Lice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Untitled-4.jpg

-Welcome To The Official Thor thread-
marvel-studios-logo.jpg

thor-comic-con-teaser-poster-550x356.jpg

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment present the epic adventure, "Thor," which spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It's while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Trailer 1
Trailer 2

Teaser 1

Thor Concept art:
Click Here

Behind the Scenes Feature:
Click Here

Set Visit:
Click Here

Character Poster Set:
thor_posters.jpg

Thorplate.jpg

Director:
Kenneth Branagh

Filming begins January 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
IMDB:

# Sleuth (2007)
# The Magic Flute (2006)
... aka Flûte enchantée, La (France)
# As You Like It (2006)
# Listening (2003)
# Love's Labour's Lost (2000)
... aka Peines d'amour perdues (Canada: French title) (France)

# Hamlet (1996)
... aka William Shakespeare's Hamlet (USA: complete title)
# In the Bleak Midwinter (1995)
... aka A Midwinter's Tale (USA)
# Frankenstein (1994)
... aka Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (USA: complete title)
# Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
# Peter's Friends (1992)
# Swan Song (1992)
# Dead Again (1991)

That's a whole lot of nothing.

I loved Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet and think he's a pretty solid actor. I would support him as director of the Thor movie.

[quote name='coolsteel']I think The Cell was the worst movie i've ever seen , if that joker is on board count me out.[/quote]

Really? The worst?

It could be a bit slow and the VR angle was a little gimmicky but I definately thought it was worth a watch.

Now as for Thor - just what we need, another thinly-veiled Christ figure. Perhaps after that we could do a movie about a "hooker with a heart of gold" or how about "smalltown USA boy saves world". Give it one of those twist endings too, the audience will never see it coming!

Big budget Hollywood, where the scenery changes but the story remains the same.

[quote name='camoor']Really? The worst?

It could be a bit slow and the VR angle was a little gimmicky but I definately thought it was worth a watch.

Now as for Thor - just what we need, another thinly-veiled Christ figure. Perhaps after that we could do a movie about a "hooker with a heart of gold" or how about "smalltown USA boy saves world". Give it one of those twist endings too, the audience will never see it coming!

Big budget Hollywood, where the scenery changes but the story remains the same.[/quote]

Well, he is a Norse god and I assume they'll cover the mythology. So, if you don't like mythology, you may not want to see this. ;)

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt we'll see Thor portrayed as Jesus or some Passion of the Christ level/serious drama. Marvel wants to do an Avengers movie. I doubt they would want such a great discrepancy in feel between all of the characters they'd gather up and put into the Avengers movie.

As for the Thor movie, I want Loki as the antagonist with Destroyer as one of the big fights. I would actually prefer the Ultimate Thor story for the Thor movie. How Thor is perceived as crazy and has his godhood doubted would be pretty interesting as opposed to his 616 story.

I've never been a big Thor fan, but it's a Marvel movie, so I'm compelled to at least give it a chance. Plus, bigger box office take = more hope for the Avengers movie.

I do recall Thor talking in a hybrid Shakespearen English in the comics.

With Greek Mythology being made into several movies, its a small wonder no one covered Norse mythology.

[quote name='Xevious']I do recall Thor talking in a hybrid Shakespearen English in the comics.

With Greek Mythology being made into several movies, its a small wonder no one covered Norse mythology.[/quote]

Wasn't Beowulf part of that Norse mythology you thought was missing?
And in a very teeny part 13th warrior?

I think the biggest issue with Norse is that it's mostly overshadowed by Greek/Egyptain mythology.

Most of all the stories from my angle don't get the coverage because they don't have the showmanship as the other ones get. There isn't much in physical evidence that provides hype and continuation of the stories.

Greeks have all the ruins and statues and paintings and a heavy history.... same with Egypt, and it's many pyramids... it's in your face and easy to make stories and tell stories around it.

Norse may have their vikings and tall tales, but what part of their mythology comes out in physical form...

I'm all for getting more out of it....

I think the Norse are more interesting simply because I don't know it, but what evolves around it are fantastic, and is different than just a Greek/Egypt model.

I'll try to see this movie, but I highly doubt the wife will let me.

[quote name='Chase']Well, he is a Norse god and I assume they'll cover the mythology. So, if you don't like mythology, you may not want to see this. ;)

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt we'll see Thor portrayed as Jesus or some Passion of the Christ level/serious drama. Marvel wants to do an Avengers movie. I doubt they would want such a great discrepancy in feel between all of the characters they'd gather up and put into the Avengers movie.

As for the Thor movie, I want Loki as the antagonist with Destroyer as one of the big fights. I would actually prefer the Ultimate Thor story for the Thor movie. How Thor is perceived as crazy and has his godhood doubted would be pretty interesting as opposed to his 616 story.[/quote]

For the Avengers movie, I doubt it's going to walk in lockstep with the themes of these solo superhero outings. I mean, are they really going to be able to get Downey back as Iron Man? Besides, if the Thor film is going to be as experimental and complicated as we're hearing, I think you can reasonably expect a more commercial Hulk-style character reboot for the eventual popcorn-movie superhero team cash in.

And I really could care less about another Christ figure. It's so boring, so done, so played. Just look at Superman Returns, it absolutely sucked. We want dark conflicted antiheroes, badasses who dole out vigilante justice. I liked how XMen definatively made resident goody-too-shoes Cyclops into a frequently humiliated secondary character, the director was smart enough to know that people bought their tickets to see Wolverine.

[quote name='xycury']Wasn't Beowulf part of that Norse mythology you thought was missing?
And in a very teeny part 13th warrior?

I think the biggest issue with Norse is that it's mostly overshadowed by Greek/Egyptain mythology.

Most of all the stories from my angle don't get the coverage because they don't have the showmanship as the other ones get. There isn't much in physical evidence that provides hype and continuation of the stories.

Greeks have all the ruins and statues and paintings and a heavy history.... same with Egypt, and it's many pyramids... it's in your face and easy to make stories and tell stories around it.

Norse may have their vikings and tall tales, but what part of their mythology comes out in physical form...

I'm all for getting more out of it....

I think the Norse are more interesting simply because I don't know it, but what evolves around it are fantastic, and is different than just a Greek/Egypt model.

I'll try to see this movie, but I highly doubt the wife will let me.[/quote]

I would imagine that movies based on Egyptian/Greek mythology was also cheaper to produce.

For Greek mythology all you needed was a deserted island, some body builders, a beautiful witch and a few stop-motion monsters. Splice in some shots of the gods as toga-wearing chess-playing aristocrats and you've got a solid feature.

Egyptian is even easier, you find a desert and string together a plot involving mummies, secret cults, and curses.

[quote name='Xevious']I do recall Thor talking in a hybrid Shakespearen English in the comics.[/quote]

Have at thee! Fetch me a flagon of mead, wench!

I don't know if they'll have him speaking in an olde english way or not. That could get old and corny pretty fast. I just hope they don't have him constantly talking about grog or meade.

[quote name='camoor']I would imagine that movies based on Egyptian/Greek mythology was also cheaper to produce.

For Greek mythology all you needed was a deserted island, some body builders, a beautiful witch and a few stop-motion monsters. Splice in some shots of the gods as toga-wearing chess-playing aristocrats and you've got a solid feature.

Egyptian is even easier, you find a desert and string together a plot involving mummies, secret cults, and curses.[/quote]

haha, so true!

But I think alot of this was also what's in museums... you see those mummies and those figures of the gods of greek, yet what do you see from the Norse side... a sheild and a boat and possibly a painting... maybe a jar of something or other.

I wouldn't mind a few movies to be made, there is enough lore there to make something good.

Anyways, yeah, I hope for a dark Thor, one of those crazy types.

And I could see Downy to do an Avenger for the right price, maybe after his soon exit from rehab would work, quick $$$.

You know, if Downey were a rich engineer, he'd be Tony Stark. They couldn't have picked a more perfect person for the role. I don't know if they'll ever touch on Stark's alcoholism or not, but Downey should certainly be able to handle that if they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='camoor']Really? The worst?

Big budget Hollywood, where the scenery changes but the story remains the same.[/QUOTE]

Too much style over substance, the story bored me to tears which is why if the same guy is writing Thor i'm concerned.

Who would be Thor? Thats the big question....

Triple H kinda looks like Thor but he isn't a good enough actor.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't know if they'll have him speaking in an olde english way or not. That could get old and corny pretty fast. I just hope they don't have him constantly talking about grog or meade.[/quote]

It would be a great way to open the movie though. You could have a corny Thor talking that way, the audience is going "Oh shi-" and then cut away to find it was just a play or some kids show - a mini-parody within the movie.

[quote name='xycury']haha, so true!

But I think alot of this was also what's in museums... you see those mummies and those figures of the gods of greek, yet what do you see from the Norse side... a sheild and a boat and possibly a painting... maybe a jar of something or other.

I wouldn't mind a few movies to be made, there is enough lore there to make something good.

Anyways, yeah, I hope for a dark Thor, one of those crazy types.

And I could see Downy to do an Avenger for the right price, maybe after his soon exit from rehab would work, quick $$$.[/quote]

I totally agree - Thor should be dark, just like the subject matter. These weren't peaceful sing-song gods who lived by the golden rule, they kicked ass, played dirty, and drank mead by the river.

[quote name='Xevious']Who would be Thor? Thats the big question....

Triple H kinda looks like Thor but he isn't a good enough actor.[/quote]

Yeah if it's Triple H I am officially not going.

[quote name='Chase']I loved Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet and think he's a pretty solid actor. I would support him as director of the Thor movie.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit I had a complete brain fart, I read the name but didn't read the name . Hell yeah I liked his Hamlet too, this might turn out good.

[quote name='dinovelvet']LOL. Well, he's no Michael Bay.[/quote]

That's what I wanted to point out too... do we need a AAA director to make Thor? Have a "good" script and someone that knows what they are doing, and it'll be good.

plus there are some known good movies in that list, not epic award winning ones, but who's going to think that Thor will win awards...

Sam Raimi had a odd background before spiderman... It can be done, maybe he just hasnt had the big budget to produce large films. Just because he hasnt done a big budget superhero movie doesnt mean its not possible to be good.

I vote Kevin Sorbo as Thor. Seconed runner up to Vin Diesel... ;)

Branagh could also play Donald Blake, if they go that route. Casting Thor is difficult if they do not want to hire an unknown. I love pro-wrestling but keep them out of the movie. I want an actor. People may have less expectations about the acting for Thor than Spider-Man, but I still would prefer an actor.

[quote name='camoor']It would be a great way to open the movie though. You could have a corny Thor talking that way, the audience is going "Oh shi-" and then cut away to find it was just a play or some kids show - a mini-parody within the movie.
[/quote]
That could work.

Updated OP with actor chosen to play Thor.

George Kirk from the new star trek. Personally I think hes a bit young, and in the movie seemed a bit flat in the acting arena....

What you guys think?

So is he supposed to be Thor or Donald Blake... or both?

But I agree, Thor is like 600 pounds of pure muscle, this guy need to get jacked up.

[quote name='Rodimus']So is he supposed to be Thor or Donald Blake... or both?

But I agree, Thor is like 600 pounds of pure muscle, this guy need to get jacked up.[/QUOTE]

If he went through the 300 type training, he should be ok..

Loki actor confirmed: Tom Hiddleston

From SuperHeroHype

Tom Hiddleston is Thor's Loki
Source: Deadline Hollywood Daily
May 18, 2009

After breaking the news that Star Trek and "Home and Away" star Chris Hemsworth has been cast in the title role of Marvel Studios' Thor, Deadline Hollywood Daily has now also learned that director Kenneth Branagh has cast his nemesis, Loki.

The part has gone to Tom Hiddleston, an award-winning British actor and Royal Academy Of Dramatic Arts (RADA) graduate. He played Winston Churchill's son in HBO's "The Gathering Storm" and has starred in "Ivanov" opposite Branagh on the London stage and also starred with him in the BBC miniseries "Wallander."

Thor is targeted for a May 20, 2011 release.

[quote name='PR Mega X']Loki actor confirmed: Tom Hiddleston

From SuperHeroHype

Tom Hiddleston is Thor's Loki
Source: Deadline Hollywood Daily
May 18, 2009

After breaking the news that Star Trek and "Home and Away" star Chris Hemsworth has been cast in the title role of Marvel Studios' Thor, Deadline Hollywood Daily has now also learned that director Kenneth Branagh has cast his nemesis, Loki.

The part has gone to Tom Hiddleston, an award-winning British actor and Royal Academy Of Dramatic Arts (RADA) graduate. He played Winston Churchill's son in HBO's "The Gathering Storm" and has starred in "Ivanov" opposite Branagh on the London stage and also starred with him in the BBC miniseries "Wallander."

Thor is targeted for a May 20, 2011 release.[/QUOTE]

Two actors that pretty much nobody knows or cares about, given the leads in a summer blockbuster? That's pretty ballsy. I would be surprised if this is a success, the character of Thor might be inaccessible for many because of the olde English. How will they make that "cool" for 13 year olds? This could end up as incredibly campy, or pretentious, or both.

I'm actually glad they went with nobodies. That will take the focus off the actors and more on the movie. I'd also imagine it's easier to work with nobodies, (Edward Norton anyone?) Thor has got to be an incredibly difficult character to cast for.

Thor is one of my favorite comic book characters ever, I really hope they don't fuck up this movie.

[quote name='JolietJake']I don't know if they'll ever touch on Stark's alcoholism or not, but Downey should certainly be able to handle that if they do.[/QUOTE]

I just watched A Scanner Darkly recent and I am in complete agreement with this statement.

If Marvel can establish just one more character I think they could pull off a Avengers movie. They have Ironman and Hulk so far. They could adapt the plot from the Ultimates where you have the Hulk as the villain while Ironman, Samuel L Jackson (as Nick Fury), and one more established character (Thor if this movie works) are trying to capture him. You could introduce Captain America in the Avengers movie as a potential way to create a new franchise for him. Hell it might be possible to throw in Wolverine too. I know all those comic fanboys would love a Hulk vs Wolverine matchup. There might be problems with getting the same actors together and I don't even know which director could pull this off but it's possible. At least this is how I picture a Avengers movie in my head.

I think it's safe to say the Avengers movie is a sure thing. Sam Jackson has signed on to reprise his role as Fury in several movies. Downey has shown interest in being Iron Man in an Avengers movie, but I'm not sure if anything is official yet. Norton's role as Banner is up in the air, I think Marvel's still working it out. It's rumored that Thor will make a cameo in Iron Man II. And a Captian America movie has already been confirmed titled: "Captian American: The First Avenger." The Cap movie is set to come out only months before the Avengers movie in which it will seagway into.

Take all this with a grain of salt, nothing is set in stone.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Two actors that pretty much nobody knows or cares about, given the leads in a summer blockbuster? That's pretty ballsy. I would be surprised if this is a success, the character of Thor might be inaccessible for many because of the olde English. How will they make that "cool" for 13 year olds? This could end up as incredibly campy, or pretentious, or both.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with casting nobodies...THere is a lot of talent out there.

I have been keeping this thing updated with new cast members as they have been added. I haven't bumped it until now. Looks like a full line up.

IMO they have a pretty good cast so far. The guy they got playing Hogun fits great. I always thought he looked asian.

[quote name='Rodimus']IMO they have a pretty good cast so far. The guy they got playing Hogun fits great. I always thought he looked asian.[/QUOTE]

Asano really has to work on his English though

Thanks linkin. I put it on the OP. I will replace the images with the in movie version as this stuff starts to roll out.

I think it seems pretty cool. Maybe a bit more realistic would of been nice, though, Cant really judge until there is a nice straight on shot.

bread's done
Back