Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, after months of nothing from thrift stores, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box brand new and sealed for $8.61.

Half off Electronics, nothing really worth getting. Passed on a Genesis and like 6 controllers. Also had a stack of NES and SNES games, nothing good...someone got that copy of Super Contra I wanted. I wouldve bought Lethal Enforcers for my Retron3 if the gun controller had been there too. I loved that game.

Found Left 4 Dead 2, Army of Two, and Grand theft Auto 4 for $2 ea at goodwill. They were all really scratched but Left 4 Dead and Army of Two installed fine. GTA4 didnt install though.

Went to two Goodwill's today and all I have to show for it is a copy of :xbox: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and :pc: The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition. Each was $2.99. I passed on NHL, NBA, and NFL 2K for Dreamcast for .49 cents each and Hitman 2: Silent Assassin for $2.99. Also passed on a complete Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for Sega Genesis.

Went out to another Thrift Store tonight. Found an apple keyboard and mouse set for $4.99 to use for my PS3.

So that keyboard and mouse I found for $4.99 earlier is the Apple Pro series. Looked them up online and they were about $100 for each piece. Is that seriously what they retail for or is that just a marked up price by resellers?

[quote name='jaydepps']So that keyboard and mouse I found for $4.99 earlier is the Apple Pro series. Looked them up online and they were about $100 for each piece. Is that seriously what they retail for or is that just a marked up price by resellers?[/QUOTE]

dude

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH_Auction=1&_nkw=apple+pro+keyboard&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

Just looking them up on google sometimes doesn't show the right prices, if it's an old item like that then most likely it was.

NES- dirty, system only. $5. Of course it works, I guess I have good luck with NESs cus ive never bought one that I couldnt get to work.

Stopped in the local Goodwill today, not much up front where they usually keep the games, but on the DVD rack mixed in with the movies I found Yoostar 2 for Kinect! (I guess cause it has to do with movies??) I was shocked to find such a new game at Goodwill; it's easily the 'newest' game I've ever found there. I mean how long has it been out, barely a month? It's not the greatest game, but for the 1.99 price tag I couldn't refuse. We tried playing it a bit tonight....the quality of the game is not great. You really need to set up a sheet, or have a solid color, blank wall behind you, and really good lighting. It didn't seem to perform as well as other Kinect games. kind of disappointing, so it may be getting traded-in in the very near future.

Forgot to log it here, but I picked up Popcap's Insaniquarium for PC for two bucks a month ago at the nearest Salvation Army.

Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and all the cords for $12.99. Yay or nay? Only reason I passed initially is because the controllers were fairly dirty.

Also saw a PS1 for $24.99, Sega Saturn controller for $4.99 and a Linksys Router that looked brand new for $9.99.

[quote name='Tsel']Sega Genesis with 2 controllers and all the cords for $12.99. Yay or nay? Only reason I passed initially is because the controllers were fairly dirty. [/QUOTE]

I picked up a Genesis with 2 controllers, cords (both A/V + RFU), and 3 games for ~$11 I think it was about a month ago. It was also a little dirty but cleaned up fairly easy.

[quote name='blindinglights']I picked up a Genesis with 2 controllers, cords (both A/V + RFU), and 3 games for ~$11 I think it was about a month ago. It was also a little dirty but cleaned up fairly easy.[/QUOTE]
It's doubtful, but if it's there next time I go, I'll probably pick it up.

I stopped into one of the local SA stores while my dog was being groomed at Petco.

I found(but didn't pick up) the following(and I know I'm gonna regret it):

G1 Transformers:

Rodimus Prime w/ trailer but missing his gold V wing lookin thing
Constructicons(all 6, but missing many of the connecting parts to form Devastator)
Metroplex(pretty much missing everything including 99.9% of his stickers:roll:)
Optimus Prime(truck cab portion only, no trailer, cracked windshields, faded silver on bumper and missing most stickers)

Voltron:

Old school set of I think all of the lions, but missing many of the accessories

All of these were either $2.99 each(Metroplex, Rod Prime) or $2.99 in a bagged bundle with other toys(Op Prime, Constructicons).

[quote name='WrSmega']I went down to one like a year ago, I found

FF VII-8 bucks sealed
FF VIII-10 bucks sealed

problem was, I HAD NO CASH ON ME.[/QUOTE]

All the thrift stores and Good Wills around me take debit cards and they have for quite some time.

[quote name='blindinglights']All the thrift stores and Good Wills around me take debit cards and they have for quite some time.[/QUOTE]
Same here. But I just wasn't sure I wanted the TF's at the time, since I already have at least Rodimus Prime and in better shape.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I stopped into one of the local SA stores while my dog was being groomed at Petco.

I found(but didn't pick up) the following(and I know I'm gonna regret it):

G1 Transformers:

Rodimus Prime w/ trailer but missing his gold V wing lookin thing
Constructicons(all 6, but missing many of the connecting parts to form Devastator)
Metroplex(pretty much missing everything including 99.9% of his stickers:roll:)
Optimus Prime(truck cab portion only, no trailer, cracked windshields, faded silver on bumper and missing most stickers)

Voltron:

Old school set of I think all of the lions, but missing many of the accessories

All of these were either $2.99 each(Metroplex, Rod Prime) or $2.99 in a bagged bundle with other toys(Op Prime, Constructicons).[/QUOTE]

You need to go back and get that stuff, right now :p

I bought these a while ago but after reading this I felt the need to post these.
All NES>
Dr.Mario =-)
The Karate Kid
Ghostbusters 1&2 =-)
Tetris
Gauntlet=-)
The Legend of Zelda.=-)
World Wrestling
City Connection
Ghosts and Goblins
Bases Loaded
Astyanax
Double Dribble
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest
Equipment
A "galoob" Game Genie (NES) Model #7356

Are any of these worth anything?
I am not sure how much they costed.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']You need to go back and get that stuff, right now :p[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking, but they close at 4-5pm on Mon-Tues.:cry: Maybe tomorrow...but those G1's were in meh shape.

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I bought these a while ago but after reading this I felt the need to post these.
All NES>
Dr.Mario =-)
The Karate Kid
Ghostbusters 1&2 =-)
Tetris
Gauntlet=-)
The Legend of Zelda.=-)
World Wrestling
City Connection
Ghosts and Goblins
Bases Loaded
Astyanax
Double Dribble
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest
Equipment
A "galoob" Game Genie (NES) Model #7356

Are any of these worth anything?
I am not sure how much they costed.[/QUOTE]

As far as resale value goes, you got nothin, but you did get quite a few very good games, including some underrated ones like Astyanax and City Connection, (and some real stinkers too like the Ghostbusters games and Karate Kid) but all of those are fairly uncommon as far as NES titles go, so you did well. If you did want to resell them, you'd make more money selling them in a lot, then individually.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's what I was thinking, but they close at 4-5pm on Mon-Tues.:cry: Maybe tomorrow...but those G1's were in meh shape.[/QUOTE]

I think the Voltron toys are worth quite a bit, but even at $2.99 loose G1 TFs are generally worth it.

[quote name='spmahn']As far as resale value goes, you got nothin, but you did get quite a few very good games, including some underrated ones like Astyanax and City Connection, (and some real stinkers too like the Ghostbusters games and Karate Kid) but all of those are fairly uncommon as far as NES titles go, so you did well. If you did want to resell them, you'd make more money selling them in a lot, then individually.[/QUOTE]

I ain't 'fraid o no ghost!

I don't want to sell them My grandparents bought these for m but thanks for telling me they are uncommon I like that.

BTW what does the game genie do to the games?

[quote name='Daw19yoyo']I ain't 'fraid o no ghost!

I don't want to sell them My grandparents bought these for m but thanks for telling me they are uncommon I like that.

BTW what does the game genie do to the games?[/QUOTE]

It's the original cheat device, like the Game Shark did with the more recent generations. Unfortunately, unless you have the code book, it doesn't do much.

But if you are interested, I do have a Game Genie book laying around (but no Game Genie to go with it), that I'd be willing to sell/trade.

I found these today

NES dogbone controller $2.99
Knights of old republic PC $3.99

--non-gaming--
Nirvana Nevermind $2
Nirvana In Utero $2
Jane's Addiction Ritual de lo Habitual $2

[quote name='sp00ge']It's the original cheat device, like the Game Shark did with the previous few generations. Unfortunately, unless you have the code book, it doesn't do much.

But if you are interested, I do have a Game Genie book laying around (but no Game Genie to go with it), that I'd be willing to sell/trade.[/QUOTE]

I actually do have the book, (I still have it in the car, been there for at least a year.) Sweet. Also got a few instruction book for the NES games too...fuck My dad is out and he took the car they are in. Well i gotta get them tomorro.

Also I bought a Snow board with broken straps to hang on my wall for....... you guessed it $1. I was very happy. (At a church sale a week ago.)

$70 for a dirty NES with 2 controllers, cables, and 10 common games in a dirty plastic game holder......yeah right crappy Goodwill I barely go to. If its there next time im offering half that and telling them about my $5 NES from the other Goodwill.

[quote name='Doomstink']I think the Voltron toys are worth quite a bit, but even at $2.99 loose G1 TFs are generally worth it.[/QUOTE]
Even when there's nothing else with them, meaning no accessories like their blasters?

I just kinda snickered at the Rodimus Prime one cuz I still have mine and it's in way better condition, though the stickers on the Jetfire that I still have are rolling up and falling off.:cry:

The Metroplex that they had had like one partial sticker left on it and nothing else with it.:cry: Every auction for the same one I saw on eBay had a ton of stuff for it, so chances are it wouldn't have sold for very much.

But I WAS stupid for not buying the Constructicons, since I think even without their guns n shit they're worth a good amount.:whistle2:#

Oh well.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But I WAS stupid for not buying the Constructicons, since I think even without their guns n shit they're worth a good amount.:whistle2:#

Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Devastator was what I always wanted as a kid. But I never got them, cause it means buying all of them to get Devastator. Voltron, I think, is only like $40 on ebay or so, I thought? Probably still was worth buying, but not something you'll really regret, I don't think.

Edit: Well, this recent Voltron one ended at $75: http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltron-GoLion-...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25627baf72

That's the one I played with as a kid too, heh.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, Devastator was what I always wanted as a kid. But I never got them, cause it means buying all of them to get Devastator. Voltron, I think, is only like $40 on ebay or so, I thought? Probably still was worth buying, but not something you'll really regret, I don't think.

Edit: Well, this recent Voltron one ended at $75: http://cgi.ebay.com/Voltron-GoLion-...962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25627baf72

That's the one I played with as a kid too, heh.[/QUOTE]
I still have my Constructicons though, but I should've figured from those knockoff reissues that the set would go for decent money.:cry:

I never see games at my local thrift stores. I never see anything that is even in halfway decent condition. I always see them selling broken/somewhat damaged furniture for a ton of money.

But, finally yesterday, I found DJ Hero (NEW/SEALED) for $3.99. Only thing wrong with it was it had a small tear on the back insert (which is weird since it was new and was a flawless disc). Granted, I know DJ Hero isn't that expensive NEW, and I know it didn't come with turntables, but since I took advantage of GS sale, I now own DJ Hero 1 & 2, and 2 turntables for less than $45, which is pretty sweet in my book.

Are used shoes worth ebaying?

I watched this couple buy about 50 pairs of tennis shoes (in good shape, a full range of sizes and lots of Nikes--but not vintage). They paid close to $200. I figured that they are operators, so I said to the guy . . . "do you buy for a charity?" and he admitted that they sell online. I wouldn't want to do this work but I'm guessing they will bring in a few hundred in profit on these for their labor. I watched them drive away and their plates were from a neighboring state . . . I wonder if they drive around collecting shoes???

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schultzed']Are used shoes worth ebaying?

I watched this couple buy about 50 pairs of tennis shoes (in good shape and lots of Nikes--but not vintage). They paid close to $200. I figured that they are operators, so I said to the guy . . . "do you buy for a charity?" and he admitted that they sell online. I wouldn't want to do it but I'm guessing they will bring in a few hundred in profit for their labor.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the shoe. Most of the brand new looking shoes are probably fakes. I've sold some shoes that I bought from goodwill for a decent amount (500% to 2000% profit), but you need to know how to spot a fake.

[quote name='yoyo1316']Depends on the shoe. Most of the brand new looking shoes are probably fakes. I've sold some shoes that I bought from goodwill for a decent amount (500% to 2000% profit), but you need to know how to spot a fake.[/QUOTE]

This.

I sold a pair of shoes on eBay the other week, they went for about $6.50 and shipping was $7.

Went I actually shipped it, I paid $12 for shipping I think.

So in other words: Not really worth it unless you know what you are buying.

[quote name='MYFIREMANISHUGE']Not really worth it unless you know what you are buying.[/QUOTE]

These folks looked like they know what they are doing. The shoes looked good and the were buying in quantity to spread out the risk.

I see so many people doing this kind of stuff . . . some specialize in record albums, toys, and clothes. The more you work on it, the more money you make.

I did really well at a Goodwill today, which is surprising as FL Goodwills are infamous for posting their games on their auction page.

All the following are complete and PSOne

Alundra 2 - $4
RPG Maker - $4
Final Fantasy IX, BL - $4
Final Fantasy Anthology, BL - $4
Lunar Silver Star Complete (all discs, no bonus extras) - $4
Dragon Warrior VII - $4
Skull Monkeys - $2
Final Fantasy Tactics GH - $2
Abe's Oddysee GH - $2
Pocket Fighter - $2
Front Mission III - $2
Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22, JP Import, PS the Best - $2 (came with an extra disc only copy of the game that I didnt notice until I got home)
Dragon Ball Z (unknown Subtitle), JP Import, PS the best - $2

I passed up two BL Final Fantasy Chronicles at $4 a pop, a few Crash games, an Armored Core game, and Digimon World 1 for $2. I didn't know it was worth anything, going to go back in the morning and get it if its still there. The games were scattered in the CD section. I got 10% off everything because of my law student ID. I will probably sell Lunar or DWVII to recoup the cost of the lot. Several of these games are dupes for my collection.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I did really well at a Goodwill today, which is surprising as FL Goodwills are infamous for posting their games on their auction page.

All the following are complete and PSOne

Alundra 2 - $4
RPG Maker - $4
Final Fantasy IX, BL - $4
Final Fantasy Anthology, BL - $4
Lunar Silver Star Complete (all discs, no bonus extras) - $4
Dragon Warrior VII - $4
Skull Monkeys - $2
Final Fantasy Tactics GH - $2
Abe's Oddysee GH - $2
Pocket Fighter - $2
Front Mission III - $2
Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22, JP Import, PS the Best - $2 (came with an extra disc only copy of the game that I didnt notice until I got home)
Dragon Ball Z (unknown Subtitle), JP Import, PS the best - $2

I passed up two BL Final Fantasy Chronicles at $4 a pop, a few Crash games, an Armored Core game, and Digimon World 1 for $2. I didn't know it was worth anything, going to go back in the morning and get it if its still there. The games were scattered in the CD section. I got 10% off everything because of my law student ID. I will probably sell Lunar or DWVII to recoup the cost of the lot. Several of these games are dupes for my collection.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in Digimon World if you'd be willing to go back and pick it up.

Went to savers and picked up a blue n64 controller in great condition for $4 and a guide for Metroid Zero Mission for 0.29 cents not bad but I wish I could find some n64 games

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some good finds yesterday. I got some classic PC games (that I skipped back in the day) and my first Commodore 64 game ever.
P5110003.jpg

all complete:
Warcraft II $5
Diablo $5
Lode Runner: The legend Returns $3
and found my first C64 game in with the albums.:lol:
M.U.L.E. for $0.50! ( I might trade this or put it up on ebay since getting into collecting C64 stuff looks to hardcore for my blood)

Also had another awesome find at the same thrift store. Board game related.
P5110004.jpg

missing most of the Tyranids and a couple Space Marines. Came with a Dreadnought and five Citadel paints though. Everything else was there spaceship, dice, rulebook. To bad I play IG = (

Went back for Digimon Worlds and it was gone along with the Crash games and the 2 copies of Final Fantasy Chronicles. Interestingly enough, there was a copy of Dragon Ball GT import there today that I got for $2. I'm going to check again tomorrow as it looks like they are still putting out games from that bundle that had.

[quote name='kermit036']
M.U.L.E. for $0.50! ( I might trade this or put it up on ebay since getting into collecting C64 stuff looks to hardcore for my blood)
[/QUOTE]

Commodore 64 stuff is really cool. I bought a stack of about 30 games from and ex-EA employee for $1 each last year. I've been selling them slowly on eBay, but for a while I was really tempted to keep them. The LP style packaging is really cool. My favorite game from the lot I bought was Wasteland (the precursor to Fallout), it has some really cool cover artwork.

[quote name='Kid Fresh']Went to savers and picked up a blue n64 in great condition for $4 and a guide for Metroid Zero Mission for 0.29 cents not bad but I wish I could find some n64 games[/QUOTE]

$4 for an N64 console at Savers? Geez, Savers here prices consoles without wires at $19.99, and with Wires $24.99 or higher. Somehow they aren't always there however, so some stupid people are buying them.

Only thing I found at Goodwill today was a copy of Tecmo Super Bowl 3 for SNES for $2 which I flipped right away this afternoon on Amazon for $10.

I currently have a $90 bid on a brand new in box dyson vacuum, auction ends tomorrow at closing, pretty sure I could flip it for double, that is if the wife doesnt want to keep it.

Baught a copy of madden 2010 for $5 and for $8 for it literally down the street.

about a month back I found a copy of Collin Powells autobiography signed and #ed, limited to 2000 copies. Got it for $2, sold for $40.

And lastly Skys of Arcadia for DC for $6, complete, but disc 1 has a crack coming from the center hole :(, it doesnt make contact with the data area of the disc, but it will be hard to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back