Thinking of trying a pay-for-mp3 site. Do you know what are the good ones?

Requiem

CAGiversary!
There are so many sites out there. Some are scams, others are legit. Which ones have you guys had experience with?

I know of rhapsody and musicnet (aol). Are these good?

Allofmp3 is friggin amazing. It is so ridiculously cheap I could slap myself. You pay like fifty cents for a whole CD.

Try BuyMusic.com,I have been using it since they started offering all their top 100 hits for .79 a single. I haven't had any problems with them so far. Also WalMart.com has singles for .88.

if you've got an ipod easiest way is itunes. But even if you don't the softwear is good, but it is .99 cents a song so there are cheaper places.

I've only used itunes and been very happy with it. Another perk is you can go into stores like best buy or target and purchase pre payed download cards if you don't have a credit card or you don't want to use your credit card on the net.

[quote name='6669'][quote name='Trakan']Why not use a free one?[/quote]

What do you recommend?[/quote]

I use IRC through MIRC for movies, videos, complete albums, and ebooks.
I use BitTorrent through Suprnova.org for complete albums and discographies.
I use Kazaa Lite++ for individual songs, pictures, documents, and videos, but not that often anymore.

I usually download complete albums and transfer them right to my iPod.

suko, it's Russian and you can burn as many times as you want, allofmp3.com let's you download the MP3's and then that's it, you do what you want with them, no limitations. i've been a member since Feb, and i have to say, i'm really impressed. it's still a grey area as far as legal issues (because i'm pretty sure the artists don't see the money. but since the servers are in Russia, the RIAA can't touch them) otherwise that site is great! i paid 10 bucks via paypal, they gave my account an extra dollar, and for each song you download your account is deducted like .035 (depending on the length of the song) i don't download a whole bunch, but i've downloaded about 100 songs and i still have like 3 dollars left!

[quote name='Tespo125'][quote name='6669'][quote name='Trakan']Why not use a free one?[/quote]

What do you recommend?[/quote]

I use IRC through MIRC for movies, videos, complete albums, and ebooks.
I use BitTorrent through Suprnova.org for complete albums and discographies.
I use Kazaa Lite++ for individual songs, pictures, documents, and videos, but not that often anymore.

I usually download complete albums and transfer them right to my iPod.[/quote]

Piracy is bad.

nixon.jpg

[quote name='uesc']suko, it's Russian and you can burn as many times as you want, allofmp3.com let's you download the MP3's and then that's it, you do what you want with them, no limitations. i've been a member since Feb, and i have to say, i'm really impressed. it's still a grey area as far as legal issues (because i'm pretty sure the artists don't see the money. but since the servers are in Russia, the RIAA can't touch them) otherwise that site is great! i paid 10 bucks via paypal, they gave my account an extra dollar, and for each song you download your account is deducted like .035 (depending on the length of the song) i don't download a whole bunch, but i've downloaded about 100 songs and i still have like 3 dollars left![/quote]

So is the 10 dollars like a minimal deposit? I guess I have to figure out how to use it. Anyway, how's the downloading speed? Cause I have a 56k modem.

Anyone know where I can download old chinese songs? Like in the 90-94. Willing to pay if the site has Winnie Lau!

Can you check if they have any Winni Lau songs for me Chris? If they do I might just get shareaza. Just how much better is it compared to klite?

allofmp3, good lord that site is nuts. It even has electronica bands ! And there are even free albums. I'll have to give it a shot.

I'm aware he wants legal means to obtain songs, but I love how people bring up P2P programs, which are primarily used for pirating music, movies, programs, documents, etc. And no one seems to flame or care about it.

But when videogame piracy is brought up, all hell seems to break loose? I don't get it.

Piracy is Piracy.

[quote name='suko_32'][quote name='uesc']suko, it's Russian and you can burn as many times as you want, allofmp3.com let's you download the MP3's and then that's it, you do what you want with them, no limitations. i've been a member since Feb, and i have to say, i'm really impressed. it's still a grey area as far as legal issues (because i'm pretty sure the artists don't see the money. but since the servers are in Russia, the RIAA can't touch them) otherwise that site is great! i paid 10 bucks via paypal, they gave my account an extra dollar, and for each song you download your account is deducted like .035 (depending on the length of the song) i don't download a whole bunch, but i've downloaded about 100 songs and i still have like 3 dollars left![/quote]

So is the 10 dollars like a minimal deposit? I guess I have to figure out how to use it. Anyway, how's the downloading speed? Cause I have a 56k modem.[/quote]

Allofmp3 is awesome. I've dowloaded hundreds of songs for about $25. I use the medium bit rate, so songs only cost around 5 - 10 cents a piece and download a bit faster (I have dial-up too). I recommend that you download their Explorer Program. That way you can add all the songs you want, start it before you go to bed, and let it download all night.

I buy songs through MusicMatch Jukebox. It's an excellent MP3 player (software, not portable hardware), and it has internet radio built in too. Songs are $0.99 and albums are $9.99, so it's not the cheapest deal out there, but it's fully legit. Once you download an MP3, you can play it on up to five computers. I believe there's a limitation on how many times you can burn the same playlist, around 7-10 times; you can always burn the same songs in a different order, though. Purchased MP3s can be transferred to any portable player, unlike iTunes which requires that you transfer them to an iPod.

One of the things that's great about MusicMatch Jukebox is that it helps you discover new music. In the MMJB radio, you can enter a list of artists that you like, and it will create a radio station that plays music similar to those artists. When you hear a song that you like, you can purchase it right from the radio interface.

MMJB has won the PC Magazine editors' choice award for the best music player five times in a row. Here's PC Magazine's review of MMJB.

If you do a serch, AllofMp3 has been talked about on this site before. Its a great site and tis what i use to download my mp3's.

im actually on vacation right now so i cand do that check for you. Believe its the best. NO SPYWARE. Sometimes the songs take a little while but usually not. MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF SONGS.

I gotta agree with most here.

AllofMP3 rocks. You can even suggest artists to them that they don't already have.

The quality and price can't be beat.

Check out FatWallet for a good discussion about legality, although I think we already had a discussion on CAG about them, just too lazy to search

[quote name='Richter']if you use the "standart" encoding option, the song(s) are ripped using the LAME encoder[/quote]

I love how allofmp3 butchers the english language. When I signed up, they sent me an email that said "It appears you seem to have registered."

I've tried a couple, and I recommend in this order-

1. ITUNES - best selection, easy to use
2. Sony Connect - decent selection
3. Napster - easy to use, but missing some selection
4. Rhapsody - easy to use, really missing a bunch of music

It really depends on what you are looking for, all of these are free to download, and you only need to pay if you find a song/album that you like.

Thank you everyone for your helpful input.

Btw, can anyone tell the difference between 320 bit or 128 bit audio. Either my ears are playing tricks on me, but I think the 320 bit rate sounds cleaner and punchier than 128 bit.

I think the higher the bit rate the better. That's probably why 320 sounds better to you. I can't usually tell the difference unless I burn the songs to a cd and then listen to it.

bread's done
Back