The Steve "Dr. Death" Williams Memorial Wrestling Thread

[quote name='pimpster4183']thats crazy, the civic center here holds around 10,000 people lol[/QUOTE]
I hope you like stretching your legs. ;)

The Rock hopes to bring back some of the Attitude Era with him when he returns.
Former WWE champion "The Rock" Dwayne Johnson says he wants to return to WWE for a guest-hosting role or to wrestle a match only if he can "rip up" the writing for the current TV product and tap into the Attitude era with an edgier product.

Johnson shed light on what he's meant the past few months when he has said he wants to create something special beyond just guest-hosting one episode of RAW during an interview with Live Audio Wrestling.

"I want to use the platform as a host to literally rip things open. There's so much stuff we can do," Johnson told John Pollock of LAW. "We're going to create an incredible show, an incredible Raw. I'm doing another movie, but after that, we're going to create something special, unique, something badass for the fans. Talking to Vince (McMahon), whenever that's going to be, we're going to have a great time."

Johnson echoed what he said on ESPN last week that he wouldn't rule out wrestling, but only if he can turn the writing upside down and create a compelling storyline leading to a match.

"I accomplished everything I wanted to accomplish in wrestling, so I wouldn't rule out going back," Johnson said. "If the match was right and we could create something really unique and cool for the fans and for my opponent and for the company, I would do it in a second."

Johnson also said he has no interest in wrestling John Cena, but he talked about what it would take for him to work a program with Cena. The two quotes below capture in-depth Johnson's mentality on working with WWE again.

"I've never been interested in wrestling John Cena. The guys I wrestled in the past - from Goldberg to Hogan to Austin - were guys who I've really wanted to wrestle. If it can be done creatively but not only that, it's very important if I do back is that the writing has to be ripped open and really be pushed," Johnson said. "I came from a time in the Attitude era where we trail-blazed a lot and were fearless in the things we said and did."

Johnson added: "There are a lot of restrictions now on the product, which by the way, I understand, and I enjoy some of the stuff I see and I know some of the writers and they're challenged every week, but if in fact I do go back, it would be an interesting collision of an Attitude time that I loved and the time now, but I'm sure we can always infuse things to make it work."
http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_38410.shtml

I just turned it on two minutes ago - I have no idea what happened other than Seamus/Cena (wow! what a shocker!)

The lack of comments tell me that Bret Hart has not made an appearance, and therefore my decision to stay home this evening was a good one.

This Raw hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. The Dule segments were good watchin'.

EDIT:
punkshavesavesdeeb.gif

kozlovchillax.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince's maroon suit jacket was easily the best part of Raw that didn't involve Maryse being Maryse.

Funny bit from the new Figure 4 Weekly -
An Orton film is in the works and listed as a "coming-of-age drama." I'm not entirely sure Orton has come of age.

TNA news -
Besides Kong, a couple of other wrestlers in TNA requested their release this week. I believe one of them was Alyssa Flash, who for sure is finished with the company. I don't know for sure that she asked for it but I know that she's gone and they'd said there were zero plans to release anyone anytime soon. It might have been a deal where both her and Kong asked for it and they gave it to her and then tried everything in their power to retain Kong. Flash, of course, played the role of Raeesha Saed before they dropped it.

TNA ran in Glasgow this weekend as part of their European Tour. They drew about 1,500 to the Braehead Arena. Earl Hebner was getting loud Montreal-related chants and responded by screaming "fuck YOU!" to people in the crowd. Seriously. That's astounding for about a hundred reasons. I should note that there were far more kids in attendance at this show than there were last year. Every single wrestler on the show was from the pre-Hogan/Bischoff era, and I mean that without exception. So all those new faces on TV aren't working house shows, which did wondrous business for WCW back in the day. Styles pinned Joe in the main event, and we're told it was a disappointing match considering what they've done in the past. The problem was that the fans hadn't seen the last PPV or the TV so they had no idea that AJ had turned heel. They were treating him like a babyface and he was trying to work a heel match. He used a low blow for the finish and then cut a promo about how he was the new dirtiest player in the game. Would have helped if they'd sent Ric Flair along to work his corner. He also said -- yes, AJ Styles -- that for all the ladies he'd be in his hotel room after the match. Don't think he added that he'd be there playing video games but that's my assumption. Joe then told the ladies that AJ wouldn't be in his hotel room, he'd be in the hospital.

I don't get Figure 4 Weekly

Besides Kong, a couple of other wrestlers in TNA requested their release this week. I believe one of them was Alyssa Flash, who for sure is finished with the company. I don't know for sure that she asked for it but I know that she's gone and they'd said there were zero plans to release anyone anytime soon. It might have been a deal where both her and Kong asked for it and they gave it to her and then tried everything in their power to retain Kong. Flash, of course, played the role of Raeesha Saed before they dropped it.

That was confirmed on Alyssa's twitter.

http://twitter.com/AlissaFlashTNA

how about this WTF moment of the year

AOL TV section is saying that WWE is currently working on a sitcom starring Santino Marella. WWE Diva Beth Phoenix is slated to play his girlfriend, and Vladimir Kozlov his best friend. "In two weeks, we're filming the first three episodes," Santino said. "It will air at first on the dot comhttp://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/6096.html#, then after that we will get it to a network television."

USA Network VP Chris McCumber however said the USA Network isn't looking for sitcoms right now, but acknowledge Marella as a good comedic character.

That would be so pants-shittingly bad I'd have to watch at least one episode.

I'm picturing Perfect Strangers with Santino as Balki and Kozlov as the boring guy.

I never thought about this at the time, but the WWE did get rid of Bret Hart at exactly the right time. He went to WCW and wasn't near the star he was in the WWE. This also allowed new wrestlers to step up and become stars. I wonder if there was some truth to McMahon's promo the other night.

[quote name='lombarvm']I never thought about this at the time, but the WWE did get rid of Bret Hart at exactly the right time. He went to WCW and wasn't near the star he was in the WWE. This also allowed new wrestlers to step up and become stars. I wonder if there was some truth to McMahon's promo the other night.[/QUOTE]

I caught that too. I was waiting for him to call Hart a transitional champ as the WWE moved from the Hulkamania era to the Attitude one but it didn't come.

I watched RAW and I have to say Dule Hill sold that slap from Alicia Fox better than most of the folks on the WWE roster would have. Dule was one of the better host cause he did more things to be apart of the show without actually being a match.

Also, I laugh at how Cena keeps using all those video game references. He mentioned Tecmo Bowl this week.

Because TNA is clearly terrified of Cheech & Chong's presence on Raw, on 3/1 TNA will apparently be up against them again. With no live event scheduled at the moment, it could be a taped show.

Amusing bit from the Observer -
The European tour opened on 1/23 in Glasgow, Scotland, before 1,500 fans. Amazing Red pinned Chris Sabin in the opener with a standing shooting star press in 8:00. Good match with cool spots. Eric Young pinned Suicide to keep the Global title. This is the one that Young never defends in the U.S., so at least they got some use for it. He also was never to defend it against an American. I guess Suicide is from parts unknown, and thus it’s possible he’s a foreigner.

Mysterio is amazing. And insane -
Mysterio nearly suffered a major injury on the Cleveland show. Mysterio & Kane vs. Punk & Gallows was the semifinal. At the 2:00 mark of the match, with Punk down, Mysterio got on Kane’s shoulders, they clasped hands but Kane started moving before Mysterio was balanced and he bell backwards toward the turnbuckle and ended up with all of his weight landing on the left leg. He crumpled in the corner. They immediately stopped the match. Jack Doan was referee and he talked with Mysterio, who confirmed he was hurt and rolled out of the ring. He stayed on the floor for a while. They restarted the match with Kane working alone for about 2:00. Mysterio did come back, but only did two quick spots while limping, and he limped to the back. He did work two nights later at TV. I remember in the early 90s seeing him in a match in Tijuana where he landed badly, I think from a dive, and was in incredible pain, saying it was (up to that point in time obviously) the worst injury he ever had in his career. Two nights later in Los Angeles he did a ****3/4 match.

Santino-Kozlov!
WWE has plans for a sitcom with Marella as the lead character. Marella told the U.K. version of AOL about the plans for a show, with Kozlov (as his best friend) and Phoenix (as his girlfriend). He said they were filming three episodes which will first air on the web site before they shop it around. Marella talked about a network deal, but I sense this at best as one of those web site feature attempts and not getting any farther. Chris McCumber, the EVP of the USA Network, when asked about it, said, “I’m not aware of it. I need to see it. He’s quite a comedic character, so no doubt he will have a good sitcom.” Evidently he didn’t see ECW last week as Marella and Kozlov, in a segment designed to get them over as buddies as the prelude to the web site show, bombed like it was Hiroshima in 1945.

More lazy than tasteless. At least reference a disaster from the last decade.

Speaking of the tasteless and lazy rasslin' journalist, he's now saying Impact will be on Monday for good starting in March, likely with one week taped and one week live, like how they used to do Raw.

Why is Brock Lesnar telling me about health care? Stop it.

[quote name='cdubb1605']id ask if theyre gonna mention the title change on impact.... but theyve taped like what, 4 weeks of shows?[/QUOTE]

They could edit it in with some off-camera Tenay commentary but I highly doubt it.

fucking UGH.

As far as Savage is concerned, despite their past differences, Hogan would love to have him on board with TNA. He feels if Savage dyed his gray beard and got back into shape, he would be good enough to return to the ring.

"I'd LOVE to see the Macho Man," Hogan said. "Dye that old gray Santa Claus beard he's got. Get back in shape. And teach these young guys how to do it because I could sure use his help. He's got a great mind for the business."

WWE superstars Chris Jericho and Gregory Helms were arrested on Wednesday morning at 5am in Kenton County, Kentucky.
The two were charged with public alcohol intoxication and spent over an hour at the Erlanger Police Department.
Jericho and Helms had been in nearby Cincinnati, Ohio the previous night for this week's SmackDown taping.

Drunken incidents always seem to happen around the Hurricane.

As far as the title change in UK goes, they could have that title bounce back and forth during a European tour that never gets aired on television. When something isn't on television in the world of wrestling, it never happened!

TNA Global Title? That's real? This title isn't THE main title of TNA? So there's a World Champion and a Global Champion..what's the damn difference?? More confusing bullcrap that TNA dishes out, please stop TNA, I want you to do well!

I think Eric Young's usage of "Global" is more along the lines of International - not the Planet Earth.

I was actually a big Savage fan back in the 90s, in WCW. I wouldn't mind him coming back, as long as he can still do it.

On another note, I noticed my Sam's Club recently got in a few WWE DVD sets. They had WCW, Raw 15th Anniversary, and Smackdown 10th Anniversary, for $20 each. I've been wanting to get WCW for a while now so I'll probably get that. Anybody know how good the Anniversary sets are?

[quote name='mykevermin']Hey, I've been arrested by the Erlanger PD, too!

(I grew up in Kenton County)[/QUOTE]

they gave me my first speeding ticket

[quote name='mykevermin']I owe you a phone call, by the by. next week?[/QUOTE]

for sure man, i'll message you next week and give you a heads up for when were doing the show

[quote name='mykevermin']Hey, I've been arrested by the Erlanger PD, too!

(I grew up in Kenton County)[/QUOTE]

Same charges? My money says yes.

The official website of former WWE Intercontinental Champion The Honky Tonk Man notes that he is "close to signing with TNA."

Honky's website has a TNA logo and promo video on it as well as a message from the webmaster saying that Honky and TNA have been in talks since December of last year.

It just keeps getting worse and worse.

http://www.honkytonkman.net/

[quote name='Scorch']It just keeps getting worse and worse.[/QUOTE]

I heard he was contacted to be in the WWE hall of fame this year but turned it down due to "previous engagements". Guess he'll probably never get in now that he's in TNA.

[quote name='Scorch']It just keeps getting worse and worse.

http://www.honkytonkman.net/[/QUOTE]

TNA's hiring of elder talent wouldn't be so bad if the elder talent put over younger talent, and then left the company. For instance, if Hall and Nash put over Beer Money, Inc.; or Honky Tonk put over...uh...Eric Young (?), and then left the company, I would be OK with TNA using money to help establish their younger talent.

However, I think that's opposite of what will happen.

If I remember right doesn't Rob Terry have the X Division title shot from Feast or Fired? So, what purpose would it serve for him to be Global champ when the X belt means more in TNA. Now, this would have made more sense to happen when the British Invasion had the Tag Team belts but TNA is wacky now a days.

I think one of the other British Invasion guys took his case from him, maybe Doug Williams. Also what were Jericho and Helms doing partying in some small ass town in Kentucky at 5 in the morning?

Geographic note: only a river separates Cincinnati (where they taped SD this week) from KY. I lived for years in Newport, KY and was able to ride my bike to Reds ballgames, go downtown for stuff, and ride to campus as well. I was under half a mile from Cincy.

From friends who worked in parts of KY, the wrestlers tended (this was 10 or more years ago) to stay at hotels in Florence, KY (Florence, Y'all!); it's about a 10-15 minute drive from the US Bank arena to Florence, there's a bunch of bullshit "Applebee's" kindsa places to eat late and drink beer - and since the Cincinnati airport is in KY actually, staying in Florence puts them at about a 10 minute drive to the airport in the morning.

So this ain't Hazard county. I also think they stayed out there to avoid throngs of fans scouring downtown Cincy hotels (which are even more costly than in Florence) looking to spit on Randy Orton.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/012310.html

Lance Storm annihilates Impact.

When I said I was going to start watching Impact again in the New Year, you must have figured that my TNA rants couldn’t be far behind and sure enough it only took a couple weeks. This rant will not be as venomous as past rants because while there were a lot of things on this week’s edition of Impact that I thought were terrible, they weren’t outright blatantly wrong or as rage educing as the crap that drove me to give up on Impact all together. There was some good along with the bad this week on Impact, so I will try to look at the show as a whole and not get completely out of control with an Anti-TNA rant, but on the whole I really disliked this show.

The first thing I noticed about the show was the return to a regular wrestling ring, which I have to say, is a big positive. I never liked the 6 sided ring and thought it just screamed “Silly Gimmick”, so I welcomed the return to a conventional ring. I found the matches much easier to watch and after the initial “oh hey it’s a real ring” I quickly didn’t notice the ring any more and could focus on the product. I found with the 6 sided ring I always noticed the thing and found guys often running at a corner or rope his opponent wasn’t intending to send him toward. The square ring shoots better, and just works better on every level. As for the ramp to the ring, I’m not as big a fan of that. I’m curious if the new ramp was put in place because Hogan and some of the other older guys with hip and knee replacements found it difficult walking down hill on the old ramp.

I’m not going to say this is wrong or even a definite bad idea, only time will tell for sure, but I hated AJ Styles as the new Nature Boy. There are a ton of things that needed fixing in TNA but AJ Styles isn’t one of them. One of the reasons the Nature Boy gimmick worked so well for Ric Flair was that he lived it; he really did live this life style. AJ Styles is about as far from this gimmick in real life as humanly possible. The only person that might be less suited for this gimmick is me. I also think AJ as a heel is a terrible idea because most of the appeal of AJ Styles is all the phenomenal stuff he does. AJ does cool shit and has great matches, so why would I want to boo him? The answer is I don’t, I like and respect AJ for how hard he works and I enjoy matching his matches. AJ Styles acting like a Ric Flair wanna be is just going to make him look like a second rate worker marking out for a guy he sees as a bigger star than himself. Also, on a production note, book SHORTER girls! Why did no one notice that these girls were TALLER than the World Heavyweight Champion, and point out that this is a bad visual on TV? AJ got in the ring and stood between Flair’s two girls and they were both taller than him. Book shorter girls or make them take off their heels when they get in the ring!

To me this angle is a sabotaging push. You claim to be pushing a guy while you force him out of his own element as a character, put him in a situation (being a heel) that limits his strengths in the ring, you then over shadow him with someone who is supposed to give him the rub and do underhanded things that make him look bad (like having him look small standing beside girls) and then when he isn’t as over as he is supposed to be at the end of it all, you point out that you tried real hard, “but the kid just couldn’t get over” and put all the blame on him and then go on to push who you originally wanted to in the first place. I hope I’m wrong, but the alternative to this being a clever way of making AJ fail, is that they are actually trying to succeed and are making this many mistakes unknowingly. I’m not sure which is worse.

One other completely unrelated speculation; will TNA have to ban Ric Flair from mentioning Space Mountain, since it is an attraction at a rival theme park.

My next complaint is not a TNA exclusive by any means and it drives me just as crazy when WWE does it, but not honouring stipulations and offering immediate PPV rematches on television is a horrible business plan in my opinion. With TNA’s track record of stipulations galore, and going back on them left and right, the new regime needs to make it clear to fans that they can be trusted to deliver. What a better way to show that you are Wrestling and not bullshit Sports Entertainment, like you are claiming to be, than to actually stick to and honour the finish and stipulation of your wrestling matches; especially on the heels of WWE going something like 5 weeks in a row screwing fans over on the “Jericho off RAW for good” stipulation.

TNA bait and switched 2 matches on the PPV (not delivering Bobby Lashley or Scott Hall), then they went back on the stipulation from the main event, and also did rematches of the World and Tag Team Title matches on Impact. What message is this sending to fans? It’s telling them that we don’t deliver what we promise you, so if you spend your money to support us we will screw you, and if you don’t spend your money to support us, we will give you the key matches for free the week after on TV anyway. They are punishing their paying fans and rewarded their nonpaying ones. This is not a good business model!

I do want to give a HUGE thumbs up to Mick Foley for delivering very safe chair shots to the heads of the British Invasion. With everything we know about concussions those were the kind of chair shots the industry needs to be delivering. Guys getting killed with unprotected chair shots to the head makes me turn off a program.

Why does TNA continue to over kill angles? Russo has always been famous for having multiple people on the same show doing the same angle, but Bischoff and Hogan are smarter than this. I know this is likely leading to faction War Fare, but to me it just ends up as redundant over kill. Hogan comes out and talks about how this is going to be a wrestling company but there was so little wrestling on the show. We got 3 or 4 Jeff Jarrett / Bubba the Love Sponge radio segments (yes radio segments on TV) where Bubba and Jeff argued as equals over who should be running TNA. Who the F—K is Bubba the Love Sponge, and why is Jeff even talking to this guy? In TNA “storyline” Bubba is a rookie backstage interviewer; would HHH ever argue about the direction of WWE with Josh Matthews? So we have a power struggle argument between Bubba and Jeff. We also get a power struggle argument with Mick Foley and Eric Bischoff; add to that The Band’s dispute with Hogan over employment, Bobby Lashley has also been is a dispute over wanting to quit.

We got 5 matches on the show totaling only 17:30 (approx) minutes of action. Not a good sign for what they are pushing as a WRESTLING show. That doesn’t even take into account that one of those matches featured the Nasty Boys getting a win. No Beer Money, no MCMG, no Desmond Wolf, and no Chris Daniels wrestling on the show, instead we get the Nasty Boys, in 2010. So instead of the great wrestling matches the aforementioned names would produce we got maybe 8 or 10 segments about who does and doesn’t work for the company or who does or doesn’t run the show.

I have no idea what is going on. To my understanding Jeff Jarrett founded TNA and is a share holder. Mick Foley bought into the company and is a very significant share holder. Dixie Carter also some how runs and owns TNA, so I guess she is the majority owner (This despite the fact that not that long ago the story was that JJ and Foley were sole owners). Dixie then “restructured” the company and “partnered” with Hogan and Bischoff enabling them to run the company and somehow did all of this without the permission of either of the other two major share holders. In addition to that, this “restructuring” of the company has somehow eliminated Foley and JJ’s investment and ownership of the company and they are now just guys on the roster. I don’t even want try to understand the logic behind Dixie Carter (Hogan’s “partner”) hiring Hogan’s arch nemesis Ric Flair after he picked her up one night and slept with her.

If that isn’t confusing enough, on this episode of Impact, Scott Hall and Sean Waltman were fired (for lack of a better word) despite supposedly never being employed by TNA, even though they were advertised, booked on, or wrestled on the last PPV. Mick Foley was also fired, Kurt Angle quit, and Bobby Lashley who was trying to quit but couldn’t, because he had a contract, asked to stay and they told him they would think about it and get back to him. WTF? That’s 5 people on 1 show doing a “questionable employment” angle.

And then for the Finale we got the Montreal finish. Are you F’N kidding me? The most over done, bullshit finish in wrestling and we not only got it again, we got an exact carbon copy of it; all we needed was for Kurt to draw WWE in the air at the finish. This finish is so old and so stale it doesn’t draw heat it draws groans of disappointment. My first reaction to this (after my groan of disappointment) was: “Hey that reminds me, WWE is finally doing the conclusion to this 12 year old angle on RAW, I’ll have to be sure to watch that show on Monday!” On top of all that there were a ton of plot holes in this angle.

1) If Hebner was going to “Montreal” Kurt and screw him, why didn’t he do it when AJ had him in the Figure 4 Leg Lock earlier in the match?

2) Why did Kurt assume Hogan had anything to do with this? Hogan was the guy who gave him the second chance in the first place. If Hogan wasn’t on Kurt’s side he could have just stuck to the stipulation from the PPV and not given Kurt the opportunity of this match that he would then have to screw him out of later. This was so stupid.

3) How can anyone believe that Kurt is going to quit over this, like he threatened to do at the end of this show. Bobby Lashley has been trying to quit for weeks now but can’t because he is under contract. TNA has already established, on this very show, that guys can’t quit! Doesn’t anyone in TNA watch TNA? Maybe if they did the ratings would be better.

4) The Montreal finish makes no sense when the reigning champ is the one going over! Why bother conspiring with a ref, and fighting this whole match when you are the reigning champion? AJ could just get DQ’d, counted out; you name it, and still retain his title. The whole point of Montreal was that Shawn had to get a pin fall or submission on the existing champ in order to WIN the title. Doesn’t anyone pay attention to details anymore?

I’m going to give TNA a few more weeks, and keep my fingers crossed, because I really hope this works, but my initial optimism is really waning.

Lance Storm

P.S. I’d like to take credit for the Space Mountain observation as well as the possible reason behind the new ramp to ring side, but truth be told one of my current students pointed both out to me.

I love JR

J.R., Is Micheal Cole the worst announcer in the history of WWE? Ok...you're not going to say yes, but what does he bring to the show? He repeats himself like 10 times in one show and show no passion for the product. As Gorilla would say he's a fountain of misinformation.

J.R.'s Answer:
Michael is a loyal, hard working guy who does the best that he can and he has the best broadcast job in the biz.

http://$$$$$$/16rBwY

Candidates to replace Space Mountain - Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast, Donkey's Photo Finish, Twister: Ride it Out or Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster

bread's done
Back