The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI. Don't bother buying from these guys. They charged $25.00 to ship 2 books to the US, but then USPS told me I owed an additional $11.40 to cover postage. They did not actually pre-pay shipping (I have no idea how they even managed to get it overseas with a "postage due" sticker).

The box also didn't contain a return address, so there was no way for me to force getting a refund by refusing shipment. The box literally just had a sticker with my name, address, and the postage due. No other information.

I sent them an email to at least try to get my $11.40 back, but I don't plan to buy from them again.
wow thats messed up. thanks for the warning.

FYI. Don't bother buying from these guys. They charged $25.00 to ship 2 books to the US, but then USPS told me I owed an additional $11.40 to cover postage. They did not actually pre-pay shipping (I have no idea how they even managed to get it overseas with a "postage due" sticker).

The box also didn't contain a return address, so there was no way for me to force getting a refund by refusing shipment. The box literally just had a sticker with my name, address, and the postage due. No other information.

I sent them an email to at least try to get my $11.40 back, but I don't plan to buy from them again.
That's nuts, and very different from my last experience shopping with ROM. I had a package from them never show up last year (also via Royal Mail + USPS). Gave them periodic updates, then six months passed and I wrote to say that I thought those two books I'd ordered were probably lost. They sent me replacements via UPS free of charge. I'll continue to do business with them for sure; good luck on getting your own situation resolved.

If memory serves, all my dealings with Read-Only Memory publishing has been through crowd funding ventures, so nothing bad to report on that front. I did deal directly with Darren Wall years ago, as I needed to change a pledge on a book, or some issue I had, and he was great to deal with at the time. I actually ended up with a free book out of the situation at the time, 

Thanks for the heads up on current possible issues, as that sounds pretty piss poor to say the least. Sometimes once these places grow past their small beginnings, certain things like CS can often become an issue. I haven't been back to the Pix N Luv guys since they resurfaced, due to some of the questionable things they did in the past. And while I had never had an issue, I came real close on a few situations, and decided it better not to temp fate, and I haven't been back.

As stated, all my past experiences have been rather good in regards to ROM, but there is no harm in being cautionary moving forward, as I've seen many "good" places go "bad" over the years(and vice versa).

I'll let you guys know if I hear back from them. I honestly don't know if it's an isolated incident or a sign of shit going downhill.

The Dreamcast book is nice looking, so I wouldn't mind getting the Sega Master System book once they reprint it. I'm just a bit soured right now.

Just wanted to close the loop on Read-only Memory. They refunded the postage and explained that they are still trying to sort through Brexit issues. Books are supposed to be excluded from additional fees, but customs is just charging everyone.

I'll probably give them another shot once they reprint the Sega Master Works book.

geeks line has a kickstarter for their PC engine/turboGrafx book! just about fully funded today. theyve done previous books for Nes, Super Nintendo, N64 and gamecube that were fantastic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pcengineanthology/pc-engine-turbografx-16-and-pc-fx-anthology?ref=discovery&term=geeks%20line
I missed out on the early bird special for the Gunhed Deluxe Edition, but I did support it. I have their books on the NES, SNES, PSX, and Gamecube and they are all top notch. Only missing the N64 one. They are just about the only Kickstarter I still support nowadays.

The NES Omnibus: The Nintendo Entertainment System and Its Games, Volume 1 (A–L) is on sale for $36.96 over at Amazon(49.99 regular). I have several of this authors books, including both volumes of the SNES Omnibus books, which appear to be of the same quality as his current offering.

I've bought many of his books directly from him at conventions(all signed), and he's a cool guy who has some really good video game related books. This current book was actually just $42 on Amazon last week, as I was planning to buy it then, but got busy and just noticed the price had dropped further, so I jumped on it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076436068X/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I missed out on the early bird special for the Gunhed Deluxe Edition, but I did support it. I have their books on the NES, SNES, PSX, and Gamecube and they are all top notch. Only missing the N64 one. They are just about the only Kickstarter I still support nowadays.
It looks cool, but not sure I should spend that much given the shipping cost as well. Wish I didn't miss the early bird. Could have got the basic version, but hesitated.

geeks line has a kickstarter for their PC engine/turboGrafx book! just about fully funded today. theyve done previous books for Nes, Super Nintendo, N64 and gamecube that were fantastic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pcengineanthology/pc-engine-turbografx-16-and-pc-fx-anthology?ref=discovery&term=geeks%20line
For those who may have missed out on the SNES Anthology, they are now offering up a "Gold Edition" as an early release for those getting in on the PC Engine Anthology currently. It seems to be more than the standard edition, but less than the premium version offered previously.

I also stumbled across "Gamemaster Classified" which is a new book about early Nintendo of America with help from long time OG, Howard Phillips himself. The book looks like it could be cool, as it seems to mimic the styles of early NP magazines, and they have far exceeded their intended target amount. This book only has a little over one day left to pledge, so glad I found it when I did, as I would have hated to miss out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/437762268/gamemaster-classified?ref=section-homepage-view-more-recommendations-p1

The Game Console 2nd Edition is coming August 10, 2021. 312 pages; MSRP $39.99. (The 1st Edition was 264 pages; MSRP $24.99)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1718500602/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This expanded edition adds coverage of noteworthy consoles and gaming-heavy computers such as the Commodore VIC-20 (1981), ZX Spectrum (1982), and Mattel Aquarius as well as multiple PSPs, the iPhone, and the beloved Apple II.

416jVtjitFL._SX401_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm on the fence whether or not it's worth double-dipping. The $15 price increase is a lot for 48 more pages. I may hold out for reviews.

I'm on the fence whether or not it's worth double-dipping. The $15 price increase is a lot for 48 more pages. I may hold out for reviews.
Thanks for the heads up, as I added to my wish-list, but I think I'll pass for now, as I don't need to spend $40 on an update. If it ever reaches the low bar of before, count me in for sure.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Material Ultimania is coming in December from Square Enix Manga & Books. Seems to be another artbook-style Ultimania. The MSRP is $39.99; various shops' preorder listings are in the link.

The Art of Atari is currently $21.51 on Amazon, and I can't say if this is the best the price has been for this, but this book is one of the few I would recommend at full price. At the beginning of gaming, a HUGE imagination was key, and the art Atari used still drops my jaw to this day, and this book is all about it.

Sadly, as games got better looking, many developers/publishers used less and less quality box art, as more games could speak for themselves with in game graphics. Art like this, and the same with manuals is now just a lost "art" so to speak, but when it was good, damn, it was truly amazing. The reviews for this book speak for themselves, and at this price, this is a no brainer.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1524101036?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2313400_572606900#customerReviews

Well, here's a blast from the past, Pixel Perfect: Punch-Out!! (NES Hardcover Book) is now available on Kickstarter, as this was first offered there back in 2013. The author made the mistake of trying to get "N" involved, and needless to say that went tits up, and the book was never officially released.

While looking at past info for this, the author released the PDF about a year after it was originally cancelled, and allowed for fans to print their own books. I guess at some point past that, the author printed his own copies as well, and offered them on Amazon($237 if your interested). LOL I guess it was good I never find out about those, as I would have for sure bought one, as this booked looked way cool back when it was first offered. Now it can be had for a much better price, and has some updated content as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesubcon3/pixel-perfect-punch-out-nes-hardcover-book?ref=discovery&term=punch%20out

15% off in-stock products at Read-Only Memory with the code ROMSALE - expires June 11.

In other news, this is a little old, but Viz is publishing Hideo Kojima's book The Creative Gene. It's a hardcover retailing for $22.99 (and going for cheaper at the usual places), and it comes out in October. Here's an excerpt from the introduction (via Destructoid).

If anyone is interested, Target has quite a few standard and deluxe edition art books (both video game and anime) that apply for the B2G1 promo they are running, such as the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Deluxe Edition ($46.49). If you have been wanting something, it might not be a bad idea to check if Target has it.

If anyone is interested, Target has quite a few standard and deluxe edition art books (both video game and anime) that apply for the B2G1 promo they are running, such as the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Deluxe Edition ($46.49). If you have been wanting something, it might not be a bad idea to check if Target has it.
My wallet hates you

Ugh dammit, of course this had to coincide with them giving me a "make 3 $40 purchases and get $15 back" on Circle offer as well.

I'm legit out of space on my bookshelf to put new books, but I keep buying them.....

Ugh dammit, of course this had to coincide with them giving me a "make 3 $40 purchases and get $15 back" on Circle offer as well.

I'm legit out of space on my bookshelf to put new books, but I keep buying them.....
Bookshelf full, hell, mine are sprawled out on my office floor like high-rise towers of a major metropolitan city. I haven't even got to the bookshelf being full yet, and I'm still buying, so yeah, misery loves company I suppose. LOL

Bookshelf full, hell, mine are sprawled out on my office floor like high-rise towers of a major metropolitan city. I haven't even got to the bookshelf being full yet, and I'm still buying, so yeah, misery loves company I suppose. LOL
Luckily our place had an extra closet no one claimed with built in shelves that I made my current "Library" room and stuck a half sized bookshelf against the bare wall. But at some point (Or when I move to a new place) i just need to invest in a massive full wall sized bookshelf so I won't have to worry about it again.

Its mostly the oversized art/design books I love collecting and the weird sized ones like the Art of Disney and Pixar movie books that make storing them hard. I probably have like 30 books stacked in my room/clothing closet alone, had a really good week of hauls at Half Price Books that didnt help.

Anyone know of any recent video game books that would have been added to Target for preorder (or even good recent releases)? Don't have much in my wishlist (surprisingly), though I may grab some omnibuses since those are $125-$150 each

Anyone know of any recent video game books that would have been added to Target for preorder (or even good recent releases)? Don't have much in my wishlist (surprisingly), though I may grab some omnibuses since those are $125-$150 each
Wondering the same thing- I had Shantae preordered at Target from way back when but they canceled that order without giving me a reason. It's back now but not sure there's anything else I want...

just order 3 and cancel 2

does that not work with books like it does with games?

just order 3 and cancel 2

does that not work with books like it does with games?
Oh duh... I keep forgetting about that. Although the last time I did this was the Shantae order- and that order eventually got canceled before the book came out. Not sure if that was a fluke or what but I guess I'll give it a try.

ive generally had bad experiences with book preorders from target

they kept trying to cancel my persona artbooks for like 2 months

Some suggestions. My Amazon artbooks are almost always damaged, but had much better luck with Target

• Pac-man birth of an icon
  • The art of Halo Infinite
  • The art of Apex Legends
  • Final fantasy XIV Artbooks (Multiple)
  • Sonic the hedgehog Encyclo-Speed-La (Deluxe or Regular)
  • Assassins creed Atlas
  • Kingdom hearts character files
  • The art of street fighter - hardcover edition 
  • The art of Shantae
  • Nier Automata world guide Vol 1
  • Bioware: Stories and secrets from 25 years of game development 
  • Watch dogs legion: resistance report
  • The art of Far Cry 6
  • Udons’s art of capcom( vol 1,2,3)
  • Devil may cry 3142 Graphic arts hardcover
  • Final fantasy xv: The dawn of the future
  • Final fantasy xv official works( Regular & deluxe)
  • Final fantasy vii poster collection
  • Resident evil 7 : biohazard document file
  • The art of assassin’s Valhalla ( regular & deluxe)
  • The art of Samurai Showdown 
  • The art of Tekken: A complete visual history 
  • Marvel spider-man : miles morales the art of the game
  • The art of mass effect trilogy: expanded edition 
  • The art of crash bandicoot 4: it’s about time 
  • The art of darksiders genesis

I've never ordered from Bitmap before, but had to pick up that JRPG book I heard about recently. Does anyone know how long shipping tends to take who's ordered from them in the past? And do books like that tend to ever receive discounts before selling out?

I've never ordered from Bitmap before, but had to pick up that JRPG book I heard about recently. Does anyone know how long shipping tends to take who's ordered from them in the past? And do books like that tend to ever receive discounts before selling out?
Shipping is a crap shoot lately, so hard to say. They ship out pretty quick (within a few days), but it's anyone's guess how long it'll take to get to you.

I've never seen discounts on their books.

I've gotten all their major releases over the last few years, and all have come DHL express, so normally 2-4 days(I'm in the US). I often get their posters, and they used to use rather thin tubes(have been improved in recent times), so I've had several arrived damaged. I've always contacted Sam directly, and replacements have been shipped the same way, DHL express within a few days. Their book packaging is insane(probably the best in the industry), and I've never had a book arrived damaged. And with their thicker postal tubes, haven't had any poster problems recently either.

A signature is always required, but if you set up a free DHL account, you can waive that online, and have them leave at your door(or backyard, etc). I always leave a note at my door, and in the instructions I state if they arrive and there is no note, DO NOT leave the package, as you have the wrong house. That has kept me from having packages left elsewhere, when the drive is daydreaming, so always "cover your ass". The guy on my route knows me from my notes, as one time a package arrived so quick, I didn't get to leave the note, and luckily I was home when he knocked, and he asked were my note was? LOL

Apparently you can get for cheaper on book depository, FYI

Don't they sell rejects with remainder marks? Or was that another place.

On second thought, it's $65 there, so probably not.

Shipping is a crap shoot lately, so hard to say. They ship out pretty quick (within a few days), but it's anyone's guess how long it'll take to get to you.

I've never seen discounts on their books.
Decided to order since discounts don't sound likely, thanks.

I've gotten all their major releases over the last few years, and all have come DHL express, so normally 2-4 days(I'm in the US). I often get their posters, and they used to use rather thin tubes(have been improved in recent times), so I've had several arrived damaged. I've always contacted Sam directly, and replacements have been shipped the same way, DHL express within a few days. Their book packaging is insane(probably the best in the industry), and I've never had a book arrived damaged. And with their thicker postal tubes, haven't had any poster problems recently either.

A signature is always required, but if you set up a free DHL account, you can waive that online, and have them leave at your door(or backyard, etc). I always leave a note at my door, and in the instructions I state if they arrive and there is no note, DO NOT leave the package, as you have the wrong house. That has kept me from having packages left elsewhere, when the drive is daydreaming, so always "cover your ass". The guy on my route knows me from my notes, as one time a package arrived so quick, I didn't get to leave the note, and luckily I was home when he knocked, and he asked were my note was? LOL
Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't aware that they would require a signature.

Apparently you can get for cheaper on book depository, FYI
Thanks, I had already ordered, but I'll keep that in mind next time. Not sure if they include digital there, so I guess even though I paid more there will be that bonus.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back