The Wii VC Games Thread - (5/21 Donkey Kong Country2, Blazing Lazers, Streets Rage 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mr ryles']Water levels always suck, no matter what game.

Worst levels in mario, water levels.
worst levels in DKC, water levels.
worst temples in Zelda, Water temples.[/quote]

This post is awesome. I have been working on an essay named "Water Levels Suck" for a long time. I've never been able to flesh it out completely, but I agree with you for the most part. Water levels, especially in platformers, suck.

I have liked most of the water temples in Zelda though.

I downloaded Streets of Rage and Kid Icarus yesterday. I forget how awesome the music is in Streets, especially on the audio-limited Genesis. Kid Icarus I never played before. I think it's inferior to the original Metroid, and it's way too easy to die. I don't believe either games save for you, which is annoying. Even PSP emulation had a "save state" option for all games.

Still tempted by Toejam, Military Madness, and Kirby (all of which I've played in the past) as well as Contra 3, but I haven't played more than an hour of any VC game so far.

[quote name='lebowsky']This post is awesome. I have been working on an essay named "Water Levels Suck" for a long time. I've never been able to flesh it out completely, but I agree with you for the most part. Water levels, especially in platformers, suck.

I have liked most of the water temples in Zelda though.[/quote]
I really liked Jolly Roger Bay, but that probably had to do with the music. :D

I don't mind water levels that much, but I hate desert levels.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I downloaded Streets of Rage and Kid Icarus yesterday. I forget how awesome the music is in Streets, especially on the audio-limited Genesis. Kid Icarus I never played before. I think it's inferior to the original Metroid, and it's way too easy to die. I don't believe either games save for you, which is annoying. Even PSP emulation had a "save state" option for all games.

Still tempted by Toejam, Military Madness, and Kirby (all of which I've played in the past) as well as Contra 3, but I haven't played more than an hour of any VC game so far.[/quote]

Kid Icarus has save codes that you are given when you die but all VC games create a save state if you hit the "home" button and go back to the Wii menu during VC play.

Thanks OP. Too bad I can't dload any VC games while Im at college. For some reason I can't get a wireless connection to work in the dorms :(

[quote name='Staind204']Thanks OP. Too bad I can't dload any VC games while Im at college. For some reason I can't get a wireless connection to work in the dorms :([/QUOTE]

Check the CAG FAQ, you might need to pick a different channel for your router. You can also pick up the Nintendo USB Ethernet jack, or pick up one of the ones that work with the Wii if you need a wired connection.

Good luck.

[quote name='lilboo'] I gotta say..in regards to Kirby's Adventure. The first game I ever played was Kirby Superstar, and then fell in love with it.[/quote]

Same here- Kirby Superstar for the SNES was my first Kirby game, followed by Nightmare in Dreamland 2, or something like that, for the SNES as well.

I also played Kirby 64, which was absolutely great, but other than that I don't think I've played any other. I can't seem to track down either of the GBA Kirbys for a decent price, and I'm waiting for Squeak Squad to drop... or something.

I'm looking forward to more Kirby VC releases, as I love the games and would love to get a good lot of them all on my Wii at once.

New games rated by the ESRB, some real winners in here from Konami (seriously):

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Castlevania
Gradius III
TMNT (referenced a few posts above, coincidentally)

Definitely getting Zombies, my only playtime with that was a rental long ago. I'm happy to see TMNT in there. I wasn't sure how the licensing was going to work out since Ubisoft is doing the new Turtles game.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13503

[quote name='botticus']New games rated by the ESRB, some real winners in here (seriously):

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Castlevania
Gradius III

Definitely getting Zombies, my only playtime with that was a rental long ago. I'm happy to see TMNT in there. I wasn't sure how the licensing was going to work out since Ubisoft is doing the new Turtles game.[/QUOTE]

if only they could make Zombies with online multiplayer I would be in heaven

[quote name='botticus']New games rated by the ESRB, some real winners in here from Konami (seriously):

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Castlevania
Gradius III

Definitely getting Zombies, my only playtime with that was a rental long ago. I'm happy to see TMNT in there. I wasn't sure how the licensing was going to work out since Ubisoft is doing the new Turtles game.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13503[/quote]Ugh, I hated that TMNT. So freaking hard. And I loved the Turtles as a kid but I only got through the dam a few times, and always died on the rooftops. Piece of crap. ;)

[quote name='botticus']New games rated by the ESRB, some real winners in here from Konami (seriously):

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Castlevania
Gradius III

[/quote]

the first turtles game is such crap. but the implications are great, maybe it means well see more titles from companies that not longer "own" the license to an IP.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Castlevania
Gradius III

http://gonintendo.com/?p=13503[/QUOTE]

Zombies! I totally begged for that in the last VC thread. I'm so excited to hear it's on the horizon. What a fucking perfect array of titles they've lined up so far.

Just when I thought I had purchased all available (or forthcoming) titles I wanted too. Well, I would have gotten Ocarina of Time too, but other than that.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Same here- Kirby Superstar for the SNES was my first Kirby game[/quote]

Man, i'm so waiting for that and Super Metroid.
These lamer weeks for VC just make me upset waiting for something GOOD.

Zombies would be damn great as well.
I remember playing the hell out of that. I'm going to be EXTREMELY selective in my VC titles, and I have to admit Zombies would be on my list.

[quote name='CosmosTheMouse']Man, i'm so waiting for that and Super Metroid.
These lamer weeks for VC just make me upset waiting for something GOOD.

Zombies would be damn great as well.
I remember playing the hell out of that. I'm going to be EXTREMELY selective in my VC titles, and I have to admit Zombies would be on my list.[/quote]

Yeah, Zombies is quite awesome. I used to it own it on the Genesis.

Nice signature, by the way. Hopefully the DS version is decent.

The VC has been right solid for the past month+, churning out at least one quality title (for at least most people) per week.

Here's hoping they keep it that way. But any more than that and I'll go broke.

So.. I think we are just missing a Star Fox and Metroid game now?

Seriously.. I think all of the major Nintendo franchises have been released thus far..except them.

Next monday, I call dibs on Metroid or Super Metroid. Hopefully it's Star Fox or Start Fox 64!!

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']the first turtles game is such crap. but the implications are great, maybe it means well see more titles from companies that not longer "own" the license to an IP.[/quote]

This means nothing, Konami still owns the rights to the TMNT license for Video Games.

[quote name='spmahn']This means nothing, Konami still owns the rights to the TMNT license for Video Games.[/quote]How is Ubisoft doing the new game? I don't doubt you, since it'd be weird for this to show up any other way, but did they farm out the license or somethin?

[quote name='lilboo']Next monday, I call dibs on Metroid or Super Metroid. Hopefully it's Star Fox or Start Fox 64!![/quote]

I swear if Super Metroid comes next monday i'll soil myself.
:drool:

[quote name='botticus']How is Ubisoft doing the new game? I don't doubt you, since it'd be weird for this to show up any other way, but did they farm out the license or somethin?[/quote]

I believe that Ubisoft only owns the license for the CGI movie version of the game and not the cartoon version (which is Konami). Think of it like the Lego Star Wars license being separate from the regular Star Wars games.

[quote name='botticus']How is Ubisoft doing the new game? I don't doubt you, since it'd be weird for this to show up any other way, but did they farm out the license or somethin?[/quote]
It's based on the new movie that's coming out next month (singleplayer only game from what I hear). Konami still owns the rights to games based on the TV shows.

[quote name='Kaijufan']OP you should add Beetle Adventure Racing (N64) to the list of upcoming games since it was rated by the ESRB.[/quote]

I have to wonder why N64 games and many SNES/Genesis games need to be rated by the ESRB when they already have been rated. Do they just need to be listed on the Wii list?

After looking through the ESRB list this evening, there are a lot of games that were rated a few months ago (namely BAR and SMRPG) that don't show up in the list anymore.

[quote name='supershammy']I have to wonder why N64 games and many SNES/Genesis games need to be rated by the ESRB when they already have been rated. Do they just need to be listed on the Wii list?[/quote]
Good question. It's possible that that aren't actually re-rated, just updated included in the Wii listing since VC games are (for the most part) identical to the original releases.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Good question. It's possible that that aren't actually re-rated, just updated included in the Wii listing since VC games are (for the most part) identical to the original releases.[/quote]
They probably need to be re-rated because A) they're being rereleased, so they need to be rated again and B) many descriptors, ratings, and the standards for rating games have changed over the years, so making sure these games have the correct rating all around is a good idea.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They probably need to be re-rated because A) they're being rereleased, so they need to be rated again and B) many descriptors, ratings, and the standards for rating games have changed over the years, so making sure these games have the correct rating all around is a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, Last thing Nintendo needs is to recieve grief for circumventing the ESRB process. Besides all they have to do is send in a video of a play testor showing off the "worst" parts of a game and accept whatever rating they get sent.

[quote name='botticus']After looking through the ESRB list this evening, there are a lot of games that were rated a few months ago (namely BAR and SMRPG) that don't show up in the list anymore.[/QUOTE]

If you recall though, things like Vice City Stories for PS2 was rated by the ESRB and quickly taken off the list only to show up again in real form.

ESRB just likes to take stuff down, it seems.

Reality's Fringe;2687262 said:
How's the emulation on DKC? It's one of my top SNES games, and if it's not like the original I'll be crushed.

...well, not crushed, but damn disappointed.

Seems perfect to me.

[quote name='Legolas813']Does DKC on the VC have three save slots, like on the GBA?[/quote]

Yes it does.

I don't understand all of the hate that Kage gets. I used to play this game as a kid, and it was pretty fun. Jumping from treetop to treetop had a certain visceral thrill, and it wasn't any less controllable than most NES games.

New Rumored Titles as of 2/21

NES - Castlevania
NES- Pac-Man
NES - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
SNES - Gradius III
SNES - Zombies ate my Neighbors (Unknown if SNES or GEN)
N64 - Beetle Adventure Racing
N64- Legend of the Mystic Ninja (Goeman)
GEN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
GEN - Sonic Spinball
GEN - Zombies ate my Neighbors (Unknown if SNES or GEN)
TG16 - Dragons Curse

[quote name='gizmogc']Updated...someone PM a mod and ask to take down the old and sticky this.[/quote]

in the time you took to type that post you could have done it yourself

You know what I was thinking of? It's a shame it would technically cost $8, and i already bought it for $5 on XBLA. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the SNES version of "Ms Pacman" pretty awesome? It had a boost button to make her fat ass go faster for a few seconds?

Also.. Super Paperboy would make me very happy...That game was greaaaat!

On another note, for those of you who downloaded Kirby's Adventure (good for you!), how many worlds are there? I was playing it, and I had a feeling by the time I got to the world 5 boss, it would of been dedede (sp?), but it wasn't. Now I'm on world 6. So how many are there? I guess I had that feeling "This is an NES title, so it's only like 5 worlds."

Funny thing is, like I said earlier, Kirby Superstar was my first Kirby game (mmm, great game!!) but it's amazing how the gameplay, music, enemies, concept, has all stayed the same to this day. Another good thing is, I never realized how similiar Kirby's Adventure is to Superstar..well, I SHOULD say how Kirby Superstar is a pretty much really good updated version of Kirby's Adventure!

In conclusion:

[quote name='lilboo']You know what I was thinking of? It's a shame it would technically cost $8, and i already bought it for $5 on XBLA. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the SNES version of "Ms Pacman" pretty awesome? It had a boost button to make her fat ass go faster for a few seconds?

Also.. Super Paperboy would make me very happy...That game was greaaaat!

On another note, for those of you who downloaded Kirby's Adventure (good for you!), how many worlds are there? I was playing it, and I had a feeling by the time I got to the world 5 boss, it would of been dedede (sp?), but it wasn't. Now I'm on world 6. So how many are there? I guess I had that feeling "This is an NES title, so it's only like 5 worlds."

Funny thing is, like I said earlier, Kirby Superstar was my first Kirby game (mmm, great game!!) but it's amazing how the gameplay, music, enemies, concept, has all stayed the same to this day. Another good thing is, I never realized how similiar Kirby's Adventure is to Superstar..well, I SHOULD say how Kirby Superstar is a pretty much really good updated version of Kirby's Adventure!

In conclusion:

[quote name='Purple Flames']Seems perfect to me.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Methinks I'll download it right quick. Now the wait for DKC 2 begins (the best in the series)

[quote name='gizmogc']New Rumored Titles as of 2/21

NES - Castlevania
NES- Pac-Man
NES - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
SNES - Gradius III
SNES - Zombies ate my Neighbors (Unknown if SNES or GEN)
N64 - Beetle Adventure Racing
N64- Legend of the Mystic Ninja (Goeman)
GEN - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
GEN - Sonic Spinball
GEN - Zombies ate my Neighbors (Unknown if SNES or GEN)
TG16 - Dragons Curse[/QUOTE]

MOTHERfuckING GOEMON! That shit is the HAWT fire.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors will be the SNES version... I'd be shocked if it was the Genesis one since it seems Sega is cock blocking anyone from putting a Genesis game out other than their own stuff.

[quote name='evilmax17']Mystical Ninja is a must buy for me, it was my favorite N64 game. POOOLLAASSSSSUUUMAAHHHHHH!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Let's not forget one of the greatest endgame cinemas ever : "Gorgeous My Stage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back