The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Jkam, what resolution do you intend to play at? The A10-6800k or 5800k should be fine for 720p or even 1600x900 if you had 2133mhz ram.
Well now I'm kind of backpedaling again. I used to have a smaller monitor that only did 1440x900 but now I'm using a Sony Monitor which does 1080p. It seems kind of silly for me to spend the money to make a parallel jump only to get a smaller mini-itx case. Not to mention although older my 5770 would probably perform a bit better than the A10-6800k APU.

I guess it kind of makes more sense to either build a mini-itx system with a card or just hold on to what I have until it makes sense to buy an APU. I here the upcoming Kaveri from AMD hitting in early 2014 should be another jump.

I've actually been thinking that maybe I should just stick with what I have which I could always upgrade down the road if I feel like it.

I think part of it is I want a small system (mac mini - intel nuc) in size with some real graphics power. Although it seems some strides have been made with crazy laptops like the Razor Blade no one is really pushing anything close in the desktop space probably because if you are a PC gamer you want the biggest baddest. Let's be honest too a small gaming desktop would be a niche of a niche product with probably not a lot of market.

I wish AMD would make it's own little box similar to the NUC. Even if it was 2 or 3 Mac Minis on top of one another in size with like an A-10 I think it would be exciting since PC case design hasn't really shrunk enough. I'm guessing with all gaming heat would be the issue although the Intel 5200 Iris Pro might be a better solution for something small since it uses less power. I kind of want to see the next round of mac minis and intel nucs which will be hitting anywhere from late 2013 to early 2014 to see what kind of graphics they use.

I'm being unrealistic at this point....but honestly if I could find something small and play my STEAM library as it is today I'd probably be set.

Well now I'm kind of backpedaling again. I used to have a smaller monitor that only did 1440x900 but now I'm using a Sony Monitor which does 1080p. It seems kind of silly for me to spend the money to make a parallel jump only to get a smaller mini-itx case. Not to mention although older my 5770 would probably perform a bit better than the A10-6800k APU.

I guess it kind of makes more sense to either build a mini-itx system with a card or just hold on to what I have until it makes sense to buy an APU. I here the upcoming Kaveri from AMD hitting in early 2014 should be another jump.

I've actually been thinking that maybe I should just stick with what I have which I could always upgrade down the road if I feel like it.

I think part of it is I want a small system (mac mini - intel nuc) in size with some real graphics power. Although it seems some strides have been made with crazy laptops like the Razor Blade no one is really pushing anything close in the desktop space probably because if you are a PC gamer you want the biggest baddest. Let's be honest too a small gaming desktop would be a niche of a niche product with probably not a lot of market.

I wish AMD would make it's own little box similar to the NUC. Even if it was 2 or 3 Mac Minis on top of one another in size with like an A-10 I think it would be exciting since PC case design hasn't really shrunk enough. I'm guessing with all gaming heat would be the issue although the Intel 5200 Iris Pro might be a better solution for something small since it uses less power. I kind of want to see the next round of mac minis and intel nucs which will be hitting anywhere from late 2013 to early 2014 to see what kind of graphics they use.

I'm being unrealistic at this point....but honestly if I could find something small and play my STEAM library as it is today I'd probably be set.
I don't want to be rude but why are you bent on the mac mini size? Mac minis are small because most of the parts are made for a laptop form factor.

The closest you could get to that size in mini-ITX is one of those cramped shuttle cases.

I don't want to be rude but why are you bent on the mac mini size? Mac minis are small because most of the parts are made for a laptop form factor.

The closest you could get to that size in mini-ITX is one of those cramped shuttle cases.
You aren't being rude. I don't know I think I've been on a "less is more" kick lately. Finally ripping the last of my CD Collection boxing them up to put them away, clearing out older stuff I no longer need, and just removing the excess clutter. I realize the mac mini is made from laptop parts and my computer is probably something silly I feel the need to downsize but I think I'm also at a crossroads if I should stick with PC gaming because I don't find myself sitting at the computer desk to play a game as much. I've been playing more on console. Not that my STEAM library is huge but I wouldn't mind firing up a game if I feel like it though.

It probably also started a bit when I saw this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163208

Even though the case is small you can get a decent graphics card in there. I think part of it was when I built my current rig I really wanted to go Mini-ITX instead of ATX but people talked me out of it. Live and learn.

You aren't being rude. I don't know I think I've been on a "less is more" kick lately. Finally ripping the last of my CD Collection boxing them up to put them away, clearing out older stuff I no longer need, and just removing the excess clutter. I realize the mac mini is made from laptop parts and my computer is probably something silly I feel the need to downsize but I think I'm also at a crossroads if I should stick with PC gaming because I don't find myself sitting at the computer desk to play a game as much. I've been playing more on console. Not that my STEAM library is huge but I wouldn't mind firing up a game if I feel like it though.

It probably also started a bit when I saw this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163208

Even though the case is small you can get a decent graphics card in there. I think part of it was when I built my current rig I really wanted to go Mini-ITX instead of ATX but people talked me out of it. Live and learn.
I know exactly how you feel about PC gaming. Personally, I wanted to go mITX but people talked me into going ATX instead.

IMO you should wait a year or two until APUs can truly game. In the meantime, you should save and when the time comes, build with a capable APU so that you have a daily driver and something that could play games without breaking the bank.

I know exactly how you feel about PC gaming. Personally, I wanted to go mITX but people talked me into going ATX instead.

IMO you should wait a year or two until APUs can truly game. In the meantime, you should save and when the time comes, build with a capable APU so that you have a daily driver and something that could play games without breaking the bank.
Yeah I think you are right, I think I'll wait it out a little while longer.

one of you guys in socal should donate/sell me a cheaper system. i'm not looking for the greatest specs but something I can run indies like thomas was alone and what not. I can barely play this game on my current rig, lol

So I am looking to build a PC for the first time, and I would be grateful for any input that could be provided.  It will be what I do most of my gaming on.  The total cost is about what I am willing to spend, though I could add a little to it if deemed necessary.

Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144277

DVD Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135305

Graphics Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699

Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151108

Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693

Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900

Hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147192

I believe that is everything.  Thanks again

What rez are you gaming at?

If all your doing is gaming you could put less into the CPU, and put a little more into the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I reuse my old 550VX PSU from my last build if I want to get the Haswell i5 or i7 with a 7970? I've been out of the game too long, so I don't know what's what anymore. I'm also trying to save some money in the new build. Here's a link to the PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004
550W is definitely okay, as long as you're not overclocking. I have a 500W power supply with a Core i5 4570 and a GTX 770, and it's nowhere close to being a problem.

And to Ryukahn, definitely get a cheaper processor. Unless you're building a supercomputer, the Core i5 is very powerful, and can run any game maxed out when paired with a strong graphics card. Here's a link to a $200 deal for the Core i5 4670k:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/101676/tigerdirect-intel-core-i5-4670k-3.4ghz-quad-core-lga-1150-desktop-processor

And I highly recommend getting the GTX 760 for your graphics card for $250, it's nVidia's best value right now, especially for gaming at 1080p.

I also went with a 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD for $150, and it's blazing fast, I don't believe there is much noticeable difference in everyday use between it and the Pro version, although the benchmarks are nice. I was close to going with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive but ended up doing this, and don't regret it one bit. This one comes down to personal preference though.

Thanks for the replies about my build.  I am a little shocked at the recommendations to get an i5 instead of an i7, though it does save me ~$100.

As for the SSD, I don't think I could squeeze all of the files I have to fit into a 250GB SSD, which is why I went with the smaller one along with the 1TB HDD.  I would get an even smaller SSD since it would mainly be just for the OS, but the price was so close I figured I could toss a game or two on the SSD as well for just a few $$ more.

I'm going to upgrade my monitor in a few days and have it narrowed down to two.  I'm going to hook up my Xbox One and my PS4 to this monitor in all likelihood, and obviously play lots of high-end pc games on it as well.  Anyone have any thoughts on these two, I'm leaning towards the BenQ a little over the Asus but I haven't made up my mind entirely yet.

Asus - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082913&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082913-_-EMC-082913-Index-_-LCDMonitors-_-24236313-L012B

BenQ - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-014-270&SortField=0&SummaryType=2&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=5&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

Thanks for the replies about my build. I am a little shocked at the recommendations to get an i5 instead of an i7, though it does save me ~$100.

As for the SSD, I don't think I could squeeze all of the files I have to fit into a 250GB SSD, which is why I went with the smaller one along with the 1TB HDD. I would get an even smaller SSD since it would mainly be just for the OS, but the price was so close I figured I could toss a game or two on the SSD as well for just a few $$ more.
Yeah, definitely depends on what you're doing. I stream tv shows/movies with Netflix, and listen to all my music with Spotify, so I don't need as much space as others. My point is mainly that you don't necessarily need to get a super high end SSD, when a much cheaper one will serve your needs. Read speeds on low end SSDs are very good for the most part, it's the write speeds where the performance gap is. So if you're going to be playing games, you might be better off buying a larger capacity drive for the same price, so you can enjoy shorter load times and such with more games.

I just looked at some of your other parts like power supply and RAM, and you're going slightly overboard with those parts for this build as well.

logicalincrements.com suggests sticking with 8GB of memory for anything short of dual 7970 GE/GTX 770. And if you're not planning on overclocking, a 500-550W power supply is more than enough, and there are plenty of good ones for $30-50.

You can easily build a powerful, balanced gaming PC for $850, that easily maxes out every game (except for maybe Crysis 3) at 1080p. $750 if you spend a week checking slickdeals.net for components, and do rebates.

This is an example of how I dished out money on each part a month or two ago, mostly from newegg (no tax) with a couple things from microcenter. AR is after rebate.

Case: $20 AR (Corsair 200R, not flashy, but looks nice)
CPU: $160 (Core i5 4570 at microcenter, plus tax, so $175)
GPU: $400 (had $330 in gift cards for Dell.com, so splurged on a GTX 770)
PSU: $20 AR (500W 80 Plus Bronze CoolerMaster)
RAM: $40 (2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport)
SSD: $150 (250GB Samsung 840)
DVD Drive: $15 (MC mistakenly gave me a LG Bluray writer instead, still haven't used it for anything besides installing OS)
Motherboard: $85 (ASRock Pro3, has been fantastic)

So, replace the 770 with a 760, and I think it's a good $750 build (assuming you don't need to buy a new OS, luckily I didn't have to). No overclocking with the cheaper processor, motherboard, and power supply, but it's plenty powerful, and saves $100-150.

I haven't too much....should I be? Do you have any specific models in mind?

Star X I believe it's called is made by Samsung. Monoprice has one. I'll have to search and see if I can find the other names.

Thanks StickyWaffles for the feedback. And thanks for posting your rig components. I'm debating between the 4570 and the 4670k, but does microcenter bundle the 4570 too? Otherwise, the 4670k comes out cheaper I think.

Now I have to look for a short length video card to fit my case.

Thanks StickyWaffles for the feedback. And thanks for posting your rig components. I'm debating between the 4570 and the 4670k, but does microcenter bundle the 4570 too? Otherwise, the 4670k comes out cheaper I think.

Now I have to look for a short length video card to fit my case.
They do not , although I heard that some people have been able to order both processors with a motherboard online for store pickup, and then just buy the 4570 with the discounted motherboard, but YMMV.

Just to let others know that are new, the 4570 is $160, and the 4670k is $200 (but has that $40 off a motherboard promo, making it essentially the same price). If you can find a separate motherboard deal on newegg.com, you'll come out way ahead by just buying the cheapest i5, but the motherboard I got for $85 is currently $115, and there doesn't seem to be any great deals on basic Z87 ATX motherboards with the 1150 socket right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600315497%20600438202%20600009016&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

So if you can't find another deal on a motherboard (they do seem to go on sale the least of any component), then the 4670k with $40 off a motherboard is great. If you're not planning on overclocking, though, there definitely isn't $40 worth of difference between the two, so you'd probably be better off waiting for a separate motherboard deal to pair with the $160 i5 4570.

EDIT- Scratch that, microcenter has the ASRock Pro 3 for $50 after rebate when bundled with the 4670k. That gets my recommendation 100%. $250 + tax for that setup is the best deal I've seen.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414946/Z87_PRO3_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Need some ideas on cooling my machine. Basically 99.9% of games I have no problem with heating, except for TERA online. TERA just makes my processor run hotter than I would like due to poor coding decisions.

Anyway way I am running my PC now is with 2 case fans and the stock intel heatsink. I am not looking to do anything crazy here, just be able to play TERA without my CPU going crazy.

My budget would be about $30-40 for the whole ordeal. Maybe more if there is a good solution that doesn't require me to rip my whole case apart or unscrew the mobo. I am looking for a solution like easy heatsink replacement or something easy I can do in like 20-30 mins.

The reason i have the 850W power supply is because several of the reviews on newegg mention needing a high power supply for the case.

As for why I have high specs on the other stuff, I was just trying to ensure the parts made for a definitive upgrade over what I am using now.  My current PC is a store bought one that I think I got at the end of 2010, but I am not positive, so I guess it may not take much to ensure a definitive upgrade.

Here are the specs for it that I could find

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz

8GB Memory

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

4843 MB Total available graphics memory

1.35T HD

Also, I am pretty sure that I checked to make sure that everything was compatible with the case.  Is there any part that I may have overlooked that isn't?

The reason i have the 850W power supply is because several of the reviews on newegg mention needing a high power supply for the case.

As for why I have high specs on the other stuff, I was just trying to ensure the parts made for a definitive upgrade over what I am using now. My current PC is a store bought one that I think I got at the end of 2010, but I am not positive, so I guess it may not take much to ensure a definitive upgrade.

Here are the specs for it that I could find

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz

8GB Memory

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

4843 MB Total available graphics memory

1.35T HD

Also, I am pretty sure that I checked to make sure that everything was compatible with the case. Is there any part that I may have overlooked that isn't?
Nothing will ever be incompatible with a case. It's a piece a metal with a front USB panel. You have an ATX case so size is not an issue. This is more than 2x the power you will need with those parts.

Nothing will ever be incompatible with a case. It's a piece a metal with a front USB panel. You have an ATX case so size is not an issue. This is more than 2x the power you will need with those parts.
I worded it wrong, as I meant size wise not actual incompatibility. That power supply would end up saving me around $20 after rebates and promo codes, though I do hate dealing with Newegg rebates so thats a bonus.

I worded it wrong, as I meant size wise not actual incompatibility. That power supply would end up saving me around $20 after rebates and promo codes, though I do hate dealing with Newegg rebates so thats a bonus.
Ah sorry then. But it is compatible. Are you set on getting the 660? The 7950 would be a much better option at that price.

Someone earlier had mentioned bumping up to a 760, so I was looking at this one. It is in a combo deal with the motherboard I am looking at, though it isn't a very large discount.
Are you planning on overclocking? 7950s see more of a performance increase from overclocking than 760s and are cheaper aswell. Stock, they are on the same footing.

After doing some research, it doesn't look like I'll be able to fit a good gaming video card in my case.  I have an Apevia XMaster like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231

My current card is an MSI 8800GT, which is 9" L x ~4" H.  I don't think I can fit anything larger than that.  So now, I need to find a case big enough to fit the card I want, but small enough to fit in a TV stand.  I'm almost at the point of just buying an X51, but I'd rather save some money and build it myself if I can.

Edit: looks like the biggest I can fit would be a 7850.

After doing some research, it doesn't look like I'll be able to fit a good gaming video card in my case. I have an Apevia XMaster like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231

My current card is an MSI 8800GT, which is 9" L x ~4" H. I don't think I can fit anything larger than that. So now, I need to find a case big enough to fit the card I want, but small enough to fit in a TV stand. I'm almost at the point of just buying an X51, but I'd rather save some money and build it myself if I can.

Edit: looks like the biggest I can fit would be a 7850.
That mother board you linked to earlier would get the job done just fine if you still end up going that route. An option besides X51 is ibuypower's Revolt system. It's much more powerful than a similarly priced X51 on dell's site, and has other perks like free games. You would have to pay shipping, but no tax outside of California, which more than makes up for it.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Labor_Day_Revolt_Special

The sale going on right now brings prices down so that it's cheaper than Alienware (although I'm sure there are X51 deals out there), $1,000 for a very nice setup. Of course, you're still paying a premium for the small size factor and nice case.

Thanks for the link!  I also ended up looking at the Cyberpower Lan III Xtreme.  It looks like both will do the job and will be a better value to the X51, though that Revolt case does look pretty nice.  I'm going to have to do some research tonight and see what the costs will be.  

Are you planning on overclocking? 7950s see more of a performance increase from overclocking than 760s and are cheaper aswell. Stock, they are on the same footing.
The 760 generally gets higher performance than the 7950, and usually isn't much more expensive, but there are some good sales that make me agree with you, that the 7950 is a better value. This msi card is $180 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127737

Ultimately everything comes down to preference, but getting things like a 850W makes your build a little imbalanced, so money doesn't need to go there, when it provides you no benefit. Same reason why I, and many others recommend a core i5 instead of a core i7. Looking at your computer from 2010, a core i5 Haswell, with a 7950 for $180 (or 760 for $250), with a $30 500-600W power supply, that case (or a cheaper one for $30-50), and a SSD from this article (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-2.html) is a giant upgrade, but everything comes down to preference, so get what makes you happy!

edit:  So I was all ready to buy this and then I found out Coolermaster has just released the Elite 130, a mini ITX case capable of fitting a full size PSU and dual slot, full size graphics cards all in a 9.4 x 8.1 x 14.9 package.  I'm back to researching components so just ignore below.  I'm never going to get a new PC :lol:

So here's what I have ready to order from ibuypower.  I realized the bitfenix lan box is too tall for my ent. center but the revolt will work great.  Anything I should change out before I hit the submit button?  Total is $1108 + $75 shipping.

1 x Case ( iBUYPOWER Revolt Mini Tower Gaming Case )
1 x Case Lighting ( Revolt Advanced Lighting )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5-4570 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/6MB L3 Cache) )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid CPU Cooling System - Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 2GB - Single Card )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Download] - GRID2 - FREE with Intel 4th Gen Processor )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Coupon] - Batman: Arkham Origins - Free w/ purchase of GeForce GTX 660 or above )
1 x Motherboard ( ASRock B85M-ITX )
1 x Power Supply ( 500 Watt - FSP 1U 80 Plus Gold Certificated Power Supply )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 256 GB ADATA SX900 SSD - Single Drive )
0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )
1 x Optical Drive ( Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Slot Load Drive )
1 x Internal Wireless Network Adapter ( FREE Internal Bluetooth and Wireless Adaptor [Revolt-B85] )
1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )
0 x Monitor ( None )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
0 x Speaker System ( None )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
1 x Warranty ( 3 Year Standard Warranty Service )
1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Never posted in the PC forum before but I need some PC gamer opinions. I am building or buying a PC in the near future, I haven't owned a gaming PC in about 7 years. Basically my GPU went bad back then and the Xbox 360 came out so I went the console route. In the last Steam Summer Sale I went crazy and now I have games I missed out on and need to play them. Plus I got actual broadband in my home so theres that.

My question comes down to timing, more than anything. We all know the new gaming consoles are coming out in the next few months or so. So, is it better to wait until after the consoles launch to start looking at PC hardware/builds or is now a good of time as any. Obviously if I were building a PC a couple years ago I would of just dived in for the best best performance/price right now.

When I do commit, my budget won't really be a concern but I am not one to buy the best just because its new. I always look for the sweet spot of price and performance when it comes to components. So I won't be getting into massive liquid cooling set-ups and dual or quad SLI or crossfire off the bat. But I will be very mindful of longevity and upgradability in the future.

What do you guys think? Considering I can't be the only one out there with the same question. Maybe it been talked about to death but the "Next generation" is just around the corner and I can't decide.

That seems really giving expensive to me for not that much stuff.
It is, but in terms of prebuilt SFF PCs, it's a better option than the X51.

And to Shifty, the new AMD graphics cards are all but confirmed to be releasing in mid October, so I would wait another month to see what kind of prices those launch at. They should be much better for gaming at high resolutions (1440p or higher), and probably more future proof, since they have more VRAM than nVidia's 2GB $200-400 cards.

I can't imagine the launch of the new consoles affecting PC components in any way, except for maybe VRAM on graphics cards, since the new consoles apparently have 4 or 5 GBs.

Never posted in the PC forum before but I need some PC gamer opinions. I am building or buying a PC in the near future, I haven't owned a gaming PC in about 7 years. Basically my GPU went bad back then and the Xbox 360 came out so I went the console route. In the last Steam Summer Sale I went crazy and now I have games I missed out on and need to play them. Plus I got actual broadband in my home so theres that.

My question comes down to timing, more than anything. We all know the new gaming consoles are coming out in the next few months or so. So, is it better to wait until after the consoles launch to start looking at PC hardware/builds or is now a good of time as any. Obviously if I were building a PC a couple years ago I would of just dived in for the best best performance/price right now.

When I do commit, my budget won't really be a concern but I am not one to buy the best just because its new. I always look for the sweet spot of price and performance when it comes to components. So I won't be getting into massive liquid cooling set-ups and dual or quad SLI or crossfire off the bat. But I will be very mindful of longevity and upgradability in the future.

What do you guys think? Considering I can't be the only one out there with the same question. Maybe it been talked about to death but the "Next generation" is just around the corner and I can't decide.

If you like consoles then wait. I am about to sell my current gaming rig, and I will be waiting a good year before I build another one.

I like consoles better just because people I know play more on them, and I have a better MP experience for games. MP seems to be a huge selling point come this next gen, and that's what I enjoy most.

With a budget of $1000 you can build a good rig, but $1000 now, and $1000 a year from now could be very different.

Yeah it is still expensive. I wanted an HTPC style case to fit my media center, see below. What I'm going to do instead is get a shallow mid tower case and remove the shelf and put the Ps3 in a vertical position next to it. These are the cases I'm looking at now since they are both around 16" deep and less than 20" high. The rose will has better reviews but I like the plain look of the antec.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147185

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

badu5yja.jpg

If you like consoles then wait. I am about to sell my current gaming rig, and I will be waiting a good year before I build another one.

I like consoles better just because people I know play more on them, and I have a better MP experience for games. MP seems to be a huge selling point come this next gen, and that's what I enjoy most.

With a budget of $1000 you can build a good rig, but $1000 now, and $1000 a year from now could be very different.
Well, I will get either the Xbox One or PS4 on launch. Plus I still want to play some PS3 exlcusives like The Last of Us, so I need to pick up a PS3 sometime. I am not abandoning consoles, just not sure If I should hold off a bit more for a PC. Thanks for the reply.

Well, I will get either the Xbox One or PS4 on launch. Plus I still want to play some PS3 exlcusives like The Last of Us, so I need to pick up a PS3 sometime. I am not abandoning consoles, just not sure If I should hold off a bit more for a PC. Thanks for the reply.
I also skipped getting a PS3 but just like you, there are several exclusives I want to play (including The Last of Us). I will be getting a PS4 at some point and plan on holding off on the PS3 titles because of the future implementation of Gaikai and backwards compatibility. I am under the assumption that the BC will only work on digital downloads, so by the time I get a PS4 most of the titles I want will be cheap(ish) digital copies.

bread's done
Back