The Witcher:Enhanced Director's Cut $4.99 GOG.com DRM-Free

walkonshadows

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
Been waiting for this to drop on Steam, but for 50% off and just $5 and DRM-Free, I think it's a deal. SteamPrices.com says it's never dropped past $2.49.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher

Includes the following bonus content:

Game Manual
18 Wallpapers
Game Guide
2 Maps
Music Inspired By The Witcher
Soundtrack
26 Avatars
Artbook
The Witcher Calender
The Witcher Story

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man... The game looks great and I like GOG.com... but I doubt my PC will run it.

I've been holding out for the Xbox 360 version of Witcher 2.

Buuuuuut... I suppose I could buy this and just hold onto it and then some day play it when I get a better PC.

[quote name='boylover']Oh man... The game looks great and I like GOG.com... but I doubt my PC will run it.

Buuuuuut... I suppose I could buy this and just hold onto it and then some day play it when I get a better PC.[/QUOTE]

You can't run Witcher 1?
How old is your PC?

I could understand if you thought Witcher 2 might give you trouble... :whistle2:X

Can I use my wired xbox controller for this? I'm starting to build my digital collection as of late. Just bought Crysis Maximum Edition for $8. Can't wait to play it.

[quote name='boylover']Oh man... The game looks great and I like GOG.com... but I doubt my PC will run it.

Buuuuuut... I suppose I could buy this and just hold onto it and then some day play it when I get a better PC.[/QUOTE]

Try this site, it can usually tell you if you meet the minimum requirments for a game, and sometimes tells you if you can run it at max settings. They have both min and recommended for Witcher: Enhanced:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']Can I use my wired xbox controller for this? I'm starting to build my digital collection as of late. Just bought Crysis Maximum Edition for $8. Can't wait to play it.[/QUOTE]

According to this post at the official Witcher forums, gamepads are not natively supported in the first game. You'd have to use a program like xpadder, however one guy says that he doesn't recommend it anyway due to the battle mechanics:

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/inde...e-new-pc-enhanced-edition-suport-controllers/

[quote name='joker______']when does the sale end?[/QUOTE]

unknown, I can tell you that I check the site weekly (last checked it on the 14th) and they usually run sales for a week, so figure onit getting pulled around Fri/Sat, but don't depend on that, there is no end date listed.

[quote name='walkonshadows']unknown, I can tell you that I check the site weekly (last checked it on the 14th) and they usually run sales for a week, so figure onit getting pulled around Fri/Sat, but don't depend on that, there is no end date listed.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply,hoping it is still on sale at the end of the week.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Try this site, it can usually tell you if you meet the minimum requirments for a game, and sometimes tells you if you can run it at max settings. They have both min and recommended for Witcher: Enhanced:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

According to this post at the official Witcher forums, gamepads are not natively supported in the first game. You'd have to use a program like xpadder, however one guy says that he doesn't recommend it anyway due to the battle mechanics:

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/inde...e-new-pc-enhanced-edition-suport-controllers/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I decided not to get a copy. I'll eventually grab the Witcher 2 once Amazon has a DD sale on it. Thanks for the quick response though.

Why don't we have a GOG.com dedicated rep here? :bouncy:

FYI, if you bought Witcher 2 enter your code for a free upgrade version @ GOG.com

I am not really a PC gamer, but this is the 3rd GOG.com PC game I've gotten since Fallout 1 dropped. I also have Morrowind GOTY on PC.

I just never have gotten the hang of keyboard+mouse. Since 5 years old, it's always been about holding a controller in my hand (I'm 29). It's a hard learning curve, but guess I'll get there.

Really though, the biggest reason I've resisted PC games (outside of the odd Sims game or something) has been because of uncertainty about graphics cards and such. I don't want to have to become a PC technician just to enjoy video games. Consoles are more popular due to user friendliness, even if PCs are superior.

I'm running a laptop with umm i7 2.0 ghz, Radeon Hd 6770m 1 gb ram Gddr5 (huh?), 6 gb ram. How is that for current new release PC titles?

[quote name='ChaosLaw']bought this on steam a few months ago and it won't run even though canyourunit says it should =[[/QUOTE]

The game is really horribly optimized, I had fairly beyond the minimal specs when I first got it and still it was choppy as hell. For 5 bucks I will say it is a steal, even if you have to run it at minimal settings.

2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Geforce 9800m GS here (laptop) here. I have to turn off anti-aliasing and some open areas do chug a bit, so it is a bit of a beast, but my laptop's over 2 years old now.

Fantastic game if you can run it. the world's got a real game of thrones feel to it.

[quote name='pwnthee']I am not really a PC gamer, but this is the 3rd GOG.com PC game I've gotten since Fallout 1 dropped. I also have Morrowind GOTY on PC.

I just never have gotten the hang of keyboard+mouse. Since 5 years old, it's always been about holding a controller in my hand (I'm 29). It's a hard learning curve, but guess I'll get there.

Really though, the biggest reason I've resisted PC games (outside of the odd Sims game or something) has been because of uncertainty about graphics cards and such. I don't want to have to become a PC technician just to enjoy video games. Consoles are more popular due to user friendliness, even if PCs are superior.

I'm running a laptop with umm i7 2.0 ghz, Radeon Hd 6770m 1 gb ram Gddr5 (huh?), 6 gb ram. How is that for current new release PC titles?[/QUOTE]

That is more than fine for most games and way overkill for this one since it's a 2007 game. Overkill as in it will run no problem. Hell that setup should even run Witcher 2.

I think a lot console people unnecessarily freak out about PCs. It's not as bad as it use to be years ago. Direct 3D is really standard and any video card should run D3D games, you just have to make sure your system is up to spec and yours should be fine for anything that's out there right now. At worst on some really new games you'd have to turn some of the settings down to medium maybe but anything I can think of pretty much should run on it.

Keyboard and mouse isn't so bad either. You get used to it and in some ways it gives a lot more flexibility. Anyway many newer PC games these days do have controller support. This game doesn't but the sequel does.

[quote name='Motoki']That is more than fine for most games and way overkill for this one since it's a 2007 game. Overkill as in it will run no problem. Hell that setup should even run Witcher 2.

I think a lot console people unnecessarily freak out about PCs. It's not as bad as it use to be years ago. Direct 3D is really standard and any video card should run D3D games, you just have to make sure your system is up to spec and yours should be fine for anything that's out there right now. At worst on some really new games you'd have to turn some of the settings down to medium maybe but anything I can think of pretty much should run on it.

Keyboard and mouse isn't so bad either. You get used to it and in some ways it gives a lot more flexibility. Anyway many newer PC games these days do have controller support. This game doesn't but the sequel does.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on all counts. You do not have to be a genius to get into PC gaming and it does not cost a million jillion dollars to keep your PC good enough to run the latest games. Invest in a decent one with a good graphics card (not something that's geared at web browsing) and it'll last you years. Put a little money into upgrading the graphics card every couple of years and you'll still have a great graphical experience too.

I appreciate the wisdom from both eastx and motoki, thank you. Yeah I think I'll be picking up some of these PC exclusive titles eventually that I've avoided, or titles that are just apparently far superior on the PC, like I read Mafia II was that way, if I bother getting it.

Unfortunately on the graphics card front, I just don't have the luxury of a PC tower set up anymore. I move around too much for that, so I have to lug around a giant 17" laptop in a backpack everywhere. Still, I'm always entertained.

[quote name='mrsamsa']2.26GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Geforce 9800m GS here (laptop) here. I have to turn off anti-aliasing and some open areas do chug a bit, so it is a bit of a beast, but my laptop's over 2 years old now.

Fantastic game if you can run it. the world's got a real game of thrones feel to it.[/QUOTE]

I have similar specs (can't comment on the card though--maybe that's my problem?) and the game won't even start.

[quote name='ChaosLaw']I have similar specs (can't comment on the card though--maybe that's my problem?) and the game won't even start.[/QUOTE]

If it won't even start at all that's not a card or system spec issue, that's a technical issue.

Without more info it's hard for me to say but might want to try the forums for TW1 over at thewitcher.com or GOG.com.

The reason I didn't get into PC gaming years ago was due to the fact that building your own machine was so expensive. My motherboard was shot so I had to rebuild it. Here's a run down by price. 2GB DDR5 XFX Radeon HD $200, Mobo $60, Processor $100, 10GB RAM $40, and power supply $100. Didn't have to buy a hard drive, or case. They were fine. Oh, and a copy of Windows 7 ultimate $15. So just under $600 for a gaming rig/media center pc. Not too bad considering I'll have that for 3 or more years. Plus digital downloads will always be cheaper than retail games. Now I can play all games just fine. When I play Crysis on very high settings, my card heats up to 90 degrees. That game is just a resource hog anyway, lol. Just my two cents.

Mine was a bit more than that but I had to buy everything, I put a cheap 550 ti in just to get 3D for now until the 600 series is fully launched and drop in price. I don't care about media, I use the PS3 and Netflix for that, I just wanted a 1080p 3D gaming rig. It all went into this ..

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Enforcer-Interior-SGC-1000-KWN1/dp/B004WK3KKQ

.. has to be the best looking one I've ever built. I can't wait to try this out in 3D. Still looking for a good wireless mouse and keyboard though, the ones I have either don't like the range, barely 6-9', or are interfering with each other.

bread's done
Back