The "You're getting her what!?" Significant-Other XMas Gift Thread

For my wife i got her:
a naruto sweatshirt, looks just like his in the cartoon, shes gonna love it
sasuke(sp) t shirt
a few dvd's for stocking stuffers
some nifty toy ball thing that changes colors
a rechargable battery set with charger (thanks CAG)
SD card reader (thanks again CAG)

So I am all set and she's gonna be happy

[quote name='Dead of Knight']He has already discussed his gift to me: either a weekend getaway to Saipan or Tinian (we're in Guam right now because he's working there as I've said before) or a weekend getaway at the Guam Hilton.[/quote]

I would strongly urge you to reconsider Saipan, my god that was a blast. When my family and I lived over in Japan, we'd shoot to one of the pacific islands every Christmas, and I do have to say that Saipan was my favorite. My wife and I even went back for our honeymoon, and both times we stayed at the PIC (pacific islands club, which I would higly recomend). True, the extra flying does suck, but if you'd be staying there more than 4 days, IMO it would be worth it.

As far as my wife goes, I got her:

* About $100 worth of Bath and Body stuff in her fav scent
* Trama Center: Second Opinion
* A really nice silk robe (we're expecting, so she wanted alot of lounge around the house stuff)
* Scented candles
* Some Adult Swim dvds
* Scrubs: seasons 3 and 4
* Inuyasha Season 2

I also got her some little stuff for St. Nick's day. But yeah, pretty basic. Christmas will get really fun in a few years if we have a boy (not that I wouldn't min a girl), it would give me a good excuse to spend some of my disposable income on toys again :)

Wow...what happened to being CHEAP ass gamers? I love my wife and I'm still working on getting her something nice, but some of the lists you folks have rattled off would take a massive chunk out of the money we've budgeted for gifts for the whole family!

I got her a Wii, I've been having it since launch, preordered from TRU. I also got...

Zelda: Twilight Princess
Zelda Collector's Gift Set (that Target exclusive thing)
Hollister perfume
Frango (Macy's chocolate)
A Bionicle knight
Pajama pants
Elite Beat Agents
Guitar Hero 2 (Game only - she has a guitar)

I'm gonna be in Louisiana for two weeks, she's staying here in Seattle, so we're going to do most of Christmas when I get back on the 27th, but I'm going to fedex the Wii and Zelda to her for delivery on the 23rd, since it'll be unexpected.

Shit you people get your girlfriends alot of presents.

That one year where money is tight and you can't afford $500 worth of gifts will come back to bite you in the ass, since they will remember the "good" christmas's and the fact you have to keep topping yourself every time.

I never spend more than $50 on any girlfriend on any given Christmas, and that's pushing it.

This thread has just reminded me why I'm staying the hell out of relationships. I just can't imagine dropping this kind of cash on anyone except myself, since there is never the chance I'm going to break up with myself and I just flushed money down the toilet.

[quote name='Roufuss']Shit you people get your girlfriends alot of presents.

That one year where money is tight and you can't afford $500 worth of gifts will come back to bite you in the ass, since they will remember the "good" christmas's and the fact you have to keep topping yourself every time.

I never spend more than $50 on any girlfriend on any given Christmas, and that's pushing it.

This thread has just reminded me why I'm staying the hell out of relationships. I just can't imagine dropping this kind of cash on anyone except myself, since there is never the chance I'm going to break up with myself and I just flushed money down the toilet.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has their preference, Tis' the season to be giving. How long have you dated any girl?

Anyways so far i got my gf:

19" samsung monitor on BF at bestbuy
3 in 1 canon printer
Tetris DS

Still a couple of more things to pick up.

This thread has just reminded me why I'm staying the hell out of relationships. I just can't imagine dropping this kind of cash on anyone except myself, since there is never the chance I'm going to break up with myself and I just flushed money down the toilet.[/quote]

Just spent $4000 on mine last nite =]

A lot of them are buying games for their girlfriends (You guys are lucky to have women who game...treat them right) and I'm willing to bet they didn't pay MSRP for any of them. ;)

This thread has just reminded me why I'm staying the hell out of relationships. I just can't imagine dropping this kind of cash on anyone except myself, since there is never the chance I'm going to break up with myself and I just flushed money down the toilet.[/quote]

Wow, I agree with some of the sediments. I try to spend between $50-$100 per year. Just don't have tons to be dropping. She actually spends a lot less on me (usually around $20).

This year, I went a bit more. I got her a Nintendo DS with New Super Mario Bros and Wario Touched. She's been talking about wanting one forever. I figured I had a great idea that she'd never guess until yesterday she was telling me she was going to pick one up when she got Christmas money from her Dad

Having to think quickly on my toes, I told her EB Games usually has huge sales on stuff like that after Chrstmas, so we should go up there afterwards. Hopefully that didn't give it away.

I can't think of anything I really want for Christmas. I can't think of anything I really want to save up for. I want her to be happy, though. Her being happy makes me happy, especially when I'm able to cause it. It feels good to be able to make her happy, y'know?

[quote name='Koggit']I can't think of anything I really want for Christmas. I can't think of anything I really want to save up for. I want her to be happy, though. Her being happy makes me happy, especially when I'm able to cause it. It feels good to be able to make her happy, y'know?[/quote]
As long as it isnt the girl that looks like a man - true. Or was it the girl that was a serious money mooching bitch....one or the other.

[quote name='guinaevere']You caught me. I really don't have a girlfriend.[/quote]

If you are being technical, you aren't a guy either ;)

[quote name='permablue']I would strongly urge you to reconsider Saipan, my god that was a blast. When my family and I lived over in Japan, we'd shoot to one of the pacific islands every Christmas, and I do have to say that Saipan was my favorite. My wife and I even went back for our honeymoon, and both times we stayed at the PIC (pacific islands club, which I would higly recomend). True, the extra flying does suck, but if you'd be staying there more than 4 days, IMO it would be worth it.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the info. However, I don't think we'd be there for more than 4 days because of his work. There is a PIC here in Guam as well so I will inquire about that.

I also got him a 1GB SD card for his new camera which I didn't mention in my original post. I need to get him some more stuff too, especially since I'm looking at all these posts and I see a ton of awesome gifts. :lol: Though I did buy him $100 worth of paints and books for his silly miniature figures on the mainland before I came here, plus I generally pay for any restaurant dinner that isn't fast food or Chinese. Hmm, but I think I will get him some more stuff since I love to spoil him. :lol:

You people are goddamn rich.

I feel like a cheapskate.

Then I look at the website and realize that DESPITE this thread, that is okay.

So you know what? fuck you guys.

Fetal position ahoy!

Love Spell from Victoria's Secret (smells AMAZING)
Some weird lotion from Bed, Bath, & Bodyworks
Purse
Massaging pillow for a bathtub
Conair dual jet spa for the tub
A soft mat for the tub that has little jets in it.
Whatever else I can find in the next week and a half.

She's been takings baths instead of showers the last few months as a result of a sore back from being preggers.

Hmm, already spent a grand taking my top fillie to California a month ago... eating out every night, going to Universal, the San Diego Zoo, it added up right quick.

I think on Christmas morning I'm going to say, "Remember that trip we took to California? Well that was your Christmas present, surprise!"

I seriously wish she'd play a videogame (like all of your girlfriends seem to) that could be my Christmas present from her!

My g/f really does play games, although sometimes it's a bit frustrating, 'cause I think I'm a bit better than her most times.

Except for Dr. Mario. I hate that game, and she school's me everytime. I never had it growing up, so I don't care for it much.

She likes RPG's mostly (which is awesome, cause that's one of the harder genres to get anyone to like).

And so far, I've spent maybe $180 on her. I don't feel it's a waste at all; I got into this relationship (as did she) expecting it to lead somewhere much more serious; it's not ike throwing money away at all. AND I get to play the games too, making it doubly sweet!

And although I don't really have $180 to drop, I have spent that much in the past on me maybe every month. No wait... more like $400 a month on nearly nothing. Where the hell does it go?! So really, $200 to make someone you love happy is a small price to pay.

[quote name='mzbagel']Wow...what happened to being CHEAP ass gamers? I love my wife and I'm still working on getting her something nice, but some of the lists you folks have rattled off would take a massive chunk out of the money we've budgeted for gifts for the whole family![/QUOTE]

yea, but if you have a good job spending $200+ on one holiday isn't a big deal...

also, about the above Sigmund Freud Action Figure --- I'm in an Industrial / Organizational Psychology Master's program right now --- I saw that figure at my Undergrad school --- it's frickin' awesome, i really want one...

anyways, on to what I'm buying for my girlfriend...

Engagement ring (already bought, spent $2049.99) - asking her sometime during our trip to California (Dec. 29th to Jan. 5th)

The O.C. The Board Game

A Sock Monkey doll

A Sock Monkey tree ornament

American Eagle shoes

The Devil Wears Prada (WS DVD)

Curious George (PC CD-ROM)

Curious George 2007 calendar

In Her Shoes (WS DVD - but I already gave it to her)

After that, I'd still like to drop about $100 on clothes at either Hollister or Abercrombie and if I see something I know she will love, I'll get that too.

[quote name='Cormier6083']Umm... If I was a siginifcant other I would want the Pink PSP or DS and a Xbox 360 with the pink faceplate...[/quote] If you were my significant other and asked for that, i would leave you the fuk alone.

To the person who asked about our significant others playing videogames, let me break it down.

Prior to me buying her a nintendo DS last christmas, she really only played Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario World, and a bunch of other classics. Actually, she did love mariokart for the gamecube. When I got her the DS though, she fell in love with animal crossing, and that got more playtime than all the other games I got her combined (including mariokart, nintendogs, pheonix wright, etc.). Most recently, for my birthday in May, she bought me a PS2 and Guitar Hero. I think, by far, that is her favorite videogame ever. Not only can she kick my ass, but literally all of my friends fall prey to her mad guitar skillz. It's really incredible... and my girlfriend with a guitar hero controller strapped on is a beautiful thing to see.

I'm sure I'll be able to get her into the Wii once I actually get a game. Thus far we've played a little wii sports, but that's it. She's not hooked on wii sports like i am. I know excite truck will be perfect for us.

So far, I've purchased for my girlfriend:

1) A very nice black Prada purse

2) The Sims 2: Pets expansion

3) A few books

4) The Talking Heads brick box set of all of their albums.

Not sure if I'll be giving all of this stuff to her for Christmas, or saving part of it for later gifts.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Figures i drop the $4000 sunday night, then get a coupon for $150 off today[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Damn, that's an expensive ring!! I know you're supposed to spend 2 months' salary, but that's BS IMO. I hope when someone proposes to me the ring is only about $1000, maybe $2000 at most but that's pushing it. It's a ring for chrissakes!!!

And my boyfriend does play videogames, though he likes those crazy historial strategies games and FPSes- pretty much the opposite of me. He did play Rayman Raving Rabbids last night though and really seemed to enjoy it. He's also played through New SMB and Super Princess Peach. Of course, I mostly like RPGs, but I'm glad he's interested in games at all. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']:rofl:

Damn, that's an expensive ring!! I know you're supposed to spend 2 months' salary, but that's BS IMO. I hope when someone proposes to me the ring is only about $1000, maybe $2000 at most but that's pushing it. It's a ring for chrissakes!!![/quote]

You'll change your mind when you see how small a ring $1000 gets you(assuming you dont want a yellow 'crappy' diamond, etc) :cry:

[quote name='Pookymeister']You'll change your mind when you see how small a ring $1000 gets you(assuming you dont want a yellow 'crappy' diamond, etc) :cry:[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm thinking of maybe a sapphire or ruby as the main stone instead. I obviously got a couple years to think about it. ;) But I just think that's way too expensive for a damn ring. I'd rather use the extra money to pay for a house payment or two.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Eh, I'm thinking of maybe a sapphire or ruby as the main stone instead. I obviously got a couple years to think about it. ;) But I just think that's way too expensive for a damn ring. I'd rather use the extra money to pay for a house payment or two.[/quote]

Keep that lawyer guy around and it will only be like 1/2 months salary :cool:

[quote name='Pookymeister']Keep that lawyer guy around and it will only be like 1/2 months salary :cool:[/QUOTE]

LOL, only if he does it in a couple years. He doesn't make that much money right now in Guam (at least compared to pretty much 90% of lawyers) because it's a fairly poor country and the government doesn't have the money to pay lawyers a fortune. ;)

I have good information from my mom and his mom that he wants to propose, but he wants to wait until he finds a job on the mainland USA and has enough money to support me financially, which I respect.

So have you thought about how you're gonna propose? Don't be like my boyfriend's sister's ex and propose in front of an empty tomb (long story...). :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So have you thought about how you're gonna propose? Don't be like my boyfriend's sister's ex and propose in front of an empty tomb (long story...). :lol:[/quote]

Aww i was thinking of that approach. "Oh baby, I want my final resting place to be alongside you here. Will you marry me?".
Now that that option is gone, not sure what i'll do now...

[quote name='Pookymeister']You'll change your mind when you see how small a ring $1000 gets you(assuming you dont want a yellow 'crappy' diamond, etc) :cry:[/QUOTE]

yea....$1000 isn't gonna be too nice of a ring at all.....

i spent $2000, which while in grad. school is a lot of money, but, if i were at a better place financially, i would have spent i few thousand more........

[quote name='mzbagel']Wow...what happened to being CHEAP ass gamers? I love my wife and I'm still working on getting her something nice, but some of the lists you folks have rattled off would take a massive chunk out of the money we've budgeted for gifts for the whole family![/quote]

We are cheap ass gamers. That's why we can afford to spend money on the husband/wife/SO. It's nice being a CAG. I actually have money to spend on Christmas presents now. And no, I'm not rich or anything. I actually picked up a second job a few months ago to fund paying off some old bills and making sure we have money for Christmas this year.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Just spent $4000 on mine last nite =][/quote]

Damn boy. Hope you got her at least a carat for that much. Spent $1800 on my wife and got her a half carat diamond that was certified and all that junk. Wasn't flawless, but definitely wasn't yellow and didn't have any specks in it. Just gotta learn to talk the jeweler's down on price. Once they know you want to buy one, they'll do whatever it takes to make the sale. Cause if you don't buy it from them, you'll go down the street to the next guys and buy from them. Not like you're gonna wait a month and try again or anything. The ring I bought was originally $2500.

As for what she's getting this year:
- Pair of earrings (originally $1000... marked down to 500... talked down to 400 + free screw-on backs)
- Seiko watch
- Some make-up she needs
- PJ's
- A game or 2 for PS2
- a kitten and a puppy (this will actually be post Christmas... we're in the midst of figuring out what kind of dog we want).

[quote name='Warner1281']
Damn boy. Hope you got her at least a carat for that much. Spent $1800 on my wife and got her a half carat diamond that was certified and all that junk. Wasn't flawless, but definitely wasn't yellow and didn't have any specks in it. Just gotta learn to talk the jeweler's down on price. [/quote]

It's 5/6 carat, but its real good quality. F color, VS1 clarity, ideal cut ( if you remember your 4 C's :) )
I only went to a jewerly store to see what the sizes looked like. I bought my ring from diamond.com. Jewelers mark up way too high. One ring I looked at , they wanted $8999 for. I went back to diamond with the specs and it was $4000. Way better deal online.
Being the CAG i am, i used my citi card which gives me 9% cashback at diamond.com, and called and got that $150 coupon i found after i ordered applied :lol:

For xmass I am getting my wife

a necklace, earing, bracelet set.

tix to mary popping play in ny city

a new itrip to replace her one that doesn't work anymore

[quote name='Pookymeister']It's 5/6 carat, but its real good quality. F color, VS1 clarity, ideal cut ( if you remember your 4 C's :) )
I only went to a jewerly store to see what the sizes looked like. I bought my ring from diamond.com. Jewelers mark up way too high. One ring I looked at , they wanted $8999 for. I went back to diamond with the specs and it was $4000. Way better deal online.
Being the CAG i am, i used my citi card which gives me 9% cashback at diamond.com, and called and got that $150 coupon i found after i ordered applied :lol:[/quote]

I definitely remember the 4 C's. (jebus... I wish I could forget them... I don't need that knowledge anymore and could use the space in the brain for other useful things, but nooooo... gotta remember that damn C's!). Anyways, don't remember specifically what the grades were that I got her (maybe I'll go home and see if it says on the card... probably not). As for shopping online- good job. Wish I would've thought of it. In the end, you ended up paying ~$3500, so not too shabby. Coulda saved yourself more money if you would've just mined the diamond yourself, but hey... not everyone owns a pick axe ;) .

bread's done
Back