This Week in Wii! Week of: January 19 (SimAnimals)

[quote name='CouRageouS'] but why the hell do firefighters pick up HOT DOGS. As an aspiring fire fighter I'm pretty sure I should be offended. :lol:

Anyway, also throughout the levels are a set of something to pick up for a collection spree. Firefighters collect monkeys (again why?),[/quote]

I quite enjoy the stereotypes put out by firefighters. Hot Dogs I understand, because they are typically associated with cookouts and volunteers (which is how it was for a long time)... and in that hot dogs rather than hamburgers because they were cheaper, more available and ideal for big groups.

As far as who the people are picking up... I have absolutely no idea why they collect monkeys... but I find that extremely entertaining. I guess cats would be a better fit :/ But imo monkeys>cats, so I'm happy about that. As far as EMTs picking up coffee? I might believe it more if they picked up playboys :/

Being a firefighter has always been my dream job and I've finally began pursuing it the last year and a half or so. I'd say I've heard all stereotypical firefighter stuff before. You know, extremely handsome, rugged, very VERY strong, does way too many situps, owns a dalmation, has lots of sex, etc. I've never heard anything to do with hot dogs! I think they just took the first thing that came to mind and since hot is associated with fire, they went with hot dogs.

I get why EMT's pick up coffee. If you look inside an ambulance, I'll guarantee there'll be at least a few Starbucks cups in there. If I really think about it, I don't think I've talked to one that wasn't holding coffee at the time. But its not like you'll go to a fire house and see a firefighter eating a hot dog! :bomb:

Damn you :whee: Emergency Mayhem :whee: !!!!!!!

[quote name='CouRageouS']Being a firefighter has always been my dream job and I've finally began pursuing it the last year and a half or so. I'd say I've heard all stereotypical firefighter stuff before. You know, extremely handsome, rugged, very VERY strong, does way too many situps, owns a dalmation, has lots of sex, etc. I've never heard anything to do with hot dogs! I think they just took the first thing that came to mind and since hot is associated with fire, they went with hot dogs.

I get why EMT's pick up coffee. If you look inside an ambulance, I'll guarantee there'll be at least a few Starbucks cups in there. If I really think about it, I don't think I've talked to one that wasn't holding coffee at the time. But its not like you'll go to a fire house and see a firefighter eating a hot dog! :bomb:

Damn you :whee: Emergency Mayhem :whee: !!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Maybe it's hot=fire and dog=dalmatian.

Alright, time for another week. Mario Kart (next Sunday, which counts as this week since I go Monday-to-Monday) is the big deal, along with import Heavenly Guardian, strange rhythm game Battle of the Bands, and the still-hilarious-looking Target: Terror.

I figure Mario Kart's the winner here, but anyone looking at the other titles as well?

[quote name='Charron']Alright, time for another week. Mario Kart (next Sunday, which counts as this week since I go Monday-to-Monday) is the big deal, along with import Heavenly Guardian, strange rhythm game Battle of the Bands, and the still-hilarious-looking Target: Terror.

I figure Mario Kart's the winner here, but anyone looking at the other titles as well?[/quote]
A new Zapper game? With seemingly endless waves of...it really doesn't matter. I have no idea what Target:terror is and the title alone makes me retch, but I will probably get it.

I'll be checking out Battle of the Bands at some point, and I've been curious about Heavenly Guardian, but I dunno if I'll actually try it since I didn't like the Pocky & Rocky games much. My girlfriend's telling me she's gonna get Mario Kart for us since it's her favorite series; I'm not that excited though. Can't believe they took out bomb battles...

Battle of the Bands has intrigued me, but probably not $50 worth of intrigue. Might try to rent that before Mario Kart shows up.

[quote name='mephitical']A new Zapper game? With seemingly endless waves of...it really doesn't matter. I have no idea what Target:terror is and the title alone makes me retch, but I will probably get it.[/QUOTE]
Target: Terror is a port of an arcade light-gun game, which was originally an over-the-top parody of the photorealistic light gun games at the time. If you've played Area 51 or Maximum Force, then you'll know what Target: Terror is mocking.

I actually played the arcade version of T:T a few months back, and despite the goofy theme, it's a solid light gun game. The screen shots released makes it look crazier than it really was; the levels I played were more conventional and less "far out," but maybe that changes in the later levels.

Trivia: Target: Terror was developed by Eugene Jarvis, one of Williams' infamous "Wiz Kidz" and the co-creator of Defender, Stargate, and Robotron: 2084.

--R.J.

Well, it's made official this week, I've been at this for two months now. And this week makes a perfect snapshot of my job so far- a quirky, quality game; a quirky game of less certain quality; and some good ol' fashioned shovelware.

Anyone looking at Spielberg's latest foray into gaming? Or how about the other two retail releases, or either of the virtual offerings? Or are you saving up for next week's WiiWare?

[quote name='Charron']Well, it's made official this week, I've been at this for two months now. And this week makes a perfect snapshot of my job so far- a quirky, quality game; a quirky game of less certain quality; and some good ol' fashioned shovelware.

Anyone looking at Spielberg's latest foray into gaming? Or how about the other two retail releases, or either of the virtual offerings? Or are you saving up for next week's WiiWare?[/quote]
It's a good thing I draw a decent salary, because I can't even articulate how excited I am for Boom Blox. And WiiWare.

I kinda wanna get Pokemon Puzzle League tomorrow..buuutttt..WiiWare will be out in a week. I'd rather save my points..oh, who am I kidding I have BILLIONS of points. It's the space I'n trying to save :lol: :(

I'll wait on Boom Blox, it'll be cheap eventually.

[quote name='lilboo']I'll wait on Boom Blox, it'll be cheap eventually.[/QUOTE]

That's the way I'm looking at it. As much as I'd love to get the game, I just don't have the $50 right now, and I can't think of a single EA title from the past three or four years that didn't drop to $20, if not cheaper, within a year of its release.

Hmm Boom Blox seems pretty interesting since you can remix any level in the game. Although it is EA and I hate EA so unless this game drops to $20 or less I wont look at it. Also eww to the speed racer game. It looks just like a crappier F-Zero clone and I really really hate the new speed racer (just because of how they butchered speed racer compared to the classic anime).

Although yay to pokemon puzzle league coming out this week. Although I own tetris attack, and wont be buying it, this game is fantastic.

I got the chance to play Target Terror. Its hilarious. Its hard not to laugh when a dude is flinging packs of dynamite at you and all the bad dudes are wearing sunglasses. Why? Because they're that bad.

I also got to play Battle of the Bands. As a rhythm game junkie, I hopped right into the hardest difficulty and blazed through a few songs. I picked the Mariachi team and it was pretty funny hearing all these songs in Spanish. Its an okay game but a bit shallow. At its core its waggle to the beat and block attacks as necessary. Worth a rental if your curious, only worth owning if you're desperate for a rhythm game and are sick of the usual suspects.

[quote name='lilboo']:rofl: I want to play Target Terror because it looks so awful. Is that a good $10 game? (I would not pay more then that)[/quote]
I am the exact same way about Target Terror. I want it so much because it appears to be completely terrible (and you know how I love shooting games on the Wii). I can't believe it's coming out at such a high MSRP. I suspect we'll only have to wait a few months to get this one dirt cheap.

Well, the next Wii Series game is coming along to much fanfare, and (if I remember right) a Gaffer-made game is coming to America's WiiWare. Anyone planning on cleaning out their virtual fridge after last week, or their real fridge as part of their Wii Fit diet plan?

I've cleaned my fuckin fridge 6x a fuckin week :bomb: I am down to 4 WiiWare games and bout 5 VC games :bomb:

:cry:
I might get Wii Fit, but who knows. I'm probably not getting Critter Round-Up or Star solider R

Storage problems?! Ha! That is ONLY for a SMALL fraction of people :roll:

[size=-2].....even though they are the ones supporting the wii shop channel....[/size]

No wonder you're losing so much weight. Its over the stress of moving the channels and blocks from HD to SD to DP to ATM. Now hold up those jeans!

[quote name='lilboo']WTF is Monkey King?!
Never heard of that. I also did not know of a Death Jr coming to Wii too!
The hell is goin on?! :dunce:[/quote]
I remember reading about both a while ago and since I didn't care I made myself forget. I like how shiny Emergency Heroes is. I'll probably use my five-year-old as an excuse to get it "because one day he'll be old enough for it". Then I'll play it after he goes to bed and drive my police car and fire truck around.

[quote name='lilboo']WTF is Monkey King?!
Never heard of that. I also did not know of a Death Jr coming to Wii too!
The hell is goin on?! :dunce:[/quote]

Monkey King is some sort of side-scrolling shooter, I don't understand why.

Death Jr. is apparently pretty good, by the reviews so far.

Seems like Death Jr. is getting positive reviews - around an 80 or so thus far.

I've known about the series for a while, so I checked out some information on it. Seems like the controls are good and the game plays nicely. I get a Psychonauts vibe from it. However, most people are saying the story is stale, which is something Psychonauts did very well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game seems just under that threshhold that would make it more desireable, but it's not so low that I'll ignore it.

Mmmmm.

Stupid movie tie-ins. Luckily I got goozex matched for two newer games to satisfy my fix. A friend keeps recommending Baroque and I'm getting Wild Earth: African Safari in the hopes that it's vaguely like Endless Ocean. I know it won't be, but I've got goozex points to burn.

I wish I could get excited for Blast Works. I really do. But I just can't get into this kind of game, and I can't imagine the creation tools are enough to make it worth it for me.

Blast Works for me. The main game, plus 4 other Kenta Cho games already makes this a must own for shmup fans. Then there's the creation tools and community sharing (that Boom Blox should have had).

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Blast Works for me. The main game, plus 4 other Kenta Cho games already makes this a must own for shmup fans. Then there's the creation tools and community sharing (that Boom Blox should have had).[/QUOTE]

FYI, Speedy's ads show a $10 giftcard with purchase next week at Circuit City.

Definitely has me interested, but as I'll try to pick up Geometry Wars this week on clearance, I'll probably wait for a drop on Blast Works.

I can't decide between Boom Blox and Blast Works. I can only get one. I've played Boom Blox and love it, but Blast Works looks amazing as well. I'm leaning towards Blox. What do you all think?

[quote name='Knockout Ned']I can't decide between Boom Blox and Blast Works. I can only get one. I've played Boom Blox and love it, but Blast Works looks amazing as well. I'm leaning towards Blox. What do you all think?[/quote]

boom blox

Thanks for keeping up with this Charron. Realized I hadn't updated my Wii Tag in ages, got all my icon updates ready to go for Paint.net tonight.

Just a note for the record- I've omitted updates this week because of a lot of business on my front- I interviewed for (and subsequently got) a job over the last week. (Hooray for bunny!) I should be more active, if not this week, then the next, once I'm settled in. I'll keep up with what's coming out, though. And besides, there's dozens of better places for news anyway. :p

Anyone paying attention to releases this week, or is everyone just paying attention to E3? There's a football game with a big giant head on the cover....

I'm still mildly curious about We Love Golf, but since it doesn't use motion controls I'm thinking I'm better off saving my money and hoping the next Tiger Woods nails the swing control. Playing golf as Chun-Li would be pretty cool, but I've been playing golf games for 20 years and am pretty tired of the various controller-based swing motions.

bread's done
Back