The Target Clearance Thread Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDirty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Copied from OP of former Target Clearance threads* (Links Coming)

Winter 2k6 thread
Summer 2K5
Spring 2005 thread
Original Target Clearance Thread

Since the Target deals are usually of the "your mileage may vary" type, let's keep all the target clearance deals in this thread.

Here is a fairly easy way to check if your local Target has the games on clearance without making the store clerk unlock the display case and price-scan a bunch of games. Very often, games may be on sale, but will not be marked as such.

BigDirty came up with this nice time saver. Respect his cheap ass skills.

1) Check this thread for games that have been reported on clearance.

2) Go to www.half.com, http://bits.com/ or similar website and search for the game to locate its UPC code number. Its in the grey box underneath the box art graphic.

3) Go to http://upcdata.info/ , www.milk.com/barcode/ , or www.upcdatabase.com and enter the code so you can print out the UPC.

4) Go to Target and use the price scanners to scan your printouts and search for cheap ass deals!

FYI: "When a game's price ends with 8 cents, further reduction is possible, when it ends in 4 cents, that's the ball game, pick it up cause it's not going any lower. If it ends in 9 cents, it's just on sale or on a non-clearance reduction." - BigDirty

Games that do not sell after being discounted are often donated to local Goodwills for sale at their retail stores, so check there when the clearance items dissappear.

This thread is for Clearance deals, not sale items or raincheck "scams"
Please Post City, State and Store (If City has many stores), game, system and price

Keep extraneous discussion to a minimum, as posts not pretating to clearance deals may be deleted by the mod crew.

As always-- YMMV

Example:

Philadelphia, PA Snyder Plaza
BigDirty's Wild Ride, XBox, $4.98

*Thanks to CheapyD and BigDirty for the info*

Keep it on topic or your post may be deleted to prune down the thread size.

[quote name='rarebucky']Picked up Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy for $13 yesterday and then traded it in to Game Crazy for $28 credit. I believe most of the Wii games get $28 at GC.[/QUOTE]

first of all, i'm not blaming you or anyone else... a good deal is a good deal, and there's nothing to stop people from taking advantage of this little multi store loophole that exists...

but... is anyone else bothered by this trend? people are buying these cheap games to trade in for credit, and keeping people that actually WANT the games from grabbing them. this is a prime example. i had already mentioned in this very thread that i was looking for a $13 wii billy & mandy. it has nothing to do with trading. i WANT the game, and $13 is a great deal. and i just know that i'm missing out on these at my local stores because of people who hoard them for trades. dare i say it's as bad as ebayers who buy cheap to make the profit.

sour grapes? sure. i won't deny it. most of us here can agree that the target clearance (some stores selling cheap, others selling at full price) is downright annoying. but seeing this kinda stuff take place only makes it more frustrating.

[quote name='distinct101']^scan the prices. Could be clearanced and haven;t have time to take it out yet. I recommend printing out bar codes if your too lazy to ask an employee.[/quote]
Where can I get the bar codes so I can print them out? I just got back from Target and it turns out Kameo (last copy they had, it's been sitting there for ages) was $7.48:D
(They had about 5 copies of Dead Rising but those rang up at $59.99:cry:). I'll keep a close eye on those.... so far I've gotten GRAW for $20 from BB, COD 2: GOTY Edition for $13 from CC and Condemned used for $14 from Game Crazy, and now Kameo. Thanks!

[quote name='DocRamon']first of all, i'm not blaming you or anyone else... a good deal is a good deal, and there's nothing to stop people from taking advantage of this little multi store loophole that exists...

but... is anyone else bothered by this trend? people are buying these cheap games to trade in for credit, and keeping people that actually WANT the games from grabbing them. this is a prime example. i had already mentioned in this very thread that i was looking for a $13 wii billy & mandy. it has nothing to do with trading. i WANT the game, and $13 is a great deal. and i just know that i'm missing out on these at my local stores because of people who hoard them for trades. dare i say it's as bad as ebayers who buy cheap to make the profit.

sour grapes? sure. i won't deny it. most of us here can agree that the target clearance (some stores selling cheap, others selling at full price) is downright annoying. but seeing this kinda stuff take place only makes it more frustrating.[/quote]

Good luck on your search.
ALL the Targets I have visited (8?) have not clearanced wii except for a single $25 Monster 4x4 in an unsealed box. My nearby stores all have them at regular price.
I'll keep an eye out for Bill & Mandy!
My trade ins are BB and internet J&R purchases. You might consider these ideas in order to get Bill/Mandy in trade...just an idea as the JR deal will net you at about $25 ...

[quote name='JJSP']Just a reminder and echoing the typical sentiment throughout this thread - please let us know which store you're finding deals in. There seem to be a lot of people striking out at their local stores, and I'm sure there's at least a few of us that don't mind driving to one in the area if there's deals to be had.[/quote]

Umm, no. With the increasingly YMMV nature of Target Clearances, why would someone who has a 'good' clearance Target tell everyone where they are located?

[quote name='manthing']Umm, no. With the increasingly YMMV nature of Target Clearances, why would someone who has a 'good' clearance Target tell everyone where they are located?[/quote]Possibly as a show of good will towards other CAGs. But obviously that idea is far too foreign to you.

Places could have multiple copies of a clearanced video games and it'd be nice for other CAGs in the area to get in on it. Stop being so damn selfish.

[quote name='manthing']Umm, no. With the increasingly YMMV nature of Target Clearances, why would someone who has a 'good' clearance Target tell everyone where they are located?[/quote]
If everybody kept good deals to themselves, then we wouldn't have a website here. This site was built on the notion of communal deal sharing.

[quote name='DocRamon']first of all, i'm not blaming you or anyone else... a good deal is a good deal, and there's nothing to stop people from taking advantage of this little multi store loophole that exists...

sour grapes? sure. i won't deny it. most of us here can agree that the target clearance (some stores selling cheap, others selling at full price) is downright annoying. but seeing this kinda stuff take place only makes it more frustrating.[/quote]

I think this belongs in the shopping morality thread but in answer to your question. No I am not annoyed about it. It is going to end up purchased by someone anyway. No control over who or what they chose to do with the game. Yeah, it is great to find a cheap copy that I wish to play. However, it is also great to pick up to cheap wii games and trade them in for a new release wii game this tuesday; paper mario.
to say it is as bad as ebayers; not unless you also count everyone on the trading board that hits up the clearance deals *recent bb* to trade for games with one another. I am sure I missed out on games I wanted at the BB recent clearance, but hey it happens. Can't really be sour about something if you are not even sure if it was ever really there at that price.

If a CAG has equal or more feedback then me then i am more than willing to sell a at cost clearnace find to them. As I had a nice CAGer do the same for me with kameo (target price) recently.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Places could have multiple copies of a clearanced video games and it'd be nice for other CAGs in the area to get in on it.[/quote]
Target is getting more YMMV on clearances. It depends on the store's configuration and yadda yadda.

Add into the fact its more YMMV than ever, most clearance dissapears at 30-50%. The odds are it *NOT* a fellow CAG f'ing you, but someone else.

Nevermind that of the 4 games I bought at 75% off, I sold to 2 of them a fellow CAG at *A LOSS*, you're right. I'm a selfish jag...:roll:

Do me a favor, ask blandstalker how 'selfish' I am...:booty:

[quote name='ravenbear']to say it is as bad as ebayers; not unless you also count everyone on the trading board that hits up the clearance deals *recent bb* to trade for games with one another.[/QUOTE]

see... now i don't see this as being bad. sure, the games are being purchased with a "selfish" intent (not to play, to gain), but at least they are (presumably) going to people here who want to play them. it's helping out the community.

this practice of buying 2 cheap target games and swapping them for 1 pricey wii game... other shoppers don't benefit, specifically other CAGs don't benefit, and it ends up helping only the "selfish" buyer and GS/EB who are looking for used wii games to overprice.

like i said, i understand that it's just me bitching. and i know that it is a great deal to buy 2 games at $13 and earn yourself a new $50 game. why would a person turn that down? and CAG is the place to talk about these workarounds that can net us all cheaper games. but somehow, as other posts have been mentioning, the "community" feel is being removed, as the games are simply becoming harder for other CAGs to find so that one CAG can reap the rewards.

based on some of the other comments that have popped up here, i'm clearly not the only person that struggles with that fine line of helping the community and helping myself.

I have yet to see any wii games clearanced at any of the targets that I haunt. I hit something like 3 locations in and around the dfw area. If I do see that bill and mandy game I'll pick it up and pm you. I've also noticed that today at the Bryant Irving street location in fort worth had the usual swag clearanced but it was a few dollars more. For example the wii sling bags that are 15 bucks some places are 17 there.

the billy & mandy game was just an example. i've already found a few games on clearance, and picked up the ones i wanted to play while leaving everything else. but that's not really the point of what i'm saying...

it just adds insult to injury when i see people toss away games that i actually want to play.

we should probably just drop it and focus on what this thread is intended for... i don't want this to turn into a debate like Chitown is said. but i do think some people could stand to be a little less proud of flipping, i guess.

I was at Target yesterday and on an end cap in the computer software area (not the electronics department) they had The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy for $12.48. The game only got ok reviews but at that price for a new Wii game I bit. Seems like a great deal for a new Wii game that should provide at least a few hours of fun.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Just trying to help. Besides that thread is 26 pages long.[/quote]

Thanks for posting this, that clearence thread is way too long to find stuff like this.

Thanks for the tip, Might have to try target. I never seem to have any luck though :(

Well, just to contribute somewhat instead of just leaving a "belongs in the Target clearance thread", most stores now have an EA Strategy Pack which includes B&W2, B&W2 Battle of the Gods, as well as Battle for Middle Earth and C&C Generals and it's expansion for $20. Use the $5 off PC coupon at Best Buy and you can get 3 games and 2 expansions (including Battle of the Gods) for 15 bucks.

[quote name='Scorch']nah, he knows.

Is Black and White 2 any better than the first? The first was pretty freakin' sweet..[/QUOTE]
Meh, it's OK...it has some nice additions (armies and walls, plus it looks 10 times better), but the gameplay just felt...I dunno...off. It didn't feel as "open" as the first game did, kinda more linear and some parts of it seemed a little forced. It was OK, but I just lost interest with it really quick, and it sucks horribly that there's no multiplayer whatsoever.

[quote name='H-Town Info']waiting for Scorch to say it[/QUOTE]

I didn't pay attention to that Target thread so I didn't know that it consolidated all the clearance deals. But that thread isn't that practical since it's 26 pages long and the deals are posted throughout all the pages.

Maybe I should just keep any deals I find to myself in the future.

[quote name='Scorch']nah, he knows.

Is Black and White 2 any better than the first? The first was pretty freakin' sweet..[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Didn't get a chance to play the first. I wanted to get the deluxe version of the original but haven't found it anywhere other than places like eBay. I was planning on getting the second game and the expansion. Now I just need the game itself. :) It seems like my kind of game though. I've noticed EA stops production on games that are still selling well. I don't understand why they do that but it causes most of their older gamer to be harder and sometimes impossible to find. I think the B&W2 expansion just came out last year yet Amazon has been out of stock of it for a while and I bet they don't get anymore in.

[quote name='Edge']Well, just to contribute somewhat instead of just leaving a "belongs in the Target clearance thread", most stores now have an EA Strategy Pack which includes B&W2, B&W2 Battle of the Gods, as well as Battle for Middle Earth and C&C Generals and it's expansion for $20. Use the $5 off PC coupon at Best Buy and you can get 3 games and 2 expansions (including Battle of the Gods) for 15 bucks.[/QUOTE]

How are the games packaged? Do they still come in their own packaging inside the box or is it just the game discs all together with their own instruction booklets or not even that?

[quote name='MagusZ']Thanks for posting this, that clearence thread is way too long to find stuff like this.

Thanks for the tip, Might have to try target. I never seem to have any luck though :([/QUOTE]

I don't normally have any luck either. :( Maybe I was lucky this time because I wasn't actually looking for any deals specifically. Target last fall had Cinderella Man for HD-DVD for about $5 and it seemed like I was the only CAG who couldn't find a store with a copy. :( I really wanted it too. My mom even looked at Targets in other areas while on business trips with no luck. Adding insult to injury my Target did finally get some copies in one of the few weeks I didn't go. *sigh*

Come on! Posting 2 threads for stuff that should be in the Target Clearance Thread!

There is a reason for the Target Clearance Thread. Target is too YMMV to posting individual threads for clearance items!

When Target actually has a SALE NOT CLEARANCE, then it deserves its own thread.

But that thread isn't that practical since it's 26 pages long and the deals are posted throughout all the pages.

This thread isn't pratical when people actually make the drive to their target and find out it is not $12.48

[quote name='4tygames']Come on! Posting 2 threads for stuff that should be in the Target Clearance Thread!

There is a reason for the Target Clearance Thread. Target is too YMMV to posting individual threads for clearance items!

When Target actually has a SALE NOT CLEARANCE, then it deserves its own thread.[/QUOTE]

Well technically I don't know if it was clearance. I know end caps are generally for clearance at Target but the games weren't marked that. They actually had a sign pointing to the games saying 30% off marked prices. The games were actually more than 30% off their original prices so I thought that was weird.

I also don't understand what's so great about the Target clearance thread. If all the deals were kept in one updated post then yes that would be great but having to sort through 26 plus pages is very impractical. With separate topics for individual items you can at least find them more easily with a topic only search. If you do a search through the message body too you'll usually get pages of topics that contain posts that just mention the item and not necessarily even about a deal for that item.

[quote name='4tygames']This thread isn't pratical when people actually make the drive to their target and find out it is not $12.48[/QUOTE]

First of all I put YMMV. Secondly it's dumb to drive anywhere for a single item unless it's an absurdly great deal or nearly impossible to find. Doing that is a waste of time, energy, gas, and wear and tear on your car which could end up costing more than you're saving anyway. I just wanted to give a heads up to people that were already planning to go to or would be near a Target that may have this deal.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Just trying to help. Besides that thread is 26 pages long.[/QUOTE]

That is why every thread has a "Search" feature. You're just lazy. Mods close this.

[quote name='Collectordragon']First of all I put YMMV. Secondly it's dumb to drive anywhere for a single item unless it's an absurdly great deal or nearly impossible to find. [/quote] But, that's why there's an official Target clearance thread - so that you see every possible deal that could be available at your store before heading out. If every Target clearance item was in a separate thread, a lot of deals could be missed as some threads aren't bumped as often or at the same time.

[quote name='parKer20']But, that's why there's an official Target clearance thread - so that you see every possible deal that could be available at your store before heading out. If every Target clearance item was in a separate thread, a lot of deals could be missed as some threads aren't bumped as often or at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Good points. Just a few more reasons to shut this down.

[quote name='neudog']That is why every thread has a "Search" feature. You're just lazy. Mods close this.[/QUOTE]

But why should anyone have to go through multiple deal or clearance threads and do multiple searches for a specific game in the hopes that one of the threads *might* have the game in question when it's far easier to do a single topic only search that goes through every topic on the board and provides immediate results?

[quote name='parKer20']But, that's why there's an official Target clearance thread - so that you see every possible deal that could be available at your store before heading out. If every Target clearance item was in a separate thread, a lot of deals could be missed as some threads aren't bumped as often or at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Target isn't the only store in existence. If I'm looking for a good deal on a specific game that might be carried by a dozen different stores I shouldn't have to go through a dozen different store specific threads hoping one of those threads delivers and hope I've found the best deal.

Single topic search>Multiple thread specific searches

[quote name='Collectordragon']But why should anyone have to go through multiple deal or clearance threads and do multiple searches for a specific game in the hopes that one of the threads *might* have the game in question when it's far easier to do a single topic only search that goes through every topic on the board and provides immediate results?[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking retarded! You totally contradicted yourself. By starting a whole new thread you've just added to the "multiple threads". Sure it might take a fraction of time to do a search, but there is a reason threads are started. Just as there is a search feature in each individual thread there are also ones for individual forums. Regardless of how you feel in regards to this thread making it easier on us this thread will eventually have a nice big red "CLOSED" label on it.

:drool: Um...Um... I'm LAZZYYYYY :drool:

[quote name='Collectordragon']Target isn't the only store in existence. If I'm looking for a good deal on a specific game that might be carried by a dozen different stores I shouldn't have to go through a dozen different store specific threads hoping one of those threads delivers and hope I've found the best deal.

Single topic search>Multiple thread specific searches[/quote] Wow, neudog is right. You did contradict yourself. This thread is specific to Target. If someone is doing a search for "Billy & Mandy," they'll be getting multiple thread hits now. The official Target thread AND yours. You've just doubled someone else's reading time.

Edit: Now, if you had made a thread with the title, "Billy & Mandy deals," then it would be a different story. But, I'm not going to argue over something like this. It's up to the Mods and your future discretion as to what deserves a thread of its own. Just understand the reasoning as to why people work so hard to set up "official" threads rather than making a bunch of individual ones.

Thank you for posting this. I never thought of looking in the computer software area. Thank you. I dont have to read through a bunch of crap in the other threads.

God forbid someone make a post of a deal. OMG two threads!!! Everyone hide...the pain will end soon.

Thanks again dude. Most useful thread I have seen in a while.

Just understand the reasoning as to why people work so hard to set up "official" threads rather than making a bunch of individual ones.

An "official" thread is also an "individual" one. lol...yeah it is really a lot of trouble to make a thread...especially putting the word official in it.

[quote name='Gorge']Thanks for posting this man, I'm gonna go and check it out tommorrow.[/QUOTE]

See, OP, now you're getting people all excited :lol:. And NateWhs152, being in Portland - good luck buddy. I only know of ONE Target in all of OR (the one way out on Glisan) that has the older-style game section and had ANY Wii games on clearance (and they had only 2 and this wasn't one of them). (Don't bother with any of the other Portland ones except Jantzen Beach, possibly). That is the kind of discussion going on in the Target clearance thread that provides more info about this particular clearance. Usually Targets have pretty much the same stuff on clearance (just at different prices). However, this round of Wii and 360 games are only on clearance at a VERY FEW select Targets. And at this point they are going to be mostly gone anyway as everyone was looking for them 1-2 weeks ago.

Yup, the package contains nothing but discs in sleaves. And there are a lot of discs...13 if I remember correctly. Still, well worth the $15 I think.

[quote name='parKer20']Wow, neudog is right. You did contradict yourself. This thread is specific to Target. If someone is doing a search for "Billy & Mandy," they'll be getting multiple thread hits now. The official Target thread AND yours. You've just doubled someone else's reading time.

Edit: Now, if you had made a thread with the title, "Billy & Mandy deals," then it would be a different story. But, I'm not going to argue over something like this. It's up to the Mods and your future discretion as to what deserves a thread of its own. Just understand the reasoning as to why people work so hard to set up "official" threads rather than making a bunch of individual ones.[/QUOTE]

I didn't contradict myself at all. If you read my post carefully you would know I was talking about searches for topic titles only and not message body searches. If you do a topic title only search right now across all forums for Billy & Mandy you get only two search results and the Target thread doesn't show up at all since it doesn't have Billy & Mandy in the title. The other thread is an Amazon deal that's much more expensive than the deal I posted so you immediately know the prices for two different stores. Now if you do the search entire posts option you get 44 results so you'll have to read through many different topics that mention Billy & Mandy and many of which may not even be deals for it. The other option is to go directly to clearance threads like Target, Circuit City, etc and do a search this thread only search which means you have to do that for each and every clearance thread and you could still miss out on people posting deals for stores that don't have their own threads. What's easier doing a search that takes 1 second and only gives you a couple of results with the price and location immediately known for the game you want or searches that require multiple steps and require scouring many different threads?

The official threads aren't very good unless they list all of the deals in a single post that's continually updated. Other wise they're basically you going through multiple posts instead of multiple individual threads which is nearly the same thing in practice other than searching for topic titles only is far easier and faster than message body searches.

If you're looking for the best deal on a specific game which results would you rather go through a couple of definitive results or over 40 maybe results?

[quote name='Collectordragon']I didn't pay attention to that Target thread so I didn't know that it consolidated all the clearance deals. But that thread isn't that practical since it's 26 pages long and the deals are posted throughout all the pages.

Maybe I should just keep any deals I find to myself in the future.[/quote]

Yeah, but you only need to check the last 5 pages or so, most of the other stuff would be long gone because the stuff always eventually clearances out of the system and on to goodwill.

I mean realistically, this board could be filled with the Target YMMV posts. There are literally dozens of different things at a time, especially if you include PC titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back