The TV Show about the Parks and Recreation Dept. in Pawnee, IN

I hope they let her keep the faded Kiwi accent. Unf. This is one of those situations where stunt casting pays off.

Maybe they could get Elton John to preside over Leslie and whatshisface's wedding. Don't know why Elton John popped in my head when I tried to think of celebrities who may be ordained ministers. Is Carol Channing still alive?

I liked the BBQ. I think my favorite Ron's-love-of-meat moment is the purse bacon from the Parks Directors picnic episode. The way he sprints away like a chubby 4 year old makes it. Good stuff, Ron.

When's Xena show up? Time's wasting. While they have Xena on the clock, they should have her play all female roles not occupied by Amy Poehler. And prefix all characters in the show she plays with "Xena." XenaDonna. XenaApril. XenaTammy. Hell, give her the guys, too. "Dammit, XenaJerry!"

Maybe she could slip into the old Xena garb for kicks? And hell, maybe moan a random viewer's name just before commercial break. Throwing a name out there: dothog? Just moan that -- no, more like a growl, sexier-like -- and look dead straight into the camera, smile dangerously, tweak a nipple?

NBC should do this. For the viewers.

[quote name='neocisco']P&R's writers are far too clever to use a crutch Xena reference.[/QUOTE]

Crutch? You've missed the point.

No Xena for you, dude.

I couldn't make it through that scene. Maybe the rest of the episode was better, but that was a dumb, lazy, obvious bit.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I wonder what other songs are on Ben's Cool Summer Jams CD?[/QUOTE]

Rump Shaker has to be on there.

Salt n' Pepa? Ben IS old!

Lucy Lawless was as beautiful as ever, and I did enjoy the men be princesses for a day.

I was reading the AVClub comments about Ben and April hooking up and I was obviously creeped out by it. Besides, their relationship is more brother/sister like than with Leslie and Andy, who seem more like mother and son.

April has weird synergy with almost all of the characters. It's obvious that the personality they've written for her doesn't like this aspect, but still accepts and exercises it at appropriate times. I just always get a kick when they sneak in all those little cozy moments where she really clicks with those around her (especially Ron).

I'd be terribly disappointed if the writers went with both of them hooking up. Although that would wash out the sourness that was Ann and Tom. So there's a slight silver lining.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Salt n' Pepa? Ben IS old!

Lucy Lawless was as beautiful as ever, and I did enjoy the men be princesses for a day.

I was reading the AVClub comments about Ben and April hooking up and I was obviously creeped out by it. Besides, their relationship is more brother/sister like than with Leslie and Andy, who seem more like mother and son.[/QUOTE]

What's old to you? That song would probably be on a mix in my school years and I'm only 32.

And Lucy looked a bit big to me, doesn't ahe get naked a ton on Spartacus? She looks great on that.

That song came out in 1993, and in that year I was too busy learning how to read and watch Power Rangers.

I was trying to place finger on who Councilman Jamm looked like or reminded me of, and he really looks like Marlow's psychoanalyst in the Singing Detective, though with messier hair. I know it was John Glaser. :shrug:

[quote name='detectiveconan16']That song came out in 1993, and in that year I was too busy learning how to read and watch Power Rangers.

I was trying to place finger on who Councilman Jamm looked like or reminded me of, and he really looks like Marlow's psychoanalyst in the Singing Detective, though with messier hair. I know it was John Glaser. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Reminded me of Charlie Kaufman I think.

charlie-kaufman.jpg

Famous supermodel Christie Brinkley is Jerry's wife. It's funny how they made Jerry's age at least 10 years than he is in real life, and Ms. Brinkley is eight years older than O'Heir.

Yeah, no new episode. :( But hey, at least Leslie sexy adonis is on tonight.

[quote name='Strell']What a surprise. This thing with Adam Scott is fucking retarded.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was funny.

Looks like Parks & Rec is getting moved again. January 17th its back to being on at 8:30 PM CST on the Thursday night line up. Yeah that's going to help ratings for sure NBC with this constant time changing. At least I always know when The Office (as shitty as it is now) will be on that's for sure.

Twice in the last few weeks with this show being bumped for something. The debate I can almost live with. But CMA awards? Horse's ass.

Although I was NOT a fan of what happened at the end of the most recent episode, since that whole bit is so tired and worn into the ground.

And yeah, The Office is just...it's like I'm gone beyond mad with it. It's like Disappointment, as an anthropomorphized entity, is beating me in tandem with Misery, the bag of oranges being passed between them as they utter demotivational speeches.

Actually it got bumped off this week due to Hurricane Sandy. NBC felt those reruns of The Voice were more important. On the other hand NBC does have at least enough brains to realize that Dwight Schrute spin off is a bad idea so they are nixing it. The pilot for that show is now going to be part of The Office this season.

In regards to the ending of the last episodes of Parks... I'll admit I was kinda shocked to see Ben proposing to Leslie that quickly as I was thinking that wasn't going to happen until February this season perhaps on the Valentines week episode. Certainly was a moving and emotionally happy moment at least for me.

Yeah, I too was disappointed that they preempted this show. But then again, apparently a lot more people watch the voice than Parks and Rec, despite the Prez giving it his thumbs up.

Yeah went to watch it last night and stupid The Voice was on. Was not happy.

I've been enjoying this season of The Office so far. Obviously it's not back to its prime, but it has definitely been better than the 2 previous seasons, so far.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Yeah went to watch it last night and stupid The Voice was on. Was not happy.

I've been enjoying this season of The Office so far. Obviously it's not back to its prime, but it has definitely been better than the 2 previous seasons, so far.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's going out on a strong note.

To their credit, the CMA awards writers are sharp enough to realize that if you don't have a wedding proposal at all, then you completely eliminate the chances of writing a hackneyed and forced wedding proposal.

Okay, I understand that everyone digs wedding proposals and that I'm a cynical bastard, but can we at least agree that they took the "unstable Chris Traeger" thing way, way too far? That character hasn't worked for a long time. There's no shame in leaving characters one-note -- it's a sitcom! It's not The Wire. Chris the Dynamo is a lot more useful than Chris the Sadsack.

Yeah, we already know that Chris Traegar isn't much of a take charge guy, and you'd think by now the writers would have allowed that positivity trait of his to develop into that former more. All I see is a guy who's horribly depressed. What happened to the Chris that would believes he would live to at least 150, and have at least four wives, one of which is a Chinese woman who isn't born until 70 years in the future?

Didn't watch last night's ep just yet, but the Traeger sorrow is bullshit if it's gotten worse. That kind of personality wouldn't be taken down by trivial stupid shit like "not having a girlfriend." He'd just go kick some ass on the track and hook up with another hunny.

This is the kind of shit that kills a show (look at you, Simpsons) - taking a character and pulling a complete reversal on their core under the guise of "this adds dimensionality." No it doesn't - it proves you're a hack for a writer because you can't think of a better angle than "YEAH BOI STIR THAT SHIT UP." I don't even like the idea of Ron being hurt over a woman dumping him. There's ZERO indication of that until this season. Honestly, was there even a valid reason for Leslie to go after Ben in the first place?

I always have this concern with shows where it feels like the writing staff either A) collectively inherits stupidity or B) the primary people move along to another project and leave their characters in the hands of sadists, morons, and people will bullshit agendas.

I hate every day that Calvin and Hobbes isn't fresh and new, but thank god Watterson knew when he had to end it.

/not having a great morning

[quote name='Strell']Didn't watch last night's ep just yet, but the Traeger sorrow is bullshit if it's gotten worse.[/QUOTE]
So, about last night's episode...

Last night's episode, I wasn't as excited about it considering next week's preview! though it was pretty funny. Ben's mom is played by Captain Stottlemeyer's wife, and his dad's girlfriend looks like somebody I might have seen in that Office episode where Michael went to Benihana's.
Leslie's refusal to give up the chew toy that is the lack of tolerance between Ben's parents did wear on me a bit during the entire episode, especially when the solution was that they could show up, sit down and shut up.

I thought they wasted two really good guest stars. Ben's mom has done a lot of other stuff, she's one of the original Steppenwolf players. And Ben's dad is the goddamn tits (assuming you've seen Breaking Bad). They were handed some by-the-book material, the bickering parents trope is done and done.

I agree with what Strell said. I think this is will always be a problem when TV is done in this 22-episode per season format. I think there's something to be said for going small and staying on topic (meaning, for example, if your premise is centered around a parks and rec dept, we get episodes relating to that theme). Just about every show that's ever been feels obligated to do "something more," and they do thinking that they're adding depth. However, they're just watering it down, they're making the show seem more like all the other bullshit shows on TV, where people fall in love, people have crazy weddings, main characters have divorced parents who bicker comically without consequence beyond whatever hijinx ensue, etc.

So I know it looks like I'm picking on PNR because this is a PNR thread, but this is a problem for lots of TV. I guess it's to say that, while PNR is one of the "better" shows, what PNR is right now shows how relative our sense of good and bad is.

Back on point: It's the premise that distinguishes the show. When you stay true to that, the show will feel right. That isn't to say the relationships between the characters aren't important, but if those relationships don't honor the premise, and they're just the everyday "Different folks understanding/learning to love," then fuck it. This ain't Too Close for Comfort, and the guy playing Ben ain't JM J Bullock. Because if it were then I would fucking love Ben.

bread's done
Back