THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU, Square-Enix Modern-day RPG, out now! 9s up the wazoo!

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
IGN: 9/10 http://ds.ign.com/articles/867/867129p1.html
GameSpot: 9/10 http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/wonderfulworld/review.html

http://kotaku.com/gaming/game-annoucement/square-enix-goes-modern-day-the-world-ends-330173.php

An RPG (with rhythm elements, I believe) game by Square-Enix, was released in Japan earlier this year as "Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World." For battling, you control Neku on the touch screen to cast spells, while simultaneously control his female partner, Shiki, on the top screen with button combinations. Outside of battle, Neku is able to read the minds of the many people walking around Shibuya. Set for English release in Europe and the US Spring 2008.

Here's the Japanese version's opening:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZauKd-U9kw[/media]

*Thanks blueshinra, for finding the release date announcement*

The article says that only the European version is confirmed so far. It probably has a very high probability of coming out here, but you never know...

And on that note, where's my damn Tingle game Nintendo of America?

[quote name='Rockgamer']The article says that only the European version is confirmed so far. It probably has a very high probability of coming out here, but you never know...

And on that note, where's my damn Tingle game Nintendo of America?[/QUOTE]

Tingle RPG is never coming to America. Ever. They have done surveys where he is specifically mentioned, and always receives a large amount of hatred.

If you want it, you'll have to import the UK version.

[quote name='Rockgamer']The article says that only the European version is confirmed so far. It probably has a very high probability of coming out here, but you never know...

And on that note, where's my damn Tingle game Nintendo of America?[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that, I just skimmed through the press release and didn't notice the Europe parts.

Europe-only or no, I'm getting this one way or another. UK prices for games are a bit ridiculous, though.

Anyone else have the soundtrack? It's pretty good, and many of the songs are really catchy.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://www.dsfanboy.com/2007/12/05/its-a-wonderful-world-outside-of-japan/

DS Fanboy says NA and EU release.

I was really excited about this game when it first came out in Japan. I can't wait for the release here.[/quote]

Kotaku has the actual press release, and nowhere does it mention an NA release. And DS Fanboy also says "the game will supposedly be released in the spring of 2008 to North America and Europe."

Like I said, I don't doubt that the game is coming here eventually, it's just not officially confirmed yet.

What do these retail for in Japan?

Of all the SE releases on the DS, this is about the only one that's got me honestly interested (outside of FFIV remake). I don't think I'm willing to pay $40 though.

[quote name='Strell']What do these retail for in Japan?[/quote]

I don't know what it retails currently now that it's been out for a while, but at release I believe it had cost ¥5980 which is around $50.

[quote name='linkpwns']It's a Wonderful World? isn't that the name of the Holocaust movie? With the kid and the tank?[/QUOTE]
This is why they are changing the name to "The World Ends With You."

[quote name='Strell']I've never seen it, but are you thinking about The Sound of Music?[/quote]

No, No. I remember it quite clearly. His dad tells him that the Holocaust is all just a game, and he is working to win a tank, and hides him in his bunk

I really want to get this game, but with a $40 price, I may have to wait quite awhile for a price drop or sale.

[quote name='linkpwns']No, No. I remember it quite clearly. His dad tells him that the Holocaust is all just a game, and he is working to win a tank, and hides him in his bunk[/quote]

It's a Wonderful World is a romantic comedy. I don't think it has anything to do with the Holocaust nor kids and tanks.

The Sound of Music does take place during the Nazi era though, and there are a lot of kids in it, so you may indeed be thinking of that.

Yeah, I already set my price point for DS games at 19.99 and I am not budging on that unless its Pokemon, so even if it takes a year to drop I will have to wait.

the-world-ends-with-you.gif

but for real, I've been waiting for this game forever. totally picking it up.

Edge gave it an 8; they're tough reviewers, so this is a good score from them. It's the highest-rated game in the current issue (with the MGS4 cover); not too shabby.

Anyone know of any deals on this for next week?

[quote name='blueshinra']Edge gave it an 8; they're tough reviewers, so this is a good score from them. It's the highest-rated game in the current issue (with the MGS4 cover); not too shabby.

Anyone know of any deals on this for next week?[/quote]I'm sorta holding out hope we'll get a relatively quick $30 sale like we did with Revenant Wings (I think it was on sale the next month). Luckily I'm not in a huge hurry since Rondo of Swords will be kicking my ass for some time.

I'm about 4 hours in and loving it. It may not appeal to people who don't like RPGs. I have trouble not comparing it to Kingdom Hearts for some reason -- the style is similar, and both meld simplistic combat with addictive stat/ability/item systems.

Probably my favorite feature of the game so far is the customizable difficulty. You gain levels, of course, but you don't have to fight at the level you gain. I'm still fighting at level 1 even though my character has unlocked up to level 5, because fighting at lower levels increases the drops. You can also change the difficulty of the creatures, which also changes drop rates. Basically, you get to pick between fat loot or easy battles, or anywhere in between, and can adjust it at any time.

The whole urban atmosphere is really campy, but it becomes charming. I can't tell whether the game knows its campy or not. Items are called "bling," armor is called "threads," a lot of the characters say "yo," etc... but, as I said, it's charmingly campy rather than embarassing.

This is getting very good reviews all over. IGN just gave it a 9 and gamerankings shows it at about a 87.5% overall so far. I've been looking at more DS games lately because I only have Front Mission.

From the IGN and other reviews, this game sounds incredible. It's definitely now on my list of games to get, but I'll wait for the price cut.

Just heard about this game - looks like a must buy. It gives me another reason that's not named Puzzle Quest to pick up my DS again.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']http://tech-gaming.com/2008/04/16/the-world-ends-with-our-review.aspx

Our review is up.[/QUOTE]

"Our only misgivings with TWEWY is its brutally hard difficulty, and. . ."

Seriously? Maybe the difficulty skyrockets later, but I'm still playing at level 1 (I've gained up to 14) on Normal, playing 4-chain battles whenever possible and getting stars in nearly every one. I think it's pretty easy. Although I'm only on day 5.

Even if it gets harder, I can't imagine it being a huge issue since I could just stop playing at level 1.

For anyone that has it right now I have a question.

I'm at the A-Plaza or whatever, the concert stage. You find some guy waiting for his tech guy to show up so he can rehearse for his "concert". There is a store to the left which states that non-player's can see you only in stores, but not elsewhere. So does that make the guy looking for his tech guy a player? Why the fuck would he be playing a rock concert with only 7 days to live, or even a couple of hours?

[quote name='lawlflip']For anyone that has it right now I have a question.

I'm at the A-Plaza or whatever, the concert stage. You find some guy waiting for his tech guy to show up so he can rehearse for his "concert". There is a store to the left which states that non-player's can see you only in stores, but not elsewhere. So does that make the guy looking for his tech guy a player? Why the fuck would he be playing a rock concert with only 7 days to live, or even a couple of hours?[/QUOTE]

I think you only hear them talking to themselves, their thoughts, and what they say to each other. They're real, you're not. There are a lot of interactions like that throughout the game, where you're eavesdropping on non-players talking to themselves or one another in order to create little subplots. They use thought bubbles often too. Generally, unless Shiki and/or Neku talk to the NPC, it's probably safe to assume they're alive.

[quote name='Koggit']"Our only misgivings with TWEWY is its brutally hard difficulty, and. . ."

Seriously? Maybe the difficulty skyrockets later, but I'm still playing at level 1 (I've gained up to 14) on Normal, playing 4-chain battles whenever possible and getting stars in nearly every one. I think it's pretty easy. Although I'm only on day 5.

Even if it gets harder, I can't imagine it being a huge issue since I could just stop playing at level 1.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm a bit more monochronic that you. On Day 4, things starting becoming really difficult for me, and it got progressively harder from there.

[quote name='Koggit']I think you only hear them talking to themselves, their thoughts, and what they say to each other. They're real, you're not. There are a lot of interactions like that throughout the game, where you're eavesdropping on non-players talking to themselves or one another in order to create little subplots. They use thought bubbles often too. Generally, unless Shiki and/or Neku talk to the NPC, it's probably safe to assume they're alive.[/quote]
But he said something on the lines of "Hey you guys! Could you help me out?" basically. I didn't scan him either.

"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

"Crystals, blisters"
It’s all over now
Psycho cane
You’re so keen
I need more candy canes

"Cold cake, cold break"
Freak got a high kick
Mr. Twister
Moist with roistering

Stick it up
Take it up
Step aside and see the world
Effect has defects
"Take a bow to the moon (Bow-wow to the moon)"

"Morning rays, Hairspray Queens"
"Get on their way to their nests, the west"
"Honest, they once had a dream"
"Belles of society, in the shells of their unity"
Cornet’n spinet
"The sound flows, follows till they’re home"
Dragged by the power of dreams
That power is yet unknown

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Maybe I'm a bit more monochronic that you. On Day 4, things starting becoming really difficult for me, and it got progressively harder from there.[/QUOTE]

I think I just play a lot slower, which makes it a lot easier. I battle a lot and only play a couple hours a day. I've played a total of about 12 or 13 hours over the past week and am still on day 7. 7 days means nearly 200 bytes for stat-boosting food, 840 PP from power-down time, and spending a lot of time in each area keeps all my pins maxed and evolved (and also a ton of cash for getting that vendor-love).

If I hadn't been taking my sweet time, I'd probably be a lot weaker and a lot farther, so it'd be a lot harder.

Can someone clarify what Bytes and PP are/is for? Also,
[quote name='"Koggit"']spending a lot of time in each area keeps all my pins maxed and evolved[/quote]
Does that mean pins max and evolve in each area separately? Or wait, you mean you spend a lot of time fighting Noise in each area?

[quote name='lawlflip']Can someone clarify what Bytes and PP are/is for?[/QUOTE]

Food items give you stat bonuses when digested -- different food items take different amounts of bytes to digest. One byte passes in each battle, with a maximum of 24 per day. So, if you eat a burger that gives you +1 attack and takes 8 bytes to digest, you have to fight 8 battles before it takes effect, and you can eat up to three of them per day (real-life day, not game-day).

PP is the experience for pins. EXP makes your characters gain levels, PP makes your pins gain levels. You get a certain amount of PP per battle, and at the end of each battle it's multiplied based on how quickly you finished, how many specials you've used, how many were chained, etc.

You're also awarded PP when not playing, at a rate of about 5 per hour (so, if you save and spend 20 hours without playing, you'll gain 100 PP when you log on again).

[quote name='lawlflip']Does that mean pins max and evolve in each area separately?[/QUOTE]

I just meant that because I battle a lot, so I end up getting a lot of PP (which levels pins, they eventually max/evolve).

If it says "Attack +1" or something like that, yeah. Sync is temporary, attack/defense/hp/bravary are permanent. I usually use stat-boosts on Neku and Sync boosts on the partner, since I know I'll have Neku all game.

What's the best food to buy? I'm lvl 11 and I haven't ate anything. :|

Edit: Day 7 now, the GM says "Only 3 players remain" Yet there's Shinji, Neku, Beat, and Mr. Knowitall. What the hell?

bread's done
Back