The Truth about Halo 2

I really don't know if its the final version, and I really don't care. I don't care what you have to say about it, because I didn't want everything to be spoiled, so I didn't read it. I'm still gonna buy it when I have the money.

I just don't know why people are ruling out what those of us who have played the game have to say.

Are they in denial?

Why would we who have played the game make shit up?

We wouldn't.

Halo 2 is good. No one is saying it isn't. It's just a let down. A lot more was expected from me. It's more of the same.

Multiplayer is still not that good. Not enough options. Same old story.

Hmmm... a couple of things.

1) I'm fairly sure that the leak was the final version. I know that without a link (if I find it I'll edit this post) I'm going to get laced into, but I read somewhere that Bungie employees suspected someone stole it off the assembly line. Microsoft did confirmt that it was the final version (me thinks anyways...)

2) I can completely relate to all the anxious Halo 2 fans out there lacing into this guy. Not because I'm a huge Halo fan, but because I've anticipated games that have gotten some less than stellar reviews Or reviews that have said the game was a "letdown". Some advice, chill the fuck out. Youre going to buy this game on November 9th (edited). Chances are if you are in this forum you are going to buy it MIDNIGHT at a party. So buy it, enjoy it, and review it yourself when you get it. Reviewers said Super Mario Sunshine sucked, but I loved every stinkin' minute of it.

So basically, chill out and enjoy the game come Nov. 2nd. Everygame has its detractors ('cept maybe Zelda 64 ::wink::) and thats fine. You will survive!

EDIT: Yeah... Im an idiot... Nov. 9th

[quote name='pumbaa']Hmmm... a couple of things.

1) I'm fairly sure that the leak was the final version. I know that without a link (if I find it I'll edit this post) I'm going to get laced into, but I read somewhere that Bungie employees suspected someone stole it off the assembly line. Microsoft did confirmt that it was the final version (me thinks anyways...)

2) I can completely relate to all the anxious Halo 2 fans out there lacing into this guy. Not because I'm a huge Halo fan, but because I've anticipated games that have gotten some less than stellar reviews Or reviews that have said the game was a "letdown". Some advice, chill the shaq-fu out. Youre going to buy this game on November 2nd. Chances are if you are in this forum you are going to buy it MIDNIGHT at a party. So buy it, enjoy it, and review it yourself when you get it. Reviewers said Super Mario Sunshine sucked, but I loved every stinkin' minute of it.

So basically, chill out and enjoy the game come Nov. 2nd. Everygame has its detractors ('cept maybe Zelda 64 ::wink::) and thats fine. You will survive![/quote]

I believe you mean the 9th, you silly piggy you. :wink:

Just relax guys,chances are people will give it a high score just because it's halo and it's bungie. Millions of xbox fanboys will still call it the best game ever, not because it is, but because it's halo.

but I know it will be a very enjoyable game. I'm just not planning on spending months with it like I did with halo 2. There are too many other good games out there for me to just stick with one game that isn't that much evolved (or devolved) from halo 1.

But I eagerly await Nov 9 none the less.

[quote name='stormenmormon'][quote name='jer7583']
3. Have you ever tried to download a song and gotten one with loud, annoying, glitchy noises instead? Maybe MS is doing just that. Releasing an earlier , less complete build to confuse the pirate market while going after and shutting down the distributors of the real version. The piracy happened about a week ago. These negative opinions haven't started happening until just the last few days.. maybe its representative of the latest downloaders getting this "beta" version instead of the real thing.. There is one thing that leads me to maybe believe this. Someone said the cutscenes were a bit glitchy with charachters dissapearing or popping into view. This is SPECIFICALLY one of the issues that frankie talked about in a weekly update a few weeks ago, that this happens when creating in game cinemas and was being worked on.

Yes the last one is kinda out there, but if they do it in the music industry, why not for pirated games?[/quote]

bwhaahahaha... sure, you just keep telling yourself that. Too bad that makes no sense.[/quote]

I SAID it was pretty out there.. and its possible that the single player isn't that great.. no game is guaranteed to live up to the hype..

[quote name='evilmax17']Why would microsoft leak an unfinished version of the game and claim it was the full one. If anything, it's putting a serious damper on the hype that was surrounding it. This isn't helping their business.[/quote]

No.. My theory was that an earlier build was "leaked" by MS as a reaction to the full game being leaked.. so they could shut down the real leak and let pirates go after the cheap beta.. so they'll still want to purchase the real thing when it comes out.. kinda like mp3s where you only get half the song and the rest is irritating noises.. Again im not saying its for sure.. just a theory, theory's can be (and often are) wrong.

[quote name='jer7583'][quote name='evilmax17']Why would microsoft leak an unfinished version of the game and claim it was the full one. If anything, it's putting a serious damper on the hype that was surrounding it. This isn't helping their business.[/quote]

No.. My theory was that an earlier build was "leaked" by MS as a reaction to the full game being leaked.. so they could shut down the real leak and let pirates go after the cheap beta.. so they'll still want to purchase the real thing when it comes out.. kinda like mp3s where you only get half the song and the rest is irritating noises.. Again im not saying its for sure.. just a theory, theory's can be (and often are) wrong.[/quote]

But that really doesn't make any sense, why would microsoft want a bigger leak on their hands with a crappier version? The mp3 comparision doesn't work cause the reason you get half the song is cause of programs such as Kazaa that will seed the mp3 from a good source, and then seed it from the static source which is why only parts are messed up, not cause the company put up a song that way. Anyone that knows about p2p programs can tell you that.

[quote name='Heyricochet'][quote name='jer7583'][quote name='evilmax17']Why would microsoft leak an unfinished version of the game and claim it was the full one. If anything, it's putting a serious damper on the hype that was surrounding it. This isn't helping their business.[/quote]

No.. My theory was that an earlier build was "leaked" by MS as a reaction to the full game being leaked.. so they could shut down the real leak and let pirates go after the cheap beta.. so they'll still want to purchase the real thing when it comes out.. kinda like mp3s where you only get half the song and the rest is irritating noises.. Again im not saying its for sure.. just a theory, theory's can be (and often are) wrong.[/quote]

But that really doesn't make any sense, why would microsoft want a bigger leak on their hands with a crappier version? The mp3 comparision doesn't work cause the reason you get half the song is cause of programs such as Kazaa that will seed the mp3 from a good source, and then seed it from the static source which is why only parts are messed up, not cause the company put up a song that way. Anyone that knows about p2p programs can tell you that.[/quote]

yeah it really doesn't make sense.. I'm sticking with the "pirates are too picky and not real halo fans" If they changed nothing but added new missions I'd still like it..

Wouldn't them being not true halo fans make them less biased than 99% of xbox owners out there? I guarnetee you that even if halo 2 was a huge dissapointment (worse than that vietname shell shock game), people would still say it's awesome just because it's halo. I listen to them (even though I love halo) because I think they're more unbiased than us.

[quote name='jer7583'][quote name='Heyricochet'][quote name='jer7583'][quote name='evilmax17']Why would microsoft leak an unfinished version of the game and claim it was the full one. If anything, it's putting a serious damper on the hype that was surrounding it. This isn't helping their business.[/quote]

But that really doesn't make any sense, why would microsoft want a bigger leak on their hands with a crappier version? The mp3 comparision doesn't work cause the reason you get half the song is cause of programs such as Kazaa that will seed the mp3 from a good source, and then seed it from the static source which is why only parts are messed up, not cause the company put up a song that way. Anyone that knows about p2p programs can tell you that.[/quote]

yeah it really doesn't make sense.. I'm sticking with the "pirates are too picky and not real halo fans" If they changed nothing but added new missions I'd still like it..[/quote]
i think im going to stick with the fact that your in denile

[quote name='stormenmormon']Wouldn't them being not true halo fans make them less biased than 99% of xbox owners out there? I guarnetee you that even if halo 2 was a huge dissapointment (worse than that vietname shell shock game), people would still say it's awesome just because it's halo. I listen to them (even though I love halo) because I think they're more unbiased than us.[/quote]

Bingo. To take the time to write a hugeass list comparing it to Halo 1, you have to be a die-hard Halo fan. You can't stick any generalizations on pirates. Downloading occasional mp3s and Halo 2 doesn't mean one sits there and only downloads games all day and never buys any. I mean, I have 2 Halo 2 preorders. Most people labeled as 'pirates' aren't any different with their game-playing habits.

Anyway, people that never played Halo will love Halo 2. But if you're a complete Halo fanatic, you'll likely opt to play Halo 1 on November 10th.

I noticed that there were a ton of Halo 2 games on XB Connect; has the OP (or anyone else) had the chance to try it on there (and if so, would they be willing to give a report)?

myke,

TubeRacer,
Thanks for posting your review. Though you ruined some of the hype for me, I think it's good to be getting such a straightforward review. It'll probably be one of the only ones out there by Nov. 9. Most sites would hide everything you said with the comment: "There are a "few" bugs, but that's what DL content is for (hopefully)." Thanks for coming out and taking the flaming to tell the truth.

And to piss people off: Denile is actually Denial. And nonetheless is normally 1 word stormenmormon (lol, i had to say something about you peter, you actually posted.)

And for you fanboys out there, if you want to feel better, someone from one of my classes had a halo 2 lan party with 16 people and said it was much better than halo 1. But then again, that's just his opinion. So we all have to wait and see on Nov. 9. Even if Halo 2 sucks, there's still Kotor 2.

[quote name='mykevermin']I noticed that there were a ton of Halo 2 games on XB Connect; has the OP (or anyone else) had the chance to try it on there (and if so, would they be willing to give a report)?

myke,[/quote]

XBC, eh? Well, the Battle Rifle has replaced the pistol as the weapon of choice for easy kills for people with good aim. Four shots to the head will take someone out--only one less shot than the old pistol. So why did they make the pistol so weak to 'balance' the game when the BR is now the 'unbalanced' weapon?

Coagulation (Blood Gultch) is the most played map, since most Halo 1 maps are just plain better designed than Halo 2 maps. To be fair, I played a 10 person Team Slayer on Headlong and it was actually pretty fun. The reason it was fun was because you have the power to defy the game-creator's wishes and randomly change teams in the middle of the game. It was 5 reds against 5 blues, and I switched to the green team. This pissed people off, but what could they do about it? Naturally, I ended up getting the most kills and offsetting the fairness of the game.

Heh, the new pistol takes 9 shots to the head to kill someone. What a waste of a weapon.

[quote name='TubeRacer']Four shots to the head will take someone out--only one less shot than the old pistol.[/quote]

The original pistol only takes 3 head shots to kill.

[quote name='TubeRacer']Sorry, I meant "only one more."[/quote]

I figured as much. You seem to be very well-versed in the first Halo, and 3 head shots is common knowledge. :wink:

[quote name='stormenmormon']Wouldn't them being not true halo fans make them less biased than 99% of xbox owners out there? I guarnetee you that even if halo 2 was a huge dissapointment (worse than that vietname shell shock game), people would still say it's awesome just because it's halo. I listen to them (even though I love halo) because I think they're more unbiased than us.[/quote]

they may be more unbiased, but I trust a review from a halo fan more, because for one, he gets the halo universe, and for two, his view on the game will be more like mine. A non halo fan goes in being skeptical and not understanding the whole story/universe.. I go in freaking out about being able to defend earth from the covenant invasion.. yeah, it's not unbiased, but it's closer to what I would think about the game..

[quote name='jer7583'][quote name='stormenmormon']Wouldn't them being not true halo fans make them less biased than 99% of xbox owners out there? I guarnetee you that even if halo 2 was a huge dissapointment (worse than that vietname shell shock game), people would still say it's awesome just because it's halo. I listen to them (even though I love halo) because I think they're more unbiased than us.[/quote]

they may be more unbiased, but I trust a review from a halo fan more, because for one, he gets the halo universe, and for two, his view on the game will be more like mine. A non halo fan goes in being skeptical and not understanding the whole story/universe.. I go in freaking out about being able to defend earth from the covenant invasion.. yeah, it's not unbiased, but it's closer to what I would think about the game..[/quote]

Are you suggesting I'm not a Halo fan? I assure you that is incorrect.

(Generic possible spoiler alert)

Just to let you know, even though "Saving the Earth from the Covenant" is widely advertised as the basis for the main plot, for some reason Halo 2 actually has little (if anything) to do with saving Earth.

I played the final version at a Bungie media event last week for 26 hours, so I wish I could get my hands on the pirated version and settle once and for all whether the leak is the full version or not. From a lot of things that have been said about gameplay quirks in the leak, I'm really doubting that you guys are playing the final copy.

[quote name='peteyrose']I played the final version at a Bungie media event last week for 26 hours, so I wish I could get my hands on the pirated version and settle once and for all whether the leak is the full version or not. From a lot of things that have been said about gameplay quirks in the leak, I'm really doubting that you guys are playing the final copy.[/quote]
Did you find out how many levels (single and multi) there were in the final version when you played?

[quote name='TubeRacer']Bungie forces you to give a shit about Campaign by including unlockable multiplayer stuff through beating Campaign.

The timing, the responses and announcements from Microsoft and Bungie, and everything else pretty much suggest with 99.97% chance that this is in fact the final version. It's not positive, but it's damn close to positive.[/quote]

Well reports from other legimate sorces say it's more along a .05% chance.

But again, we'll see, in the mean time I won't lose any sleep ;)

[quote name='-Never4ever-']

But again, we'll see, in the mean time I won't lose any sleep ;)[/quote]

reports from where? care to back your claim up with any facts? last I checked microsoft and bungie said they stole the final version from the factory where they were mass producing it.

man, I can't believe how many people are in denial. It's just a good game! Not a great game or a god game. Just a solid game that was way over hyped (like so many recent microsoft products). Man, what happened to microsoft recently? Fable, Sudeki, Halo 2 and now BC and its sequel has been canned!

Petey, I've got a friend who had the same opportunity as you and through conversation with someone who does have the leak, they determined that it likely is not final.

bah, it makes no sense! why would microsoft leak a version of halo that isn't final? It's certainly not helping them. It's made me doubt halo 2 more than ever now and the same with other people.

Anyone else thinking this could be another Unreal 2 type of incident? (anyone who played that game knows how terrible it is, and how much better the first is compared to it.)

[quote name='BLarR']Anyone else thinking this could be another Unreal 2 type of incident? (anyone who played that game knows how terrible it is, and how much better the first is compared to it.)[/quote]

I'm not familiar w. Unreal II, but I imagine there is not much that could be done to put Halo 2 at that level compared to the first. Unless, of course, they radically change the control scheme. I may have already said it before, but for most, more of the same (plus Xbox Live) is more than some people need at this point.

17 days!

myke.

[quote name='stormenmormon'][quote name='-Never4ever-']

reports from where? care to back your claim up with any facts? last I checked microsoft and bungie said they stole the final version from the factory where they were mass producing it.

man, I can't believe how many people are in denial.[/quote]It looks like you're in denial that the leaked copy is not the final copy. :roll:

[quote name='stormenmormon']BC and its sequel has been canned![/quote]What's BC? Apparantly they should have canned it, because I've never heard of Microsoft making a game that had BC in it. :?

[quote name='stormenmormon']BC and its sequel has been canned!
What's BC? Apparantly they should have canned it, because I've never heard of Microsoft making a game that had BC in it. :?[/quote]

Well, that's your own ignorance. BC has been in development for years.
http://xbox.ign.com/objects/480/480299.html?ui=gamefinder

Anyway, here's The Real Truth About Halo 2:
It's stupid, just like the first one. Get over it.

Assholes the lot of you. Why would MS leak any copy? Any press is not good press in this case. Peteyrose, do you have the ability to view the version in circulation should you happen to find a copy somewhere?

[quote name='sj41'][quote name='stormenmormon'][quote name='-Never4ever-']

man, I can't believe how many people are in denial.[/quote]It looks like you're in denial that the leaked copy is not the final copy. :roll:

[quote name='stormenmormon']BC and its sequel has been canned![/quote]What's BC? Apparantly they should have canned it, because I've never heard of Microsoft making a game that had BC in it. :?[/quote]

Me in denial? Maybe... but I haven't seen any sources showing me any proof that the version stolen from the factory isn't the final version. Show me some proof that's legitimate and I may believe you.

And BC was a hugely popular game from peter molyneux (fable dude) that was really hyped but they canceled it because it wasn't turning out to plan.

why would they be mass producing a copy of Halo 2 at a factory if it isnt the final copy?... would be slightly pointless

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='TubeRacer']I apologize for that. I've edited the first post to remove those things.

Also, I never once said I have downloaded the game, nor did I say I condone it. It could be taken that I implied that I downloaded it or something, but it's not really important, is it? I've got two copies pre-ordered anyway, so perhaps the real pirates are the ones who should be reported to Microsoft.[/quote]

How about editing the part about playing as the covenant.

Even if you are going to buy the game, it still doesn't make it any less illegal when you download it.[/quote]

Actually, once you own it, you have the right to make a backup copy by whatever means. Whether it be copying it on your computer or downloading it, once you've purchased it you can back it up. That's the only thing Bill Clinton did right as president.

Tuberacer, thank you for your comments. You say the controls are unchanged from halo 1. Does this include button configurations? Is the JUMPY configuration still in? and if so, can you tell me what the secondary fire button is when using this configuration.

Thank you.

Haters, are funny..
Halo rocked...you know it.
Halo 2 will rock... and you still know it.
The wait has been tough, but Nov 9th will mark the largest sick day known to man.
Ive already taken it off and look forward to many hours of playing. Complain, rant, bitch all you want. Still you cannot stop or keep me from buying and enjoying this game.. hell Im gonna but 2 copies...8)

Alright guys, the legit Halo 2 is out in many places now. Time to have everybody else confirm all the shit I originally wrote weeks ago.

Everything was cut from the game. Thanks, Bungie.

[quote name='jer7583']I have personally talked to people who have played the multiplayer, and even in beta version they said they liked it more than halo 1. If I can play a better multiplayer halo online, i'll be a happy guy.

I have some high hopes for the story after reading the books and the ilovebees audio story being of such high quality.. im glad the OP didn't post any story spoilers.[/quote]

Ok. Well be prepared to be disappointed. The story on ilovebees.com is better than the single player story in Halo2. Ok I kid. The story is very well done... at first. The further the game goes along, the worse the story gets. The ending is goddamn terrible as well.

Oh and why do people hate on the hog from Halo 1? It controls nicely if you learn to use the brake. The new one handles like a fucking brick. No more hairpin turns to try and run someone over.

I wish that Halo2 wasnt as bad as it is. But it's multiplayer is good enough.

[quote name='GTZ_NSR'][quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='TubeRacer']I apologize for that. I've edited the first post to remove those things.

Also, I never once said I have downloaded the game, nor did I say I condone it. It could be taken that I implied that I downloaded it or something, but it's not really important, is it? I've got two copies pre-ordered anyway, so perhaps the real pirates are the ones who should be reported to Microsoft.[/quote]

How about editing the part about playing as the covenant.

Even if you are going to buy the game, it still doesn't make it any less illegal when you download it.[/quote]

Actually, once you own it, you have the right to make a backup copy by whatever means. Whether it be copying it on your computer or downloading it, once you've purchased it you can back it up. That's the only thing Bill Clinton did right as president.[/quote]

Actually, you need to check the EULA to see if that is ok if memory serves me.

bread's done
Back