The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Well I finally got all the parts together from the Toms Hardware $500 September build. I got a bigger power supply. Everything posts, I just gotta wait for my OS to show up in the mail.

[quote name='reddjoey']If I am reading this correctly, you are having trouble with the LEDs on the fans, which you don't care about, and also powering your fans mounted on the front of your case.

You might need a 3pin extension cable (Amazon example) or am I way off base?[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and ordered that. The LED is actually lit on the one fan. It just isn't as bright as I thought it was supposed to be.

The computer has been running great. I've already been able to safely overclock it past 4.2 GHZ and have seen awesome performance. I'm playing Persona 3 FES at 6 times the PS2's native resolution and it looks amazing. I had a chance to run Left 4 Dead 2 completely maxed, which looked like a whole new game.

[quote name='Hiei69']The computer has been running great. I've already been able to safely overclock it past 4.2 GHZ and have seen awesome performance. I'm playing Persona 3 FES at 6 times the PS2's native resolution and it looks amazing. I had a chance to run Left 4 Dead 2 completely maxed, which looked like a whole new game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it (l4d2) does. Can I ask what you're using for PS2 emu? I was looking into PCSX2 but got sidetracked and never got started. I've got a huge PS2 backlog and I figured that if I can play them on my PC I'll actually make a dent in it.

I have a question I am looking to update my desktop rig, but i built it over 3 years ago so Ill pretty much have to scrap most of it. I had to replace my power supply due to the last one catching fire, and it has probably had less than three weeks of use, and it is defiantly less than a year old. I was going to re use my case as well. I have never re used any parts for an upgrade so I had a question, Would it be a problem if I did? I figure I can save a hundred bucks or so on a case and another 80 on the power supply. I cant think of any issue other than I will replace the case fans being that they are over three years old.

Side question I haven looked into my build parts yet, but for a 1 gb vid, hex core, with 8 + gigs of ram would a 600watt ps be sufficient? that's what I use and I wanted to check.

Check out this power supply calculator:
Power Supply Calculator

I don't know if this has been posted before but along with all the other build websites I extensively used with my latest build:
hardware-revolution.com/
I like how it's laid out by tiers and budgets, et al. Good advice overall.

However, always check other websites, reviews and all that before deciding... especially with newer technology and non-big named companies.

[quote name='egonpax']Check out this power supply calculator:
Power Supply Calculator

I don't know if this has been posted before but along with all the other build websites I extensively used with my latest build:
hardware-revolution.com/
I like how it's laid out by tiers and budgets, et al. Good advice overall.

However, always check other websites, reviews and all that before deciding... especially with newer technology and non-big named companies.[/QUOTE]

Tried that power calculator, seems low, hex core, 2 vid cards 16 gb ram and im only at 400 watts

Builders beware, the flood in Thailand has caused Hard Drive prices of jump a hella high (+50% or higher increase) as many are manufactured there. Some places (like newegg) have already jumped in price. You may be able to find more reasonably priced drives elsewhere, but I figured I'd throw the word out there.

I am looking to buy my first pre-built gaming desktop in the next 2 weeks (including black friday). I will probably buy from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower since they seem like the only decently priced, and reliable companies. My price range is around ~$1000-$1400.

My question is....
Any other suggestions of where to buy from?
Will any stores have deals on bf for gaming pcs?

[quote name='WakYasuk']I am looking to buy my first pre-built gaming desktop in the next 2 weeks (including black friday). I will probably buy from cyberpowerpc or ibuypower since they seem like the only decently priced, and reliable companies. My price range is around ~$1000-$1400.

My question is....
Any other suggestions of where to buy from?
Will any stores have deals on bf for gaming pcs?

Most of the sales for BF will be 2009 to 2010 models. Depending how you want to game this may not be the route to go.

You don't want to build at all? Then go with ibuypower.

[quote name='Megazell']Most of the sales for BF will be 2009 to 2010 models. Depending how you want to game this may not be the route to go.

You don't want to build at all? Then go with ibuypower.[/QUOTE]

Uhh, I am a little scared with building so I would prefer the pre-built ones but i am not completely removing building as one of my options. How much would I save if I built? Also, how hard exactly is it to build? I don't want to break something thats $300 :whistle2:#

[quote name='WakYasuk']Uhh, I am a little scared with building so I would prefer the pre-built ones but i am not completely removing building as one of my options. How much would I save if I built? Also, how hard exactly is it to build? I don't want to break something thats $300 :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

You can find guides on how to build that make it a snap. It's quite easy if you have the patience and spare an afternoon to do so.

I always build my rigs myself and I hardly ever go over $400.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_kick-ass_gaming_rig_under_700

Unless you are doing something really odd like shoving a piece of hardware with all of your might into a slot you won't be breaking any parts.

Got a quick PC question, I noticed when I restart my pc off with the power button on front of my PC. It fires back up, ie fans are spinning and the lights are on but I dont get a video signal. Then I have to power down the power supply and turn everything back on.

Now if I just hit the restart button or I power down the PC from Windows it works fine and comes back up like a dream. Is there something in Windows 7 power settings I should look at?

some nice ssd deals today... very tempting but ive been outa the pc game for a lil while so want to avoid making any dumb blind purchases.

sadly havent seen many videocard deals.

For you guys that are up to date. im currently running two older intel ssds in raid 0.. what can i use to measure the write/read speeds.

The only way id want to upgrade that is if i can get some sata3 ssds and run that in raid 0

Hi I am trying to upgrade my sound. If possible my budget is $65 after tax. the less the better.

right now i have this motherboard

MSI MS-7623
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P33.html

I want to connect it to my Onkyo TX-SR606 and make full use of my 5.1 HT speakers.

i have no experience with soundcards.

currently have a GeForce GTX460 768mb if that makes any difference with the ports.

i live near a frys too

i dont care for hearing lossless and all that, its just for PC gaming and i just want to use my 5.1 system

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar sound system in the SR605.

What i used to do was run an optical cable from my motherboard straight into the receiver. My current GTX560 though supports bitstreaming audio through hdmi so im just using that for now.

What's kind of annoying is that you have to keep the second display on in the nvidia control panel for it to work. I used tv often though to game

[quote name='guyver2077']I have a similar sound system in the SR605.

What i used to do was run an optical cable from my motherboard straight into the receiver. My current GTX560 though supports bitstreaming audio through hdmi so im just using that for now.

What's kind of annoying is that you have to keep the second display on in the nvidia control panel for it to work. I used tv often though to game[/QUOTE]

hmm seems my gtx460 supports audio through its HDMI.. thanks ill test it out when i get a giant cable Lol

[quote name='Furashu']hmm seems my gtx460 supports audio through its HDMI.. thanks ill test it out when i get a giant cable Lol[/QUOTE]

yea check monoprice..i think right now im using a dvi to hdmi adapter plus a long hdmi cable....

This is a really interesting thread. I'm actually looking to make a gaming laptop. Now you don't really buy pieces and put them together as you do a desktop; but do y'all have any hints/suggestions on a decent (maybe not top of the line, but good) gaming laptops and places to find deals if possible?

[quote name='ikari917']This is a really interesting thread. I'm actually looking to make a gaming laptop. Now you don't really buy pieces and put them together as you do a desktop; but do y'all have any hints/suggestions on a decent (maybe not top of the line, but good) gaming laptops and places to find deals if possible?[/QUOTE]

What type of gaming you plan to do on this?

[quote name='Megazell']What type of gaming you plan to do on this?[/QUOTE]

MMOG mostly. I have a good desktop that I usually game on; but SWTOR is coming out around Christmas where I will be traveling and not at home; so I figured I should try to get a good gaming laptop to support that and perhaps Diablo III(again when traveling) when it comes out. Those are the two I'm thinking of right off the bat.

[quote name='ikari917']MMOG mostly. I have a good desktop that I usually game on; but SWTOR is coming out around Christmas where I will be traveling and not at home; so I figured I should try to get a good gaming laptop to support that and perhaps Diablo III(again when traveling) when it comes out. Those are the two I'm thinking of right off the bat.[/QUOTE]

Diablo III require constant internet connection to play. At least that is what I remember.

I was wondering if any CAGs have had experience with a 120hz monitor? I am buying a new card so I can have a triple monitor setup but want to know if it would be worth it to throw a 120hz in the middle of two 60hz monitors I already have.

[quote name='ikari917']MMOG mostly. I have a good desktop that I usually game on; but SWTOR is coming out around Christmas where I will be traveling and not at home; so I figured I should try to get a good gaming laptop to support that and perhaps Diablo III(again when traveling) when it comes out. Those are the two I'm thinking of right off the bat.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind cranking settings down, a Bulldozer laptop in the 400 to 500 range (A8 when on sale) might be ok. Otherwise, you'll want to try and get something with at least a 260m or 5750m.

If you don't mind recertified laptops, Newegg has a bunch of ASUS ones with pretty good discounts.

If anyone is looking to buy a new video card like I am it is best to wait for December to January because there is a rumor that AMD is dropping new cards and the GTX 580 will be lower to $380. Here is the source so you can read for yourself.

^^^ goddamn it. I wish I knew that earlier since I just ordered a GTX 570 last Friday. Can't cancel now since it'll be here on Tuesday.

So, after about 5-6 years, my current rig is starting to show its age. My Intel E6600/Asus P5B with 6 gigs of memory is maxing out on a lot of stuff I do routine.

First off, thought about sound cards vs onboard. In my research, there seems to be mixed opinions on whether or not sound cards are needed anymore. Personally, I listen to a lot of music on my computer, and I've noted that it is really taking a lot of processor time just to do that. I don't know if part of the problem is that I'm using the onboard audio (SoundMax with drivers last updated in 2009) and whether I would get better performance with a dedicated audio card.

In more the longer term thinking, it looks like the current sweet spot for processors is the i5-2500k. Any recommendations for motherboards? (It seems anything based on the Z68 chipset, but I was looking for any thoughts.)

[quote name='runsongas']micro ATX or ATX, SLI/Xfire?, and how much overclocking are you going to do?[/quote]

ATX, but the case doesn't have a whole lot of room for long video cards. I bought a ATI 6670 card specifically because it wasn't very long. I haven't got SLI in the past, but I'm always open to it. I generally haven't overclocked my processor. I've more been in the silent PC crowd, tho not extremely.

A good choice is the Asrock for something value oriented
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Yeah, I've been looking at that motherboard. I've also heard Asrock coming up a lot in conversations, but I don't know about the rep of the company. I've been going with Asus motherboards for a while now.

[quote name='eddie291']^^^ goddamn it. I wish I knew that earlier since I just ordered a GTX 570 last Friday. Can't cancel now since it'll be here on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]
Refuse delivery?

Not really related to building a computer, but I figured I'd get the best response here.

My laptop will be 4 years old, it's what I've used all throughout college. I probably get a new one for awhile, but I'd like my next one to be able to play Skyrim. When I'm looking at laptops, what should I be looking for? Is it a graphics card? Any recommended brands?

[quote name='TheLongshot']ATX, but the case doesn't have a whole lot of room for long video cards. I bought a ATI 6670 card specifically because it wasn't very long. I haven't got SLI in the past, but I'm always open to it. I generally haven't overclocked my processor. I've more been in the silent PC crowd, tho not extremely.

Yeah, I've been looking at that motherboard. I've also heard Asrock coming up a lot in conversations, but I don't know about the rep of the company. I've been going with Asus motherboards for a while now.[/QUOTE]

Get a closed water cooler like the Corsair H70 and you can OC and still stay pretty silent. If you don't OC, you might as well get a i5-2400 instead of the i5-2500k. Short video cards are kind of hard to find, that will probably be the part that constrains your build.
Asus is generally solid but asrock and biostar are getting as good for like 20 percent cheaper.

[quote name='icedrake523']Not really related to building a computer, but I figured I'd get the best response here.

My laptop will be 4 years old, it's what I've used all throughout college. I probably get a new one for awhile, but I'd like my next one to be able to play Skyrim. When I'm looking at laptops, what should I be looking for? Is it a graphics card? Any recommended brands?[/QUOTE]

For Skyrim I would get at least a 460m/560m or 5850m/6870m. You can probably get by with a 260m/5750m if you're willing to crank details down but I wouldn't recommend it since the cost difference is pretty low.

[quote name='runsongas']Get a closed water cooler like the Corsair H70 and you can OC and still stay pretty silent. If you don't OC, you might as well get a i5-2400 instead of the i5-2500k. Short video cards are kind of hard to find, that will probably be the part that constrains your build.
Asus is generally solid but asrock and biostar are getting as good for like 20 percent cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Ok, got home and found Micro Center's flyer in the mailbox. Looks like they are running a special on processors and motherboards. The processors are a good deal ($179 for i5 2500K, $149 for i5 2400) and they offer $50 off if you buy selected motherboards, which looks like a combination of P67 and Z68 motherboards.

I don't know if the ASRock Extreme4 is worth $25 more than an Extreme3 for my purposes. (Micro Center doesn't have the Extreme3 as part of the deal. They do have the P67 Extreme4 as well, which would be $10 cheaper than the Extreme3)

Thing is, I'm not really looking to buy now. With the holidays and expenses, it isn't really ideal to buy now. I might wait it out a bit.

I think they have the CPU+Motherboard discount a lot. They were offering it back when I bought mine in late August, same for my friend earlier in the year.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Ok, got home and found Micro Center's flyer in the mailbox. Looks like they are running a special on processors and motherboards. The processors are a good deal ($179 for i5 2500K, $149 for i5 2400) and they offer $50 off if you buy selected motherboards, which looks like a combination of P67 and Z68 motherboards.

I don't know if the ASRock Extreme4 is worth $25 more than an Extreme3 for my purposes. (Micro Center doesn't have the Extreme3 as part of the deal. They do have the P67 Extreme4 as well, which would be $10 cheaper than the Extreme3)

Thing is, I'm not really looking to buy now. With the holidays and expenses, it isn't really ideal to buy now. I might wait it out a bit.[/QUOTE]

z68 has virtu so you can run use the HD3000 for video encoding. The SSD caching doesn't work that well as far as I know. Since the price difference is pretty small, its worth going with z68 if you plan on doing any significant amount of video encoding.

Well, I think I can put upgrading my computer on the backburner for a few more months. I finally tracked down what was slowing down my computer. It was AVG Free. Apparently it has turned to crap in recent years and it was slowing down my computer. I removed it and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials and now playing music on my computer isn't painful. Now I need to test it out with some of the games I had problems with to see if I get my speed back.

Still probably need to upgrade at some point, so I thank you guys for the information.

Sorry for a noob post, but I recently got a PC from work ($25 for a pc? Can't beat that...) and I was hoping to upgrade it so I would be able to play some games on it.

Now, I'm sure I have a long way to go, but I was hoping someone could point me out where I needed to get the most fix in or where I needed to improve.

I'm not interested in playing the Skyrims or Battlefields, but games that both the wife and I would play. So games like Rollercoaster Tycoon, Tropico, Bejeweled, Mahjong...more casual or strategy games if anything. So I don't think I need anything too over the top, but I was wondering what the best options would be. Here's my setup:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: E-2500D
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page File: 452MB used, 11431MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_5052107B&REV_04
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4308 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/25/2005 12:48:28, 38014 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
Mini VDD Date: 4/25/2005 12:56:18, 889628 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-1F63-5870A5C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2582
SubSys ID: 0x5052107B
Revision ID: 0x0004
Revision ID: 0x0004
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I am wondering if anyone would recomend buying Sony Vegas ( I am thinking just the basic $50 Version) and if not, why not?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Sorry for a noob post, but I recently got a PC from work ($25 for a pc? Can't beat that...) and I was hoping to upgrade it so I would be able to play some games on it.

Now, I'm sure I have a long way to go, but I was hoping someone could point me out where I needed to get the most fix in or where I needed to improve.

I'm not interested in playing the Skyrims or Battlefields, but games that both the wife and I would play. So games like Rollercoaster Tycoon, Tropico, Bejeweled, Mahjong...more casual or strategy games if anything. So I don't think I need anything too over the top, but I was wondering what the best options would be. Here's my setup:

Any help would be appreciated![/QUOTE]
With the games you listed you should be able to play all of the games with your current system. You can go to Pop Cap and try some demos to see how they play before you buy them.

[quote name='headpiece747']With the games you listed you should be able to play all of the games with your current system. You can go to Pop Cap and try some demos to see how they play before you buy them.[/QUOTE]

I looked on that Can You Run It site, and it said that at least with Tropico 4 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 that it wasn't enough to run them. I could probably make due with the previous games, but I wasn't sure what those requirements were. But with the newer ones, I think it said I needed a better graphics card and video card IIRC.

Just wasn't sure if I would need to update anything else if I did replace the graphics card or video card.

Thanks for the response.

The celeron is a big hinderance in your cpu power, but honestly I wound't invest any more than the video card at this point. Unless you find a cheapo e6600 or the likes cpu for it. But even then, I doubt you can find one for uber cheap like you got the system.

At most I would put in like a really cheap card so you can play tropico (6450 or 520 which can be had for 10 dollars after rebate). That Celeron is from the P4 era so a swap to cheap c2d or c2q is out.

You'll want a more modern system if you ever get into the total war series or civ 4/5.

bread's done
Back