The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Ram is honestly not that important for PC gaming right now(Most PC games don't require more than 4GB of RAM and more Ram is better than faster RAM most of the time). You would most likely have to buy another MOBO to use DDR 4 anyways and that is not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is looking for a low cost computer build here is a cheap one I found: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Ry3xNG

• CPU: Pentium G3258 3.2GHz ($65.99@ SuperBiiz)
  • MOBO: MSI H81M-P33 Micro Atx Motherboard ($44.89 @ SuperBiiz)                            
  • Memory: Team Elite 8 GB(2x4GB) DDR3 ($64.98  @ Newegg)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1tb  ($48.89  @ OutletPC)
  • Video Card: Radeon R9 270 2GB Windforce Video Card ($147.98@ Newegg)
  • Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MircoATX ($21.99 @ Newegg)
  • Power Supply: EVGA 430 W ($ 27.99 @ Micro Center)

• Total $422.71

Just closed up the case on my "new" computer!

New Parts = $640 at Microcenter after tax:

• i5-4690K
  • ASUS z97-AR
  • 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3@1600
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
  • Win 8.1
Old Parts:

• GTX 460 1gb
  • 2TB Seagate 7200rpm HD
  • 1TB WD 5600rpm HD
  • 650w Antec PS
  • POS full tower case scavenged from local parts guy ($15)
Will be upgrading that video card in a couple months, as I was already way over budget from the Microcenter splurgery.  Could have saved a few bucks on the memory by ordering from elsewhere online, but I wasn't thinking clearly in the store.  Had major concerns about the case when I started, but after some drilling, everything fit in nicely.  Found a couple of nice low vibration fans on clearance at Staples for $12 each (check it out if you have one in your area, apparently they are not going to stock interior bits & pieces anymore).  Getting solid airflow and low temps so far, but I haven't pushed the processor yet.

Fun building a computer from the ground up again.  Previous 3 computers were prebuilts with just some average GPU and PSU upgrades.  Last computer I completely assembled by myself was a 25MHz 386.  :oldman:

Just closed up the case on my "new" computer!

New Parts = $640 at Microcenter after tax:

• i5-4690K
  • ASUS z97-AR
  • 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3@1600
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
  • Win 8.1
Old Parts:

• GTX 460 1gb
  • 2TB Seagate 7200rpm HD
  • 1TB WD 5600rpm HD
  • 650w Antec PS
  • POS full tower case scavenged from local parts guy ($15)
Will be upgrading that video card in a couple months, as I was already way over budget from the Microcenter splurgery. Could have saved a few bucks on the memory by ordering from elsewhere online, but I wasn't thinking clearly in the store. Had major concerns about the case when I started, but after some drilling, everything fit in nicely. Found a couple of nice low vibration fans on clearance at Staples for $12 each (check it out if you have one in your area, apparently they are not going to stock interior bits & pieces anymore). Getting solid airflow and low temps so far, but I haven't pushed the processor yet.

Fun building a computer from the ground up again. Previous 3 computers were prebuilts with just some average GPU and PSU upgrades. Last computer I completely assembled by myself was a 25MHz 386. :oldman:
you could of save alot more money by getting some of the new parts from newegg, and a brand new pc case from newegg from $30-$40 with atleast two preinstalled fans

Being that I haven't bought or build a PC in near 6 years sense I last worked on the current one I am using I feel a bit out of touch with the tech and process now.  

Being that I am not sure if I want to build a new rig or just buy a prebuilt one and change a few things, namely the PSU and maybe the GPU.  What is the better place for that?

Being that I haven't bought or build a PC in near 6 years sense I last worked on the current one I am using I feel a bit out of touch with the tech and process now.

Being that I am not sure if I want to build a new rig or just buy a prebuilt one and change a few things, namely the PSU and maybe the GPU. What is the better place for that?
Past experience dictates that, while it should be better value to build your own, sometimes you can't beat an offer on a pre-built. That said, where's the fun in that? Build!

Intel is in the middle of another big shake-up and their next big evolution - Skylake - is due later in the year. If you're not in a hurry, that could be worth keeping an eye on. We're coming towards the end of the current set of chipsets (only Broadwell left, which won't be a big release by the looks of things) so it might be worth waiting a while.

That said, you can have lots of fun for not a lot of cash by picking up a cheap motherboard and an Anniversary Pentium (the G3258 - it's overclocklable and only about $60).

I suppose the question is, what's your budget, timescale, and goal?

I suppose the question is, what's your budget, timescale, and goal?
Timescale is fluid, just when I can either find one I like for the price or get around to figuring out the parts I want. Budget would be about $1000 give or take. Goal is to have a better rig then I have now.

Current rig is a stock HP Pavilion Elite I bought some 6 years ago, with a new gpu, psu, and additional HDD.

CPU: Phenom II x6 2.8 ghz

Memory: 8 gb 1333 mhz

GPU:Nvidia GTX Geforce 670 FTW 4GB

HDD: 1.5 and 1 TB HDD's both at 7200rpm

PSU: Bronze thermaletake 500

Being that the computer is about 6 years old from the oldest parts, and the newer ones are getting to be about 4 and 5 years old I wanted one that would be an updated version of this one. Planning on switching to intel and staying with Nvidia as far as CPU and GPU go. Everything else can be what ever is best for the rig.

Main reason for the update is the speed of the computer itself, while still go for everyday use as well as most games, is starting to lag a little with some of my newer games as well as when some older games are put in the highest settings.

Timescale is fluid, just when I can either find one I like for the price or get around to figuring out the parts I want. Budget would be about $1000 give or take. Goal is to have a better rig then I have now.

Current rig is a stock HP Pavilion Elite I bought some 6 years ago, with a new gpu, psu, and additional HDD.

CPU: Phenom II x6 2.8 ghz

Memory: 8 gb 1333 mhz

GPU:Nvidia GTX Geforce 670 FTW 4GB

HDD: 1.5 and 1 TB HDD's both at 7200rpm

PSU: Bronze thermaletake 500

Being that the computer is about 6 years old from the oldest parts, and the newer ones are getting to be about 4 and 5 years old I wanted one that would be an updated version of this one. Planning on switching to intel and staying with Nvidia as far as CPU and GPU go. Everything else can be what ever is best for the rig.

Main reason for the update is the speed of the computer itself, while still go for everyday use as well as most games, is starting to lag a little with some of my newer games as well as when some older games are put in the highest settings.
you can keep the hdd, and memory, but i would def upgrade to 1600 mhz memory, which helps out with multitasking, and get a new motherboard. then replace the psu,.thermaletake is not the best. if you are really serious in building your own pc, you should check out newegg.com daily/weekly. they are having a lot of sales on pc parts/components ranging from everything you might need.

I've had this HP-style case since 2009, and it's about time I upgraded my computer. It runs a AMD Phenom 9550 X4 with 6GB Ram, a GT 430, 400W power supply.

346666-hp-pavilion-p7-1225.jpg

I could go on Craigslist and buy an i5 Desktop for about $300, and spend $400 upgrading it by getting a few more hard drives and a new graphics card. But I'm leaning on keeping the unit I have at hand. What should I do?

This unit works pretty great regardless, but am getting tired of the CPU fan turning on every 30 minutes.

If I do upgrade the innards of my computer, what should I keep and what should I take out? I would like to use Intel this time, and would want a graphics card that runs with my 400W and can play something like... Arkham Origins or something. Keep in mind I would like to spend at most $350 before buying new hard drives.

And one more thing, what is the part I should buy for installing four hard drives in one bay/cage that snaps into the bottom side of the case?

I've had this HP-style case since 2009, and it's about time I upgraded my computer. It runs a AMD Phenom 9550 X4 with 6GB Ram, a GT 430, 400W power supply.

I could go on Craigslist and buy an i5 Desktop for about $300, and spend $400 upgrading it by getting a few more hard drives and a new graphics card. But I'm leaning on keeping the unit I have at hand. What should I do?

This unit works pretty great regardless, but am getting tired of the CPU fan turning on every 30 minutes.

If I do upgrade the innards of my computer, what should I keep and what should I take out? I would like to use Intel this time, and would want a graphics card that runs with my 400W and can play something like... Arkham Origins or something. Keep in mind I would like to spend at most $350 before buying new hard drives.

And one more thing, what is the part I should buy for installing four hard drives in one bay/cage that snaps into the bottom side of the case?
if you decide to keep your current pc,you would def need to purchase a quality power supply, since most pre-built pc from hp come with cheap psu. especially if you are planning to upgarde. if i was you, i would just get a new pc case. it is like $40-$50 for one on newegg. i would think the ram would be salvageble. it all depend on which setting you want to play arkham origins on ? ultra-high, or medium-low? another problem is your cpu is old, and can potentially bottleneck you with newer gpu cards. especially given your budget.

you are better off getting an i5 and spending that money in upgrading it, with guality power supply and graphics card.

why do you need so much hard drives, when you can just reuse the hard drives you have.

regarding hard drive bays, i think you mean something like these

Sans Digital HDDRACK5 5-Bay IDE/SATA Hard Drive Organizing Rack

Rosewill 3 x 5.25-Inch to 4 x 3.5-Inch Hot-swap SATAIII/SAS Hard Disk Drive Cage - Black (RSV-SATA-Cage-34)

here is a decent setup for a  new cheap pc build

$339 upfront, after rebate $279.99 from tiger direct

Intel Pentium G3258 Barebones w/2TB HDD from SD, i would  change psu, and get a graphics card

- Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Unlocked Processor
- Asus B85M-G R2.0 Motherboard; HDMI, USB 3.0
- 2 x 4GB DDR3 1866 Crucial Ballistix Sport XT Memory
- 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA HDD
- Internal DVD-ROM w/Converter
- Thermaltake 500W Power Supply
- Thermaltake V2 S Case

Why get the Pentium over an i series? And what's wrong with my Corsair 400W as opposed to something like a 600W?

This is the system I'm considering if I want somebody's old computer. It costs $272 local:

CPU: intel i5 2500k quad core 3.3ghz processor
CPU cooler: arctic cooling alpine 7 pro
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-h77-wifi
Memory: kingston 8gb ddr3
Hard drive: 500gb
Power supply: 480w
Case: cougar tool-less
Or why not something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-980-DT-Quad-Core-i7-870-2-93GHz-8GB-500GB-Windows-7-Pro-1-Yr-Wty-/400888794888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d56d58f08 and do your recommendations of upgrading?

Why get the Pentium over an i series? And what's wrong with my Corsair 400W as opposed to something like a 600W?

This is the system I'm considering if I want somebody's old computer. It costs $272 local:

Or why not something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-980-DT-Quad-Core-i7-870-2-93GHz-8GB-500GB-Windows-7-Pro-1-Yr-Wty-/400888794888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d56d58f08 and do your recommendations of upgrading?
because depending on your budget, and the type of graphics card, plus the number of hdd plugged in. you are going to need atleast 500w. it also depends on your the model of your corsair psu. the psu is the actually the most important item, when it comes to building your own computer. unless you want to risk your computer going up in fireworks , or crashing.

here is a read regarding the tier of psu from top to bottom

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

the pentium is a budget built, especially given your budget. it fits decently with your needs.

i personally would not buy someone else's computer, but if you really that strapped for cash. i would get the i5 that ocst $272, if you want an upgrade that badly. if you really want to play arkham origins. i would just buy a $200 ps3 or xbox 360 to play it.

that pre-built windows 7 pro might not have alot of options for future upgradeability, as oppose to the bundle i linked. which leaves room for certain upgrades to the cpu, to an i5 or i7

What's this stuff about the Pentium G3258 Bottlenecking the graphics card like say a GTX 960 or if I'm feeling quite cheap, a GTX 750 Ti?

The bundle you mentioned does make sense regardless though I don't see the fan for the processor.

What's this stuff about the Pentium G3258 Bottlenecking the graphics card like say a GTX 960 or if I'm feeling quite cheap, a GTX 750 Ti?
The bundle you mentioned does make sense regardless though I don't see the fan for the processor.
I'm running at G3258 at 4.3Ghz with and R9 280 at present and I'm experiencing no bottlenecks at all. There's a long thread about it on overclock.net along with some YouTube vids (search for TopicClocker, he's paired it with a 970) and, in short, the Pentium is doing a great job. New releases are taxing it but even then workarounds are available.

Basically it's great for now. For a couple of years, not so much. But by that point you could save up and swap in an i5.

At budget level it's nigh-on impossible to beat on bang-for-buck metrics.

Thanks. Looks like I'm still going to spend an extra $300-400 to upgrade if I choose to buy it. But I'm irked about having to buy the freakin' PSU even if I'm going to throw it away.

I did a little more research, and using a combination of eBay and Newegg (which I'm not that excited about considering they charge sales tax in my state) I got something like this:
Intel G3258 Haswell Unlocked 69
ASUS B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX Motherboard 65
Hitachi Ultrastar 750GB 7200RPM 30
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 60
Samsung SATA DVD Drive 15
APEX PC-389-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 35
total 274

Upgrades
Hitachi Ultrastar 2TB SATA 7200rpm 57
Zotac 2GB PCI express GTX 750 ti 140
Sata Cables 10
Arctic cooler paste 10

?
But would need more help, what PSU for this setup. Is there a good enough graphics card that uses less power? What fan?
Oh what a headache, and that's why I like console gaming more.

I actually have that exact graphics card and it's very power efficient. It's fine for most games on high settins at 1080p. It's not as good in bang-for-your-buck terms as the R9 270 (which I believe is the same price bracket), but then it doesn't need anywhere near as much power as a Radeon.

As for deals, I'll leave that to people who actually live Stateside :)

You're right about the R9 270. I see it's $110 on eBay. But reliability is spotty according to newegg.
the cheap gtx 750 ti is power efficient since i believe its runs off your mother for power consumption. just so you know amd graphics card are more power hungry in terms of power consumption, and thus tend to run hotter, so you make sure you have proper air flow , and fans to keep the case cool/ lower temperature

Thanks. Looks like I'm still going to spend an extra $300-400 to upgrade if I choose to buy it. But I'm irked about having to buy the freakin' PSU even if I'm going to throw it away.

I did a little more research, and using a combination of eBay and Newegg (which I'm not that excited about considering they charge sales tax in my state) I got something like this:
But would need more help, what PSU for this setup. Is there a good enough graphics card that uses less power? What fan?
Oh what a headache, and that's why I like console gaming more.

i already provided you to a list here with possible reliable power supply list: you would need probably 500-550 watt psu with that build, should you upgrade to a graphics card better than 750 ti, and your cpu to an i5. you might need to upgrade your psu again. i would advice getting an western digital, instead of hitachi for internal for hard drive for better reliablity. like this one on sale at newegg for $54.99 with promo code WD BLACK SERIES WD7500BPKX 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive

you would of also been better served getting 2X 4gb ram for a total of =8gb, instead of just a single 8gb ram, because your motherboard uses dual channel, which can better ultilize that potential. something like this at newegg for $54.99 with promo code right now

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

here is the site for list of psu guide: i don't know your budget for psu, so you have to the work. i personally would not cheap out on psu of all parts.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

the cheap gtx 750 ti is power efficient since i believe its runs off your mother for power consumption. just so you know amd graphics card are more power hungry in terms of power consumption, and thus tend to run hotter, so you make sure you have proper air flow , and fans to keep the case cool/ lower temperature
Quick correction: the 750 Ti needs a 6-pin connection to run. That's all. It's solely powered by the motherboard.

just bumping because u mention interested in arkham origins, it is on sale at bundlestars for $4.99 currently, plus season pass. along with other arkham games like asylum and city. link below

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/batman-arkham-origins/

http://www.bundlestars.com/store/

Is there a reason I should be getting the Pentium 3258 over an i5 or i3 if I want to game, but not that hard? I know I can save $100 bucks by not buying the higher end processor? How much is it better than a 2008 quad core processor?

Is there a reason I should be getting the Pentium 3258 over an i5 or i3 if I want to game, but not that hard? I know I can save $100 bucks by not buying the higher end processor? How much is it better than a 2008 quad core processor?
depends on what games you want to play, and what fps do you want to get, and also whether you are going to overclock. if you plan to play only mobas, and minecraft . it is more than enough. if you want to play games like battlefield 4 at atleast 60fps. you are going to need an i5, with atleast mid range-high end graphics card,

I'm gonna wait a little longer, I have no plans on overclocking, and would like to my computers to last pretty long.
if you are hoping to build a future proof computer. it is just not possible. because technology is always getting better. i5 would probably be the best then for gaming, so you only have to replace the gpu/graphics card every 3-5 yrs. since i am assuming you are using your computer primarily for gaming.

here is a good deal for motherboard for intel cpu builds

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Intel Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard

http://www.frys.com/product/7698137?utm_campaign=frys_product&utm_source=slickdeals $29.00 after rebate

I don't live near a Frys. Well I talked with a friend who is more knowledgable than I am about this, and I was told to forgo the Pentium and go for the i series considering what I do on my computer on a regular basis. I do live near a Microcenter and so far I can only get these parts:

MSI H61M-P31/W8 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard $50
Intel Core i3-4160 3.6 GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor $100
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Compute -$38
Kingwin 120 x 120mm Long Life Bearing Case Fan - $4
Corsair Corsair CX Series CX600M 600 Watt ATX Modu $46
Samsung SH-224DB24x SATA Internal DVD Burner OEM - SH-224DB/BEBE $15
Cooler Master Hyper T2 Compact CPU Cooler with Dual Looped Direct Contact Heatpipes $20
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound 3.5g $9

Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TE500BW-$210

total here: $330

I could swap the processor with:

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor -$160

I would get the 8GB ram there but they only sell Crucial Ballistix Sport, when G. Skill is more recommended, and that would be $58 regardless. And the graphics card would be $140ish Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

What am I missing from this build? Is there a case of cheaper price where it doesn't come with a PSU? Lke this:

DIYPC DIY-BJ05BK Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I do plan on installing two more hard drives, 2TB each at $110 total, but am not in a huge rush.

I'd go with the i5 off the bat. Better performance/future proofing for minimal additional up front cost. Also, I'd pick a better PSU. The low end Corsairs have become very low end. You'd be better off with something like a Rosewill Capstone that is in a close enough price point.

Those two aren't compatible. You need H81 and upwards for an LGA 1150 processor. If you're going budget-oriented and aren't overclocking, look for an H81 or B85 board. You might even find an H87 or H97 board cheap somewhere.

Edit: also, scratch the CPU cooler and thermal paste from your list. You're not overclocking so you don't need the former, and the latter comes pre-applied on any stock Intel CPU fan (included when you buy the processor).

Have you tried mocking up a build on www.pcpartpicker.com ?

I tried, but I went way overboard. At least Shipwreck's having a much harder time than me.

What I got from PCpartpicker:

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $173.99
MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $43.99
G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $66.99
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card $149.99
Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case $37.99
Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $12.99

Total: $620 - $55 rebates + Discounts = 565
Anything more? I'm not worried about speakers, (rather use stereo or headphones), keyboards, or mice, or monitors. Those are something else.

I think I can get the i5 at Microcenter for $160, along with the case.

I tried, but I went way overboard. At least Shipwreck's having a much harder time than me.

Anything more? I'm not worried about speakers, (rather use stereo or headphones), keyboards, or mice, or monitors. Those are something else.

i am a little confused. but did you buy all the parts you just listed? or are you planning to buy them. regarding ram from g.skills. check newegg. they have it for $54.99-$56.99 for 2X 4 gb ddr 1600 rams

here is the link below, promotion end 4/2/2015

gskills ares 2X 4gb ddr3 1600 rams for $54.99 right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546&cm_re=G.SKILL_Ares_Series_8GB_%282_x_4GB%29_240-Pin_DDR3_SDRAM_DDR3_1600_%28PC3_12800%29_Desktop_Memory_Model_F3-1600C9D-8GAB-_-20-231-546-_-Product

I don't live near a Frys. Well I talked with a friend who is more knowledgable than I am about this, and I was told to forgo the Pentium and go for the i series considering what I do on my computer on a regular basis. I do live near a Microcenter and so far I can only get these parts:

Cooler Master Hyper T2 Compact CPU Cooler with Dual Looped Direct Contact Heatpipes $20

Samsung 840 EVO Series 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TE500BW-$210

I would get the 8GB ram there but they only sell Crucial Ballistix Sport, when G. Skill is more recommended, and that would be $58 regardless. And the graphics card would be $140ish Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

What am I missing from this build? Is there a case of cheaper price where it doesn't come with a PSU? Lke this:

I do plan on installing two more hard drives, 2TB each at $110 total, but am not in a huge rush.
do not get the 840 evo model ssd, they have issues. if you are going to get samsung ssd, get only the 850 pro or 850 evo

samsung evo 850 ssd $94.99 + shipping at neweggg, promo code EMCAPNW22, ends tonight

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EXPRESS032815&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS032815&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS032815-_-EMC-032815-Index-_-SSD-_-20147372-L01A

regarding a computer case, i think this one from corsair for $49.99 after rebate should fit your needs

newegg

Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

but if you want to save more money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156318&ignorebbr=1 $$24.99 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853003&ignorebbr=1 $27.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133250&ignorebbr=1 $29.99 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517027&ignorebbr=1 $24.99 after rebate

gaming keyboard and mice, if you are a somewhat hardcore gamer, who cares about dpi and stuff

Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard with Backlighting $44.99 Logitech G502 Proteus Core $61.99

Logitech G402 $42.99

regarding monitor , this is a good one for $159.99, if you can find at your local bestbuy

[Monitor] LG Ultra Wide IPS LED monitor $159.99

or these decent

$119.99 with promo code acer 24 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16824009700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16824009513

asus 23 inch

$139.99, with $20 rebate

ASUS VX238H-W White 23" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor

$139.99 after rebate

ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor

Oh my next monitor is definitely going to be an ASUS, of that I am sure, considering they are affordable and has little lag. So generally my PCPartPicker is generally the right idea it seems. I'll have to ask a friend.

Oh my next monitor is definitely going to be an ASUS, of that I am sure, considering they are affordable and has little lag. So generally my PCPartPicker is generally the right idea it seems. I'll have to ask a friend.
it is generally advise to buy all your pc parts/components all at once, in case there are any issues, and the 30 day return/refund period. monitors, keyboard, mouse and speakers, you can buy them any time you want, since you can put them to use.

mypcpartpicker is probably the best, and most extensive web site for pc building/ guide.

This is what I'm going to get from Microcenter:

i5-4690 + Z97 PRO4 LGA 1150 ATX = $250
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) $60
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $110
Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case $36

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer- $15

Total: About $500 after tax

And I'll buy a 750Ti or 660 on eBay for about $140.

Do I need special fans or should I be okay after I buy few minor parts? Don't recommend an i7 or some crap. I picked the i5 over a $50 pentium and $100 i3.

This is what I'm going to get from Microcenter:

i5-4690 + Z97 PRO4 LGA 1150 ATX = $250
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) $60
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $110
Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case $36

Total: About $500 after tax

And I'll buy a 750Ti or 660 on eBay for about $140.

Do I need special fans or should I be okay with a few minor parts? Don't recommend an i7 or some crap. I picked the i5 over a $50 pentium and $100 i3.
is this the case you got Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z Black SECC / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Thermaltake VL80001W2Z

if so , you should get atleast 2 intake fans in the front, for more a postive air flow

As far as lag on a monitor goes this site may help with that and picking one. Or at least give you a better idea of what you want to look for in lowest input lag.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

hopefully I don't look like too much of an idiot, I don't know enough about computers to feel comfortable trying to put my own together, I'm just looking for something to play occasional pc games on, mostly wanting to play Starcraft 2, and a few others. Looking for something cheap to start out on (haven't gamed on PC in over 5 years), then maybe upgrade later down the line... 

I came across these on ebay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Quad-Core-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Computer-4-0-GHz-Fast-Custom-Built-System-NEW-/261828366306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf62fcfe2

that say they're custom built, just wondering if this is a good, budget conscious way to start out...

I basically want something that's more or less ready to go out the box, without spending a grand...

or if there's another route I should go, any opinions? 

hopefully I don't look like too much of an idiot, I don't know enough about computers to feel comfortable trying to put my own together, I'm just looking for something to play occasional pc games on, mostly wanting to play Starcraft 2, and a few others. Looking for something cheap to start out on (haven't gamed on PC in over 5 years), then maybe upgrade later down the line...

I came across these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Quad-Core-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Computer-4-0-GHz-Fast-Custom-Built-System-NEW-/261828366306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf62fcfe2

that say they're custom built, just wondering if this is a good, budget conscious way to start out...

I basically want something that's more or less ready to go out the box, without spending a grand...

or if there's another route I should go, any opinions?
honestly, my honest answer is that build is trash. if you are dead set on playing games like starcraft 2. intel cpu likes pentium, i3 are enough. itshould be computers you are looking for . ati hd 3000 graphics is trash now. you are better off building a computer yourself. but since you are not comfortable doing so.

but the main question is what is your budget $?

Still leaning on that build I suggested last week but with a few modifications after reading the new Microcenter circular:

i5-4690K + Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H LGA1150 mATX Intel Motherboard = $250
Crucial BX100 - $90

Total Here after tax: $453

I've decided to keep my HP Pavilion Metal Case because I'm not a fan of the top vents of the V3 since this desktop is going to be at my feet.  And I am wondering if I should upgrade my power supply when I already have the Corsair Power 400W that I got in 2010. I do want to get a 750Ti, and am wonder if I should upgrade. And I have to ask if I should get an I3 instead since I'm using the same case without overclocking or anything fancy.

Should I get a better CPU fan? And what case fan should I get should I get?

Still leaning on that build I suggested last week but with a few modifications after reading the new Microcenter circular:

Crucial BX100 - $90

I've decided to keep my HP Pavilion Metal Case because I'm not a fan of the top vents of the V3 since this desktop is going to be at my feet. And I am wondering if I should upgrade my power supply when I already have the Corsair Power 400W that I got in 2010. I do want to get a 750Ti, and am wonder if I should upgrade. And I have to ask if I should get an I3 instead since I'm using the same case without overclocking or anything fancy.

The "K" processors are designed for overclocking, and you would want to step up to a Z97 motherboard, get an aftermarket cpu cooler, extra case fans, and probably a better PSU. For budgetary reasons, it would probably make more sense to back off on the CPU a bit, which will allow you to skip the cooler and spend less on a motherboard. Plus, the money you save on a lesser CPU can fund that 750ti, which should have no problems with your current PSU.

edit: an easy place for giving you a simple idea of what price range/performance you can get out of your potential parts is Logical Increments.

Crucial BX100 - $90

I've decided to keep my HP Pavilion Metal Case because I'm not a fan of the top vents of the V3 since this desktop is going to be at my feet. And I am wondering if I should upgrade my power supply when I already have the Corsair Power 400W that I got in 2010. I do want to get a 750Ti, and am wonder if I should upgrade. And I have to ask if I should get an I3 instead since I'm using the same case without overclocking or anything fancy.

i would advise against crucial bx100, get mx100, or mx200

your hp pavillion might not provide enough ventilation, and air flow, and could cause overheating issues.

i would still get atleast a 500-550 w psu

seasonic X series 650 w psu at neweegg for $75 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=7773353&SID=54e247ef8a6c4e60a6c0f7bca895e118&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=17-151-088&cm_sp=

bread's done
Back