The visual modding thread

CocheseUGA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
If you've joined the ranks of doing case mods et al to your 360, controllers, remotes or HD DVD, post the pics here. Thumbs only, per board rules. Even if they aren't yours, you could help some people get some ideas.

There's a few of us out there whose 360 doesn't qualify for warranty for whatever reason, and I'm sure the mods are interesting. Personally, my HD DVD drive never was in warranty, so I'm interested in at least painting it black to match my upcoming Elite.

So, post 'em up.

Here's a great HD DVD black paintjob:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=81185&d=1178339490

I'd love to see some console (visual) mods.

Cochese, could you post the thumbs from that link you posted? I don't have an account there or have forgotten what my log in is for AVS forum.

Oh, and does anyone know if MS sells replacement joysticks (just the part itself) for their controllers? I've got a 5th controller now after having bought an Elite and the original 360's controller has gotten quite worn down. Wanted to paint it as well. Any suggestions on that front? I tried painting an N64 controller a while back, but the paint would rub off eventually.

I know of at least one person who's painted their controllers here, but don't remember who it is. I think they did a Kill Bill motif.

WTF is up with my Gamercard?

I apparently last looked at Xbox.com on 1/1/1971.

I got a Black 360 controller with my elite, and it always pissed me off that the thumbsticks, d-pad and mic panel were grey, and the controller was not, in fact, as black as it could be.

Insert, halo 3 controller. I picked up one because it looked neat. Well, I noticed that the pieces that were grey on my black controller were black on my halo 3 controller.

Fast forward 2 weeks (waiting for special tools to come in) and I took both apart, and swapped pieces to make my special tactical all black xbox360 controller. I think it looks awesome, and it is why I made a thread asking if anybody knew where to get parts for controllers. Because I'm sure other people would want this. (i think that thread got merged into the mass that is the general 1 thread 360 faq.....)

Anyways, here are some pics.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Good job. Would've liked to have known where to get the parts myself, especially replacement thumbsticks (black, preferrably). A couple of my controllers are worn down smooth.

i have the controllers( halo, and elite) i just havent sat down to do that yet, ive been planning on it forever

I have an elite controller and I've been wondering why MS didn't do that. I've been thinking about doing that, but MS doesn't sell individual parts.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Good job. Would've liked to have known where to get the parts myself, especially replacement thumbsticks (black, preferrably). A couple of my controllers are worn down smooth.[/QUOTE]

I hate that. One option is to just swap the left and right thumbsticks since the left gets far more wear than the right.

Heh, looks like the S controller for the original xbox. :) Nice job though, I'd love to do this for mine.

Is it quite complicated to swap the sticks and d-pad?

once you get the 7 screws out of the bottom (1 is hiding under the sticker in the battery compartment) the holw lot comes apart in two pieces. Unplug the rumble motors from the board (snap snap) and you can float the board out of its spot on the top part of the controller. the thumbsticks just slide off the sensing units and the tricky part is the d-pad because it has 2 phillips (size 0 i think) screws and 2 snaps that hold it in from the back side. Pop those screws out and the tabs come back, and youre in business my friend. Rinse and repeat with the other controller.

Cool, glad everybody liked it. I certainly do.

Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric. $5.49 at Advance Auto Parts.

Couldn't be simpler to do, either. Tomorrow I tackle the add-on.

If you decide to do it, just take your time and think ahead. Don't paint on a cardboard surface, as you have the risk of peeling up some paper and having it stick to the surface (happened with the remote). Also, don't lay it on too thick, because even though it absorbs, you can still get run lines.

Dries to the touch in about 15 minutes.

Tag.

I want to do mine, but I just don't want to void my warranty. I might to my controllers though. I hate the white and all the dirt they show.

I would love to get a broken one, fix it and deck it out though.

It's a security torx bit. But you can break off the thing sticking in the middle using a flathead and use a regular torx screwdriver.

I recommend look at xboxscene.com (they have a TON of custom cases)

Nobody in their right mind would mod their Xbox, considering how it would void your warranty, and the 360 is a ticking timebomb without one.

I do have a spare faceplate that I painted white, though, and I'm wondering what to do with it.

In other news: I really want a shorty remote. Where can I get one cheap?

[quote name='PyroGamer']

In other news: I really want a shorty remote. Where can I get one cheap?[/quote]

EB/GS is where I picked up mine for I think 9.99.

On another note, I was looking to buy a second console on eBay that has the warranty seal broken (or not) and has a RROD problem. My question is, I have heard that it is possible to fix the problem by yourself if you are somewhat computer/electronically smart. Has anyone had any experience??

^ X-clamp fix, google it.

You can buy pre-packaged kits or get the parts at a hardware store if you can get the specific parts list.
From what i read it seems easy to do, but then again im pretty tech savvy.
My 360 is only 3 months old and still has warranty so i haven't had to look into that quite yet *knock on wood* ... come on falcon, prove your worth!

on topic i would love to case mod my xbox 360 ... theres even a solid gold color full case or a clear full case on this one site i forgot but it looks awesome.
I just havent the extra cash and time to do it now.
As for my warranty if i end up modding it, i'll just blowdry the sticker off so it wont be damaged.

Wow, looks hot man.
I really plan on modding 1-2 of my controllers soon, just like the custom look.

Got the HD add-on drying from the first coat right now. Looks really good, but I'll need to spray it again. Pics will come after that second coat dries.

Third coat drying now. I love teasing you about this.

I'll give it about an hour to thoroughly set before I start putting it back together.

The dye I used gives it a slightly darker and shinier appearance than the 360, but in an entertainment center it hopefully won't matter too much. If you seperate them, you hopefully won't be able to tell. Just don't sit them on top of each other.

That's a good price.

I didn't think to closely examine the chatpad before I dyed it, but I think it has the same texture it did before, because this isn't truly paint - it's made for vinyls and fabric. Someone can verify the chatpad doesn't quite have the same texture of the controllers for me. Definetly not sticky. Played about an hour of Mass Effect with it connected last night. Disassembly of the chatpad was very easy and straightfoward. No need for Torx, a small jeweler's screwdriver worked just fine.

I'm just about out of it, and it got through the remote, the chatpad and the HD player...barely. Hope to have it reassembled and pictures up before dinner.

If you want to keep your MS stickers, I'd recommend trying to peel them off before you dye. The remote ones came off fairly easy, and for the most part stuck back on well. I used painter's tape for the chatpad, and noticed minor bleed-through...not enough for me to be mad about, though. I'm not bothering to paint the back portion of the HD drive at this point, because the sticker is bigger than the inset it's placed in. I might at some point change my mind, though.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
CocheseUGA for the paint that you got, did it change the texture of the controller or did it make it sticky...you know how some paint does after it dries?[/quote]
its a dye product, so no.

all it is really doing ti changing the plastic color

I've done a lot of casmodding before with some of the last gen systems. I've done 4 slim PS2s and 2 dreamcasts and a bunch of controllers. Neither of which have stupid screws like the 360 controller has. I'm really interested in making a green controller with some cool LEDs in it.

Picture blowout below, I don't feel like making thumbs. As you can see, it is darker and glossier than the Elite, even though it's flat black. Seems like the Elite was made with a black that had grey in it. Still looks very sharp, though. There's a couple of places that got nicked while putting it back together, I'm not sure it could have been avoided. Alas, I'm out of dye. I'll go back after a while and touch up those two little places when I (maybe) do my controller. Need to focus on school for a few weeks, though.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

x-plorer_thumb.jpg

x-plorer.jpg
Painted my GHII controller with Mirage and gold auto paint. It's purple or green depending on how the light hits it (hard to get a good picture of the color change).

I want to x-clamp and do a case/fan mod on a 360 :(

Looks pretty bad ass... I am hoping to find a broken 360 on ebay this week for cheap and then mod the hell out of it.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Guess I was expecting a bit more of a response.[/quote]

we're CAGs, we spend time finding deals, not modding :bouncy:
the scene mods are pretty sick, tho.

Got my torx driver...

So I have my Halo 3 XBOX360 and a 120GB HDD...I to to thinking, is it possible to open up the hard drive without any damage so I could swap out the Halo 3 HDD color scheme with my 120GB HDD?

On another note, I have a GHIII Sex Pistols faceplate that I plan on painting as well...just need to find a good enough design and some free time.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Got my torx driver...

So I have my Halo 3 XBOX360 and a 120GB HDD...I to to thinking, is it possible to open up the hard drive without any damage so I could swap out the Halo 3 HDD color scheme with my 120GB HDD?

[/QUOTE]

I did this and didn't damage anything at all. Everything works fine.

[quote name='Radioactive_Man']I did this and didn't damage anything at all. Everything works fine.[/quote]

Sweet...thanks for the info...I'll defiantely have to turn my 120 HDD into the Halo 3 HDD.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Bump up to the top.

Did my shorty remote as a test, and went ahead and did the chatpad.

[/quote]

why isn't there a black chat pad sold? never made sense to me.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Picture blowout below, I don't feel like making thumbs. As you can see, it is darker and glossier than the Elite, even though it's flat black. Seems like the Elite was made with a black that had grey in it. Still looks very sharp, though. There's a couple of places that got nicked while putting it back together, I'm not sure it could have been avoided. Alas, I'm out of dye. I'll go back after a while and touch up those two little places when I (maybe) do my controller. Need to focus on school for a few weeks, though.

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01435.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01431.jpg
[/quote]

Mezzanine is the shit bro.... The mod looks good, I really wanna do mine but probably won't. I don't have a knack for the handy stuff.

[quote name='DestroVega']Mezzanine is the shit bro.... The mod looks good, I really wanna do mine but probably won't. I don't have a knack for the handy stuff.[/QUOTE]

The hardest part is being patient. Use long sprays, and use several 'coats.' If you miss a spot, you can always get it later. Overspray (clumps, runs) can't be easily fixed.

bread's done
Back