Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ninja dog']usually people bid with the shipping cost in mind...i've never understood people's issues with shipping on auctions. $15 + $5 shipping or $13 + $7 shipping-- it's the same difference ;)[/QUOTE]

But many of the auctions for their items start at $20 for a PS2 or end up being $30-35, so that's $70 for a pile of shit that I could get from another seller on the same site for $25 total.

They gouge out the wazoo and are unapologetic about it. The only halfway decent option for buying from them is if you live in the Tacoma(WA) area. Then you could just schedule to come in and pick it up and maybe pay their 'handling' bullshit charge and skip the shipping.

Saw at one GW a boxed Sega Genesis for ..........$70 HAHAHA with a bunch of crap games sitting by it for $4 apiece. Stopped by my closest GW and they had one (no box but still) for $8. It wouldntve been worth $70 if I grabbed every single game I could find in the vhs section and the ones sitting by it in the glasscase.

EDIT- they were all sports games except Sonic one which "wasnt included with system".

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='juangrande386']Saw at one GW a boxed Sega Genesis for ..........$70 HAHAHA with a bunch of crap games sitting by it for $4 apiece. Stopped by my closest GW and they had one (no box but still) for $8. It wouldntve been worth $70 if I grabbed every single game I could find in the vhs section and the ones sitting by it in the glasscase.[/QUOTE]
Unless some of those games were the harder to find/rare ones for the Genesis and complete/mint. Then it might be worth it, assuming you could resell all of those games and get the system for next to nothing.:D:applause:

Im going to hit up my local goodwill tomorrow, things are alot easier with a license now, i can check out stores like that peridoicaly, ill check back to let you guys how things went although my hopes arent high, im expecting things to be overpriced.

[quote name='LilPaintballer']Im going to hit up my local goodwill tomorrow, things are alot easier with a license now, i can check out stores like that peridoicaly, ill check back to let you guys how things went although my hopes arent high, im expecting things to be overpriced.[/QUOTE]

You can get lucky, we have several different stores but only one good one ( although it has changed in the following months, they started putting crap games in this glass display case lol, and putting stuff on shopgoodwill I believe since one of the women working there mentioned something online ) it's these bins instead of shelves, and they just dump everything ( it sucks since sometimes things break, but worth it since they rarely look through it, and if they do they get the crap ps2/360 games/dvds then put them in the glass display case, all the good ps1/older are in the bins waiting for me :D )

Now then, this was all in one bin with toys, I managed to grab most but some didn't look like they were worth it so dumped those (sega saturn mainly ). But I got:

Chrono-Cross, 2 of them $1.00
The Legend of Dragoon $1.00
FFVIII $1.00 although I don't know why I got it, doesn't have 1st disk :(

Legend of Legaia $1.00, for a second I thought this was secret of mana and got hyped :cry:

Resident Evil Survivor $1.00
FF Origins $1.00
FF Tactics $1.00
Bubble Bobble featuring Rainbow Islands $1.00

then I got several Sega-cd/saturn/genesis games and most of them turned out to be meh :( although the cd/saturn ones are like new with the sponge.

Great finds at half price books:

Brain Lord - NEW -- $10
9o8eD.jpg

KIdmt.jpg

Batman: Revenge Of the Joker -- New? -- $10 -- Need advice on whether this is a reseal, so I took a bunch of pics. It's in shabby condition regardless.

7tSCg.jpg

XkZDI.jpg

Rd8A3.jpg

Went to Goodwill on Friday and picked up some stuff.
Found some NES games for $2 each as well as FINALLY finding MW2 again for $5...they had dozens of them a few months back, but I was dumb and didn't buy one.

I also picked up Samurai Showdown II for the PC for $2 - minty and still sealed.

img4849.png

img4854q.jpg

[quote name='ninja dog']Batman: Revenge Of the Joker -- New? -- $10 -- Need advice on whether this is a reseal, so I took a bunch of pics. It's in shabby condition regardless.[/QUOTE]

Looks legit to me.

I found a Logitech Cordless Rumble Pad 2 at local Goodwill for 10$. It was is in almost new condition, came with driver disc, receiver, manual and controller of course. Just had sharpie markings all over it. :?

PS1 Digimon World complete - $2.00

SNES system w/ RF adapter - $15
Managed to knock the price so low because there was no AC adapter or controllers which I fortunately already have. My current SNES doesn't really work, so $15 for a replacement that's in better condition ain't bad.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Looks legit to me.[/QUOTE]

so Genesis seals were weird looking like that? are there any tell-tale signs of factory cellophane (like the vertical seam on the back of SNES games?)

i wanna sell it, but i'm worried about the buyer being unhappy with it.

I'd buy it for $5, but I'd rip the shrink wrap off and play the game.

Games were meant to be played.

Meanwhile, I visited my favorite non-thrift store, and picked up a copy of Bioshock for $25. \m/

EDIT: Just snapped a few pictures and put them on the blog. For some reason, I can't get them to post properly here lately..

[quote name='jaysapathy']I'd buy it for $5, but I'd rip the shrink wrap off and play the game.

Games were meant to be played.[/QUOTE]

nobody asked

[quote name='ninja dog']nobody asked[/QUOTE]

Except you by mentioning it.

Anyway, picked up a DVD recorder from the Goodwill for $5. I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't work but for $5 I had to take the chance. I plugged it in at the store and it powered on and you can change the channels but the tray wouldn't open or anything, so I risked it by presuming there was a menu or something I had to get through first. Probably unwise, but worst case scenario, I don't have money for the cigarettes I'm trying to quit anyway.

Also, you know what else my Goodwill has? Booze. Because why the hell not?

[quote name='Survivalism']Except you by mentioning it.
[/QUOTE]

no, i asked what a factory sealed genesis game looks like.

keep the drama in the morality thread plz thx

[quote name='ninja dog']so Genesis seals were weird looking like that? are there any tell-tale signs of factory cellophane (like the vertical seam on the back of SNES games?)

i wanna sell it, but i'm worried about the buyer being unhappy with it.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's what I remember Sega Master System & Genesis games being sealed like. I'll look around tonight and see what I have sealed that I can take a picture of for a comparison (will post tomarrow). Nothing in particular that I remember off hand for Genesis games like the vertical seam.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Yep that's what I remember Sega Master System & Genesis games being sealed like. I'll look around tonight and see what I have sealed that I can take a picture of for a comparison (will post tomarrow). Nothing in particular that I remember off hand for Genesis games like the vertical seam.[/QUOTE]

cool, thanks for the quick response :)

[quote name='ninja dog']i asked what a factory sealed genesis game looks like.
[/QUOTE]
the hard black cased genesis games usually have the seam by the opening (top, right, and bottom). i think the best way to tell if its resealed is by looking at the actual case inside the seal. look for wear and tear along the edges of the case. if there is ever any wear, it would be outside not on the inside. the plastic should also show wear if there is wear on the inside (how else would it get in there in the first place)

if its the cardboard box case, the seam would also be at the top but sometimes there are overlap seams in the back itself. i was gonna try to show some sealed pics but i think i might have misplaced them somewhere. look here instead

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQLHQ5fCompleteZ1?_nkw=sega%20genesis%20sealed&=&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=sealed&_osacat=0

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow. There's an auction on ShopGoodwill now with Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Xenogears and Dragon Warrior VII. But the auction is already up to over $80 with over a day to go.

I can't make out what game is the purple disc in the lower left corner, but it might be another hard to find one, which explains the higher auction price thus far.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/21-Play-Station-Video-Game-Discs-6508534.html[/QUOTE]

That purple game is Star Gladiator....Capcom fighting game...its fun, but I don't think its rare.

Ahhh. Thanks. I knew someone would know what that game was.

I found another one on the ShopGoodwill site too.

An Emerson Arcadia 2001 w/ 8 games that all appear to be complete in their respective boxes(games average from a low of $10 for CIB up to $40 something on RarityGuide.com), but the colors they chose to use for the game names on the side of the boxes is frickin' blinding.:puke:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6519538

The auction is only up to $6 right now, but shipping for me is almost $20 from SGW.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Ahhh. Thanks. I knew someone would know what that game was.

I found another one on the ShopGoodwill site too.

An Emerson Arcadia 2001 w/ 8 games that all appear to be complete in their respective boxes(games average from a low of $10 for CIB up to $40 something on RarityGuide.com), but the colors they chose to use for the game names on the side of the boxes is frickin' blinding.:puke:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6519538

The auction is only up to $6 right now, but shipping for me is almost $20 from SGW.[/QUOTE]

No problem! :D

NES, composite cables, and SMB/Duck Hunt. No power cable or controller though but I wont pass up a $10 NES. Swapped out the NES already plugged into my tv and it turned on first try. The other goodwill i go to usually has a couple controllers layin around for $3 and I bet I could find an ac adapter that works.

Nice finds at thrift stores past two days. Last pic is NOT from a thrift store but a local place I had some credit built up.

IMAG1537.jpg

Knights Old Republic II PC $3
The Dame Was Loaded $2
X-Com Collector's Edition $2
Elder Scrolls Daggerfall x2 $2 each
Elder Scrolls Battelspire $2

IMAG1538.jpg

GBA and some sort of rumble thing $5 (has the charger and everything, just not pictured)

IMAG1514.jpg

Civil War Generals 2 $3
Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9 $25
X-Men vs. Street Fighter $2.50
X-Men Mutant Academy $2.50
Crackers Series 1 $7
Mario Teaches Typing 2 (NEW SEALED) $3
Backstreet Billiards $1.99

IMAG1517.jpg

Buck Rogers Battle For the 25th Century Game

IMAG1536.jpg

NOT AT A THRIFT STORE!! But I needed to post it. First time I have ever seen it. $90, but I had built up credit so it probably actually only cost me about $50 real money.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Wow. I didn't realized any 32X games went for that much. I think my one buddy had that game back in the day too. It's listed as $111 or so on VGPC.com.[/QUOTE]

a complete one on ebay went for $162.

Again....WOW. Now I really wanna kick my own ass since so many of my Genesis and PS1 games I had back in the day are now worth so damned much.:bomb:

I guess collectors have the right idea. Never sell any stuff and keep it all till Doomsday. Although some shit becomes worthless over time while select few go up through the damned roof.

Checked out a local goodwill, nothing videogame related even in the store. Correction they had a old beat up Playstation for 10$ with no cords:roll:.

Though I did find a Stephen King's The Stand 1st edition hardback for 2.50$. Already had the extended uncut paperback but couldn't pass up the hard back original for that price.

Picked up the following:
Game related
The Dominator wireless controller for NES - 3.99

Non game related
17 LCD Dell monitor - 29.99
Gemini turntable - 29.99
Yamaha keyboard - 49.99 flipped for 250
Uggs boots - 3.00 flipped for 31.00

I haven't been to a thrift store in about 2 weeks. Today I just decided to just check out my local Goodwill and I actually found lots of stuff.

photo-6.jpg

NES games $1.99 each
Ducktales, Tiny Toon Adventures, Castlevania 2, Kid Kool
Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum, Rocket Ranger, Spy vs Spy, Flying Warriors
Quattro Sports, Castlevania 2 (boxed, complete), Othello (boxed, complete), MagMax (boxed, complete)
N64 007 Goldeneye $2.99

photo-7.jpg

PS1 FF IX $3.99 (discs are mint)
PS1 Time Crisis $3.99 (disc is mint)
Sega Genesis Jewel Master $1.99 (just box and cartridge)

photo-5.jpg

Laserdiscs $1.49 each (both had clear plastic covers and the discs were in very good condition)
North by Northwest
The Sting

I did see a boxed original xbox for ~$40, but who knows how long that will last even if it does actually work.

Picked up a few things at a local gaming thrift store this afternoon:

Genesis: QuackShot (complete), Alien 3 (complete), TMNT Tournament Fighters (complete), and Castle Of Illusion (complete).

While I was hanging around, a guy brought in a large tote of PS2 goodness to trade in. At the very top, however, was an original GameBoy in the psuedo-leather case, complete with LightBoy, connector cable, and power adapter. The store wouldn't take it, and the guy offered it to me for whatever I had in my wallet: $3. On top of that, the store gave me their other one, saying they'd never sell it. The whole mess cost me $10. Not a bad way to spend some change.

Picked this up at SA for 24.99:

SNES console with all cables and 2 controllers, and all cart only:
Super Mario World
The Lost Vikings
Populous
Spider-Man/X-Men Arcade's Revenge

Already flipped the SNES and SMW for more or less double my investment, keeping the other games for now. I never knew The Lost Vikings was made by Blizzard, guess you learn something new every day.

Got a sealed copy of Band Hero for PS2, and Pirates! and Painkiller: Overdose for PC for 3 bucks apiece at my local Salvation Army.

I haven't stopped by my local Salvation Army thrift store in months, but I just so happened to be passing by on my way to an appointment so I decided to pop in. My store rarely has anything game related (the last thing I remember them having was an old Playstation that they wanted $25 for :roll:), so imagine my surprise when I saw a stack of Dreamcast games behind the counter. I asked the worker if I could have a look and she took out the whole stack for me. There was nothing that really tempted me (Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket, Virtua Tennis - all of which I had).

Just when I was about to give up, the lady plops down another small stack of games. The first two games I see in this new stack:

Picture.jpg

:drool: I suddenly didn't care about the rest of the games (which weren't any good anyway). I nonchalantly as possible asked her how much the games were and she tells me $1.99 each.

I nodded and paid and just about cackled my way out the door :bouncy:.

Picked up a complete Illuminati: New World Order "One With Everything" Factory Set today for $1.00 at a local thrift store. It's been out of print since 1995 and new copies are selling for $100+ on eBay, so I can't say I did too bad.

I picked up two SNES games at the SA store that I previously had scored SMW, SMAS, LOZ: LTTP, DKC and DKC2 from.

I found:

*Mortal Kombat 2(with some sort of burn mark on the plastic part of the cart)
*Phalanx(side scrolling space shooter...which has a picture of a redneck looking older guy with a Banjo on it:rofl: weirdest combination ever)

Same image as below is on the cart, but it's a space shooter. WTF!?!?!?

Finally! This is the first time I found games at the thrift store in months.

Midway Arcade Treasures (PS2, complete)
VR Soccer 96 (PS1 longbox, no manuel)
Dragon's Lair 2 (DVD, complete)

The store asks 75 cents each per disc, so $2.25 total. The only other stuff I saw was 3 sports games and Guitar Hero 2, all PS2.

$25

Cart only Nintendo World Cup, Blades of Steel, SNK Baseball Stars for NES
Complete In box- Demolition Man and Earthworm Jim for SNES
Glacier GBA- missing battery cover, had 2 batteries taped in, works fine

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']*Phalanx(side scrolling space shooter...which has a picture of a redneck looking older guy with a Banjo on it:rofl: weirdest combination ever)
[/QUOTE]

Rednecks always see UFOs. So there's a redneck minding his own business when a random spacewar breaks out behind him. That's how I always took it, anyway. I think it's more of an attention-grabber than anything, and I definitely remember seeing that one in stores.

I've had a string of almosts lately; found disc 3 of a Final Fantasy VII and searched frantically for the others, but to no avail. I also found three out of four discs of a Dead Like Me set and a Gamecube for $10.99 that I regret now not jumping on; I could have flipped it but when I went back later it was already gone.

I did find a pile of Fear Street books I had to resist the urge to buy since I'm 12 years old.

Also, someone shit themselves in the Volunteers.

But the DVD recorder I picked up for $5 a while back works brilliantly after an incredibly simple fix, so I'm happy about that. There was a progressive scan menu that wouldn't go away and that's got to be the reason why the previous owner dumped it. Turns out the fix was to rip the P/S button right off the circuit board. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Only thing I've seen lately is a _single_ Heart of Darkness cd sitting around like somebody doesn't know it's a two disc game. Not worth messing with now that the value dropped.

Went to a couple good wills recently, but didnt get anything.

Saw a couple genesis/nes/snes games in a box, unsorted or anything, nothing good. A cart only pokemon red for $5. I saw a VHS copy of Thunderlord, which was apparently a bonus with some old video game....

Im going back to one goodwill to see if they still have a telescope I saw... was only $20...

a complete green N64 with 1 green controller and 1 yellow controller $20
boxed Nintendo PowerPad with instruction manual $15.59 :)
I've been looking for one of these for awhile. I'm quite happy to have even found a boxed one.

cart only
SNES Rock N Roll Racing $2.49
Sega Genesis Castle of Illusion $1.99
N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time $2.49

all complete Sega Dreamcast games for $1.99 each
Sonic Adventure (disc is mint)
Super Magnetic Neo (light scratches on disc, but works)
Namco Museum (disc in very good condition)

2 Nintendo Brand N64 controllers (1 gray, 1 purple) $3.99

2 Prima Pokemon guides for $3.99
Pokemon Emerald (cover is pretty beat up and missing poster)
Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby (great condition)
I think I might have overpaid for these guides, but it seems to be quite hard to find old video game strategy guides in my area :cry:

DAMN good thing i went again today-$20

NES POWER SET- NES, 2 controllers, cables, gun, perfect looking box, styrofoam coffin, powerpad, powerpad box. Also found Golf in the NES and Dance Aerobics was in the box too. No manuals or plastic wrap on anything (except the cables) or SMB/Duck Hunt/ Track Meet but idc for $20 its an easy flip on Ebay. I have a copy of the 3 game cartridge already to throwin.

Good God, something about today is amazing for thrift store video games. Huge pile of NES, SNES, Genesis, 32X and Sega CD games, mostly crap but a few quality titles like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Castlevania, Excitebike, Doom, Sonic Spinball, Royal Rumble, NBA Jam and all the Sega titles were complete. Easily the best thing I've ever seen at a thrift store, the kind of stuff that makes me curse living in a dying city with no available employment. There were a few PS2 titles, too, but nothing really worth noting. There was a Genesis and two SNES controllers, which leads me to believe there was at one point a SNES as well which would have been $4.94. Each and every title was $2.92, so for the most part that may be a bit much but definitely steals for Mario and Zelda. There was a Superscope cart as well, so from the looks of it all there was also a Superscope.

These were all just sitting out, except behind the counter there was a Genesis Game Genie. They must have thought it was special because it was gold.

Went to a "mega" Good Will today, saw an old MS-DOS game that I may go back and get - Gabriel Knight. Also saw Amazon Trail II, and a sonic and knuckles collection for PC.

A ton of sports titles for PS2 and xbox. A NBA Live 96' Longbox for ps1. Everything else was terrible. I searched all the CDs and thought I saw Tactics Ogre for PS1, but it was just the misleading text!

They also had some auctions up - A star Wars one with a ton of neat stuff, particularly a huge lego set in the back of the case that I couldnt see well.. It was at $60.00

[quote name='Potatoeman'] I searched all the CDs and thought I saw Tactics Ogre for PS1, but it was just the misleading text!0[/QUOTE]

I bought a Tactics Ogre once for $3 expecting to flip it. Never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back