuff on sale for whatever reason.

It's too bad Disciples III isn't still Strategy First. Then again, it looks kinda disappointing anyway. :/[/QUOTE]

It's trash. Don't bother. The game storyline is incomplete and you have to get DLC to finish the story you start in D3. I am not talking cliff hanger either...I am talking about mid sentence abrupt stop in the story...give us more money if you want to hear the rest of the sentence type of deal. The game's AI is weak too. I have seen people break through the cities capital with 1 war party in one try...Trashtastic.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Warband is $15 again, too... Is that Strategy First? Lots of stuff on sale for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

The 50% off sale is actually for Paradox Interactive (who did indeed publish Warband). My bad.

There's one thing that sticks out with Alien Swarm as being completely absurd and OP. The fucking headcrabs. No matter the difficulty, they jump on your head and drain your health insanely fast. As a medic, it takes just about half the the medi-gun to help a teammate live through a headcrab (there's no other way to bash or shoot them off).

On insane difficulty, they'll kill someone in about five seconds. They kind of ruin the game IMO since even the best group of players working together very well can easily get dominated by those damn things.

[quote name='SEH']There's one thing that sticks out with Alien Swarm as being completely absurd and OP. The fucking headcrabs. No matter the difficulty, they jump on your head and drain your health insanely fast. As a medic, it takes just about half the the medi-gun to help a teammate live through a headcrab (there's no other way to bash or shoot them off).

On insane difficulty, they'll kill someone in about five seconds. They kind of ruin the game IMO since even the best group of players working together very well can easily get dominated by those damn things.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are completely annoying. By the time you realize they're on you, it's often too late. I hope people complain and they revise how those enemies work.

[quote name='SEH']There's one thing that sticks out with Alien Swarm as being completely absurd and OP. The fucking headcrabs. No matter the difficulty, they jump on your head and drain your health insanely fast. As a medic, it takes just about half the the medi-gun to help a teammate live through a headcrab (there's no other way to bash or shoot them off).

On insane difficulty, they'll kill someone in about five seconds. They kind of ruin the game IMO since even the best group of players working together very well can easily get dominated by those damn things.[/QUOTE]

I agree and this surprised me totally. Valve always takes such care to not add any elements in games that just totally stop the fun be here it is. Even with a medic using his healing gun on you, it still ends up taking about a fifth of your whole ammo so 3-4 facehuggers + regular damage and you're out of ammo.

Also, a few interesting stuffs:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371677

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371124

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I agree and this surprised me totally. Valve always takes such care to not add any elements in games that just totally stop the fun be here it is. Even with a medic using his healing gun on you, it still ends up taking about a fifth of your whole ammo so 3-4 facehuggers + regular damage and you're out of ammo.

Also, a few interesting stuffs:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371677

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371124[/QUOTE]

I've been using custom music for the big battles. It kind of sucks though because even though it lets you import multiple songs, it doesn't shuffle them, so since boss battles don't last very long, you never get past the first song and it's the one that plays every time.

Alien Swarm just got a ton of bugfixes, nothing too exciting. Notable things include

XP and level are stored in the Steam Cloud
Added console commands to change game access on the fly (make_game_public and make_game_friends_only)
Fixed duplicate rows in the "Find Public Games" screen

[quote name='freddy_']Mafia 2 pre-order incl the first game.
not sure if i should get it now, never played the first one and who knows how good the 2nd is...[/QUOTE]

The first one was magnificent...well at least it was when it was first released. But I still imagine it's held up well since the gameplay was excellent. I'm really looking forward to part 2 but I'll be waiting on a sale (of course).

I'm real glad I don't get the option to buy Mafia... it's either preorder Mafia 2 for $50 or nothing :roll:

Oh wait, after launch we will get the opportunity to buy the game for $9.99... doesn't make a lot of sense, imo. I'd rather buy the first game now to see if I even like the series.

No way I'll ever preorder a Steamworks game through Steam since they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper retail or through other outlets in no time, and hell, for all we know 2K will fuck up the PC version.

[quote name='eastx']Risen is back on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

Just $40. :p

Also Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalker got an update that reduces CPU usage, yay. Plus it lets you pay to unlock decks or buy foil cards, but nobody cares about that.[/QUOTE]
I really, really, want Risen, but not for that much.

Got Gothic 2 gold from the sale and has to be one of my new favorite games of all time. I've read Risen is pretty much a Gothic game in all but name.

After trying the free weekend for lead and gold so far i am left wondering is it just me or do alot of people experience quite a bit if dropped games and laggy gameplay? I was really interested in the game until i started playing it tonight.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam doesnt like updating my games very well. They'll start downloading then just goto suspended. I can try to resume the downloads, but they just suspend themselves again.

[quote name='Waughoo']Steam doesnt like updating my games very well. They'll start downloading then just goto suspended. I can try to resume the downloads, but they just suspend themselves again.[/QUOTE]

Steams been doing that to me the past day or two. Pretty sure it has to do with their servers being swamped due to Alien Swarm.

Does anyone know if not having followed Homestar Runner for several years will affect my enjoyment of Strong Bad season 1?

[quote name='dfg']Does anyone know if not having followed Homestar Runner for several years will affect my enjoyment of Strong Bad season 1?[/QUOTE]

I had fun, and I haven't seen that site in like 5 years.

Would anyone happen to have a spare copy of DiRT or GRID from the sales? I'm picking up a wheel off of craigslist today and would be willing to buy a copy (I know it's a long shot but worth asking)

[quote name='eastx']Risen is back on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40300/

Just $40. :p

Also Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalker got an update that reduces CPU usage, yay. Plus it lets you pay to unlock decks or buy foil cards, but nobody cares about that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I want Risen. I'm selling my disc-copy for $20 and hoping I can get the Steam copy for $12 come holiday. :) (Yes, I realize how stupid all that sounds.)

Speaking of stupid, I don't get that foil card thing and paying to unlock decks....... I hope no one spends any money on that.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Speaking of stupid, I don't get that foil card thing and paying to unlock decks....... I hope no one spends any money on that.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, there is a bit of work that goes in to adding new cards and 99c is hardly much to extend the life of a game. My only problem is the volume (22 for christ's sake!) but at least they offer a complete pack. I'll totally buy that if it goes on sale.

fuck yeah, there's a new client beta out, that finally adds tabs to friends chat and the overlay browser. That'll eliminate a ton of screen clutter, when you're chatting with more than one friend.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']To be fair, there is a bit of work that goes in to adding new cards and 99c is hardly much to extend the life of a game. My only problem is the volume (22 for christ's sake!) but at least they offer a complete pack. I'll totally buy that if it goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

You know that the unlocking decks DLC just unlocks the decks you would get by beating campaign anyway, right? Well, it also makes all the cards unlocked so that you don't need to win battles with the decks to get their cards. It's a big time saver, but that's the only advantage. They're not selling new decks.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']fuck yeah, there's a new client beta out, that finally adds tabs to friends chat and the overlay browser. That'll eliminate a ton of screen clutter, when you're chatting with more than one friend.[/QUOTE]

Awesomeness!

[quote name='eastx']You know that the unlocking decks DLC just unlocks the decks you would get by beating campaign anyway, right? Well, it also makes all the cards unlocked so that you don't need to win battles with the decks to get their cards. It's a big time saver, but that's the only advantage. They're not selling new decks.[/QUOTE]

Oh... Oh god... that's bad... That's Tales of Vesperia paying for gold bad.

This may seem like an odd question to ask in the Steam thread, but does anyone know of a good place to trade/sell Steam accounts? eBay is hit and miss on allowing them to go through.

[quote name='JP']This may seem like an odd question to ask in the Steam thread, but does anyone know of a good place to trade/sell Steam accounts? eBay is hit and miss on allowing them to go through.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah, that's a blatant violation of the Steam user agreement, for which Valve will permanently disable any such traded/sold accounts, if they find out about it.

It's illegal, so you sure as hell won't be doing it here, and it shouldn't be happening on eBay, either.

[quote name='JP']I didn't know it was against the TOS. Guess I better read through that.[/QUOTE]

Probably, seeing as how you legally certified that you had read it, when you created your account.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']fuck yeah, there's a new client beta out, that finally adds tabs to friends chat and the overlay browser. That'll eliminate a ton of screen clutter, when you're chatting with more than one friend.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Now they need to increase the friends limit past 250. Get with the social networking program, Valve.

I was having issues with the UI overlay screwing up and affecting my in-game controls response. Hope this one isn't more resource-hoggy than the last.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh yeah, that's a blatant violation of the Steam user agreement, for which Valve will permanently disable any such traded/sold accounts, if they find out about it.

It's illegal, so you sure as hell won't be doing it here, and it shouldn't be happening on eBay, either.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Selling accounts and such is just plain damn wrong.

However, if you were to sell something else, say a nice brand new number 2 pencil for like 30 bucks cause its really rare and decided to give such a generous individual access to your account for buying such a rare pencil at such a wonderfully generous price, then well technicly there is not anything against doing that.

[quote name='Spyder187']However, if you were to sell something else, say a nice brand new number 2 pencil for like 30 bucks cause its really rare and decided to give such a generous individual access to your account for buying such a rare pencil at such a wonderfully generous price, then well technicly there is not anything against doing that.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's every bit as much a violation of the user agreement as a straight-up sale. It's against the TOS to transfer the account, period.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, that's every bit as much a violation of the user agreement as a straight-up sale. It's against the TOS to transfer the account, period.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I was carefully wording it to say "grant them access." I didnt say anything about transferring or selling.

Just a heads up if anyone was interested in FUEL, game has zero racing wheel support. You can still use one but you get no rumble or game supported rumble. Pretty bummed :[

THanks, yeah, I'll just have to do that. Kinda lame that they install it and then don't remind you to delete it after the weekend. I wonder what else I got lingering around that I don't even remember? Guess it's good to clean out the Steam folder from time to time.

Hehe yeah, i checked my folder some time ago and there are still leftovers from when i downloaded demos even if i removed the through the control panel its still there for some reason. But I usually check the control panel first if it ain't there I delete the folder.

Is anyone else having issues with Lead and Gold? The game has alot of promise to it, but I am getting to be sorry I picked it up on the cheap here. Between trouble finding a decent match, to lag or just plain random game dropping, it seems that there are a few issues with this game.

Or is it just me?

I was one of the unfortunate few who bought the game at launch. It's mildly fun, but like you said, there are issues. I've said it in here before, but the biggest problem the game suffers from is the total lack of players.

[quote name='Spyder187']Is anyone else having issues with Lead and Gold? The game has alot of promise to it, but I am getting to be sorry I picked it up on the cheap here. Between trouble finding a decent match, to lag or just plain random game dropping, it seems that there are a few issues with this game.

Or is it just me?[/QUOTE]

no, you're not the only one, I had problems with massive lag--the sniper chick is just unusable. Seems fun, and $5 wasn't too much, but I rather play tf2.

Well, if'n you need people to play Lead and Gold with...

f7eee273cfbb50e249d2e823780580034a77b09a_full.jpg

The CAG Lead and Gold Steam group!

(Note that i don't have the game though.)

Quick question. Is Strong Bad's worth $5? I haven't played PC games for a while, but have been trying to get back into them a bit, to allow family and such more freedom with the TV.

bread's done
Back