The Texas budget is in big trouble. Any thoughts from conservatives?

[quote name='UncleBob']Can someone remind me what Pennsylvania or cfootball1's personal details have to do with the topic at hand?[/QUOTE]

Reading the thread helps.

Read it. Still doesn't explain what pulling Pennsylvania or cfootball's personal details into the topic have to do with anything.

The idea that cfootball can't comment on the Texas budget because he doesn't live there is pretty simplistic. That's like saying people who live in California or Pennsylvania can't comment on, say, the BP oil spill, because they don't live near the gulf or something.

[quote name='cfootball1']I've been to Texas once. The entire state is replete with people who wouldn't want to live anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Does that count the people who never left the state?

You really are dense. Like, flourless chocolate cake made with cement level.

The suggestion was "Texas balanced its budget with no Hollywood or tourism money."

This couldn't be more false.

Read the thread.

That's a huge leap from talking about Texas's budget to jumping to discussing the spelling of Pennsylvania or the personal details of another member of the forum.

The statement, taken 100% literally, was false. I agree. Still doesn't have a lick to do with how to spell Pennsylvania or the personal details of another member of the forum..

Indeed, 100% literally it would be false. But I already clarified it is a 47 billion dollar discrepancy in both Hollywood money and tourism money compared to California. That is literally a fact.

Y'all see why I ignore Bob now? Do you see? Come on over to this side, it's liberating. Guy can't hold an argument without delving into an infuriatingly anal-retentive degree of embarrassing semantics. An argument with Bob only ever consistently reveals that he truly never *says* anything (a point he'll be far too happy to demonstrate on his own).

And the guy's an adult who can't argue, posts photographs of fecal matter as a retort, but is the first to run and tattle everytime someone says something not so nice about him. Perhaps he'll report me for pointing out this fact, and whichever mods are up his ass will give me a nice temporary ban, like dohdough (now on sentence #2), RvB and camoor. If so, see y'all in two weeks or so.

Let me repeat: don't fucking bother with Bob. I haven't gone back on ignoring him since I last said I was going to, and life is far, far nicer.

Don't.
fucking.
Bother.

Just stop.

[quote name='cfootball1']Indeed, 100% literally it would be false. But I already clarified it is a 47 billion dollar discrepancy in both Hollywood money and tourism money compared to California. That is literally a fact.[/QUOTE]

No tourism money, no Hollywood money.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, wow. Installed. Absolutely magnificent, thank you.[/QUOTE]
It's probably the best script I've ever used with Greasemonkey.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/01/20/texas-budget-debate-begins/

The Texas surplus isn't all it's cracked up to be...?

And in the middle, there are those who simply ask, “What surplus?” Pragmatists such as Sen. Kirk Watson, D-Austin, and Rep. Dan Branch, R-Dallas, look at the last few budgets and see an accountant’s nightmare of deferred spending, budget gimmicks and a misrepresentation of the state’s true financial health. They want a more transparent budget to fully understand what’s going on.

Sounds like taking money out of Social Security, then bragging about your surplus. :D

Anyway, it's an interesting article of where the money is predicted to go.

I revived the thread based on comments made in another thread that tied in with speedracer's desire to revisit the situation down the road.

http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=851304#.UQErmndr_IU

So, many folks are quick to throw up all the things that go unfunded/underfunded when budget cuts are made. Yet, no one likes to discuss things that go unfunded/underfunded when the state just can't afford to pay the bills.

"We've had to borrow money to make ends meet. The state is behind on some programs approximately six months behind, on elder abuse, they're six months behind. On the community care program, they're three or four months behind which is a huge part of our budget," Brenda Fleming said.

Imagine if more states had followed Illinois' budget plans...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...n-pension-reform-robin-prunty-illinois-credit

“It’s absolutely bad news for taxpayers,” said Dan Rutherford, the Republican state treasurer.
Illinois received its bottom-of-the-pack ranking when it fell from an “A” rating to “A-minus.”

That’s the same rating as California, but California has a positive outlook. Illinois’ fragile overall financial status netted it a negative outlook, putting it behind California overall.

[quote name='UncleBob']Post #46 - the dude who started the thread was the first to bring Illinois into the discussion.[/QUOTE]

He ignored the Illinois part of the story he was quoting, you jumped all over it.

[quote name='speedracer']I'm really stoked that Illinois chose the tax increase only (basically) route. [...] but I'm still really interested to see how each comes out.[/QUOTE]

Again, direct from the OP.

So wait the whole thread was about Texas previously in trouble for the sole purpose of getting a dig at Conservatives. And now he can't bring up the fact that Obama's home state is going bankrupt?

You said post #46.

Well, he was the one who revived the thread based on TX being awesome or something, then he posted something else showing the TX budget was smoke and mirrors, and also complained about stuff being OT.

Still noteworthy they have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. Number 1 in business and getting more investors than anyone.

And their still not broke like Illinois.

[quote name='IRHari']You said post #46.[/quote]
The point being that the OP brought Illinois into the topic and later said he was interested in following up on the results of Illinois' budget decisions.

Well, he was the one who revived the thread based on TX being awesome or something,
Pretty sure I revived the thread based on Speedracer's desire to compare the three states down the road.

then he posted something else showing the TX budget was smoke and mirrors,
...and yet, it's still leaps and bounds beyond Illinois' budget issues.

If you had read the linked article, you would have known that.

and also complained about stuff being OT.
Not at all. I posted asking who it was that always pulls threads off topic. Not complaining, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Thanks for bringing up Texas again though...

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2013/jan/25/higher-education-leaders-happy-with-budget-to-of/

Leaders of Texas universities told lawmakers Friday they are happy with the proposed budget for the next two years — but not as happy as they could be.

General academic institutions overall, including all postsecondary schools, are set to receive a 1.5 percent increase in general revenue funding from the current budget.

"It's a step in the right direction," said Texas Tech University System Chancellor Kent Hance.

With so many states cutting Higher Education budgets - simply because they don't have the money to spend - seeing a state increase the budget seems like a good thing, no?

I open up my browser this morning to find that after slashing social services and education, among other things practically to the bone, the Texas budget now has a surplus. Governor Perry and State Republicans want to use that surplus as a tax refund instead of restoring some of the $5.4 billion cut. So... the next time a "budget crisis" happens again, they're to expect another round of cuts for the already underfunded programs.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/...s-as-contentious-as-a-previous-shortfall.html

Its is a known fact backed by studies that show that the most uneducated tend to be the most conservative and vote republicans..

A nation of idiots voting against themselves: A Republican/Tea Party/Right-Wing Dream come true.

We may spend too much on education, but spending close to nothing is no policy either.

Why do republicans and right-winger thump the bible and god, while they have no problem cutting off all services to the weakest and poorest and most defenseless of the population? God must be so proud, who knew God chose sides...

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Its is a known fact backed by studies that show that the most uneducated tend to be the most conservative and vote republicans..

A nation of idiots voting against themselves: A Republican/Tea Party/Right-Wing Dream come true.

We may spend too much on education, but spending close to nothing is no policy either.

Why do republicans and right-winger thump the bible and god, while they have no problem cutting off all services to the weakest and poorest and most defenseless of the population? God must be so proud, who knew God chose sides...[/QUOTE]

Source?

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Its is a known fact backed by studies that show that the most uneducated tend to be the most conservative and vote republicans..

Why do republicans and right-winger thump the bible and god, while they have no problem cutting off all services to the weakest and poorest and most defenseless of the population? God must be so proud, who knew God chose sides...[/QUOTE]

This is, for the most part, false. Statistically speaking, the number of self-identified Democrats and Republicans with 4-year college degrees is closer to equal than ever before, with Republicans probably maintaining a lead.

Also, the Republican party, has historically had significantly higher numbers of people with 4-year college degrees, while the Democratic Party maintains the highest number of high-school dropouts.

So education alone does not make you a Democrat or Republican.

Here's a source. Hard to find the information since it's usually tucked away in poll sites and books, but Google Books has this one up, at least.

http://books.google.com/books?id=96bItJAoRysC&pg=PA72#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to the following colleges DO NOT count as comparison :)
Regent University, Liberty University, Kings College, George Mason, Hillsdale.... etc etc etc.
Of course you can use colleges like that to skew your results. Just cause you say you go to "a college" we all know that irrelevant since these day anything can pass for "a college"

Wait wasn't Santorum calling schools a place of "indoctrination" and didn't Texas try to rewrite history by forcing textbook manufactures to dispute and question certain HISTORICAL facts...

When you study BULLSH*T, you are NOT EDUCATED.

So I stand by my statement. Stupid people, educated with false stories and facts, calling themselves educated is a JOKE.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']Going to the following colleges DO NOT count as comparison :)
Regent University, Liberty University, Kings College, George Mason, Hillsdale.... etc etc etc.
Of course you can use colleges like that to skew your results. Just cause you say you go to "a college" we all know that irrelevant since these day anything can pass for "a college"

Wait wasn't Santorum calling schools a place of "indoctrination" and didn't Texas try to rewrite history by forcing textbook manufactures to dispute and question certain HISTORICAL facts...

When you study BULLSH*T, you are NOT EDUCATED.

So I stand by my statement. Stupid people, educated with false stories and facts, calling themselves educated is a JOKE.
[/QUOTE]

There's a joke to be made here about your atrocious grammar, anti-Republican stance, and education.

Anyway, if you're not going to back your statements up with facts, there's nothing more to gain from listening to you. You don't even appear to understand the reasons for these discrepancies.

And being religious does not mean being uneducated; instead, it means that when science and religion clash, religion is often unsurprisingly favored over science.

Religion doesn't extend to all areas of education, only a few.

[quote name='ID2006']There's a joke to be made here about your atrocious grammar, anti-Republican stance, and education.

Anyway, if you're not going to back your statements up with facts, there's nothing more to gain from listening to you. You don't even appear to understand the reasons for these discrepancies.

And being religious does not mean being uneducated; instead, it means that when science and religion clash, religion is often unsurprisingly favored over science.

Religion doesn't extend to all areas of education, only a few.[/QUOTE]

So you going to take your gun and shoot me now cause you're the grammar police..

Wait if you going to attack my grammar, feel free to correct my statement.. No matter how you going to "fix" my statement, its ain't going to change the FACT and MESSAGE..

we all know how the republicans/right-wing love to "fix" facts ...:roll:

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']So you going to take your gun and shoot me now cause you're the grammar police..

Wait if you going to attack my grammar, feel free to correct my statement.. No matter how you going to "fix" my statement, its ain't going to change the FACT and MESSAGE..

we all know how the republicans/right-wing love to "fix" facts ...:roll:[/QUOTE]

You still have not backed up any of your claims. Did they not teach you in school that you have to cite your sources?

bread's done
Back