The unOFFICIAL Art Book Pre-Order Thread

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Art Book Pre-Order Thread
I am totally ripping off Ionotropic's CE Guide Thread's Wiki format. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Alien: Isolation, The Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 7, 2014)
Publisher: Titan Books
Page Count: 176
Amazon $26.56

Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment: Employee Handbook

Author: Ubisoft (November 4, 2014)
Publisher: Insight Editions
Page Count: 152
Amazon $28.46

Batman: Arkham Trilogy, The Art of

Author: Rocksteady Studios (April 14, 2015)
Publisher: Abrams
Page Count: 320
Amazon $27.51

Book of Life, The Art of

Author: Jorge Gutierrez and Guillermo del Toro (September 30, 2014)
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Page Count: 184
Amazon $24.91

Breath of Fire: Official Complete Works

Author: Keiji Inufane, Tatsuya Yoshikawa, Capcom (September 9, 2014)
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Page Count: 192
Amazon $28.06

Destiny, The Art of

Author: Bungie (December 16, 2014)
Page Count: 160
Amazon $32.10 ($45.00 MSRP)

Destiny: The Poster Collection

Author: Insight Editions (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 40
Amazon $18.62 ($24.99 MSRP)

Devil May Cry: A Divine Comedy

Author: Medhi El Kanafi / Nicolas Courcier (July 22, 2014)
Publisher: Les Edition Pix'N Love
Amazon $37.04

Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives

Author: Bethesda Games (November 25, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age: Inquisition, The Art of
Author: Bioware (October 7, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Dragon Age Inquisition: Prima Official Inquisitor Edition

Author: Bungie (November 18, 2014)
Publisher: Prima
Page Count: 368
Amazon $107.99 ($119.99 MSRP)

Evil Within, The Art of
Author: Bethesda Games (October 14, 2014)
Page Count: 1
Amazon $28.06

5th Cell, The Art of
Author: Edison Yan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 168
Amazon $29.99

Gran Turismo 5, Art of

Author: Daniel Wade (November 11, 2014)
Publisher: Ballistic Publishing
Page Count: 256
Amazon $40.95
51eTmiAUyYL._SS500_.jpg

Naughty Dog, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (October 14, 2014)
Amazon $28.06

Resident Evil 6 Artworks

Author: Capcom (October 7, 2014)
Page Count: 272
Amazon $31.20

SF25: The Art of Street Fighter

Author: Capcom (August 12, 2014)
Page Count: 448
Amazon $40.64

UDON's Art of Capcom: Complete Edition

Author: Alvin Lee, Arnold Tsang, Jeffrey Chamba Cruz, Joe Ng, and Omar Dogan (November 11, 2014)
Page Count: 600!
Amazon $53.23

Uncharted Trilogy, The Art of the

Author: Naughty Dog (April 28, 2015)
Page Count: 240
Amazon $30.00

Witcher, The World of

Author: CD Projekt Red (March 17, 2015)
Amazon $27.10
============================
Previously Released Art Book Archive
============================

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Previously Released]

Assassin's Creed III, Art of

Author: Andy McVittie (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 144
Amazon $19.77
Special Features: Hardcover

Atelier: Artworks of Arland

Author: Mel Kishida, Gust (May 5, 2013)
Amazon $28.11

Bayonetta: Eyes of

Author: Sega (July 11, 2013)
Page Count: 224
Amazon $31.49
Special Features: DVD

Bioshock Infinite: Art of

Author: Ken Levine (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $23.52

Blizzard, Art of

Author: Nick Carpenter, Sam Didier, Chris Metzen (December 25, 2012)
Page Count: 352
Amazon $47.25

Borderlands 2, Art of

Author: BradyGames (November 5, 2012)
Page Count: 208
Amazon $25.00

Darksiders II, Art of

Author: Joe Madureira, THQ (November 13, 2012)
Page Count: 200
Amazon $24.99

Dead Space: Art Of (Clamshell Edition) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Page Count: 224 (192 Normal + 32 Exclusive)
Limited Time You Get A Chrome Plated Marker Pendant As A Bonus (dead)
EA Store $65.00

Dead Space: Art of (Regular) (January 28, 2013)

Author: Martin Robinson
Amazon $23.07

Devil Survivor: Official Material Collection (June 11, 2013)

Amazon $26.57

Eve: Source

Author: CCP Games (March 18, 2014)
Amazon $29.22
Final Fantasy, The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (October 30, 2012)
Page Count: 800
Book Depository (US) $104.99
Special Features: Hardcover, Boxed Set

Final Fantasy (Slipcase Edition), The Sky: Art of

Author: Yoshitaka Amano (July 2, 2013)
Page Count: 576
Amazon $56.69
Special Features: Hardcover, Slipcase Edition

Growlanser Art Works
Author: Satoshi Urushihara (March 12, 2013)
Amazon $24.99

Halo 4, Awakening: Art of

Author: Paul Davies (November 6, 2012)
Amazon $23.07

Heroes and Heroines: Japanese Video Game + Animation Illustration

Editor: Yoshiyuki Oba (October 2, 2012)
Publisher: PIE International
Amazon $16.74

Kingdom Hearts, The Artwork of

Author: Shiro Amano (October 29, 2013)
Publisher: Yen Press
Amazon $21.16

The Last of Us, The Art of

Author: Naughty Dog Studios (July 16, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.03

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia

Author: Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Akira Himekawa (January 29, 2013)
Amazon $20.99

Mario Goodies Collection
Author: Naughty Dog Studios (May 28, 2014)
Publisher: Les Editions Pix'N Love
Amazon $26.88

Remember Me, The Art of

Author: Various (May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Dark Horse
Amazon $26.39

Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes: Official Complete Works

Author: Capcom (November 6, 2012)
Page Count: 152
Amazon $24.99

Shining Hearts: Collection of Visual Materials

Author: Tony Taka, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Amazon $24.99

Sonic the Hedgehog, History of

Author: Marc Petronille, William Audureau, Sega (October 9, 2012)
Page Count: 300
Amazon $23.09

Takehito Harada Art Works

Author: Takehito Harada (April 9, 2013)
Amazon $24.99
Features:
All four Disgaea titles, as well as Prinny 1 & 2, Makai Kingdom, and Phantom Brave

Tomb Raider: Art of Survival

Author: BradyGames (March 18, 2013)
Publisher: BradyGames
Amazon $26

Transformers, Art of Fall of Cybertron

Author: Mark Bellomo (October 23, 2012)
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Amazon $23.09

Valkyria Chronicles 3: Complete Artworks

Author: Raita Honjou (March 26, 2013)
Amazon $29.69

[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

[CUSTOMSPOILER=Possibly Cancelled?]

Assassin's Creed: Art ( R )evolution

Editor: Debora Ferrari (October 2, 2012)
Amazon $19.46

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (October 15, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

League of Legends, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (July 16, 2013)
Amazon $40.95

Portal 2, Art of (currently MIA)

Author: Andy McVittie (November 13, 2012)
Amazon $23.09
[URL="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N"]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457%22%22%5DB&N[/url]"][/url]http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/art-of-portal-2-valve/1111297457""]B&N[/url][/URL]$23.12

Twisted Metal, Art of

Editor: Ronnie Gramazio (May 14, 2013)
Amazon $40.95
[/CUSTOMSPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
Just of note, my two Art of Metal Gear V Limited editions have dropped to $59.99 for some reason.  I guess preorder price guarantee kicked in and it was the cost one day.

Just of note, my two Art of Metal Gear V Limited editions have dropped to $59.99 for some reason. I guess preorder price guarantee kicked in and it was the cost one day.
Yeah, it happened awhile ago, as mine did the same. Sweet price, now I'm just hoping it arrives in one piece, as Amazon is the worst when it come to shipping/handling.

So I know this thread has been dead for a while and This may not be the proper thread but I just saw this on Kickstarter recently. They aren't art books but Third edition books from France is looking to translate and release their 3 most popular lore and in depth analysis books stateside, which are dark souls, Zelda. And FFVII. They already have the publisher and translater lined up here in the states and are using Kickstarter to fund the translations but obviously you can back it to get the books. I jumped on all 3 since they seem very interesting and I'd love to read in depth about them. They also plan to add stretch goals involving their other game related books. Check it out

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thirdeditions/third-editions-books-your-ultimate-gamer-library?ref=discovery

So I know this thread has been dead for a while and This may not be the proper thread but I just saw this on Kickstarter recently. They aren't art books but Third edition books from France is looking to translate and release their 3 most popular lore and in depth analysis books stateside, which are dark souls, Zelda. And FFVII. They already have the publisher and translater lined up here in the states and are using Kickstarter to fund the translations but obviously you can back it to get the books. I jumped on all 3 since they seem very interesting and I'd love to read in depth about them. They also plan to add stretch goals involving their other game related books. Check it out

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thirdeditions/third-editions-books-your-ultimate-gamer-library?ref=discovery
Awesome find!

I am extremely intrigued... I just am not sure if I can justify $100 right now on them all. I am going to sleep on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wonder why the Dark Souls book is softcover in the video. I'm assuming all 3 will be hardcover in the KS campaign.
from the looks of it, the french edition is soft cover but scrolling down and looking at the english covers they have displayed the dark souls one does look to be hardcover. I dont see why they would make only 2 out of the 3 hardcover for the NA versions

I'm kind of upset that of their whole collection those are the only ones currently being translated. I have absolutely no interest in their dark souls and Zelda book. The final fantasy vii book I'm sure will be great but I really wish they were bringing over their BioShock book. That's one I'd love to pick up.

I'm kind of upset that of their whole collection those are the only ones currently being translated. I have absolutely no interest in their dark souls and Zelda book. The final fantasy vii book I'm sure will be great but I really wish they were bringing over their BioShock book. That's one I'd love to pick up.
i think they've stated that they would love to bring them all over but ultimately its dependent on how well these do

I know they mention it but translation costs for books are very hard to absorb. Big part of why I decided to participate in this is the hope that the profits will allow for future translations and they could sell them via Amazon or Barnes and Noble or whoever in a regular web storefront.

So are the books just like an analysis of the specific game or is it like a history book for the game on what led to its creation? Im kind of confused.

So are the books just like an analysis of the specific game or is it like a history book for the game on what led to its creation? Im kind of confused.
I think it's an analysis but also a history of the game, not its creation but the worlds history and events and lore

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet, but the Japanese artbook The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Graphics came out recently. I happened to flip through a copy at Seattle's Kinokuniya Bookstore yesterday and it is lovely. Unlike Hyrule Historia, it has a heavy art focus; it'd make a very nice companion piece to that older book. Notably, Dark Horse will be localizing it as The Legend of Zelda: Art & Artifacts; that version will be out in February 2017.

Looks like Future Press is releasing a guide / art book for The Last Guardian. Given the quality of their past releases and the fact that they tend to jump up in value once out of print, it might be worth locking in a preorder.

The Last Guardian: An Extraordinary Story - $27.93 on Amazon, $39.99 MSRP, Feb 28, 2017

31aXv%2B%2BrFvL._SY465_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A New Breed of Game Book
Fumito Ueda's long-awaited third game tells an unlikely tale of companionship between a small boy and the huge, fantastic beast Trico. Future Press is proud to present a very special companion book that illuminates how the story was created and reveals countless details about the inner workings and inspirations behind The Last Guardian's mysterious world.

The Beauty of an Art Book...
Ueda's distinctive visual flair is on full display as gen DESIGN and JAPAN Studio walk us through the adventure, answering our questions along the way. Beautiful sketches depicting the designers' intent, storyboard and screenshot comparisons of key moments, and never-before-seen illustrations are all carefully presented.

...The Depth you expect from Future Press
We've taken our strategy guide expertise and applied it to The Last Guardian in a manner befitting its many mysteries. For those seeking a deeper understanding of how the game works, our visual walkthrough highlights the game's narrative clues while exploring its most hidden corners.

A Worthy Companion
Striking a balance between visual splendor and technical detail, this book celebrates Ueda's singular vision and the dedicated team that helped bring it to life. The art and interviews contained within promise to reveal unexpected insights and fuel further discussions amongst fans everywhere.

The Neo Geo Anthology was just announced today on Kickstarter, and their already over 25% to the goal amount. I just got their N64 Anthology book last month(which was a Kickstarter last year), and it is very well done. This one looks to be more of the same.

I recommend the early bird "Pro Gear Edition", as it has all the books being offered, and is $10 off for being the early bird deal. Hurry though, as out of 250 of these being offered, they are at less than 100 of those left(it comes out to about $75 US shipped). Go, Go, Go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099439603/neogeo-anthology-history-and-complete-games-librar?ref=nav_search

The Neo Geo Anthology was just announced today on Kickstarter, and their already over 25% to the goal amount. I just got their N64 Anthology book last month(which was a Kickstarter last year), and it is very well done. This one looks to be more of the same.

I recommend the early bird "Pro Gear Edition", as it has all the books being offered, and is $10 off for being the early bird deal. Hurry though, as out of 250 of these being offered, they are at less than 100 of those left(it comes out to about $75 US shipped). Go, Go, Go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099439603/neogeo-anthology-history-and-complete-games-librar?ref=nav_search
I'm just going to wait until they put it on amazon like the last one and save a bit of $$$.

I'm just going to wait until they put it on amazon like the last one and save a bit of $$$.
The N64 book had a limited edition that was only available through the KS, and was limited to 500.

The special one offered here doesn't appear to be limited, so it may appear on Amazon as the standard one did for the last book. I'm in to gaming books of all shapes and sizes, so I don't mind supporting the project, especially if there is a chance I won't be able to get the "Pro Edition" by other means later on.

But for those who only want the standard, Amazon will probably be the best bet for pricing.

The N64 book had a limited edition that was only available through the KS, and was limited to 500.

The special one offered here doesn't appear to be limited, so it may appear on Amazon as the standard one did for the last book. I'm in to gaming books of all shapes and sizes, so I don't mind supporting the project, especially if there is a chance I won't be able to get the "Pro Edition" by other means later on.

But for those who only want the standard, Amazon will probably be the best bet for pricing.
Love my Neo Geo six slot cabinet and MVS collection as well as their N64 book that I got recently from Amazon. Bought the Pro edition as I totally agree with you!

Here is the link for the Limited edition. It's nice, but $55 over the current price on the regular edition for a cover of a sword and scabbard seems a bit much. May just go with the regular edition on this one.

Here is the link for the Limited edition. It's nice, but $55 over the current price on the regular edition for a cover of a sword and scabbard seems a bit much. May just go with the regular edition on this one.
My thoughts too. While the LE does look REALLY nice I can't quite justify the price. Plus when I have really nice books like that I usually am far too careful with them and I prefer getting stuff cheaper and used anyway then so as to not feel obligated to be overly cautious with them.

Same here. It's especially strange since Udon released the DS and DS2 design works books in hardcover. Maybe the Japanese one is also softcover?

Same here. It's especially strange since Udon released the DS and DS2 design works books in hardcover. Maybe the Japanese one is also softcover?
It is. And the JP Dark Souls was hard cover.

The only art book I remember being changed from JP soft cover to US hard cover was Bravely Second, but that was censored, so...

I got the N64 anthology from amazon for twenty-something dollars... I had no idea it was a kickstarter. Why would their amazon price be so much cheaper??

I got the N64 anthology from amazon for twenty-something dollars... I had no idea it was a kickstarter. Why would their amazon price be so much cheaper??
Almost every gaming book released is discounted greatly at Amazon and Barnes & Noble, but GS and BB normally sale at the suggested retail cost.

How or why that works out that way I have no clue. I would think that Amazon often sales these kind of items at cost(or maybe even at a loss), and then they hope buyers will get other items during the shopping experience.

It is. And the JP Dark Souls was hard cover.

The only art book I remember being changed from JP soft cover to US hard cover was Bravely Second, but that was censored, so...
Th Fire Emblem Awakening book was SC in Japan and HC in the US.

Udon's kind a strange publisher. For a long time, they pretty much only did softcovers with the occasional hardcover that would be a convention exclusive (or exclusive to Udon's online store), and those HCs would be twice the price of the SC ($80). But in the last couple years, they started re-releasing books in hardcover at multiple retailers at more reasonable prices. I had hoped that this meant they would continue to push for HCs, but it doesn't look like Bloodborne will even get an Udon exclusive HC. Bummer.

Udon's kind a strange publisher. For a long time, they pretty much only did softcovers with the occasional hardcover that would be a convention exclusive (or exclusive to Udon's online store), and those HCs would be twice the price of the SC ($80). But in the last couple years, they started re-releasing books in hardcover at multiple retailers at more reasonable prices. I had hoped that this meant they would continue to push for HCs, but it doesn't look like Bloodborne will even get an Udon exclusive HC. Bummer.
They might still have convention exclusive hard covers for Bloodborne.

Dont know if anyone noticed or cared but that Neo Geo Anthology book got hit with a intellectual dispute with SNK .  Sucks cause I wonder what that will mean for the book and their other attempts to translate their other books. 

Dont know if anyone noticed or cared but that Neo Geo Anthology book got hit with a intellectual dispute with SNK . Sucks cause I wonder what that will mean for the book and their other attempts to translate their other books.
Yeah, After I saw that I went to the Neo Geo forums and saw that they just "Announced" they had a book coming. It will likely be shit. Still canceled my kickstarter pledge. They should have made sure they had US rights on lock down before putting it up. If it ever comes out I'll just get the normal edition from Amazon for dirt cheap.

Dont know if anyone noticed or cared but that Neo Geo Anthology book got hit with a intellectual dispute with SNK . Sucks cause I wonder what that will mean for the book and their other attempts to translate their other books.
Yeah, After I saw that I went to the Neo Geo forums and saw that they just "Announced" they had a book coming. It will likely be shit. Still canceled my kickstarter pledge. They should have made sure they had US rights on lock down before putting it up. If it ever comes out I'll just get the normal edition from Amazon for dirt cheap.
They had approval, and SNK just pulled some shit. "N" did the same thing a few months ago for a SNES book made by someone else, where the creator had their approval, and last minute, they had issues.

That book was worked out, and even though this Neo-Geo book is from a different publisher, it should still happen(The SNES one took a few months to get sorted). The publisher has said they are working on the issue, so no worries for now. If it ever gets officially cancelled, a notice will be sent. For now, it's still in the works.

And their last book, which was N64 based was excellent, and well received, This Neo-Geo one looks even better. I hope they get it all worked out, as I'm looking forward to it.

They had approval, and SNK just pulled some shit. "N" did the same thing a few months ago for a SNES book made by someone else, where the creator had their approval, and last minute, they had issues.

That book was worked out, and even though this Neo-Geo book is from a different publisher, it should still happen(The SNES one took a few months to get sorted). The publisher has said they are working on the issue, so no worries for now. If it ever gets officially cancelled, a notice will be sent. For now, it's still in the works.

And their last book, which was N64 based was excellent, and well received, This Neo-Geo one looks even better. I hope they get it all worked out, as I'm looking forward to it.
What is this SNES book you speak of?

What is this SNES book you speak of?
My apologies, the SNES book that I said had problems with "N" was actually an NES book. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/nintendo-entertainment-system-famicom-a-visual-com

The same guys are doing a SNES book, it just hasn't officially started yet, but it will as soon as the NES one ships. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2146199819/nintendo-entertainment-system-famicom-a-visual-com/posts/1778568

I'm sorry, the link to the SNES book is only view able to backers of the NES one.

Sam Dyer who is making these books, is a part of Bitmap Books, and they've done some really nice books over the years(Amiga,C64, etc). They are UK based I believe, but they ship worldwide.

PSA: The Target B2G1 sale for media includes the Bloodborne artbook. Maybe others as well, but I didn't look for really anything else.

Edit: The sale includes steelbooks, anime, movies, tv series, books, etc.

PSA: The Target B2G1 sale for media includes the Bloodborne artbook. Maybe others as well, but I didn't look for really anything else.

Edit: The sale includes steelbooks, anime, movies, tv series, books, etc.
Good catch. Looks like Target carries a lot of art books online. I ended up placing 2 orders for 6 books. In general, prices were competitive with Amazon before the B2G1 discount, though there were some outliers like Assassin's Creed Visual History ($51 @ Target, $38 @ Amazon).

Awesome find with Target!

Ended up cancelling my Arts and Artifacts from Amazon and getting Horizon, Andromeda and Arts and Artifacts with one order. Then I also placed one for a sculpting anatomy book I have had my eye on, Art of Kubo and art of MGSV.

I wanted to get a bunch more and had it all ready to go but I had to narrow it down to just around $100 haha thanks elessar! : )

You're killing me, elessar. I guess the good thing is I cleared out a bit of Amazon wish listed backlog, and also got in the same preorders Broly did. Hopefully everything goes through all right.

bread's done
Back