The Wrestling Thread is usually a 4 but in a dress it's an 8 SPH Memorial Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@neocisco & @Mr. Beef: Y'know, when I'm already viewing an absurd image online, using Google Image search to verify whether it is original is not the first thing that comes to mind.

Man, that JR video is fucking amazing. But it makes me sad that JR doesn't commentate everything. Imagine how awesome he'd be during close football games "He tosses the ball up at the end of the game, aaaand..... TOUCHDOWN!!!!! TOUCHDOWN!!!! BAH GAWD HE CAUGHT THE BALL!!!!!!" Or something similar.

[quote name='ShinSolidus']Man, that JR video is fucking amazing. But it makes me sad that JR doesn't commentate everything. Imagine how awesome he'd be during close football games "He tosses the ball up at the end of the game, aaaand..... TOUCHDOWN!!!!! TOUCHDOWN!!!! BAH GAWD HE CAUGHT THE BALL!!!!!!" Or something similar.[/QUOTE]

You mean like he did in the XFL?

[quote name='niceguyshawne']You mean like he did in the XFL?[/QUOTE]

Seriously? I never watched any XFL, so I had no idea he did any commentating there. I would imagine him being awesome at it though. :lol:

[quote name='silentevil']Anyone watching ROH? Looks like I'm watching a 10 year old VHS.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty much unwatchable. Their production feels even more indy than the local indy promotion that used to show up on TV like 5 years ago (I think it was called LAW).

[quote name='CaseyRyback']It is pretty much unwatchable. Their production feels even more indy than the local indy promotion that used to show up on TV like 5 years ago (I think it was called LAW).[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the show. It's only an hour long though. It reminded me of TNA when it was on Fox Sports (the wrestling not the production).

I think we're all in agreement that what would make Ring of Honor watchable is less wrestling, more lights and fireworks.

[quote name='Survivalism']I think we're all in agreement that what would make Ring of Honor watchable is less wrestling, more lights and fireworks.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to cut down on the wrestling to add production value.

[quote name='Survivalism']I think we're all in agreement that what would make Ring of Honor watchable is less wrestling, more lights and fireworks.[/QUOTE]
Nah just get better cameras. If you're going through the trouble of making a tv show it shouldn't look like a crappy internet stream. This was my 1st time watching a "full" ROH show. A second hour would of been great. So are they buying time on air or do they have a contract for x amount of episodes?

[quote name='silentevil']Nah just get better cameras. If you're going through the trouble of making a tv show it shouldn't look like a crappy internet stream. This was my 1st time watching a "full" ROH show. A second hour would of been great. So are they buying time on air or do they have a contract for x amount of episodes?[/QUOTE]

Sinclair Broadcasting Group now owns Ring Of Honor so they are putting the show on their stations. Eventually they want to expand the show out to markets that they don't own stations in but for now its just in markets Sinclair has stations along with internet on demand viewing at ROHWrestling.com.

Speaking of ROH I did get told one thing from the TV taping tonight..... read ONLY if you want to be spoiled... you have been warned.....

Davey Richards vs Eddie Edwards rematch at Final Battle 2011! Can they outdo their match of the year candidate match from Best In The World? We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='silentevil']So are they buying time on air or do they have a contract for x amount of episodes?[/QUOTE]

It's only Sinclair Broadcasting channels right now. Apparently it's airing at 1am saturday morning & 10:35pm on sunday nights in my area. Weird times to put it on, although all they did was bump some old Seinfeld reruns.

Check the link to see if you have one of their stations in your area:
http://www.rohwrestling.com/tv/listings

BTW, new botchamania is up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5oM7FOGXY

2.5 months ago, we were all more hyped about a wrestling angle than most of us had collectively been in years.

Today, there's a PPV and I don't think any one of us give a flying fuck.

I think I am in agreement that you have not watched their television broadcasts. I can't even stomach watching something that looks like absolute garbage. Their camera men need to stop setting the VHS tape in their camcorders to Extended Play before I will watch again. Youtube videos have better picture quality than the shit they are shooting with. The fucking AWA broadcasts from the 80's look ten times better than what ROH looks like. SD cameras made within the last decade can't be that expensive, especially if they are owned by a fucking broadcasting company.

[quote name='mykevermin']2.5 months ago, we were all more hyped about a wrestling angle than most of us had collectively been in years.

Today, there's a PPV and I don't think any one of us give a flying fuck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, completely agree. One of my friends has an over night deskjob where he basically just makes sure machines keep running and he can't even be bothered to stream it tonight. A wrestling fan sitting alone watching screens all night with full permission can't even be bothered to watch it for free. That pretty much sums it up in total.

[quote name='mykevermin']2.5 months ago, we were all more hyped about a wrestling angle than most of us had collectively been in years.

Today, there's a PPV and I don't think any one of us give a flying fuck.[/QUOTE]

Nah, sadly not. I don't even plan on taking the time to go through the "other methods" of watching it, let alone actually order it.

A co-worker told me about "Air Boom". The early 1990s called...

Yeeeeeeeeeesh.

I don't even bother reading about WWE anymore.

[quote name='Brak']A co-worker told me about "Air Boom". The early 1990s called...

Yeeeeeeeeeesh.

I don't even bother reading about WWE anymore.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much that Air Boom is the problem but rather the fact that WWE is treating Air Boom as the solution to their ailing tag team division.

You know what would make me cheer for Air Boom?

New tights. Matching tights. Tights appropriate for their name.

35.jpg

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It's not so much that Air Boom is the problem but rather the fact that WWE is treating Air Boom as the solution to their ailing tag team division.[/QUOTE]
Oh, definitely.
[quote name='mykevermin']You know what would make me cheer for Air Boom?

New tights. Matching tights. Tights appropriate for their name.

35.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I'd dress like that 24/7 if I could get away with it. Then again, I'd probably wind up reeking just like wet swim trunks.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I think I am in agreement that you have not watched their television broadcasts. I can't even stomach watching something that looks like absolute garbage. Their camera men need to stop setting the VHS tape in their camcorders to Extended Play before I will watch again. Youtube videos have better picture quality than the shit they are shooting with. The fucking AWA broadcasts from the 80's look ten times better than what ROH looks like. SD cameras made within the last decade can't be that expensive, especially if they are owned by a fucking broadcasting company.[/QUOTE]

Some of the "low quality" comes from the overly compressed digital delivery that Sinclair is using to send the show to their affiliates. The show looks slightly better on ROH's website then it does on the broadcast... which should never ever be the case. But yeah ROH really needs to invest in better equipment period. It still looks pretty crappy regardless.

- Sports Business Daily is reporting that Jane Geddes, the Senior VP/Tournament Operations & Player Services at the LPGA, is headed to WWE as WWE’s new VP of Talent Relations.

Edit: also
vghg5g.jpg

Awesome - return of the "classic" style IC belt tonight. Best looking title they ever had. Nice to see the crowd giving a very positive reaction.

Couldn't tell if it was the actual old belt (probably not *EDIT* - definitely not) but it's close enough.

The Rock stinks. His mic work is / was corny. (I only like him when he's an asshole heel.)

/bold opinion, but I stand by it.

As a fan of The Miz and R-Truth, can someone tell me what happened in spoiler tags? :)

Can you only watch ROH's show the Thursday they put it on the site? I went to go watch it now and I can't find the video anywhere. That's really lame if they only limit it to one day.

[quote name='Brak']As a fan of The Miz and R-Truth, can someone tell me what happened in spoiler tags? :)[/QUOTE]

As soon as the Cell rises up, Cena rushes under it and attacks Del Rio from behind. The Miz and R-Truth sneak in, wearing jeans and hoodies. They beat everyone down and kick the referees down. Triple H and John Laurinaitis run down but the Cell is lowered, keeping Triple H out. Triple H orders Laurinaitis to the back to open the Cell. Miz and Truth continue their beatdown in the ring as several WWE Superstars run down and try to shake the Cell down. Truth takes out a camera man as Miz beats u a referee. The whole locker room is trying to get in the Cell now as Truth and Miz continue beating down everyone in the ring. Another camera man in the Cell gets taken out. Security, Superstars and officials are now surrounding the ring, with police. Someone comes down and cuts the lock off the Cell with bolt cutters. Police enter the ring first as Triple H is held back. Truth and Miz surrender to the police and drop to their knees, putting their hands behind their back. Truth and Miz are put in handcuffs, then taken out of the Cell by police. Triple H runs up and takes them both down. Triple H wails away with right hands on both men as they’re in handcuffs. Triple H pushes down Laurinaitis and it’s chaos at ringside. Triple H is going crazy as two men hold him back and try to pull him to the backstage area. Hell in a Cell goes off the air with Triple H being held back while Miz and Truth are taken away in handcuffs, the whole locker room and officials looking on.

It was pretty awesome until Triple H attacked them.

See, I'd get all excited about 'brilliant heel behavior' if it wasn't happening in a company that decided to give Cena a two week title reign for no apparent reason whatsoever.

[quote name='Blackout']Can you only watch ROH's show the Thursday they put it on the site? I went to go watch it now and I can't find the video anywhere. That's really lame if they only limit it to one day.[/QUOTE]

Yeah last week's show will be up for free members until this upcoming Thursday which then they'll switch it out for this week's show.

[quote name='007']See, I'd get all excited about 'brilliant heel behavior' if it wasn't happening in a company that decided to give Cena a two week title reign for no apparent reason whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Because he's John Cena isn't enough reason?

[quote name='Demolition Man']Yeah last week's show will be up for free members until this upcoming Thursday which then they'll switch it out for this week's show.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that free members had to register to even watch the show. I'm viewing it now. Quality is fucking terrible. Ring of Honor will have a had enough time being taken serious with the guys on their roster, but they really need better recording quality if they want to make it. They did do a good job of setting up the place for TV. It looks totally different from when I've been there for live shows.

I'm certainly not going to argue the video quality but I'd like to hear the argument against their roster. That should be good.

[quote name='neocisco']I'm certainly not going to argue the video quality but I'd like to hear the argument against their roster. That should be good.[/QUOTE]

What I mean is that there's no big time stars on their roster, so more mainstream fans might not be that interested in the product to begin with because they have no idea who the hell any of these guys are. I'm not talking about wrestling talent, but Future Shock and The Bravados cut the most boring ass introduction before the first match on the show. That's really not a way to draw viewers in. The match was really good though, but some of these guys really need to work on their personalities a bit.

The catch-22 about not having any "big time stars" is that as soon as one would show up they would be branded as "WWE leftovers" or some other lazily applied term. ROH has always been about growing their own talent and not being dependent on the history of incoming wrestlers. That approach may be off-putting to some viewers but ROH's primary focus has always been in-ring. Personally, I don't see WWE's D-level acting from the majority of its Sooperstars as being any kind of draw at all. Then again, I've long grown out of their primary demographic. I don't disagree that there is certainly room for improvement in personality development for some ROH wrestlers but as long as they deliver during matches (and they always do IMO) then I can deal with it.

Miz and Truth returning now is as amazing as Punk's 8-day retirement post MITB.

I know that stuff is eventually coming, but drag that shit out, won't you? The anticipation is always so much better than the reveal. fucking hell.

I dunno. Them coming back as a "renegade group" or whatever was always inevitable, and a foregone conclusion. Firing them and then reintroducing them in 13 days shows that the writers are in a panic, that there's zero long-term creative vision, etc. etc.

Bringing back a classic-style IC belt is, to me, far more exciting than some quasi-shit-shoot that WWE managed to fuck up again, just like they did with the Punk angle.

You mean to tell me Miz and R-Truth are "back" with WWE? Oh, tell me more. This is so intriguing.

:roll:

Only saw most of the main event, which would not have been memorable at all if it hadn't been for Miz/Truth... rest of thoughts spoiler tagged.

I do think they pulled a classic WWE move and completely fucking spoiled it by having Miz/Truth attack Air Boom backstage before they ran out after the main event. I did however LOVE ADR being a smart heel and locking Cena out. Still doesn't make Punk look weak since he had to hit him with a steel pipe something like 5 time. I do feel like Cena is getting Triple H treatment now, where he won't ever get pinned to lose the title unless it is by some sort of under handed tactic (Punk is the obvious exception).

Anybody else miss blood in the WWE as much as I do? That Hell in the Cell should have been a blood affair. How is hitting someone with a steel pipe okay to show kids, but not blood? Anyway, the main event was booked like I expected. Honestly, I'd have liked to see Punk kick out of the first attack with the pipe only to drive ADR mad, have him draw blood and then choke out Punk/arm bar Punk and have Punk pass out from the blood/pain. Thats the way it would have gone down if it were Austin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back