the top 5 fighting games from 1990-2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Console: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES)
Arcade: Super Street Fighter II: Championship Edition

Turbo on SNES felt slower to me.

in no particular order...

either mortal kombat trilogy for the ps1 or ultimate mortal kombat 3 for the snes
Tekken Tag Tournament
street fighter II, Super street fighter II or street fighter II turbo
mortal kombat II is a must
and you can't forget soul calibur or Power stone figure it out!

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, Street Fighter II was THE reason I wanted an SNES back in the day.[/quote]

The 6 button controller made the Genesis version a must-have for me.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Man, Street Fighter II was THE reason I wanted an SNES back in the day.[/QUOTE]
Ditto that. It was the game I got the day I bought a SNES.

In the same vein, after playing Tekken 2 in the arcades I KNEW I had to buy a PlayStation. I bought a PSone before the game came out, then waited impatiently for it. Had to do a raincheck at Target.

It's odd, as I'm not HUGE into fighting games. I'm also not too dedicated to them.

Pit-Fighter (Arcade, 1990)
TMNT: Tournament Fighters (NES, 1993)
Ballz (SNES, 1994)
Primal Rage (Arcade, 1994)
BloodStorm (Arcade, 1994)
fuck (SNES, 1994)
War Gods (N64, 1996)
Fighter's Destiny (N64 1998)

j/k, those were actually the games I was forced to play when there wasn't any SF, MK. or KOF on the premises.

Fighter's Destiny is THE shit if you get 2 good players together. I fucking love that game. The catch though is that it's only fun with 2 players that know all the moves with a given character, that way everyone can take advantage of all the poking / counters / throwing / counter-throwing and everything. I've had some truly epic Ninja (me) vs. Ryuji (my bro) matches before.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Fighter's Destiny is THE shit if you get 2 good players together. I fucking love that game. The catch though is that it's only fun with 2 players that know all the moves with a given character, that way everyone can take advantage of all the poking / counters / throwing / counter-throwing and everything. I've had some truly epic Ninja (me) vs. Ryuji (my bro) matches before.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Isn't there an option to change the speed?[/quote]

Through a cheat, yeah. But if you had no clue how to do the cheat, it was pretty much the same speed as the original SF2 on the SNES.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Through a cheat, yeah. But if you had no clue how to do the cheat, it was pretty much the same speed as the original SF2 on the SNES.[/QUOTE]

You didn't need any codes to increse the speed of SSFII Turbo. Right from the start it had two options: "Normal" & "Turbo." Normal played at the same speed of SSF2. However If you selected Turbo it alowed you to increse the speed from 0 - 5 stars, no codes needed. 0 being slow, 5 being very fast. With that said there was a code to increse the speed even more to 10 stars, but was way too fast and difficult to pull off specials.

Does anyone remember how the SNES version of Street Fighter II Turbo had a code for 10 Star Speed setting?

After the Capcom logo disappears on the opening credits, press Down, R, Up, L, Y, B on controller 2

There is no way in hell the last blade 2 is better than the last blade 1.
They messed up so many things in 2.
The backgrounds, the main character, and the speed mode were murdered.
The sub boss in the last blade is among the coolest fighting game characters ever.

Hmm...
1. Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike
2. Marvel vs. capcom 2
3. Soul Calibur
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. Street Fighter II: Championship edition

Those are the ones that consumed the most of my time at least.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']There is no way in hell the last blade 2 is better than the last blade 1.
They messed up so many things in 2.
The backgrounds, the main character, and the speed mode were murdered.
The sub boss in the last blade is among the coolest fighting game characters ever.[/quote]

Really? I felt the LB2 was cleaner in the looks, sound, annd controls dept. I guess I just didn't give Last Blade a better chance.
I got to put this cart back into my MVS cab.

[quote name='SL4IN']Killer Instinct Gold[/quote]

Yikes. Really? I mean, I liked it, but IMO it just paled in comparison to the original with all the combos and ridiculous endings. Gold seemed like a truly moe balanced and tighter fighting game, but it just wasn't as fun.

The Rumor that Rare was working on the original arcade port for XBLA really needs to come true. I have an emulator for the PC that runs alright, but it's just missing controls that are responsive. Ultimately, the SNES version is still the best way to play it short of owning an arcade machine, or a board and a jamma supergun.

I believe that my top 5 fighters are

1. SFII
2.Guilty Gear(any)
3.Killer Instinct(Snes or Arcade)
4.Soul Calibur(DC)
5.UKM3

Hard to pick just 5, I love fighting games.

Mine would have to be soul calibur series because its super fun to play with your freinds and the specials and combos are easy to perform. Even girls can play it well... i was even beaten by my freind who is a girl.

[quote name='Strubble']Mine would have to be soul calibur series because its super fun to play with your freinds and the specials and combos are easy to perform. Even girls can play it well... i was even beaten by my freind who is a girl.[/quote]

B-B-B-B-B-B- BUTTON MASHER!!!!!!!

just kidding, I agree Soul Calibur is an awesome game to play with the females, so is Tekken.

I remember a few years back at a Game Works, my girlfriend humiliated me at Tekken 5. After that moment, I knew she was a keeper. :D

[quote name='level1online']I remember a few years back at a Game Works, my girlfriend humiliated me at Tekken 5.[/QUOTE]

B-B-B-B-B-B- BUTTON MASHER!!!!!!!

[quote name='level1online']B-B-B-B-B-B- BUTTON MASHER!!!!!!!

just kidding, I agree Soul Calibur is an awesome game to play with the females, so is Tekken.

I remember a few years back at a Game Works, my girlfriend humiliated me at Tekken 5. After that moment, I knew she was a keeper. :D[/quote]

It wouldn't be bad to just get beaten by a future girl friend but she's gonna think about your humiliation during your whole relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back