The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

Read the last few pages and couldn't find my answer, so I'll ask here. Anyone know if the D2D version of Homefront can be activated on Steam?

[quote name='Das_Regal']Read the last few pages and couldn't find my answer, so I'll ask here. Anyone know if the D2D version of Homefront can be activated on Steam?[/QUOTE]

It's a Steamworks game, so yes.

So that's true of every steamworks game? Awesome.

I bit the bullet and bought Homefront + Metro 2033 for 40 dollars thanks to the 20% off sale and pre-order initiatives. Now I'm just wondering a few things (some which may be unanswerable):

1) Where the activation key for Homefront should be, it says this: "Activation Keys will be distributed on March 15th, 2011 at 10 AM PST. Please return to this keypage to retrieve your key!" I guess this means I can't play til noonish on Tuesday, meaning no late-night gaming tomorrow? It seems like they're making a mistake and they could mean that I'll get my key at 1 AM EST, which makes a lot more sense because that's exactly midnight my time on the release date. I guess this is more a D2D question than anything, I'm hoping they make this kind of mistake regularly and someone will be able to report another instance in which they've said this and the outcome of that.

2) It's letting me download it in advance. If when I get my activation key and put it into Steam, will Steam recognize that I've already installed it and simply link up to that installation, or will it make me redownload it and install it from them if I want to link it to Steam?

For #2, it's just the game that's downloading, nothing user specific. Everyone downloads the same files. The key is basically allowing your account to access the files. So yeah, it'll "link up" the key to the account and allow your account to play the game.

I think I understand that much, but I'm wondering if Steam will recognize the files that I downloaded from D2D's servers, or if it'll make me retrieve files from them instead.

[quote name='Das_Regal']So that's true of every steamworks game? Awesome.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, no. It's possible for a game to use Steamworks features only in the version sold directly on Steam, and not have retail copies activatable (random example: Test Drive Unlimited 2 uses Steam achievements, but retail copies don't activate on Steam).

However, if a retail game says it uses Steamworks (for multiplayer, whatever), then yes, it will definitely be Steam activatable; it will be mandatory, in fact.

Thanks for the information. To answer the 2nd part of my own question, it appears that the installer that you get from D2D is actually a steam-installer. So, it will install just fine.

I'd just like to say, even though I may not agree with everything posted here, I love you guys. After spending the past day or two on the Steam forums, my head is about to explode from the insane amounts of stupidity over there.

[quote name='SEH']I'd just like to say, even though I may not agree with everything posted here, I love you guys. After spending the past day or two on the Steam forums, my head is about to explode from the insane amounts of stupidity over there.[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean. Even if people here disagree on things, we at least type properly, keep things civil, and generally aren't complete idiots. The things I've seen on the Steam forums just terrify me. I didn't realize people like some of those users still existed.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I know what you mean. Even if people here disagree on things, we at least type properly, keep things civil, and generally aren't complete idiots. The things I've seen on the Steam forums just terrify me. I didn't realize people like some of those users still existed.[/QUOTE]

The sheer amount of threads asking if someone can run a game, meanwhile their specs are ridiculous (really, you have an i7 @ 4ghz, 12GBs of RAM, and SLI 580s and you're asking if you can run a game) is astounding.

Also, the concept of timezones appears to be lost on everyone over there.

"Durr Steam says Homefront releases on the 14th...it's the 14th, why does it still say nine hours"?

Even after I clearly explain it they're still totally confused.

[quote name='brandonandtiff']I think I'll be getting Homefront, anyone else? Would be fun to join up since the game has a clan feature.[/QUOTE]

I'm all ready to go for tonight. I should be able to play right at midnight.

I won't be able to play at midnight, but I'm going to leave it downloading so I'll be ready to go in the morning. If anyone wants to play feel free to add me on Steam under the same name I use here.

[quote name='dfg']...Homefront's single-player campaign was written by John Milius? But apparently it's doable in 3-5 hours...[/QUOTE]

Everything I've read says 7-8 hours. Still not incredibly long though.

Coming-soon goodies:
My favorite PS3-exclusive game, Hoard, will be coming to Steam on April 4th. It has everything the PS3 did, including 4-player coop and versus multiplayer, plus a bunch of new features not found on the PS3 (nighttime gameplay, a new snow tileset, new maps, etc). On top of that, it's cheaper than the PS3 version: just $9.99 (compared to $14.99). It will also offer a 25% pre-order discount, and a 4-pack option. Pre-purchase becomes available on March 21st.

This is seriously one of my favorite games in years, so I'm going to buy the hell out of this. I highly recommend this to anyone who like strategic arcade-style gameplay. Absolutely brilliant game.

Just played some Homefront multiplayer for about an hour and a half. It's quite enjoyable, but it has its faults. For one, mouse sensitivity while aiming down your sights is different than hip firing, and if you play with a high sensitivity its impossible to match you ADS sensitivity since it doesn't go up nearly as high. Also, if you're looking for state of the art visuals, you may want to move along. The game is passable, and at times looks pretty good, but I forsee PC graphics whores bitching.

That said, I am enjoying the gameplay, maps are great, and the Battle Commander thing is pretty awesome. I have yet to touch the single player though, so I cant comment on that.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Coming-soon goodies:
My favorite PS3-exclusive game, Hoard, will be coming to Steam on April 4th. It has everything the PS3 did, including 4-player coop and versus multiplayer, plus a bunch of new features not found on the PS3 (nighttime gameplay, a new snow tileset, new maps, etc). On top of that, it's cheaper than the PS3 version: just $9.99 (compared to $14.99). It will also offer a 25% pre-order discount, and a 4-pack option. Pre-purchase becomes available on March 21st.

This is seriously one of my favorite games in years, so I'm going to buy the hell out of this. I highly recommend this to anyone who like strategic arcade-style gameplay. Absolutely brilliant game.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Heard good things about this game, I'll probably snap up a preorder. Possibly a 4 pack preorder if it's a bit cheaper that way.

I love Homefront. The single player game actually has emotion and motivation to it. I actually wanted to kill the opposition for a reason other than them making my screen red.

Multiplayer is very good too.

[quote name='paz9x']it really sucks, there doesnt seem to be any desire to try new things unless its a spinoff of an established franchise.[/QUOTE]

wtf are you talking about? in the past 3-4 yrs or so, there have been more excellent new franchises than ever before. why is the "everything sucks now and was infinitely better in some fictional past i've created in my head" mentality so common?

Well, I'm having fun playing Homefront. Or I would be, if I didn't get "Connection to host lost" in every single match. It loses all of your stats (k/d, challenges, etc.) from the match when it does this, so I'm making NO progress. Anyone else having this problem?

Every multiplayer game I played through Steam last night performed like crap (lag, drops). I assume it had something to do with the number of people downloading and playing the new releases.

I found some developer-run servers and I haven't had any problems with them yet. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be running and Battle Commander game modes which seem more fun, and the game modes are alternating. I would rather just play Ground Control but that's where my server drop problems were.

[quote name='Inspector Jihad']wtf are you talking about? in the past 3-4 yrs or so, there have been more excellent new franchises than ever before. why is the "everything sucks now and was infinitely better in some fictional past i've created in my head" mentality so common?[/QUOTE]

Because the people that spout that crap like to look old and jaded, so that they can pretend they're in this elder generation of gaming or whatever, because they think this will get them the reverie of younger gamers or something. It's a retarded fake, imagined prestige thing.

Nostalgia goggles + growing older and outgrowing the crap you loved as a child + desire to be seen as old and grizzled and as having lived during the "good old days" = the mentality you described. It happens in far more than just games, too. This can apply to almost anything in life.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Because the people that spout that crap like to look old and jaded, so that they can pretend they're in this elder generation of gaming or whatever, because they think this will get them the reverie of younger gamers or something. It's a retarded fake, imagined prestige thing.

Nostalgia goggles + growing older and outgrowing the crap you loved as a child + desire to be seen as old and grizzled and as having lived during the "good old days" = the mentality you described. It happens in far more than just games, too. This can apply to almost anything in life.[/QUOTE]

Not true,everything older is much better whether it's gaming,movies,etc Especially in the music department. People like newer things just because its the latest thing out.

[quote name='Spartan V07']Not true,everything older is much better whether it's gaming,movies,etc Especially in the music department. People like newer things just because its the latest thing out.[/QUOTE]

Oh well shit, I guess you just totally proved me wrong, master chief.

[quote name='Spartan V07']Not true,everything older is much better whether it's gaming,movies,etc Especially in the music department. People like newer things just because its the latest thing out.[/QUOTE]

rofl

fuck any new games dudes, Pong is where its at.

Rule #1: 90% of anything is crap.

Rule #2: People will only remember the other 10%.

Of course people view the world through nostalgo-vision, nobody wants to remember the garbage. I mean, some of those games were so fucking bad we use them to censor naughty words here.

[quote name='SEH']rofl

fuck any new games dudes, Pong is where its at.[/QUOTE]

I'm praying that his post was sarcasm at it's worst. If not, holy shit :drool:

[quote name='Spartan V07']Not me, not my fault music is total garbage today.Still sticking to what i said no matter what.[/QUOTE]

For realz. fuck todays music, give me some Milli Vanilli any day.

[quote name='Spartan V07']Not me, not my fault music is total garbage today.Still sticking to what i said no matter what.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bet you remember the good old days, when the music was real, artful and sophisticated, and really meant something. Before the mainstream pop crap took over. The real old school greats...like Rage Against the Machine and Green Day, right?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah, I bet you remember the good old days, when the music was real, artful and sophisticated, and really meant something. Before the mainstream pop crap took over. The real old school greats...like Rage Against the Machine and Green Day, right?[/QUOTE]

I don't mind some pop and don't listen to greenday/RAM.

Woo! Revenge of the Titans is up on Steam now. Had to re-enter my humble bundle code since it never took it when I tried entering it before since I already owned all the games on Steam. Just gotta wait for Cortex Command to get on Steam, which will probably happen after I'm dead judging by how fast updates come for that game.

Darksiders is on sale, I was considering it for 360 since I had that TigerDirect $10 off coupon, but opted for Dead Space instead anticipating a PC sale. I'm considering biting, can anyone sell me on it?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Darksiders is on sale, I was considering it for 360 since I had that TigerDirect $10 off coupon, but opted for Dead Space instead anticipating a PC sale. I'm considering biting, can anyone sell me on it?[/QUOTE]

I quite liked it. It's a God of War/Zelda mix. I liked the visual design, but the story was really weak. The action gets a bit stale towards the end, but they throw some puzzles at you every now and then to break up the action. I'd say it's worth it at $10. Don't know the quality of the PC port though.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/?freeweekend

KABOOSH. More weekend dealage, as well as a free weekend for Monday Night Combat.[/QUOTE]

Damn! And I'm not going to be anywhere near my desktop until Monday. Oh well...

Just wanna say that Atom Zombie Smasher is pretty awesome. Tried the demo this weekend and picked it up and already put 6 hours into it. Well worth checking out the demo.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Just wanna say that Atom Zombie Smasher is pretty awesome. Tried the demo this weekend and picked it up and already put 6 hours into it. Well worth checking out the demo.[/QUOTE]

i had extreme mouse lag. game was interesting though

[quote name='Inspector Jihad']wtf are you talking about? in the past 3-4 yrs or so, there have been more excellent new franchises than ever before. why is the "everything sucks now and was infinitely better in some fictional past i've created in my head" mentality so common?[/QUOTE]

i was talking about consumers. they see cod678464387 on the shelf next to a new ip and theyre going to buy cod instead of check out something new.

thanks for trying to talk mess though.

[quote name='paz9x']i was talking about consumers. they see cod678464387 on the shelf next to a new ip and theyre going to buy cod instead of check out something new.

thanks for trying to talk mess though.[/QUOTE]

Sweet sweeping generalization bro. Next you're going to tell me all Christians think gays are evil and all black people love watermelon.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Sweet sweeping generalization bro. Next you're going to tell me all Christians think gays are evil and all black people love watermelon.[/QUOTE]

way to go, that was exceptionally clever of you.

it was an obviously broad generalization in reference to a previous post about the games getting overlooked automatically as they dont have the established following of long running franchises.

its difficult for a new ip with a heavy multiplayer component to get on its feet as a result.

I really fail to see how the goal is to talk shit instead of converse about games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really upset and confused by how The Sims Medieval and Jane Jenson's Gray Matter are both on Impulse but are not on Steam.

Why is this? When will they be on Steam? I want them now, and I want them on Steam.

"The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

WTF? It's trough time, according to the home page.

bread's done
Back