The Ultimate 'Build-A-PC' Thread. Complete With Pricings & Recommendations (06/06/10)

Cool, thanks for the correct link and the RAM tip!

My last processor was Intel, so I'm not sure about AMD, but seem to be cheaper for what you get. I've heard good things but never tried them myself.

AMDs are good ONLY if you plan to OC them. If you don't then spend the money on the i5 2500k. That intel chip has the be one of the best buys for gamers looking to build a PC machine.

Honestly, a gaming machine needs a price range of $700. Anything less and you'll run into problems with your PC not being up to keep up with the times.

j-cart's guidelines: (note these price ranges are ballpark figures not accounting for awesome deals that one might encounter)

Sub-$400= just get a console, this PC will suck. Only useful for browsing the web and such.

$500= Decent computer that will be faster than 80% of all apple products. You'll be able to play your fair share of games but at lower settings. BF3, Witcher 2, and the likes are pretty much a no go on this kind of rig.

$700= good mid range PC that will DESTROY your consoles in every possible way. Well come to true 1080 @60 fps with some jaggies (cuz you can't really AA very well). Still you will have a PC you will be proud to own. OC one of this PC can give you the edge you want.

$1000= Someone has some cash to burn and wants to future proof with either one of the following: SLI/Crossfire (or just a single super high end card), SSD, faster CPU, or a decked out case. This kind of a gaming rig has a foundation set to last the user for the next 4-6 years (1080 @ 60 FPS with all the AAs you can turn on). Adding either of the following will allow the user to stay up to date with PC gaming.

$1500 and up= Now you are just bragging, but in a good way. Most likely you'll have a top of the line CPU, 2xGPU, SSDs, and a case that will be the brightest night light you'll ever have. This machine will make others bow before them and make you hate yourself. Why? Because you'll need to spend even more when you plan to upgrade (though it will be like 6 years later). Forgot to mention that you most likely will have 3+ monitors on a set up like this.

[quote name='j-cart']AMDs are good ONLY if you plan to OC them. If you don't then spend the money on the i5 2500k. That intel chip has the be one of the best buys for gamers looking to build a PC machine.

Honestly, a gaming machine needs a price range of $700. Anything less and you'll run into problems with your PC not being up to keep up with the times.

j-cart's guidelines: (note these price ranges are ballpark figures not accounting for awesome deals that one might encounter)

Sub-$400= just get a console, this PC will suck. Only useful for browsing the web and such.

$500= Decent computer that will be faster than 80% of all apple products. You'll be able to play your fair share of games but at lower settings. BF3, Witcher 2, and the likes are pretty much a no go on this kind of rig.

$700= good mid range PC that will DESTROY your consoles in every possible way. Well come to true 1080 @60 fps with some jaggies (cuz you can't really AA very well). Still you will have a PC you will be proud to own. OC one of this PC can give you the edge you want.

$1000= Someone has some cash to burn and wants to future proof with either one of the following: SLI/Crossfire (or just a single super high end card), SSD, faster CPU, or a decked out case. This kind of a gaming rig has a foundation set to last the user for the next 4-6 years (1080 @ 60 FPS with all the AAs you can turn on). Adding either of the following will allow the user to stay up to date with PC gaming.

$1500 and up= Now you are just bragging, but in a good way. Most likely you'll have a top of the line CPU, 2xGPU, SSDs, and a case that will be the brightest night light you'll ever have. This machine will make others bow before them and make you hate yourself. Why? Because you'll need to spend even more when you plan to upgrade (though it will be like 6 years later). Forgot to mention that you most likely will have 3+ monitors on a set up like this.[/QUOTE]

^ I don't agree with this.

There are many ways to get rigs well under $700 that will still be a power house. Many stores have super sales (especially when going out of business) then you have rebate the coupon deals along with reward programs from banks.

I hear you when you said 'not accounting for super deals' but there are more ways to get the deals then just waiting for them.

[quote name='bigant262']Should I get the GTX 560 ti Superclocked if I have a GTX 460 right now? Would it be a big improvement?[/QUOTE]

The improvements will be in the numbers. You might get a bump in fps here and there, but nothing noticeable to the naked eye. Video card upgrades are a tricky, because you could get another 460 and just SLI for better framerate and less jaggies. Improvements? Yes. Jaw-dropping difference? Only if you think you see the difference. For me I just say upgrade only when you "need" to. That "need" is something you are going to wait and find out.

[quote name='Megazell']^ I don't agree with this.

There are many ways to get rigs well under $700 that will still be a power house. Many stores have super sales (especially when going out of business) then you have rebate the coupon deals along with reward programs from banks.

I hear you when you said 'not accounting for super deals' but there are more ways to get the deals then just waiting for them.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, those were just ballparking figures. My rig should be a $1k PC, but I shopped around and got some great deals making it a $750 PC instead.

More or less they are just guidelines of what a person should expect to spend on what kind of machine they wish to purchase.

You are going to love you Crucial M4 SSD. I put the 256GB one in my newest build and I love it so far. My brother and one of my friends also put the same 256GB drive in their builds and so far so good for all of us.

Forgot to post my first build from the end of January
DSC00383.jpg

- Zalman Z9 Plus case - $69.99 + $3.99 s/h
- Asus M4A87TD/USB3 mobo $104.99
- AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black edition - $139.99
- Sapphire Radeon 6850 - $149.99
- 8GB G.Skill ram - $43.99
- Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W - $84.99
- Seagate 500GB HDD - $84.99
- Samsung DVD writer - $17.99
- Asus wireless card
-$28.99
After discounts from combos, came out to $698.90 and have $50 of rebate cards coming in the mail.

Saving up for a bigger HD now and possibly a SSD

Any input on this ~$1000 build would be appreciated. I know there isn't a disc drive, I have a spare one lying around. Would a swap to the new 8 Core AMD FX APU be worth it? I wanted to do a smaller SSD drive with room for the OS and some games, but I need the extra space since my wife will also use it for Pictures and iTunes. Doing a SSD + Standard SATA drive would push the price higher than I would like I think.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22882287

Really this is to run SWTOR and Skyrim at 1920x1080 and have some expandability. I've also been looking at the i5 based X51 Alienware desktop that's $1000.

Work in progress. Waiting on the processor to finish things up.

PSNZB.jpg

wtNYw.jpg

Completed:
PSU
SSD
HDD
BluRay Drive
Front Fan
MoBo prepped and ready
Heatsink w/ fans prepped and ready
GPU prepped and ready

I need help just trying to upgrade my old pc here is what I know
m8000n: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5200+ for TRUE multi-tasking AMD LIVE!™ Made to Bring It All Together
• 2.6GHz, 1MB+1MB L2 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus
Standard memory
2048MB
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (two available)
Chipset m8000n: NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset
Internal hard disk drive
m8000n: 500GB
Hard disk controller
m8000n: SATA hard drive
Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)
m8000n: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache
Video ram m8000n: 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 399MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista(TM)
m8000n: 2 PCI slots (occupied), 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available), 1 PCI-E x1 slot (available)
Just bought a 650 watt power supply as well and trying to play bf 3 and swtor
Looking for a graphics card any suggestions?

[quote name='taiidanx']Any input on this ~$1000 build would be appreciated. I know there isn't a disc drive, I have a spare one lying around. Would a swap to the new 8 Core AMD FX APU be worth it? I wanted to do a smaller SSD drive with room for the OS and some games, but I need the extra space since my wife will also use it for Pictures and iTunes. Doing a SSD + Standard SATA drive would push the price higher than I would like I think.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22882287

Really this is to run SWTOR and Skyrim at 1920x1080 and have some expandability. I've also been looking at the i5 based X51 Alienware desktop that's $1000.[/QUOTE]

Going to be a sick gaming PC. Just know that the 460 is $100+ cheaper than the 560. There is some difference, but mainly in the numbers. That is if you are trying to save some money.

http://www.hwcompare.com/8872/geforce-gtx-460-vs-geforce-gtx-560-ti/

[quote name='aftermath001']I need help just trying to upgrade my old pc here is what I know
m8000n: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5200+ for TRUE multi-tasking AMD LIVE!™ Made to Bring It All Together
• 2.6GHz, 1MB+1MB L2 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus
Standard memory
2048MB
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (two available)
Chipset m8000n: NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset
Internal hard disk drive
m8000n: 500GB
Hard disk controller
m8000n: SATA hard drive
Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)
m8000n: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache
Video ram m8000n: 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 399MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista(TM)
m8000n: 2 PCI slots (occupied), 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available), 1 PCI-E x1 slot (available)
Just bought a 650 watt power supply as well and trying to play bf 3 and swtor
Looking for a graphics card any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

You will need an all around upgrade. Your mobo was designed for the Athlon 64 chips which were awesome, but unfortunately they are out dated and this also means you can't upgrade to the newer AM3 and AM3+ chips.

A new graphics card will only be bottle-necked by your CPU. At lowest settings you might get away with it on SWTOR, but BF3 will be a no go.

[quote name='aftermath001']So for sure new mobo and chip what else?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much everything. You can save the HDD, but the ram is a no go since you'll be needing DDR3 now instead of DDR2. I don't know what kind of case you got, but I'm assuming that this PC is a pre-built, so you will need a new case aswell.

The best thing you can do is buy a whole new setup, since your current PC is was not intended to be upgraded. Just give this PC to your parents or something, it can still see a ton of use for web browsing and the such. Or hell, you can turn it into a HTPC.

[quote name='j-cart']Pretty much everything. You can save the HDD, but the ram is a no go since you'll be needing DDR3 now instead of DDR2. I don't know what kind of case you got, but I'm assuming that this PC is a pre-built, so you will need a new case aswell.

The best thing you can do is buy a whole new setup, since your current PC is was not intended to be upgraded. Just give this PC to your parents or something, it can still see a ton of use for web browsing and the such. Or hell, you can turn it into a HTPC.[/QUOTE]

thank you very much

My first build is complete. Currently testing it at 4.5Ghz. Album can be seen here.

Jt29K.jpg

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($110.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1378.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-02-07 23:56 EST-0500)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. So, many moons ago, I bought this computer on Newegg. While it's been great for average stuff like going online, listening to music, and playing flash games, it hasn't been able to run some PC games all that well.

Here's my question: would it be better if I upgraded the graphics card or bought a second card to run in parallel?

Also, I've done some reading and realize that if I were to upgrade to something like a GeForce 550ti, I should also upgrade my PSU (mostly because this computer has 300W and the 550ti asks for 400w). Would something like this be too much or not enough?

And lastly, should I do any other upgrades while I'm at it or would I be good just upgrading what I'm upgrading now? I know that dualcore CPUs are a dime a dozen at this point, but I'm still a bit squeamish about paying for quadcores for a general 'family' computer. It'd be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Alright, so I modded my build a bit and finally pulled the trigger. Here's a list on Newegg of my parts. (Not all were bought from Newegg, however. It was a combination of Newegg, TigerDirect, and Amazon.)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=13825809

All this with my new 15 Mbps Charter connection coming tomorrow and I'll be one happy gamer!
Thanks for the tips guys!

Edit: Other parts I already have:

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-X-Co...C4N8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328728005&sr=8-3

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179

[quote name='crunchberries']Okay. So, many moons ago, I bought this computer on Newegg. While it's been great for average stuff like going online, listening to music, and playing flash games, it hasn't been able to run some PC games all that well.

Here's my question: would it be better if I upgraded the graphics card or bought a second card to run in parallel?

Also, I've done some reading and realize that if I were to upgrade to something like a GeForce 550ti, I should also upgrade my PSU (mostly because this computer has 300W and the 550ti asks for 400w). Would something like this be too much or not enough?

And lastly, should I do any other upgrades while I'm at it or would I be good just upgrading what I'm upgrading now? I know that dualcore CPUs are a dime a dozen at this point, but I'm still a bit squeamish about paying for quadcores for a general 'family' computer. It'd be like putting lipstick on a pig.[/QUOTE]

I would open up your case (if the warranty is up and you are comfortable with it) and see if you have the option to run a 2nd card parallel to your stock one.

If you do plan on upgrading your GPU and need a new PSU. I would take measurements of your current power supply since it is possible your new power supply that you get might not fit in the case whether it be too big or too small. I believe you can get a name brand power supply for cheaper than the one you linked. Check out newegg.com

What games where you planning on running anyway?

[quote name='btw1217']My first build is complete. Currently testing it at 4.5Ghz. Album can be seen here.

Jt29K.jpg

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.24 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($110.50 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L/RSBP Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1378.65
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-02-07 23:56 EST-0500)[/QUOTE]

Nice, very clean looking wire job there.

[quote name='crunchberries']Okay. So, many moons ago, I bought this computer on Newegg. While it's been great for average stuff like going online, listening to music, and playing flash games, it hasn't been able to run some PC games all that well.

And lastly, should I do any other upgrades while I'm at it or would I be good just upgrading what I'm upgrading now? I know that dualcore CPUs are a dime a dozen at this point, but I'm still a bit squeamish about paying for quadcores for a general 'family' computer. It'd be like putting lipstick on a pig.[/QUOTE]

I would open up your case (if the warranty is up and you are comfortable with it) and see if you have the option to run a 2nd card parallel to your stock one.

If you do plan on upgrading your GPU and need a new PSU. I would take measurements of your current power supply since it is possible your new power supply that you get might not fit in the case whether it be too big or too small. I believe you can get a name brand power supply for cheaper than the one you linked. Check out newegg.com

What games where you planning on running anyway?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I would open up your case (if the warranty is up and you are comfortable with it) and see if you have the option to run a 2nd card parallel to your stock one.

What games where you planning on running anyway?[/QUOTE]

I plan on running Psychonauts, Costume Quest, Poker Night at the Inventory, Dragon Age II, Deus Ex, and Xotic. Nothing too crazy.

And thanks. I'll take a look inside to see what I can do before I run off and buy stuff that might not fit.

[quote name='btw1217']My first build is complete. Currently testing it at 4.5Ghz. [/QUOTE]

Gotta love those cases that have wire compartments. Nice setup and make sure you keep track of that CPU temp!

[quote name='Pyloric']Alright, so I modded my build a bit and finally pulled the trigger. Here's a list on Newegg of my parts. (Not all were bought from Newegg, however. It was a combination of Newegg, TigerDirect, and Amazon.)

All this with my new 15 Mbps Charter connection coming tomorrow and I'll be one happy gamer!
[/QUOTE]

Ahh man, you should have rolled with the GTX 460. Your PC is going to be bottlenecked by that 6790. Number wise your 6790 is not bad, but for $10 more you get that much need gfx boost from the 460.

Check from a list here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

[quote name='crunchberries']I plan on running Psychonauts, Costume Quest, Poker Night at the Inventory, Dragon Age II, Deus Ex, and Xotic. Nothing too crazy.

And thanks. I'll take a look inside to see what I can do before I run off and buy stuff that might not fit.[/QUOTE]

Your CPU is going to be holding you back if DA2 and Deus Ex are the games you want to play. From the case size, I'm not sure you will be able to fit a decent graphics card in there either.

If I'm reading that right, you shouldn't have a graphics card in there at all, as it should be integrated. If you do, I would still upgrade instead of running them in SLI, as it can cause some issues. One card is always more stable that two. That power supply should be sufficient, but I would try to go 500+ if you're looking to future proof it a little farther.

So building my first comp and not sure what is a good case/psu. Anyone have any recommendations? Was looking for something in the $50-100 range.

I was thinking a Coolermaster HAF 922 or 912 for a i5 2500k, GTX 460 or 560, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 type build with just standard hard drive, etc. Nothing fancy.

As for the PSU, I'm not sure which is a good/reliable brand. This seemed like an okay deal though - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
or should I spring for a 700W one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

[quote name='Kaelestis']So building my first comp and not sure what is a good case/psu. Anyone have any recommendations? Was looking for something in the $50-100 range.

I was thinking a Coolermaster HAF 922 or 912 for a i5 2500k, GTX 460 or 560, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 type build with just standard hard drive, etc. Nothing fancy.

As for the PSU, I'm not sure which is a good/reliable brand. This seemed like an okay deal though - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
or should I spring for a 700W one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017[/QUOTE]

I think you meant "$500-$1000" because 50-100 isn't going to get you much :D

Get the HAF, I personally have the 912 and I love it, so much air flow. The i5 2500k is a SOLID cpu, if you got the cash get it. The 560 will cost $100+ more than the 460, but it is a much better card. If you are on a budget but you want an awesome card, look around for people trying to sell older 470s or 480s. Both will kick the crap out of a 560 (but they do run hotter than the new 500 series, which is why you getting the HAF :) ).

Not a fan of OCZ products. Super hit and miss with them. I've had friends try to go cheap on their PSU by buying an OCZ to only have power issues. Spend the extra money and stick with either CoolerMaster or Corsair PSUs. Some people swear by OCZ, but not me.

Excuse the double post, but this is to sort of recount my post above about the 460 vs. 560. So if any of you are in the market for a gfx card there is this from newegg:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/687...d-56nkh3hs4gnk-batman-arkham-city-game-coupon

Solid price but I am a bit iffy on the make (Never used a galaxy) so proceed as caution. However $220 for a 560 ti is an awesome deal. It basically is a 570 but slightly bottlenecked, most won't even be able to see the difference, other than in the numbers.

It also comes with Batman: Arkham City.

[quote name='btw1217']If I'm reading that right, you shouldn't have a graphics card in there at all, as it should be integrated. If you do, I would still upgrade instead of running them in SLI, as it can cause some issues. One card is always more stable that two. That power supply should be sufficient, but I would try to go 500+ if you're looking to future proof it a little farther.[/QUOTE]

What can I do if there isn't a card in there? And is that a good thing?

[quote name='j-cart']Not a fan of OCZ products. Super hit and miss with them. I've had friends try to go cheap on their PSU by buying an OCZ to only have power issues. Spend the extra money and stick with either CoolerMaster or Corsair PSUs. Some people swear by OCZ, but not me.[/QUOTE]

They also had a problem a few years ago with their memory products being incompatible with Asus motherboards, so I don't touch OCZ at all.

I'd also recommend Seasonic power supplies. Rock solid and quiet.

Well, integrated graphics are never good for gaming, but simply adding a card will remedy that. It just means you don't have an existing card to add to or replace. It should make the decision easier for you though. Now it's just "add a card or don't have a card at all", instead of "add or replace".

[quote name='crunchberries']What can I do if there isn't a card in there? And is that a good thing?[/QUOTE]

That computer that you have is not fit for any sort of upgrade. It is like having a 2005 Toyota Echo and saying you want to put a turbo charger in it. You might be able to do it, but you'll just have problems.

The Mobo of your PC is a Nvidia 6100, which was great when it came out, but that was in 2005. Your mobo doesn't allow for any sort of CPU upgrade and if you do happen to fit a graphics card, it would only be held back by the rest of the computer.

Sorry to say that your PC is not capable of being upgraded to a gaming PC, but you do have options with that PC. Make it a dedicated web browsing, music and HTPC or give it to your parents. As for a gaming PC? You will have to start fresh if you want to play the latest games.

Start planning now, a $600-$700 is the ideal build price. It will rape, kill and pillage every game on the market and also be set for upgrades. At that price, console gaming will look ugly, slow and mechanical to you. It is a steep price compared to a console, but for enjoyment/hobby, every price is worth it.

[quote name='j-cart']That computer that you have is not fit for any sort of upgrade. It is like having a 2005 Toyota Echo and saying you want to put a turbo charger in it. You might be able to do it, but you'll just have problems.

The Mobo of your PC is a Nvidia 6100, which was great when it came out, but that was in 2005. Your mobo doesn't allow for any sort of CPU upgrade and if you do happen to fit a graphics card, it would only be held back by the rest of the computer.

Sorry to say that your PC is not capable of being upgraded to a gaming PC, but you do have options with that PC. Make it a dedicated web browsing, music and HTPC or give it to your parents. As for a gaming PC? You will have to start fresh if you want to play the latest games.

Start planning now, a $600-$700 is the ideal build price. It will rape, kill and pillage every game on the market and also be set for upgrades. At that price, console gaming will look ugly, slow and mechanical to you. It is a steep price compared to a console, but for enjoyment/hobby, every price is worth it.[/QUOTE]

I, uh, actually don't want a gaming PC or to play the latest games. I just want to upgrade what I have so it's slightly less sucky. Maybe I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned stuff like Dragon Age II or Deus Ex and I'm sorry if I did.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep it in mind.

[quote name='sunghost']This is my recent build, have most of the parts.. just need the motherboard and CPU cooler which I'll have by monday:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB
HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D 1TB
RAM: Patriot 2x4GB
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE 650W
Case: Corsair Carbide 500r
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Hopefully I won't have any issues with it.[/QUOTE]

Finished this build last night and having problems with the motherboard. The first 2 16x PCI-E slots don't work with any video card (video card fan spins, but input isn't detected). Bottom 16x PCI-E slot works but it runs at a max of 4x so it's not ideal to use. I'm gonna RMA it, bad first experience with an asus motherboard..

I've heard of others receiving the same board with bad PCI-E slots though, so I guess it's not really uncommon.

[quote name='crunchberries']I, uh, actually don't want a gaming PC or play the latest games. I just want to upgrade what I have so it's slightly less sucky. Maybe I gave the wrong impression when I mentioned stuff like Dragon Age II or Deus Ex and I'm sorry if I did.

Thanks for the advice, though. I'll keep it in mind.[/QUOTE]

DA2 and Deus Ex are not hardware hogs, but they do require a very good system to run them on a PC. Even upgrading your current one would not help.

However you should look into getting a gaming PC, it is after all, the Master Gaming Race :D

[quote name='sunghost']Finished this build last night and having problems with the motherboard. The first 2 16x PCI-E slots don't work with any video card (video card fan spins, but input isn't detected). Bottom 16x PCI-E slot works but it runs at a max of 4x so it's not ideal to use. I'm gonna RMA it, bad first experience with an asus motherboard..

I've heard of others receiving the same board with bad PCI-E slots though, so I guess it's not really uncommon.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that your mobo is acting up. It does seem to have its own built in gfx chip, so maybe you need to make sure that that is off first before trying to start your PC with your gfx cards in.

Asus is usually good on their support. Keep at them and they will most likely try to make sure you will get it replaced.

[quote name='j-cart']DA2 and Deus Ex are not hardware hogs, but they do require a very good system to run them on a PC. Even upgrading your current one would not help.

However you should look into getting a gaming PC, it is after all, the Master Gaming Race :D

Sorry to hear that your mobo is acting up. It does seem to have its own built in gfx chip, so maybe you need to make sure that that is off first before trying to start your PC with your gfx cards in.

Asus is usually good on their support. Keep at them and they will most likely try to make sure you will get it replaced.[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's an option to turn the onboard graphics "off" in the bios, however I did make sure the "initiate graphic adaptor" setting was set to PCIe/PCI so there should be no reason for the other PCI-E slots to not work besides them being defective. I ordered it from newegg using shoprunner so all I did was issue an RMA with newegg claiming it's defective and I'll be getting a refund + free return shipping.

I just ordered a P8Z68-V Pro, hopefully I won't have problems with it.

[quote name='sunghost']I don't think there's an option to turn the onboard graphics "off" in the bios, however I did make sure the "initiate graphic adaptor" setting was set to PCIe/PCI so there should be no reason for the other PCI-E slots to not work besides them being defective. I ordered it from newegg using shoprunner so all I did was issue an RMA with newegg claiming it's defective and I'll be getting a refund + free return shipping.

I just ordered a P8Z68-V Pro, hopefully I won't have problems with it.[/QUOTE]

Good luck on your new mobo. I jealous of your PC, I'm open for trades :D

[quote name='j-cart']I think you meant "$500-$1000" because 50-100 isn't going to get you much :D

Get the HAF, I personally have the 912 and I love it, so much air flow. The i5 2500k is a SOLID cpu, if you got the cash get it. The 560 will cost $100+ more than the 460, but it is a much better card. If you are on a budget but you want an awesome card, look around for people trying to sell older 470s or 480s. Both will kick the crap out of a 560 (but they do run hotter than the new 500 series, which is why you getting the HAF :) ).

Not a fan of OCZ products. Super hit and miss with them. I've had friends try to go cheap on their PSU by buying an OCZ to only have power issues. Spend the extra money and stick with either CoolerMaster or Corsair PSUs. Some people swear by OCZ, but not me.[/QUOTE]

Just don't get anything from the Coolermaster GX line, they aren't built as well as the silent pro ones. OCZ is kind of hit and miss, but they aren't any worse than the other value brands. Either go Corsair budget line or get something better like the Corsair enthusiast lines or Antec/xFx that guarantee Japanese capacitors imo.

[quote name='Pyloric']Alright, so I modded my build a bit and finally pulled the trigger. Here's a list on Newegg of my parts. (Not all were bought from Newegg, however. It was a combination of Newegg, TigerDirect, and Amazon.)

Edit: Other parts I already have:

PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Titanium-X-Co...C4N8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328728005&sr=8-3

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179[/QUOTE]

Do not get that psu from ultra. General rule of thumb is don't buy any psu brand that has ultra or max in the name (aka powmax/raidmax). Enermax is the exception (although there are better psu's for the money).

I've had an Ultra X3 PSU for almost 5 years and it's been great. For the last 3 years or so my build has had 3 hdd's and that thing hasn't ever skipped a beat. For the last 6 months I've had a ssd, 2 hdd's, and 2X 460 GTX's in SLI in my pc and it hasn't shown any signs of weakness or age. It is a 1000 watts so it shouldn't have trouble but still..... It comes highly recommended from me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4267989&CatId=2535

Ended up going with a corsair tx650 psu and haf 912. And I meant 50-100 each for psu and case haha. Now I just hope I can put this all together when it gets here.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Ended up going with a corsair tx650 psu and haf 912. And I meant 50-100 each for psu and case haha. Now I just hope I can put this all together when it gets here.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy the HAF 912. Make sure you do your extended part and shell out for two 200mm fans for it as well. It keeps everything nice a cool.

[quote name='cgarb84']I've had an Ultra X3 PSU for almost 5 years and it's been great. For the last 3 years or so my build has had 3 hdd's and that thing hasn't ever skipped a beat. For the last 6 months I've had a ssd, 2 hdd's, and 2X 460 GTX's in SLI in my pc and it hasn't shown any signs of weakness or age. It is a 1000 watts so it shouldn't have trouble but still..... It comes highly recommended from me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4267989&CatId=2535[/QUOTE]

That setup can be comfortably run on a tx650 with no issues. Last review from Jonnyguru pretty much sums up that the Ultra lineup is outdated and a bad value for what you get.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=174

I forgot to screencap it, but the other day my temp monitor (Core Temp) was showing the max temperature of my CPU as 252 C. I figured it was time to get the dust out.

[quote name='runsongas']That setup can be comfortably run on a tx650 with no issues. Last review from Jonnyguru pretty much sums up that the Ultra lineup is outdated and a bad value for what you get.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=174[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's possible their newer psu's are crap I was just speaking from experience with mine. No matter where you buy though modular is the way to go....so great for cable management.

Can anyone recommend me a decent build at around $300/400 ? Kind of interested in gaming on it.. Nothing too intense like Skyrim but I'd like to be able to play some of my many cheap steam games acquired over the years. Also interested in PS2/GC emulation. Would be nice to be able to play my collection on one machine, but if it can't be done under 400 bucks it's not the end of the world.

I really want to upgrade, my laptop just gave out on me and I'd like something decent to game on and probably use as an HTPC.

Don't need a hard drive or an OS, and as far as ram probably just something to keep me satisfied for the time being and I'll upgrade down the road.. Maybe 2GB with ability to upgrade to 4-8 in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='MillerTime2523']Can anyone recommend me a decent build at around $300/400 ? Kind of interested in gaming on it.. Nothing too intense like Skyrim but I'd like to be able to play some of my many cheap steam games acquired over the years. Also interested in PS2/GC emulation. Would be nice to be able to play my collection on one machine, but if it can't be done under 400 bucks it's not the end of the world.

I really want to upgrade, my laptop just gave out on me and I'd like something decent to game on and probably use as an HTPC.

Don't need a hard drive or an OS, and as far as ram probably just something to keep me satisfied for the time being and I'll upgrade down the road.. Maybe 2GB with ability to upgrade to 4-8 in the future.

Any help would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Llano A8 is probably your best choice at the 300 to 400 mark. Should be enough for some light gaming. A few more bucks and you can probably move up to a phenom x4 with a real video card though (like a 6770/6850). If you don't need a monitor, 500 to 600 is workable for a lower-mid end build that will run pretty much everything as long as you don't mind turning some settings down.

[quote name='runsongas']Llano A8 is probably your best choice at the 300 to 400 mark. Should be enough for some light gaming. A few more bucks and you can probably move up to a phenom x4 with a real video card though (like a 6770/6850). If you don't need a monitor, 500 to 600 is workable for a lower-mid end build that will run pretty much everything as long as you don't mind turning some settings down.[/QUOTE]
That all sounds pretty decent... I think I could bump it up to the 500 area.. I could probably live with an integrated card for a little bit until I get some more cash in April/May and spring for a good card.

Right now I'm using a Compaq Presario from like '05 to play all my music and movies and stuff. Thing is slow as fuck haha.. So it would be cool to build something now that I have a lot of room to work with in the future when my budget increases.

:edit: Just found out I might have an added 300 bucks to play with here. Might go with a build similar to this

http://the247arcade.com/battlefield-3-on-a-budget-pc/371671/

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX500 – $60

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 – $60

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz – $120

Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB Model PG234G1600ELKA – $30

GPU: HIS H685F1GD Radeon 6850 1GB – $160

Case: Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black – $30

Total $460

bread's done
Back