Thinking about getting a PSP, but....

ryoga79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I previously owned a DS, which I loved, but traded it when I got my 360 back in September. I have recently started a job where I make alot more money then I ever have before (which is sad considering I'm less then a year away from 30), but it's 3rd shift and there is alot of downtime, so I'm leaning towards getting some portable gaming to keep me sane at work. I'm leaning towards a PSP, but mainly because I want to do emulation on it, since i haven't found many PSP games that interest me. I would get another DS with an R4 card, but I like the way the PSP is set up better. I'm also not sure if the PSP core (in the long box) is the same as the launch psp "fat", since I know about the firmware update downgrader with the battery trick. Should I just get a PSP (mainly for movie watching and emulation with a frak load of DOU cards), a DS (which actually has games on it I would buy) or a GP32x (though it can't play psx emus)?

Get whatever system you're going to play games on. All the other stuff is just extra.

What kind of games do you like? How can you not find anything to play on PSP? I think it has one of the best and most diverse libraries of any system...

I mean there are some games I would play (the new MGS, GoW, the GTA games) but nothing that really grabs me. I was thinking about using it for it's "modability" (if that is a word), but I'm not sure if I get a new one how hard that will be to do so.

I know nothing about the modding. I have had a DS for a few years and love it, I just bought a PSP a month ago and love it too. There are a lot of great games for both systems. Make a list of what you want to play and decide which one is more appealing.

i have both. i havent bought a psp game in atleast 18 months. i bought 2 ds games last week.
im not everybody obviously but, the ds makes me want to play games on it.

guys at work have dozens of ps isos which i could play for free but i dont bother (meaning even though im cheap as fuck, i pay to play the ds when i could play the psp for free)

good luck with whatever you choose.

Like I said, I had my dsphat and loved it, but I traded it when I got my 360. I liked alot of the games on the DS, and could easily pick up 25+, granted I had the bread to do so. The PSP though...I can watch stuff on it and play Mame and all on it at work, as well as PSX roms that are not out on any portable system (like Chrono Trigger and Symphony of the Night).

Bah....could not buy either, and save me some money and just be bored as frak all night....

i have a job that has a lot of down time. get a portble. its worth it.

all the extra stuff of the psp is cool, but for me it got old, and the old games are cool, but theyre old. theres not much that makes me want to pick up my psp to be honest with you. and if it were me, and i knew there were 25+ games on one, thats the one id get.

i put my videos on my ipod now, and of course my music so i have that.
my psp is in my backpack, but so is my ds, and i always grab the ds when i want to play some games.

Honestly, modding, and emulation on PSp are too risky. You may not make a mistake, but you could still end up bricking your system. I had some emulators in the early days of the psp, but I upgraded, and lost the feature. It really not worth it to run emulators, too much of a hassle.

If I can get one of these $110 psphats at Kmart tommorow, then I'll have made my choice. If not, I might just get a DS again.

Bah....

[quote name='Thomas96']Honestly, modding, and emulation on PSp are too risky. You may not make a mistake, but you could still end up bricking your system. I had some emulators in the early days of the psp, but I upgraded, and lost the feature. It really not worth it to run emulators, too much of a hassle.[/QUOTE]

I have my DS lite with R4 and it's been great, but I am still thinking to get a psp soon... the number of games I'm interested (SRPG) is growing fast, and I have a tone of PS1 game that I really rather play on a portable...

Come on, someone please tell me it's not that difficult... is it possible to "rip" PS1 games and play on the psp if I have the original? Do I need to mess with CFW? Am I going to fuck up many psp while doing so? If I buy a used one from GS to "pratice" eoulf they take it back if I fucked it?

I have about 1-2 hour for games each week, and it's just too long to fire up the old consoles... help me CAGs...

[quote name='Asgardian']I have my DS lite with R4 and it's been great, but I am still thinking to get a psp soon... the number of games I'm interested (SRPG) is growing fast, and I have a tone of PS1 game that I really rather play on a portable...

Come on, someone please tell me it's not that difficult... is it possible to "rip" PS1 games and play on the psp if I have the original? Do I need to mess with CFW? Am I going to fuck up many psp while doing so? If I buy a used one from GS to "pratice" eoulf they take it back if I fucked it?

I have about 1-2 hour for games each week, and it's just too long to fire up the old consoles... help me CAGs...[/quote]

Coming from a custom firmware user, installing and running CF is not difficult. Plus, there is already a large database of tutorials and such on the net. Just read carefully and excercise caution before doing anything and don't mess around with themes.

DO NOT GET A PSP JUST FOR EMULATION! You said it yourself, they have GP32x for that. There are so many good games on the PSP that make it worth getting and keeping the firmware up to date.

sI had a DS and thought it was ok. I am not really into mini games, so I got bored of it. I tried the some of the more in depth games, but it just wan't for me. The only games I enjoyed on it, were the platformers. Before I sold it, I was playing it about once a month. I bought a PSP on a whim four months ago. I rarely go a day withought playing it. The platformers I have played (R&C, Daxter) I have enjoyed way more than the ones on the DS. I have also enjoyed games like Tomb Raider, Killzone, and Syphon Filter, MLB08, Pro-Evo, which wouldn't be possible on the DS. Obviously there are just as many games for the DS, which because of their control scheme wouldn't work on the DS, but very few that I enjoyed. y\Yeah the DS has more titles, but the DS has a very high percentage of shovelware, like Horsez, Barbie gets Boned, etc.

Good range of RPG's, strategy games, etc. I also love the multimedia capabilities of it. If you have a PS3, the remote play is awesome both for gaming, and watching videos.

My biggest knock on the PSP prior to owning one, was that most of the games on the system, are console type games, so why wouldn't I just play those games on a console. For a portable I want pick up and play, and a game with too much depth is not good for pick up. Turns out I became bored easily of the pick and play type games of the DS. And being short of time to play console games the PSP fills in nicely. Sony forces devs to implement sleep properly, so you can put it to sleep in the middle of a boss battle, and pick it up a month later and keep playing. Nintendo does not require devs to fully implement sleep, so as a result, most games just shut off the screen, and pause the game when you close the DS. So it is still burning battery.

You should borrow a PSP for a week, with a game or two that you are interested in, and see what you think. Because it really comes down to the style of games you like. That is what it was for me. (Unfortunately I bought a DS in the process of figuring out my answer.)

~S

I'm a firm believer in having both portables. Honestly I play them both in phases. Like when professor layton, castlevania, and ff3 were in my DS, I played it non stop and neglected my psp (also, fully complete professor layton, woo!). But now with wild arms, crisis core, FFtactics, and a bunch of other rpg's, my psp is getting A LOT of play time (if I can only remember to charge it, been dead for a week :()

If you're looking for a longer richer gaming experience, rather than a pick up and play scenario, along with multimedia capabilities, then the psp is the way to go first.

If you just want a fun handheld, with games you can pick up and play in smaller chunks, then go with the DS.

And snowsquirrell is right on the sleep thing. The fact that I can be playing crisis core, mid battle, and sleep my game then come back a day later and it starts right where I left it, without burning my battery..is a very very nice thing.

I found a guy on craigslist with a psp for $65 that I'm going to see as soon as I get off work in the morning, so I might have one then. Then it's one to figuring which firmware/motherboard I have, getting some cheap games, and hacking/customizing it.

I'm also in the same boat concerning wanting a PSP to alleviate the downtime boredom at work as well as to do something during my train ride to and from work.

I was pretty much sold on getting one after watching some young guy play God of War on his one day on the train back home. Now I'm just waiting for the PSP-3000 bundles to come out, I really don't care that much about being able to play emulators on it, so that is not a selling point for myself.

I also own a PS3 so that gives me extra incentive to want a PSP due to the connectivity features and easy access to demos and downloadable games for it.

The DS is popular and has some very good games on it, but for me personally the PSP is more appealing. I just only wish that the PSP had more Castlevania games on it.

i used to work night shift at my job for me the PSP was a life saver for the mobile stuff like movies and games, the emulation part of the psp sucks depending on what your trying to emulate. But the movie aspect was my biggest draw being able to use stuff like DVD 2 PSP helped for those long nights. Oh and just to coment about keeping firmware up to date as soon as sony lets loose there new firmware the hack comminuty has there custom stuff out the next day

I have a PSP and DS; I do like my DS a lot more. I think it just has a better library in general and it has some real gems on it. I ALSO like to think that it's a bit more portable, but that's just me and my personal taste.

We have both portables in this house and you can't go wrong with either. Both have great games but it really depends on what you like. It seems like you're leaning toward the older games so I would go with the DS.

bread's done
Back