The visual modding thread

Well just finished up my 360 for a second time. Had done it a metallic blackish silver last year about this time and this past week I stripped it back down and resprayed it. This time instead of taking all the extra time with the faceplate I went ahead and bought one.

I also did one wired controller.

So here it is...

100_1149.jpg

100_1153.jpg

100_1152.jpg

P.S. Once I find my black-light I'll put up another picture since this paint is a special designed paint that glows under UV light.

[quote name='mvp828']Well just finished up my 360 for a second time. Had done it a metallic blackish silver last year about this time and this past week I stripped it back down and resprayed it. This time instead of taking all the extra time with the faceplate I went ahead and bought one.

I also did one wired controller.

So here it is...

100_1149.jpg

100_1153.jpg

100_1152.jpg

P.S. Once I find my black-light I'll put up another picture since this paint is a special designed paint that glows under UV light.[/quote]

That's sick! :applause:

[quote name='Wolve11']I can appreciate the work that went into it, but personally I'm not a fan of those colors.

Here's two 360s that I put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhQVTdhLV9M

They aren't completely custom since they are pre-made cases and fans etc, but I still like em. First video is my personal one, second video is one that I did for a customer.[/quote]

Understandable about the color preference. I originally was going to go with Red and Black to mimic the Resident Evil 5 360, and then I seen the Fluorescent Orange and had to get it.

As for that blue one, that is badass... I had started the video and didn't bother to see how long it was. Walked away and came back to see that it fuckin' flashed!!!! In the future I may be PM'ing you about that, because that is sweet.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's sick! :applause:[/quote]

Thanks Linkin, I had actually thought about putting a little carbon fiber vinyl on the edges to tie it in a little more. I am still debating it, I guess we'll see.

Short story about it, but I had finished it (or so I thought) and when it was drying a screwdriver fell of a work bench and took a chip out. I was so pissed had to take it back down a little and then respray.

Quick question for some of you that have modded... Is there any place to buy white cases for a fairly reasonable price? I am trying to get back in custom painting various things, and I have had a few people ask me to do 360 cases for them for cost+ $15-40.

[quote name='mvp828']
As for that blue one, that is badass... I had started the video and didn't bother to see how long it was. Walked away and came back to see that it fuckin' flashed!!!! In the future I may be PM'ing you about that, because that is sweet.

Is there any place to buy white cases for a fairly reasonable price? I am trying to get back in custom painting various things, and I have had a few people ask me to do 360 cases for them for cost+ $15-40.[/quote]

To pulse you'll need the Pulse Vu 2x chip.

Cases you can get on eBay for fairly cheap.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Are whisper fan max a good idea to get?[/quote]

Hell yea, pushing out air at 12v instead of 5v makes a HUGE difference. Normally the heatsinks are almost burning hot to the touch after 5 minutes of playing with the case open, but with a Whisper Max fan I've had my 360 on for 8 hours straight and when I touch the heat sinks they are still cool to the touch.
Its one of the best performance mods I've seen for them.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']What kind of paint did you use MVP? How many coats?[/quote]

I am not 100% sure, but I think this was the primer that I used:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=148&sid=7980830

NOTE: I only used primer because of the fact that my system was previously a silver metallic color.

If you do spray primer I would suggest wet sanding with 400 very lightly if there are any defects.

This is the exact product I used for the orange:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=105

I then used this clear enamel:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=166

Procedure:

Primer

Spray 1 or 2 light coats of white primer (so light that it will be dry within 30 seconds after application)
Spray a wet coat of white primer so that it has a slight glossy look to it.

(I sprayed at night so that it was able to cure overnight)

Base

Spray 1 coat very light so that you can still see the primer
(Again it should be light enough so that it is dry within a minute of spraying)
Spray a second light coat (same as above)
Spray a third wet coat

Clear
If you want your final product to be glossy do 1 light and 1 wet
If you want it a little more flat do 2 light

Important Things

Take into consideration your base and primer mixture... Light with Light/Dark with Dark
Clear is ESSENTIAL... If you don't add clear your finish will definitely be subject to scratches and the finish will be sticky and wear off.
Take into consideration where you are spraying. I was spraying in my garage which was in the 40s, so it is important to keep your items at a good temp (55-75 is what I prefer).

Any additional questions feel free to PM or ask me.

EDIT: Note: I usually have the case intact while I am spraying, I prefer it this way that way you are able to do all sprays at the same time. However, I suppose laying both panels flat would work, but it would be harder to get a clean even spray on the edges (which are most likely to scratch/scuff).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mvp828']
Procedure:

Primer

Spray 1 or 2 light coats of white primer (so light that it will be dry within 30 seconds after application)
Spray a wet coat of white primer so that it has a slight glossy look to it.

(I sprayed at night so that it was able to cure overnight)

Base

Spray 1 coat very light so that you can still see the primer
(Again it should be light enough so that it is dry within a minute of spraying)
Spray a second light coat (same as above)
Spray a third wet coat

Clear
If you want your final product to be glossy do 1 light and 1 wet
If you want it a little more flat do 2 light

Important Things

Take into consideration your base and primer mixture... Light with Light/Dark with Dark
Clear is ESSENTIAL... If you don't add clear your finish will definitely be subject to scratches and the finish will be sticky and wear off.
Take into consideration where you are spraying. I was spraying in my garage which was in the 40s, so it is important to keep your items at a good temp (55-75 is what I prefer).

Any additional questions feel free to PM or ask me.[/quote]

I have a question....What do you mean by "wet" coat? Also, If I plan on changing the color of my 360 accessories, since they are alrady white, a primer is not necessarily needed, correct?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I have a question....What do you mean by "wet" coat? Also, If I plan on changing the color of my 360 accessories, since they are alrady white, a primer is not necessarily needed, correct?[/quote]

By "wet" I mean a heavier coat that when applied is shiny until dry. Let a wet coat sit for 20-30 mins at least.

My usual spray patterns for "dry" and "wet" is something like this:

"Dry" - 2-3 quick passing coats

"Wet" - 2 slow passing coats

It really depends on what color you are going to paint the accessories. It really isn't needed at all unless the accessory is not a default white to begin with, but primer can help the final color in the long run.

I personally would advise primer on controllers though as they also help adhesion. I just learned this the hard way with my controller. I didn't use any primer on it, and I noticed that because of the basic texture of the controller to begin with, the paint is more subject to chips, scratches, fading, etc.

[quote name='mvp828']By "wet" I mean a heavier coat that when applied is shiny until dry. Let a wet coat sit for 20-30 mins at least.

My usual spray patterns for "dry" and "wet" is something like this:

"Dry" - 2-3 quick passing coats

"Wet" - 2 slow passing coats

It really depends on what color you are going to paint the accessories. It really isn't needed at all unless the accessory is not a default white to begin with, but primer can help the final color in the long run.

I personally would advise primer on controllers though as they also help adhesion. I just learned this the hard way with my controller. I didn't use any primer on it, and I noticed that because of the basic texture of the controller to begin with, the paint is more subject to chips, scratches, fading, etc.[/quote]

I agree, you absolutely want to use primer on your accessories, especially controllers since they get the most physical usage. This is very important or you'll end up with the paint chipping off in your hand, especially if you have sweaty hands.

EDIT: Note: I usually have the case intact while I am spraying, I prefer it this way that way you are able to do all sprays at the same time. However, I suppose laying both panels flat would work, but it would be harder to get a clean even spray on the edges (which are most likely to scratch/scuff).

I just added the above to my post a few up because I figured it would possibly be a question for anyone in the future who tries to paint the system. Again, it is not necessary to do it like I said, but I think you will end up with a better finish that way.

Think I'll try and paint a 360 controller as a mini project. I think it was being discussed in another thread, or I can't find it in this one, but what kind of screwdriver do I need for the 360? Also, any places to get replacement analog sticks. If I'm gonna take it apart, might as well get new ones. The current ones are worn smooth.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Think I'll try and paint a 360 controller as a mini project. I think it was being discussed in another thread, or I can't find it in this one, but what kind of screwdriver do I need for the 360? Also, any places to get replacement analog sticks. If I'm gonna take it apart, might as well get new ones. The current ones are worn smooth.[/quote]

Here you go...

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=73_97

I like llama for parts, also another one I found last night was:

http://www.access-gaming.com/agstore/pc/home.asp

The second is more for internal and case mods.

[quote name='mvp828']Here you go...

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=73_97

I like llama for parts, also another one I found last night was:

http://www.access-gaming.com/agstore/pc/home.asp

The second is more for internal and case mods.[/quote]

If you want parts, I'm an official reseller of XCM and Talismoon myself. If you want the XCM Smooth Black controller shell or the Sexy Red shell I can do those for $30 shipped. I only have a few of those left though.

I also have a couple Rapid Fire Lite Gear and one Pro. I was going to do it on some controllers myself, but I just never had the time or patience.

I recommend the Whisper Max fan. It pushes out the most air and has sweet LEDs that can be swapped out (blue, green or red).
It has two settings (standard 5v mode or the noisier 12v super mode) I keep mine on 12v all the time really cause the sound of the fan doesn't bother me and it keeps my 360 cold after hours of playing.
I sell both the Whisper Max and Core Cooler v2s for $30 each.

Have any of you guys used the Testors brand spray paint? I've used that brand before on plane models without using primer. Do you think it would stick as long as I put a clear coat finish on top of it?

Also saw a Krylon brand spray specifically for plastic. Should I just go with the Rust-O-Leum MVP suggested? I really liked the colors the Testors brand had available ("metallic blue and red") since they're designed for spray painting model cars.

I've got a simple design in mind right now for my controller as my first visual mod. Waiting on the Torx driver to come in.

Finally, would changing the color of the rings around the Xbox button be difficult/possible for someone with no experience in soldering/whatever else is involved. Can I even make that yellow instead of the green?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Have any of you guys used the Testors brand spray paint? I've used that brand before on plane models without using primer. Do you think it would stick as long as I put a clear coat finish on top of it?

Also saw a Krylon brand spray specifically for plastic. Should I just go with the Rust-O-Leum MVP suggested? I really liked the colors the Testors brand had available ("metallic blue and red") since they're designed for spray painting model cars.

I've got a simple design in mind right now for my controller as my first visual mod. Waiting on the Torx driver to come in.

Finally, would changing the color of the rings around the Xbox button be difficult/possible for someone with no experience in soldering/whatever else is involved. Can I even make that yellow instead of the green?[/quote]

I've got a few current projects going on and have used Testors paint. It works really nice and I would definitely recommend it.
As for the ring of lights. It is definitely a doable project but it requires a lot of precision since it is so small. Fortunately I know a guy who does it for only $10 so normally I get the lights from him since it is just easier to pay him $10 than for me to spend all that time working on it.

EDIT: I actually painted a case metallic blue using Testor's paint ;)

[quote name='Wolve11']I've got a few current projects going on and have used Testors paint. It works really nice and I would definitely recommend it.
As for the ring of lights. It is definitely a doable project but it requires a lot of precision since it is so small. Fortunately I know a guy who does it for only $10 so normally I get the lights from him since it is just easier to pay him $10 than for me to spend all that time working on it.

EDIT: I actually painted a case metallic blue using Testor's paint ;)[/quote]Did you still use primer or applied it directly on the plastic and had clear coat for protection?

Put down the first coat of color after primer on my controller. I have a few questions:

1) Spray paint dripped a bit and threw some minor paint globs on some pieces. How would suggest I get it off without ruining what's there already? Should I just wait for it to dry up and sand it off?

2) How would you suggest getting paint into the screwholes? Since I'm using spray paint, I was thinking of getting a Q-tip wet with the paint and rubbing it in there. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick question again before I start spraying my controller...

here is my primer: http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=98
here is the color I will be using (orange): http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24

since the color says "gloss protective enamel", do I need to add/buy a glossy spray? I plan on doing a Orange and white color scheme. Front and back of shell will be orange, the start, select, triggers, R and L buttons will be white. I was also thinking about spraying the d pad and analog sticks white. I bought cheapo white paint (97 cents and Home Depot), Prime them, spray color, and adding a clear enamel would be the idea thing to do for the d pad and analog sticks? Also thinking about painting the grey part (where you plug in the headset) of the controller white.

Or...should I go with a orange and grey color scheme....ahhh, I can't decide.

--edit--

crap, I totally forgot that I need a security T8 screwdriver to open the thing up. I remember Home Depot didn't have any (any security ones).

I actually just started painting my controller earlier today. I used the Krylon Fusion instead of the Rustoleum brand and the paint's sticking on tnere quite nicely. Dries quick, too.

I also tried painting the D-pad and analog sticks. It was fairly easy making sure I got equal coverage on the D-pad, but the analogs were a bit more difficult to get 100% coverage. Just remember...light coats. I'm planning to spray it with the Gloss Clear Enamel that MVP posted above. Hopefully, that helps kep the paint on there.

I'm also worried having painted the pad and the analog sticks. The latter was really a pain to color, especially not having the right tools. Using just spray paint, it's hard to get full coverage. I'll let you know how it comes together in a few days. Something to keep in mind is that if you paint the sticks. They might come off rubbing on the controller when you're moving the sticks.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Just a quick question again before I start spraying my controller...

here is my primer: http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=98
here is the color I will be using (orange): http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24

since the color says "gloss protective enamel", do I need to add/buy a glossy spray? I plan on doing a Orange and white color scheme. Front and back of shell will be orange, the start, select, triggers, R and L buttons will be white. I was also thinking about spraying the d pad and analog sticks white. I bought cheapo white paint (97 cents and Home Depot), Prime them, spray color, and adding a clear enamel would be the idea thing to do for the d pad and analog sticks? Also thinking about painting the grey part (where you plug in the headset) of the controller white.

Or...should I go with a orange and grey color scheme....ahhh, I can't decide.

--edit--

crap, I totally forgot that I need a security T8 screwdriver to open the thing up. I remember Home Depot didn't have any (any security ones).[/quote]

I would still suggest using a Clear as it can only help you out. There is really two ways of looking at it.

1) You don't use it and it wears off... Live, learn and respray.
or
2) Spray clear and don't worry about it

I really just depends on whether or not you mind having to do it again. I say use a clear, because just as any vehicle, clear protects the base. The clear itself will wear away gradually, but will still uphold better than the base color.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I actually just started painting my controller earlier today. I used the Krylon Fusion instead of the Rustoleum brand and the paint's sticking on tnere quite nicely. Dries quick, too.[/quote]

Krylon Fusion is a very good paint to use. I have used that on a few cases that I have done for other people.

sorry i didn't get back to your question earlier, but I assume you have it figured out by now.

I don't think that painting the joysticks was a good idea. You could've just ordered a different color set (although I know they only come in grey or black for now, or you can use the Playstation sticks). I definitely think the paint will be coming off those.
I think using primer is a must on everything. Before I prime it though I use soft sandpaper to smoothen the surface (easier to do on full cases). The sandpaper makes it a lot smoother to begin with and the paint goes on easier.

Here's my latest mod for a customer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwXpHNjQOXo

Just put on a clear coat for the controller and now waiting for it to dry. I ran into a few problems during this little project...

-spraying the analog sticks were a pain and they look like crap now. It looks very uneven, I'm debating if I should just get the white paint off all together.

-On one side of the shell it looked a little uneven (looks like a liquid blob on the side and the bottom of the blob, nothing). Sprayed the bottom a bit, didn't quite fix it. Maybe I will get it right next time.

-When I was spraying primer, some of dried on my glove and I accidentally touched the controller and so there is a white chunk of primer on one side of the controller. Having no way to pick it off. I just sprayed another coat on, is that what you guys would do if that happened?

-i think I inhaled a bit too much on the fumes (did the painting in the garage, stupid rainy day)

Only good thing that came out of this was the dpad looks pretty even, but we will see when I put it back together.

Analog sticks get worn down so much I don't see any kind of paint sticking to that permanently. I would just stick with grey or black imo. Or since you already did it, stick with it and report what happens :p

ZerotypeX, after getting the primer on the controller, I would have just sanded it once it dried with 40 Grit. I usually use a little 400 for any defect/bump due to the primer.

Yeah, I sanded as well when I saw some imperfections. That glob you got at the edge was probably from putting on too thick of a coat. It ran down and pooled up at the edge. I'm still waiting for my enamel paint to completely dry. I did a test spray of clear coat on top of the painted Start/Back buttons and it cracked up on me and looked weird. Seems to have dried normally (at least on the top of the button). Anyone else have that happen? Then again it was around 55 when I was painting, probably colder, though I was in the garage.

I pretty much screwed up this mod job. I go get my controller shell that I thought had dried by now (12 hrs since clear coat). Everything looks fine, put the controller back together and notice a bunch of hand prints on the controller. I am guessing it is not dry. To make matters worse, I forgot to tape off the holes (even though I bought painters tape #-o). Some of the buttons sticks now.

DSC04541b.jpg

From a far it looks fine, but closer inspection, hand, finger prints over the whole shell.

I think I put on really heavy coats. Guess I gotta go buy some paint thinner/remover and do this whole thing again.

plus...it looks like my camera is dying....argg...:bomb:

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I pretty much screwed up this mod job. I go get my controller shell that I thought had dried by now (12 hrs since clear coat). Everything looks fine, put the controller back together and notice a bunch of hand prints on the controller. I am guessing it is not dry. To make matters worse, I forgot to tape off the holes (even though I bought painters tape #-o). Some of the buttons sticks now.

From a far it looks fine, but closer inspection, hand, finger prints over the whole shell.

I think I put on really heavy coats. Guess I gotta go buy some paint thinner/remover and do this whole thing again.

plus...it looks like my camera is dying....argg...:bomb:[/quote]

Damn dude, that looks really bad. No offense but you are creating the exact same thing as this:
The Sexy Red Controller shell....
if that's what you want why don't you just get that instead of painting it yourself?
D_pad_Red_1.jpg

Nice. How close to the RE5 LE red is that paint? I really wanna do my HD-DVD player (I'll probably do it black though) along with the remote.

[quote name='Wolve11']Damn dude, that looks really bad. No offense but you are creating the exact same thing as this:
The Sexy Red Controller shell....
if that's what you want why don't you just get that instead of painting it yourself?
*red controller pic
[/quote]

Yea, I know. Just wanted a DIY project to keep me busy over spring break. It was my first time modding a 360 controller.

Just sorta want to salvage this.

Do you sell shells wolve?

A few posts up, he said he had some of that red one he linked for $30 shipped.

It does look like you had some pretty thick coats on there. Best bet would probably just find a place to get cheap shells and do that again. Not sure if there's any way to salvage that and still have the end result look half-way decent. At least it's a good learning experience for the next one.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']A few posts up, he said he had some of that red one he linked for $30 shipped.

It does look like you had some pretty thick coats on there. Best bet would probably just find a place to get cheap shells and do that again. Not sure if there's any way to salvage that and still have the end result look half-way decent. At least it's a good learning experience for the next one.[/quote]

Indeed, hopefully, the next time I attempt painting again, it will turn out decent

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Yea, I know. Just wanted a DIY project to keep me busy over spring break. It was my first time modding a 360 controller.

Just sorta want to salvage this.

Do you sell shells wolve?[/quote]

Yea I understand man. I've started a few more case projects, but I won't be finishing up on those anytime soon now.

I do sell the controller shells as a matter of fact. I have that red one and the sleek black controller for now. I sell those for $30. I also have Rapid Fire kits available where you just have to put it together. I have those in sleek black and one in Chrome. The chrome one has a tilt board inside as well which can be turned on and off.

bread's done
Back